HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Brent Aubin

Old
02-09-2007, 11:31 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

vCash: 500
Brent Aubin

I am curious to know about why he always went undrafted and his potential in the NHL for the Leafs. Should he be considered a top prospect?

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I don't think you could consider him a "top prospect"... but that said, he has definitely done one or two things to catch people's eyes. In addition to his exploits in the Q (which particularly this year one must view with caution, given that he's an overager), he was also a leader at this year's Leafs rookie tournament, providing a dynamic offensive impact straight away on a team that was probably on average at an ECHL level. His size will be a knock, but he seemed to be shifty enough and feisty enough that he at least has a few other attributes to set squarely against the size drawback and give fans reason to hope he'll rise above it.

I think the Leafs have a pretty good track record to draw on with players in his general category... some guys like Kyle Wellwood or Jeremy Williams established themselves over time as legitimate enough prospects, and Wellwood went on to great success. Others like, say, Chris St.Jacques or (at further removes) Brad Leeb or Matt Hubbauer never amounted to much for the organization. I don't think anybody was ready to call any of them, not even Wellwood, a "top prospect" when they first entered the organization as pros. However, give Aubin a year or two to make his pro mark, and then you'll know if he can be put on the prospect list like Williams, or if he will fade like St.Jacques. I have a hunch he'll come closer to the former than the latter, but then I'm sure there would have been some people who raised their hopes about St.Jacques in his day too (and any number of other similar players down through the ages). The general odds on these guys panning out are usually pretty low, I guess. But we like to get disproportionately excited about them all the same, of course, even recognizing that.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:35 PM
kostybros

AS a Rempart fan, I've seen him a lot and he 's a guy you want to cher for. He does not have the top end talent but consistency and hard work is the way to describe him. he's short(5'10,maybe a bit less) but he's not afraid to go in the corner and has a good shot.
he's been the leader of the team, even when Radu was there, aubin was the vocal leader.

Expectations from my opinion. he'll start in the ECHL to make a quick jump to the AHL in the first year. he'll spend a few years in the the AHL and have a shot to play NHL as a 3rd or 4th liner.
he's a good pick up for the leafs.

kostybros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:35 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

thanks a lot

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Form and Substance

Well we was a pretty big talent before playing juniors. Was drafted 2nd overall in the 2002 Q draft, so it's not like he couldn't amount to anything more than a 3rd-4th liner.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote