HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Medvescak Zagreb 2013/2014 season talk Part II

Old
02-18-2014, 01:43 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishonen91 View Post
Numbers aren't bigger than AVG on last 4 years of minor Austrian league EBEL - the venue can't accomodate more people than they can fit in. 22x 6500 (with att capped at 4500 officialy but what the hell) and 5x 15200 (once 13.000?) is roughly AVG here.
I was referring to the general following in Zagreb based on my personal experience/impression, not the attendance numbers, because as you've said they can't fit more people in the stands.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 04:52 AM
maxim84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbeaver View Post
True AVG attendance cannot changes much from EBEL times because of venue but in EBEL there were fewer games and fans could "rest". In KHL we have many more games with a tighter schedule. There are lot more people comeing from all over Croatia (especially Arena games) than in EBEL.
Last year in ebel we played 54 games....so if we get past the first round of PO you will have ten or so games more...wich means just 5 home games more....and next year there will be no olymipc tournament to get in the way of schedule (and who knows how will the schedule look like anyway...) but i think there is a lot of fans (born in 1978-1980) that heard only stories about "golden era of medvescak, or gortan as they were called and they are the majority of fans today... If/when they stop coming to the games (and i think it could happen in 3-4 years) it should be interesting to see if a "new wave" will replace them...are the younger fans today watching hockey because of horrible football situation or are they really interested in hockey...

And when we talk about arena i think medvescak needs to take advantage of this big venue to attract fans hungry for good quality hockey from neighbouring countries like slovenia austria and hungary...at least when we play against teams like SKA and DM...during ebel years in arena austrians loved to come because they have higher standard and ticket price and beer price was...for them...somewhere in the area of "oh i have some change rattle in my back pocket, let's spend it in zagreb" :-)

maxim84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:03 PM
croAVSfan*

Mathieu Carle is out for the rest of the season.Big blow for our d.

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:11 PM
croAVSfan*

Medvescak is ****ing dead club,what a bunch of heartless ******* with brainless coach.

Old
02-26-2014, 03:24 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neron View Post
Medvescak is ****ing dead club,what a bunch of heartless ******* with brainless coach.
Lovely

02-26-2014, 05:26 PM
roki977

Quote:
It is enough to get in playoffs in KHL.

roki977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:07 PM
bobbeaver

Sound its how croatians are, something is either the best or its the worst lol no middle ground for us, and ofc the thing changes from best to worst and viceversa in an instant lol oh and if its not the very best its the worst lol we are black and white and the rational middle ground is a rarity lol But its fun sometimes lmao The real perspective doesnt concern us much like that we reached the playoffs safely without hastle lmao

bobbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 04:17 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
I adore people who weren't aware hockey existed before 2009, they're always down to earth, rationale and their insatiable need to spread their knowledge and educate others is commendable.

Last edited by Ivan13: 02-27-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 05:53 AM
croAVSfan*

I am medvescak fan much longer, actually first ebel season was my 9th in following Medvescak.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Fragmuffin

Quote:
I am medvescak fan much longer, actually first ebel season was my 9th in following Medvescak.
And they will also never admit otherwise

Fragmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 03:03 AM
maxim84

The thing that worries me is another shorthanded goal...Medvescak is most likely going into Guinness book of world records for the number of such goals conceeded...and French says they need to rotate a few players around...funny...what were they doing during olympic break...

Old
02-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Domenica

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim84 View Post
The thing that worries me is another shorthanded goal...Medvescak is most likely going into Guinness book of world records for the number of such goals conceeded...and French says they need to rotate a few players around...funny...what were they doing during olympic break...
I just checked and you are right. The only team with a worse record is Dinamo Minsk (8). Medvescak and Spartak both have 7.

Domenica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 01:30 PM
bobbeaver

well atleast we beat CSKA maybe we wount 7th after all.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:43 PM
LovroZG

Quote:

LovroZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Toffu

Good game today.

I wonder why Medvescak dont play all their home games at big arena?

Toffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 03:18 AM
maxim84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffu View Post
Good game today.

I wonder why Medvescak dont play all their home games at big arena?
Arena zagreb was built for 2009 handball world championship as a multipurpose arena for basketball, handball, tennis, volleyball etc. and it wasn't intended for hockey...it needs major modifications for permanent ice...the other reason is that city of zagreb has rights to use arena for a limited number of days and they give it to clubs for free...if medvescak would want more time they would have to pay full price of renting the arena...so it is very expensive...anyway i think last week the city announced that this year Dom sportova will take a full facelifting inside and outside in preparation for 2016 world university games so there are slim chances to see arena as medvescak's new lair...

Old
03-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Toffu

I said that because i was at "Dom sportova" arena, and it reminds me on USSR in the 70's, really decrepit.

What's russian answer, they have not exercised any pressure to play permanently in the big arena?

Toffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 05:07 AM
Vicente

Quote:
Arena zagreb was built for 2009 handball world championship as a multipurpose arena for basketball, handball, tennis, volleyball etc. and it wasn't intended for hockey...it needs major modifications for permanent ice...
Why would you need permanent ice? In any multifunctional arena in Germany they can make a change between basketball / concerts / ice hockey etc within few hours.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 05:15 AM
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffu View Post
I said that because i was at "Dom sportova" arena, and it reminds me on USSR in the 70's, really decrepit.
recently Zagreb Mayor said that Dom Sportova will be overhauled. Medveščak did some touch up of the Dom Sportova (locker rooms and such) before this season.
the thing that is appealing in Dom Sportova is the atmosphere that fans create because it's small venue. that atmosphere gets a bit diluted in the Arena.

Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 05:21 AM
maxim84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
Why would you need permanent ice? In any multifunctional arena in Germany they can make a change between basketball / concerts / ice hockey etc within few hours.
Don't know...but everyone says it's like that...from the club, the city, management of arena....maybe the problem is keeping (cooling) ice when it is set up, airconditioning or something...anyway in germany they were probably thinking about it when constructing arena, in croatia they weren't. Medvescak has a 3 year contract with Khl so they will most likely let them be for that period...and if both sides wish to renew the contract arena will probably be a must...

Old
03-01-2014, 06:33 AM
LovroZG

Quote:
Don't know...but everyone says it's like that...from the club, the city, management of arena....maybe the problem is keeping (cooling) ice when it is set up, airconditioning or something...anyway in germany they were probably thinking about it when constructing arena, in croatia they weren't. Medvescak has a 3 year contract with Khl so they will most likely let them be for that period...and if both sides wish to renew the contract arena will probably be a must...
Arena Zagreb has no ice-making mechanism. Whenever we play there we must set it ourselves and that costs a lot.

LovroZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 07:15 AM
maxim84

Last year medvescak played 7 games on two occasions and they spent 460k euro for that, financially finished somewhere around zero... If you play the whole khl season wich means 4 games in 10 days plus 3-4 for setting up and disassembling ice surface...and you play 7 home "runs" it means arena is booked for 100 days (events +maintenance) In 2009 when arena was built it's manager said that it needs around 200 working days to be on financial zero. That means medvescak would take half of that time...and they would need to pay full price for renting the arena...this way if they play 5-10 games city gives them arena for free (city pays for everything except ice) and everyone talks about a great spectacle...how it increased the image of the city blablabla...
But honestly noone else can fill the arena, it is a stupid way of thinking, we won't give medvescak arena for free full time because MAYBE one or two concerts can be sold at that time...Handball and basketball clubs in zagreb are not interesting for fans because they lack funding and Dom sportova is more than enough for them...at the moment... But who knows what the future brings :-)

Old
03-01-2014, 01:51 PM
bishonen91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
You didn't understand correctly. It is not a "fixed into concrete floor ice". It's the ice that's build on city squares, etc. They just roll out pipes, set up the boards and make the ice.

In all multipurpose arenas ice facilities are built-in and they are covered, or dealt in a similar fashion, not in arena.

You can't put anything, remove the boards or you won't be able to put it all back together and re-freeze it (takes up to 7 days).

I worked at 4 events in Arena for hockey while I was working as PR of the club.

bishonen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishonen91 View Post
You didn't understand correctly. It is not a "fixed into concrete floor ice". It's the ice that's build on city squares, etc. They just roll out pipes, set up the boards and make the ice.

In all multipurpose arenas ice facilities are built-in and they are covered, or dealt in a similar fashion, not in arena.

You can't put anything, remove the boards or you won't be able to put it all back together and re-freeze it (takes up to 7 days).

I worked at 4 events in Arena for hockey while I was working as PR of the club.
Okay, thanks for explanation!

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 02:03 PM
bobbeaver

was gona say what bishon said. u cant change the surfices on a non permanent ice.
And as for Dom Sportova it will be overhauled, but the majority of money will go into building 2 new arenas inside it and refurbishing of the old ones, renovating the front of the whole complex and the water pool next to it and the square where its all at. Oh yeh forgot also about the underground garage.
The size of the Ice hockey arena stands wount change or the configuration. For long term stay in KHL it wount b enough. And Arena Zagreb needs bookings so it might be a win win.