HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery the modern version of

Old
02-10-2007, 04:33 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Really? You didn't think that highstick was on purpose last night? Avery is dirty, but he will also go to any length to protect his teammates and delivery retribution.

The way everyone is absolving him of his dirty nature and smack talk makes me think back to when Barnaby came to us. And that's no offense to you P25G988, if that's your honest opinion I respect it but personally I have felt that Avery is dirty, just not as dirty as Tucker.
I am really late to the Avery party (work has been keeping me away from the boards) however, it a pie-in-the-sky scenario, one (if he has ingested enough of Melnyk's happy pills) can hope that Aver can be a late bloomer like Tucker and turn into a replica. Though he is not nearly the intimidating hitter that Tucker is, he is a better skater. Dirty-wise, I am betting that with enough time, Avery will do enough Tucker-like things.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:38 PM
BwayBshirt

it's kind of a weird thought but...

imagine having avery, barnaby, nieminen, kasparaitis AND hollweg on this team right now.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:32 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Barnaby?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Kind of similar to Barnaby yeah, Avery's a better skater though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha25Graves988 View Post
Well i couldnt argue with it, as I dont know much about him, but i think enough to throw out an opinion.

I was actually gonna say similar to barnaby, but because Avery has some offensive ability I see him becoming more of a Tucker who as of the last cople years can put the puck in the net. as Barnaby can but not like Tucker. i think thats where my comparison comes from the offensive side.
I guess I wasn't very clear with my comment. I wasn't commenting about playing styles. I was making a comment about the similarities in how the perception about them changed the second they became Rangers.

Prior to Barnaby's stint here, and a week ago for Avery, many, many Ranger fans thought these guys were dirty, cheap, annoying and players without much skill. You know the cliche, player you hate to play against but love to have on your team. It's just funny cause if you look through the Avery trade thread you will see some less than colorful posts about him. I haven't really seen anything since his first though...

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Barnaby?
That's what comes to mind for me.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:32 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
I guess I wasn't very clear with my comment. I wasn't commenting about playing styles. I was making a comment about the similarities in how the perception about them changed the second they became Rangers.

Prior to Barnaby's stint here, and a week ago for Avery, many, many Ranger fans thought these guys were dirty, cheap, annoying and players without much skill. You know the cliche, player you hate to play against but love to have on your team. It's just funny cause if you look through the Avery trade thread you will see some less than colorful posts about him. I haven't really seen anything since his first though...
That is not uncommon. I hated Derek Sanderson with a passion, but he remains to this day one of my all time favorite rangers, especially after he beat the crap out of Bobby Clarke behind the goal one noght in Philly as a Ranger!

You hate having to have your team play against players like that but love to have them on your side. Take tonight's game as an example. He didn't score, though he did have a number of good chances, rather the focus should be on how distracting he was during the whole game for the cap players. Therein lies the value of a player like Avery and those that people have mentioned.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:03 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
That's what comes to mind for me.
IMO, he's much smarter on the ice and more talented than Barnaby. I'd actually call Barnaby a poor man's Avery.

Avery has a LOT of untapped offense in his body. Pair him with a legit scorer in the future (like Shanny if he stays) and I think you see him flourish.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:43 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
IMO, he's much smarter on the ice and more talented than Barnaby. I'd actually call Barnaby a poor man's Avery.

Avery has a LOT of untapped offense in his body. Pair him with a legit scorer in the future (like Shanny if he stays) and I think you see him flourish.
What has impressed me the most is his feel for the game. He is a very smart and aware player. Anyone who goes to the net gets my attention. You can't always score pretty goals. Teams that win score ugly. After watching the game tonight and seeing the feature on Pyatt I am less upset about losing MA Cliche.

Old
02-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

God

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:06 AM
JerseyRangers

I'd say Tikkanen though Esa in his prime was probably better offensively. Barnaby is not a bad comparison though just watching what little I've seen of Avery his offensive skills are much better and he's a much better skater than Matt ever was. Gotta admit I hadn't seen much of him before but I gotta say I think he's going to surprise some people with his offense. He's got the talent to become a 2nd line player.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:20 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:

It's true, lol. Like you said though, they're the type of players you hate till there on your team. I thought Barnaby was a ******* when he was playing on the lightning, now I'm obviously a big fan. Avery allegedly has said some shaddy things in the past, but he looks like nothing but a good addition for us here. That's the way it goes with trades though, when they work.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:43 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikO'doyle View Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9BdZX8vRdhs

^Thats actually a video of Tikkanen attacking Marty Mcsorley, pretty funny. It starts off with Mcsorley fighting Messier. As for Avery I think of him being like Barnaby the most.
That was awesome!

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Taz

I really like the trade so far, he does alot of little things out there that the team did not do before hand, he bumps after the whistle and draws penalties, throws a few hits and goes to the net, his offence looks nice with good decisions being made. Hope he can keep it up and we sign him in the summer he looks like he could take another step.

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:17 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Agreed. Avery isn't half as talented as Linseman.

Ahhh games were more fun then.

It would be nice to add back Linseman, Behn Wilson, Boxcar Hospadar, Fotiu the Maloney borthers and George McPhee ... back into some Rangers/Flyers games again.
As long as we don't have to watch Bobby Clarke, one of the filthiest players to ever lace them up.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Thundermare

Barnaby is the best comparaison if you ask me... as for linseman he was far more talented... and I hated him even more than I did for Avery... and that is already a lot

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post

It's hard to tell from my end.

I think Avery has more natural talent, but I always thought Barnaby's skills were underrated. Had Barnaby been in his prime in a more open NHL I don't think 20-25 goals and 50-55 points were out of the question.

From a point perspective I see them both being around the same area. I think Avery has the edge on points whereas Barnaby would get into more scraps. But I think as a general opinion, their roles are pretty similar.

If Avery can grow as a player and a person this could be one of those deals that we look back on and smile (see Barnaby, Jagr, etc.)

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:55 PM
snowcloud

Avery reminds me of Tikkanen, actually.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Ola

Quote:
I'll be the first one to admit that.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:31 PM
outofrange

I never really liked Avery because I thought he was a very dirty player that didn't have much skill. Even though I still think he's a pest he's very useful and skilled. Surprisingly.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:06 PM
dank

hahah, just saw this..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:45 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I dont know if this analogy has been made yet or not and I dont believe it has from skimming through the thread, but I truely believe Sean Avery is the modern version of Adam Graves. Besides Shanny, we havent had a true player who will stand in front of the net and cause havoc consistently. He has some offensive upside, I think he is going to blossom into a big scorer eventually. He is still young and is a ball of energy like Graves was. Loving this addition, really has lifted the team, lets hope it continues.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:40 AM
n_a_c

I agree that he reminds me of Esa Tikannen.

I hope that in the playoffs, he can turn into more of a Claude Lemieux. I hated (would have loved him on my team) Claude because the more important the game, the better he played.

But most of all, Avery looks like pretty boy Joey Kocur to me. Just his face. Kocur was much slower, a punched much harder, couldn't handle the puck at speed, and didn't play quite as chippy/annoying as Avery. But I think they look alike with the helmet on.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:59 AM
blue2noise

Another one i hated to death was Dale Hunter. But i think Avery has more skill.

I agree he is more of a skilled version of Barnaby.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:02 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I dont know if this analogy has been made yet or not and I dont believe it has from skimming through the thread, but I truely believe Sean Avery is the modern version of Adam Graves. Besides Shanny, we havent had a true player who will stand in front of the net and cause havoc consistently. He has some offensive upside, I think he is going to blossom into a big scorer eventually. He is still young and is a ball of energy like Graves was. Loving this addition, really has lifted the team, lets hope it continues.
Love the Avery deal, but you are comparing one of the most well mannered, classiest people off the ice to Avery. That's a bit of a stretch but i can see what you mean on the ice. Gravy was more of a responder to the dirty stuff though than an instigator of it, as Avery is.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 07:59 PM
1940NOMORE

Send a message via AIM to 1940NOMORE
Hey Atlanta,

Old enough to remember Sawchuck (I think) arranged for Teddy Green to need a steel plate in his head?

I am. =;~)

1940NOMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:42 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940NOMORE View Post
Hey Atlanta,

Old enough to remember Sawchuck (I think) arranged for Teddy Green to need a steel plate in his head?

I am. =;~)
Wayne Maki, Chico Maki's brother was the one who clubbed Mean Teddy Green. Green was a nasty SOB with a bad rep for stick work, think of the character in slapshot and you are fairly close. You had a young player, Wayne Maki, who was scared of getting into an altercation with someone like Green and whack, I'm gonna get you before you carve me up.

There was very little sentiment towards Green that he didn't get what he deserved.
Terrible to say, but the guy, Green had no seconds thoughts about hatching up someone. I remember the event well.

I also remeber Terry Sawchuk's last shutout. He was the backup to Eddie Giacomin back in 69-70 and if I remember right it was number 100. Next year he dies in an altercation with room mate Ron Stewart. Very strange set of circumstances.