HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Trade Weber?

View Poll Results: Should Poile think of trading Weber to add to offense?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Wait for him to ask 0 0%
Only for an extreme overpayment(Top three player,Top six prospect,top 4D, and a 1st) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2014, 05:41 PM
predshabs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Only one or two fans want to trade Weber. Most of know what you are saying is true. Watching team Canada it is clear Weber is the best Defenseman on that team (which has two Norris popularity contest winners). The only people that want to trade him are chasing any offensive minded player and thinks that Trotz is going to allow that guy to develop. The only player I would trade Weber for is Crosby.
So I take it we can count you in the only one or two fans who want to trade Weber then. Welcome glad you came over to the dark side.

Weber is the best defenseman. I have not seen anyone on here saying other wise. This is a clear offense vs defense debate not how good Weber is.

Dan Marino was great too but how many Super Bowls did my Dolphins win with him? 0

Last edited by predshabs: 02-14-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old
02-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
So I take it we can count you in the only one or two fans who want to trade Weber then. Welcome glad you came over to the dark side.

Weber is the best defenseman. I have not seen anyone on here saying other wise. This is a clear offense vs defense debate not how good Weber is.

Dan Marino was great too but how many Super Bowls did my Dolphins win with him? 0
Marino was an offensively minded player

Old
02-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
It is possible for things to end up not working out with Weber in the end. (I don't think it likely, but it's possible). Does that therefore automatically qualify for desperation? Or are we still overreacting to Suter's departure?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by AtlantaWhaler: 02-14-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: QDP
Old
02-14-2014, 11:04 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Marino was an offensively minded player
Marino=star player= no super bowl
Weber=star player=?????????

Teams that win championships are balanced.

Old
02-14-2014, 11:32 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Translation: "It's not completely perfect, therefore it's a total disaster in the making."
Would you pretty please not put words in my mouth? It's not very kind to others. Also, the words that you made up do not compromise my opinion, so that tends to make others upset. Just give it some thought to your future interactions with me and others.

Thank you for your kind consideration in this matter.

Last edited by dulzhok: 02-14-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old
02-14-2014, 11:41 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
You realize, of course, that there are states in between "win-win" and "desperation", yes?
Also, would you pretty please not be so condescending--- thanks for considering that. If you would like further clarification, I am happy to give it to you.

Here is further clarification... There will never be an easy win-win situation with the prospect of trading Weber. He's our best player and one of the only real pieces with have. If we had a fuller roster of talent, trading Weber might not hurt as much. But then again, if we fuller roster of talent, we'd like be contending for the cup and trading Weber wouldn't be given much thought.

Unfortunately yes, we are in a pretty desperation situation. We only a few assets and are going on a 2nd lottery season. There is no "win" scenario. It's all hard decisions. It's possible to make the "right" hard decisions for the future, and it's possible to screw things up further.

And it's also possible to just keep doing what we've always been doing, with minor tweaks and more of the same. And honestly-- that's what I expect Poile to do... I also expect the same results he's gotten the past 30 years.

Old
02-14-2014, 11:45 PM
PFL615

Ladies ladies, it's Valentines Day can we not be nice and sweet for 24 hours!?!!

Old
02-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
Marino=star player= no super bowl
Weber=star player=?????????

Teams that win championships are balanced.
Football and Hockey are completely different sports. Marino could not play defense.

Getting one or two offensive players for him is not going to do anything but destroy this team. Trotz chokes the life out of offensive hockey, getting your superhero Hall (which is my last name) is going to be a drop in the bucket. We become the Edmonton Oilers who are farther from the cup than Nashville is.

Old
02-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Also, would you pretty please not be so condescending--- thanks for considering that. If you would like further clarification, I am happy to give it to you.

Here is further clarification... There will never be an easy win-win situation with the prospect of trading Weber. He's our best player and one of the only real pieces with have. If we had a fuller roster of talent, trading Weber might not hurt as much. But then again, if we fuller roster of talent, we'd like be contending for the cup and trading Weber wouldn't be given much thought.

Unfortunately yes, we are in a pretty desperation situation. We only a few assets and are going on a 2nd lottery season. There is no "win" scenario. It's all hard decisions. It's possible to make the "right" hard decisions for the future, and it's possible to screw things up further.

And it's also possible to just keep doing what we've always been doing, with minor tweaks and more of the same. And honestly-- that's what I expect Poile to do... I also expect the same results he's gotten the past 30 years.
Lack of faith is not a valid, rational basis for discarding alternative possibilities.

Old
02-17-2014, 07:49 AM
JamestheSame

What's with all the trade Weber posts?

This season isn't over yet.

Lets say Rinne comes back and the team begins playing better. Will people still want to trade Weber or will you all just want to trade a few forwards?

Old
02-17-2014, 08:00 AM
AintLifeGrand

If there was a lateral Malkin for Weber swap…would that make us a better team?

Old
02-17-2014, 08:07 AM
JamestheSame

Alright guys, so I was building a team that I thought most people here might like:

The first line is Van Riemsdyk - Crosby - Kane.

I'm trying to figure who else we need. Any suggestions?

Old
02-17-2014, 09:26 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
The poll is closed, so I can't cast my vote, but as a fan of a team who would despeerately need, and would probably give a king's ransom for Weber, my vote would be a resounding "no" on trading Weber.

02-17-2014, 12:37 PM
twig

How anyone can even think of trading
webber is beyond me.

They are trying to build a cup team,
Not, destroy it.

Old
02-17-2014, 01:17 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
How anyone can even think of trading
webber is beyond me.

They are trying to build a cup team,
Not, destroy it.
You do it if you feel the return makes your team more well balanced all the way around. One player does not make a team and as good as Weber is, Josi and Jones will fill the void in time and if you land a top 3 center and other pieces for Weber you do it in a heart beat.

Old
02-17-2014, 01:28 PM
predshabs

Here is an interesting read about the chances Poile trades Weber, it includes a trade that I never thought about when Philadelphia aquired Mark Howe.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...Weber/45/58043

Old
02-17-2014, 01:30 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
You do it if you feel the return makes your team more well balanced all the way around. One player does not make a team and as good as Weber is, Josi and Jones will fill the void in time and if you land a top 3 center and other pieces for Weber you do it in a heart beat.
I agree with this. We only trade Weber if team becomes more balanced after the deal.

Old
02-17-2014, 02:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Top 3 center, as in top 3 in the nhl, or just a top line center?

Old
02-17-2014, 02:21 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Lack of faith is not a valid, rational basis for discarding alternative possibilities.
Are we talking about Scientology or scenarios of trading Weber?

Old
02-17-2014, 02:23 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
If there was a lateral Malkin for Weber swap…would that make us a better team?
Malkin has a no-trade clause. I think there's a .01% chance he'll waive it to go to Nashvile.

Also, after the Kovalchuk and Radulov debacle, no way does Poile trade our prized asset for a Russia, even though he is a great Russian.

Last edited by dulzhok: 02-17-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old
02-17-2014, 02:42 PM
PFL615

I would not do Malkin for Weber straight up. Pitt would have to add. Im not even sure i would want Malkin with the run to Russia factor when things don't go your way.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

I posted this in another Weber thread

St. Louis trades Pronger to Edmonton. Result: Oilers make cup finals, Blues go into crapper for 5 plus years

Edmonton trades Pronger to Anaheim. Result: Ducks win cup, Oilers go to crapper for 10 plus years.

Anaheim trades Pronger to Philly. Result: Flyers make finals, Ducks struggle for years.

Ray Bourque won the cup in Avs uni, Bruins did not nosedive but they were an also ran for a few years in a weak Divison

Wings never trade Lidstrom win 4 cups.

Franchise Defenseman don't grow on trees and trading one does not turn out too well for the trader.

Last edited by Gnashville: 02-17-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old
02-17-2014, 10:30 PM
dulzhok

I see your point but you are only using examples that work for what you are saying.

Quote:
Ray Bourque won the cup in Avs uni, Bruins did not nosedive but they were an also ran for a few years in a weak Divison
What about the 20 years Ray Bourque spent in a Boston uniform with only mild team success? He had to be traded to a team with more talent around him to get his cup.

Al McInnis and Chris Pronger never won a cup in St Louis, and actually had quite a bit of forward talent around them.

Rob Blake.

You can use Nick Lidstrom as an example I suppose, but he had tons of talent around him as well.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I posted this in another Weber thread

St. Louis trades Pronger to Edmonton. Result: Oilers make cup finals, Blues go into crapper for 5 plus years

Edmonton trades Pronger to Anaheim. Result: Ducks win cup, Oilers go to crapper for 10 plus years.

Anaheim trades Pronger to Philly. Result: Flyers make finals, Ducks struggle for years.

Wings never trade Lidstrom win 4 cups.

Franchise Defenseman don't grow on trees and trading one does not turn out too well for the trader.
Absolutely agree. It's why the only trades I would do are for one of the untradeable superstar forwards in the league (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovechkin) or a Lindros-type haul. Don't see either of those scenarios panning out.

Old
02-18-2014, 12:04 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I see your point but you are only using examples that work for what you are saying.

What about the 20 years Ray Bourque spent in a Boston uniform with only mild team success? He had to be traded to a team with more talent around him to get his cup.

Al McInnis and Chris Pronger never won a cup in St Louis, and actually had quite a bit of forward talent around them.

Rob Blake.

You can use Nick Lidstrom as an example I suppose, but he had tons of talent around him as well.
few things...Bourque isn't the same kind of dman as Weber. Bourque, hall of famer, but not a generational talent.

Blake was the same kind, but again, not a generational talent.

Not saying Weber is, but he very well could be.

as for those talented STL teams, no one was outspending Colorado and Detroit and beating them

Closed Thread