HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2014, 04:18 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I wasn't trying to say they were.
Then the Staal and Toews thing makes no sense.

Staal was picked first because of his defensive game and was clearly behind Toews offensively.

Bennett is right there with Reinhart both offensively and defensively.

Old
02-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I agree with this. It doesn't take 4-5 years to see whether a top forward prospect will have an impact or not... sure many forwards don't come into their full impact potential until their mid 20's but they are contributing solidly well before that... like RNH, Hall, Eberle have and like many, many other forwards (Couturier, Landeskog etc) have done.

Dmen I could see taking a few more years but with high end forwards you usually can see whether or not they are going to have an impact before 4-5 years.
but often takes 4 or 5 years to actually make an impact. RNH is not, at this moment, an impact player and he is about to complete his 3rd season. I seriously doubt Reinhart will be an impact player before 2017. If he is, he is the exception (ie, Toews), not the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honestly what do you think the Oilers get for that pick? Say Ekblad and Reinhart are off the board and the Oilers traded their #3 pick.

I think people overestimate what teams would give up for a pick like that. Do you think they give up a legit #2 C or a top pairing dman... or a big gritty physical top 6 winger?

If a team is buying a lottery ticket on a player like DalColle or Draisaitl they aren't likely going to give up an established top NHL player for that.

People will then say... ya but a package deal would be different.. say Gagner + that #3 pick for example. Well maybe. Even then though would a team give up a legit top pairing dman for that package?

Do you get a Yandle or Myers for that? Maybe.
Do you get a Couturier for that? Maybe

Do those trades help your team... maybe... nothing is certain just like keeping and making that pick isn't a certainty either.

Do you make those deals? Maybe... maybe not though as you just might be better off with the pick and getting that ELC player and letting him develop and then dealing the other assets you were going to trade away for other pieces.
it's a tough decision, no doubt. Obviously if the trade isn't there you can't do it. But they should be of the mindset, right now, that if Ekblad isn't there we want to move the pick. That is plan A. Actually using the pick is plan B, or should be. Adding another 18 year old is not what this organization should be looking to do, especially when one considers the Oilers' despicable record of developing players improperly.

the here and now should be more important than the future. Next year counts!!! I've had it up to here with this obscure future.

Old
02-16-2014, 08:00 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Bennett and Staal aren't even remotely comparable.
Agreed, Bennett actually reminds me a bit of Matt Duchene but with more grit

Old
02-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

vCash: 500
Another year, another high draft pick, eh boys? I like to think of this season like this video:

Samwise is Gagner.
Frodo represents the rest of the players.
Gollum is Oilers management and coaching
"..lots of chances or turning back.." is requesting a trade.
"The good" they are fighting for is a high draft pick.
You fill in the rest.

Old
02-16-2014, 10:06 PM
rockinghockey

I like all three of the top prospects but I just think that Bennett is a bit small. We have enough undersized players as it is. Yes, he plays hard but we need size in the top 6.

We have depth at the dman position but they are all left shooting dmen. Ekblad is a right shooting dman. Plus he will be a legit top pairing dman along with Nurse in the future. He has the size and the skills. For a player his size he skates really well and has a really nice shot. I was very impressed with him at the world juniors. I just don't know if we should play him in the NHL next year or not, he does have the size.

Reinhart is playing lights out. He made the Juniors this year and looked really good. He has a very good two way game and thinks the game very good.

As long as we get the 2nd over all pick and get one of Ekblad or Reinhart I will be happy. Then we have to see what MacT will do in the off season. If we draft Ekblad we have to do a package deal with Petry to get a better right shooting dman. A player like Bogo would be perfect.

Old
02-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

This draft is actually perfect for the Oilers. If we improve in the standings in the 2nd half which I predict we will, we are still picking in the top 10.

If I were MacT my draft board looks like this.

Ekblad/Reinhart
Draisaitl
Dal Colle
Virtanen
Fleury

Possibly even have Virtanen higher than Dal Colle.

I am just not sold on Bennett this year. He is a natural LW and he doesn't bring anything into the top 6 that would justify pushing one of Perron, Yak etc out.

Old
02-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I know Bennett plays a hard game put the kid is small when he hits a NHL player that is 30 lbs bigger he will be the one breaking
Zac Rinaldo - 5'11 169 156 hits in 49 games and 5 fighting majors

Wayne Simmonds - 6'2 183 88 hits in 56 games and 5 fighting majors

Fight in the dog, not the dog in the fight. Those are only 2 examples, there's plenty of others (Mike Richards, Andrew Shaw). Bennett will be fine, not to mention he could be 6'1 190-195 by the time he gets here (if that is who we take AND we send him back for a year).

Old
02-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
I am just not sold on Bennett this year. He is a natural LW and he doesn't bring anything into the top 6 that would justify pushing one of Perron, Yak etc out.
He has played center his entire junior career. He played wing when he was with McDavid on the Marlies midget team and now people want to dub him a winger? I'm missing something I guess.

Old
02-16-2014, 10:54 PM
okgooil

I think people are really underrating Perlini. After Ekblad it would be tempting to take him. He would fit in great in Edmonotn, big strong, great skating left winger.

Old
02-17-2014, 02:14 AM
DousedInOil

Ehlers with a +45 rating right now playing for the Mooseheads. Definitely in my top 10 right now.

Old
02-17-2014, 02:58 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Ehlers with a +45 rating right now playing for the Mooseheads. Definitely in my top 10 right now.
Ashton Sautner is +48.

Old
02-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
This draft is actually perfect for the Oilers. If we improve in the standings in the 2nd half which I predict we will, we are still picking in the top 10.

If I were MacT my draft board looks like this.

Ekblad/Reinhart
Draisaitl
Dal Colle
Virtanen
Fleury

Possibly even have Virtanen higher than Dal Colle.

How is Bennett a natural LW. He has played center for the last two years and likes to pattern his game after Mike Richards.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:16 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ashton Sautner is +48.
Except that Nikolaj has 33 goals and 77 points in 53 games as a rookie. It's not easy to lead your team in plus minus, shots, ppgs, and shg as a rookie. I don't think the Oilers have any interest in him but aftering being named one of the 3 stars of the week and leading the league in rookie scoring, I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to rise.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:23 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I think people are really underrating Perlini. After Ekblad it would be tempting to take him. He would fit in great in Edmonotn, big strong, great skating left winger.
I would much rather have Ritchie. Maybe im in the minority but Perlini's 24 PIMS don't really stack up to the 116 PIMS Ritchie has. I would like to add a big guy that would drop the gloves for our skilled guys every once in a while.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Except that Nikolaj has 33 goals and 77 points in 53 games as a rookie. It's not easy to lead your team in plus minus, shots, ppgs, and shg as a rookie. I don't think the Oilers have any interest in him but aftering being named one of the 3 stars of the week and leading the league in rookie scoring, I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to rise.
As someone who hasn't watched him, I'm a little skeptical. Playing with Drouin and a bunch of producing overagers, I suppose either his stats could be inflated, or perhaps he's learning from some great players and his skill level is rising.

I really need to start subscribing to these streaming services. Have you watched him much?

Old
02-17-2014, 12:10 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I watch him on home ice all the time and I disagree. He wouldnt be bad choice for us if something crazy happened and we drafted in the 5-8 range, but I don't see him fitting the bill for what we need. He uses his size well on the puck, but he is not very physical. Good speed and great shot... but I just feel there are a handful of players before him that fill a greater need for us.

Old
02-17-2014, 12:32 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
As someone who hasn't watched him, I'm a little skeptical. Playing with Drouin and a bunch of producing overagers, I suppose either his stats could be inflated, or perhaps he's learning from some great players and his skill level is rising.

I really need to start subscribing to these streaming services. Have you watched him much?
Obviously hes lucky to be playing with Drouin. I think he has really learned a lot from him as the year has progressed. He is definitely finishing plays that Drouin strats but he is more than capable of being the playmaker as well. I don't think he is just putting up points because of Drouin, he is a dynamic player in his own right. He is extremely fast, can stick handle around guys with ease and has a wicked release.

Obviously I haven't see him live, so maybe a mooseheads fan could tell us more.

Check out 2:19 to see him finish his check.

Vancouver scout at 1:23 says other scouts think he is top 10

Shows off his creativity at 0:40 and 1:28 but cant finish

Last edited by DousedInOil: 02-17-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old
02-17-2014, 01:49 PM
40oz

Shawn Mullin ‏@shawnmullin
@EdmontonOilers GM Craig MacTavish is in the house today to watch the @SCBroncos and @PARaidersHockey

I guess MacT is checking out Draisaitl and Honka today.

edit, Aparrently he said he was in town to see Honka, Martin, Draisaitl, and Lernout. And after this he's heading to Quebec to check out Marco Roy.

Edit 2:
Draisaitl with a ppg and an assist, Honka with a goal too.

Bennett with a hattrick today.

Last edited by 40oz: 02-17-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old
02-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Meh. I have no interest in draft picks and 18 year old prospects. Too jaded. Wake me up when any of these kids make the Oilers a better team, like in 3 years. That's if I still can stand watching Oiler hockey by then.

Old
02-17-2014, 04:27 PM
rockinghockey

No one enjoys losing but if we are we should just go for the best pick we can get

Old
02-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Shizuka

Sam Bennett with a hat trick for Kingston today as well, just to keep score. His stat line is now 49GP 32g 50a 82pts +35 103pim.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Quinteoilers

I hope management is scouting Tyler Hill of the Ottawa 67's. 6'6" 236lbs I watched him play a few weeks ago. He protected the puck well and won board battles. He lacked blazing speed,but a lot of big guys do. To me he's the sort of guy you draft and develop, until he "grows into his body"

Old
02-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Agreed, Bennett actually reminds me a bit of Matt Duchene but with more grit
I have only youtube clips to go off of at this point but he reminded me a lot of Duchene. I have heard that he plays a bit of a gritty game but he has all of 1 fight in his career. Does he hit a lot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
Meh. I have no interest in draft picks and 18 year old prospects. Too jaded. Wake me up when any of these kids make the Oilers a better team, like in 3 years. That's if I still can stand watching Oiler hockey by then.
We need more high end skill and a bunch of quality support players, the draft alone will not solve all of our problems but it's a lot easier getting a 1D or a 1B center via the top end of the draft than by any other means.

02-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

I decided to look into Bennett's penalties to see how many of them were aggression based penalties.

Fighting 0
Roughing 10
Boarding 0
Charging 1
Cross Checking 5
Checking From Behind 1
Slew Foot (Major/Match Penalty) 1
Slashing 5
Hooking 3
Holding 1
Holding The Stick 1
Tripping 7
High Sticking 6
Interference 3
Goalie Interference 5
Unsportsmanlike Conduct 1

Old
02-17-2014, 10:27 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
A fair amount of those penalties are okay in my book.

:O

10 Roughing penalties. Nioce.

Needs to tone down the Tripping/Highstick though.

Closed Thread