HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hossa (Merged with Poll)

View Poll Results: Are You a Hossa Supporter?
YES -I always Hoped for the best with him 108 55.10%
YES -I was not a supporter of him at the start of this season but i'm liking him now! 63 32.14%
NO - I wasn't a supporter of him and despite him playing better he shouldnt be on the Team 11 5.61%
NO - I wasnt a supporter of him from the start, still not. 14 7.14%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-10-2007, 10:02 PM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Hossa (Merged with Poll)

We need to trade this guy ASAP while his stock is high, we will never ever ever have a better chance to jettison this dead weight and get a decent return than NOW!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:04 PM
IanB

Renney has been patient with him forever and we all hated him for it. Now that its starting to seem worthwile, you want him traded?

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:05 PM
NYROrtsFan

I am still trying to figure out what happened to him to make him play like this...

I hated the guy more than anything months ago but if he plays like this, he's the type of guy you want to keep... Very good defensively, works hard, EXCELLENT speed and good hands offensively. Seems like Jagr has taken a liking to him which is good too.

If this continues then i'll give Renney tons of credit because i thought he should have been gone long ago.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:10 PM
ThirdEye

Simple: Now that he's on the first line he has a huge responsibility to make things happen. He knows that to play with Jagr and Straka you have to step it up a notch and that's what he's been doing. Put him on the third of fourth line and he'll be falling asleep as usual

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:14 PM
NYROrtsFan

Even before he was moved up he had been playing well... I still want to know what happened to him and where the real Marcel is. Running out of people to blame.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:14 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Simple: Now that he's on the first line he has a huge responsibility to make things happen. He knows that to play with Jagr and Straka you have to step it up a notch and that's what he's been doing. Put him on the third of fourth line and he'll be falling asleep as usual
Exactly, and he doesn't have anyone to pass to in the offensive zone or he doesn't have to worry about trying to get open because nobody is getting the puck to the net or finding him anyway.

People are saying "Well lets see how he does in a few more games, he'll probably fall back down to earth like always" but i've been watching Hossa closely over the past 2 months and he has pretty much done nothing different in the past few weeks but play with better players that play an offensive game. That's why i'm very confident we are watching Hossa finally breakout to the player we hoped for.

Time will tell.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Hossa's been fantastic for the last two months. One of our most unheralded players out there. And now we want to trade him?!

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:17 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Hossa's been fantastic for the last two months. One of our most unheralded players out there. And now we want to trade him?!

Thank you. I thought I was the only one who realized how great his play has been over the past 2 months and not just over the past 5 games.

Old
02-10-2007, 10:19 PM
AXN

I thought Hossa is going to be a healthy scratch every night but he played well defensively to play on the third and fourth line. Now he is getting a chance on the first line. If he can score then he is going to be a good player. Has good size and seems to improve his defensive game but playing with Straka and Jagr means he can become a decent scorer. Something he really lacks.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:20 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Hossa is a Renny project...he loves him and he's going nowhere

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
agreed, and let me reiterate that Ive been a MAJOR Hossa killer over on my blog, i repeatedly have called for him to be waived this year, but the last month+ has definitely changed my mind, which im happy to admit.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:52 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Thank you. I thought I was the only one who realized how great his play has been over the past 2 months and not just over the past 5 games.
I have been supporting him for as long as I can remember. I think he's going to have a little more up and down time before he becomes more consistent though. The most important thing that Marcel learned though is that he has to do the little things on defense and physical side of the game and his scoring will come naturally with his skill level.

I'm just excited to have a Jagr sized player out there that can get the puck to the true goal scorers.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:53 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Exactly, and he doesn't have anyone to pass to in the offensive zone or he doesn't have to worry about trying to get open because nobody is getting the puck to the net or finding him anyway.

People are saying "Well lets see how he does in a few more games, he'll probably fall back down to earth like always" but i've been watching Hossa closely over the past 2 months and he has pretty much done nothing different in the past few weeks but play with better players that play an offensive game. That's why i'm very confident we are watching Hossa finally breakout to the player we hoped for.

Time will tell.
I have to say that I lost all willingness to wait on this guy. That's why we are fans and the guys we criticize get paid. What I do see, or saw, was Renney mentoring a player, why him and not Prucha I don't know. But, having said that, there is always a player, or type of player that a coach has the hots for and wants to so badly turn them into their full potential, hence you have Renney & Hossa.

Hossa is a big boy that protects the puck well. What we are seeing is the transformation of that player. So far he has accepted the challenge and elivated his game. Is Hossa a Czech or a Slovac? Either way, you know the guy is crazed to be playing with Jagr and Starka. He provides the physical element tot he line, the mucker, ala Don Maloney. If that what he is turning into I do not think we will be complaining and many will be posting that, yeah, I saw that coming ever since we got'em it was just a matter of him playing with quality players and getting qulaity minutes. Then there will be the group that will be just waiting for him to slump to say I told you so, I knew it was a fluke.

I'm more inclined to commend, begrudgingly, Renney patience with him. From that I gain hope that Renney actually is interested in developing players, maybe just not wet, green behind the ears players.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Geogaddi

Quote:
I've felt the same way...The guy has been one of the best secrets on this team. For all the people who say Trade him bc hes "garbage" non-sense,they look for him to be his brother. Well how was he suppost to be anything like his Brother if hes playing on 3rd and 4th lines? Even if he wasnt putting up Points, hes been Great on the PK and great Defensively. Now the Offense is coming around, and he can be a Complete player. Im excited to see if he can be Consistent with his Offense coming up, but yet still be Sound Defensively.

BTW love the Avatar FLY

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:54 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

I don't see why people are surprised by his play. He has been the hardest working Ranger all year long. He's been one of the few players who hasn't taken shifts off. He's been one of the few forwards who has been excellent in his own zone. The only thing you could possibly criticize him for is not putting up points. But now all the hustle and hard work is starting to pay off for him. About time. I can't figure out for the life of me why this is coming as a shock to anyone. Now I'm not going to pretend that after 2 games of putting points on the board that he's the second coming of,well, Marion Hossa, but hopefully he continues to produce like this for the rest of the season and into next year. He's got the work ethic, hopefully he has the talent too.

Oh, and don't think I'm jumping on the bandwagon here; I've been saying this all year long. A simple search through some of my post will show my feelings on this.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Speedtrials

It has been great to see him get to play with Jagr on a top line, and so far he is playing very well there. I've been trying to think of a player to compare him to but I can't. I don't think he will ever come close to the player his brother is, but I do think he can be a 15-20 goal scorer. And as it has been mentioned, Renney deserves a ton of credit in what he has done for Marcel. Not many teams would have kept giving Hossa all the playing time he has been getting over the past two seasons.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
agreed, and let me reiterate that Ive been a MAJOR Hossa killer over on my blog, i repeatedly have called for him to be waived this year, but the last month+ has definitely changed my mind, which im happy to admit.
Same here. I've hammered the guy so many times that I lost count.

I'm impressed lately, though. Very impressed.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:20 PM
NYR469

hossa has played 117 games as a ranger and has a rather pathetic 15g, 11a, 26p...but i went thru and broke down the points when he was on the ice with fellow NTB vs on the ice with good players...

of his point...10 goals, 9 assists and 19 points have come when he's been on the ice with some combo of jagr, nylander, straka, shanahan, rucinsky or sykora...only 5 goals, 2 assists, 7 points with the NTB. in fact since Jan 16, 2006 he only has 1 goal when on the ice with the NTB, in that span he has 7-5-12 when playing with good linemates...

if you consider how rarely he has played with those top linemates compared to the time he's spent on the bottom 2 lines that makes the difference even more drastic. i have no way of figuring out exactly how much time he has played with those top guys vs the ntb but if i had to take a guess i'd say we'd probably be talking about a point/game player when given a chance to play with those guys vs a point/month player when he doesn't.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
he stays.

end of discussion.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:46 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:

Time will tell.
Yeah, I have noticed it as well and now I think he is one of my favorite Rangers.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:56 PM
score77

Send a message via AIM to score77
Hossa has been one of my favorite players this season, even before he started scoring. Speaking of him any one know the name and artist of that song they play during his interviews? the one that says hossa hossa hossa. I think al said it was a mexican dance song or something like that. if Marcel continues to play like this i want that as a ringtone on my phone.

score77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:57 PM
FLYLine24*

Are You a Hossa Supporter?

How do you feel about him?

(I've requested to merge this and the other Hossa thread...so you can vote here and respond in the other one until they are merged)

Old
02-11-2007, 12:04 AM
Prucha25Graves988*

No, I dont support him. Ok, so he is having a couple good games, thats what happens when you play with the GREAT JAGR. And thats a fact. this kid Hossa is a bust and will never live up to be like anything his brother is.he is jut a good utility player who can fill in where you need a player at the moment be it 1st line or 4th, thats IMO.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
ive been supporting him for a while now and it seems to be paying off a bit as of now

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote