HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Slovakia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
02-15-2014, 10:46 AM
begbeee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaQ View Post
Satan, Nagy, Podhradsky, maybe Bliznak (we can't be picky when it comes to centers and I think he'd fit more in 2nd line than Kopecky), maybe Hudacek.
They are obviously no game breakers. This is not about nomination, this is about..something is just very very wrong behind the scene.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Krotak
is the Legend

I want Czechs for the Qualification playoffs... This is probably the only chance to reunite this team.

EDIT ... to reunite this group of people and make them the TEAM!

Last edited by Krotak: 02-15-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Krotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 06:12 AM
PapaQ

Laco in the net vs. Russia! Lets see if that can have any effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
They are obviously no game breakers. This is not about nomination, this is about..something is just very very wrong behind the scene.
Indeed something else is very wrong. But not nominating Satan could have something to do with it. Is it just me or Chara seems totally miserable. Like he's pissed off with everyone.

PapaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:10 AM
slovakiasnextone

for today's game to our players. If they play next game at a similar level, I don't really care about the result that much. That said I wouldn't mind revenge on the Czechs for Torino. But I fear the Czechs will wake up for that game finally as well.

slovakiasnextone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 1060
We kept it tight and finally had good goaltending. This is the way we have to play if we want to be succesful.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Well... it's over
http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/388/IHM4...3_44_0_SVK.pdf

I try to put together my feelings about Sochi 2014 hockey tourney:

1. I never want to see Jurčina in the NT again. Even some Extraliga defenders are much better.

2. Surový hasn't got a position of center in his DNA. He's career winger. I was so nervous about him. So many times he tried to attack a player along the boards and left his center position, which resulted in 3:2 or 2:1 situations against our defenders.

3. Our depth on center is just... BAD!!! It's even worse considering Handzuš will retire sooner or later. For the next Olympic cycle core of our centers looks like this:
Kopecký, Mikúš, Bližňák, Šťastný, Olvecký, Marcinko, Viedenský and especially RÉWAY. This boy has to be a part of this year's World Championship team!

4. Our youngsters looked good, especially Tatar and Jurčo. Thanks God.

Old
02-18-2014, 04:34 PM
menjek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotak View Post
Well... it's over
http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/388/IHM4...3_44_0_SVK.pdf

I try to put together my feelings about Sochi 2014 hockey tourney:

1. I never want to see Jurčina in the NT again. Even some Extraliga defenders are much better.

2. Surový hasn't got a position of center in his DNA. He's career winger. I was so nervous about him. So many times he tried to attack a player along the boards and left his center position, which resulted in 3:2 or 2:1 situations against our defenders.

3. Our depth on center is just... BAD!!! It's even worse considering Handzuš will retire sooner or later. For the next Olympic cycle core of our centers looks like this:
Kopecký, Mikúš, Bližňák, Šťastný, Olvecký, Marcinko, Viedenský and especially RÉWAY. This boy has to be a part of this year's World Championship team!

4. Our youngsters looked good, especially Tatar and Jurčo. Thanks God.
1. I'll throw in Marcel Hossa, i have hoped for last 8 years i will never see him again in NT and for some reason he is always there.

5. None will like me, but Vujtek needs to go. I liked our hockey in 90s when we lost 7:2, but outshot our opponent 50+:20+ (hell, we've beaten canada 11:0, no matter it was Z team). It was much more enjoyable, it was times we could beat anyone (apart from Czech ) with players like pucher and uram. His tactic: we are losers who can't play hockey, but will try to... is pissing me off.

menjek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 04:43 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
tatar was good; even better than i expected and i've seen every game that he's played with detroit. maybe it's the big ice, adrenaline or... he's just really good and on the way to really break out. i hope it's that, lol.

jurco was about what i expected. didn't look out of place. has work to do but has very good potential and very good tools.

sekera was BIG disappointment. very big. playing on right side might have contributed to that but still.

hossa was awesome.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by menjek View Post
1. I'll throw in Marcel Hossa, i have hoped for last 8 years i will never see him again in NT and for some reason he is always there.

5. None will like me, but Vujtek needs to go. I liked our hockey in 90s when we lost 7:2, but outshot our opponent 50+:20+ (hell, we've beaten canada 11:0, no matter it was Z team). It was much more enjoyable, it was times we could beat anyone (apart from Czech ) with players like pucher and uram. His tactic: we are losers who can't play hockey, but will try to... is pissing me off.
I'm not so sure. It's not just his tactic. Even our 2010 Olympic team played the same tactic under Filc coaching and it resulted in succes. He's great coach. Yeah. He made some major mistakes this time (Jurčina, a lot of power forwards over skilled players), but he'll learn from it. No doubt.

I really appreciate he has got courage to give a chance on young players and I hope he will continue to do it.

Old
02-18-2014, 04:54 PM
HoseEmDown

Any reason why the coach didn't play Panik in the 3rd? I know they wanted the top line out a lot but he was the best of the bottom 6 and you could see Hossa was gased late.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

I have point 6:

6. Bartovič is the least skilled sniper, I have ever seen in my life. Jesus Christ why Handzuš doesn't have his speed and acceleration...

Last edited by Krotak: 02-18-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old
02-18-2014, 05:03 PM
menjek

Quote:
I'm not so sure. It's not just his tactic. Even our 2010 Olympic team played the same tactic under Filc coaching and it resulted in succes. He's great coach. Yeah. He made some major mistakes this time (Jurčina, a lot of power forwards over skilled players), but he'll learn from it. No doubt.

I really appreciate he has got courage to give a chance on young players and I hope he will continue to do it.
He repeats it before almost all games we play. We haven't forchecked with more than one player for years now. when we are on offense our D is not on offensive blue line but in the middle zone and every attack begins from "scratch".

PS: I didn't like our hockey in Vancouver, it was passive and boring compared to 90s. we were just lucky.

PS1: There was no other way than giving chance to young guys. The old guys couldn't skate then. (... and Marincin was mistake this OG, horribad)

Old
02-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
He repeats it before almost all games we play. We haven't forchecked with more than one player for years now. when we are on offense our D is not on offensive blue line but in the middle zone and every attack begins from "scratch".

PS: I didn't like our hockey in Vancouver, it was passive and boring compared to 90s. we were just lucky.

PS1: There was no other way than giving chance to young guys. The old guys couldn't skate then. (... and Marincin was mistake this OG, horribad)
I don't agree. Except of the first game against USA, in which he was paired with Jurčina he was good. Not great but not bad.
http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/388/IHM400A02_74_3_0.pdf

That game ruined his +/- statistic. I think he will be very good defender for years to come.

Old
02-18-2014, 05:16 PM
menjek

Quote:
I don't agree. Except of the first game against USA, in which he was paired with Jurčina he was good. Not great but not bad.
http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/388/IHM400A02_74_3_0.pdf

That game ruined his +/- statistic. I think he will be very good defender for years to come.
Well, first two goals in game against CZE were on him. Penalty not so much, but the second goal was facepalm for me. Absolutely messy in D zone, sure he will learn, but currently any of top 10 dmen from extraliga is better.

Old
02-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Any reason why the coach didn't play Panik in the 3rd? I know they wanted the top line out a lot but he was the best of the bottom 6 and you could see Hossa was gased late.
There's no doubt he was the best bottom 6 forward, but top 6 wingers (Hossa Marián, Tatar, Jurčo, Záborský) were about the same level, or better.

Old
02-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Eagle Eye Cherry
guitar player

Slovakia is not the same without Demitra. He's the offensive catalyst for Slovakia.

Eagle Eye Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Well, first two goals in game against CZE were on him. Penalty not so much, but the second goal was facepalm for me. Absolutely messy in D zone, sure he will learn, but currently any of top 10 dmen from extraliga is better.
Only the first one. The second one was huge mistake of Surový, if I remember it correctly. Classical example of what I wrote in point 2.

Old
02-18-2014, 05:33 PM
menjek

Quote:
Only the first one. The second one was huge mistake of Surový, if I remember it correctly. Classical example of what I wrote in point 2.
On the second one, Marincin did 2 junior mistakes in few seconds, even czech commentators pointed it out, but whatever, probably matter of opinion. From my POV, he was baaaad in whole OG, so was Sekera.

I just hope, i'll ever see offense from us... going to sleep o/

Old
02-18-2014, 05:58 PM
menjek

btw. in quartefinals there will be 6 goalies from NHL and 2 from slovak extraliga

Old
02-18-2014, 08:24 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
There's no doubt he was the best bottom 6 forward, but top 6 wingers (Hossa Marián, Tatar, Jurčo, Záborský) were about the same level, or better.
Just felt the coach should've changed the lines up a bit as nothing was working the whole tournament till the 3rd when the Czechs let up. Panik got stuck with awful wingers who couldn't make a pass and caused them to be stuck in their own zone the whole time.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 03:32 AM
alko

Quote:
Reway is a center? I don't think so. He played Wing on last WJC, no?

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 06:31 AM
slovakiasnextone

I hope this tournament means the end for several players, noone is going to convince me that even Extraliga players couldn't play what the likes of Marcel Hossa play on the international level.

To anyone who says that Vujtek should go, with whom would you replace him? Also if you believe we should play a more offensive game with the players we have, down with the pink coloured glasses please. We would get totally annihilated in a lot of games just like we were here against the US.

Switzerland who has started playing a more offesnive game under Simpson has managed to win a silver at the WC and their hockey is fun to watch but they have missed out QF in the 3rd out of 4 tournaments in the last 4 years. And the players they work with are arguably on average somewhat better than ours.

Old
02-19-2014, 07:31 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Switzerland who has started playing a more offesnive game under Simpson has managed to win a silver at the WC and their hockey is fun to watch but they have missed out QF in the 3rd out of 4 tournaments in the last 4 years. And the players they work with are arguably on average somewhat better than ours.
I'd like to disagree on both of these statements. From two games I saw with their participation they might sport a minus sign on their chest. Still a pretty negative trapping team even when they face teams of Latvia level. But I agree, it was even worse before, say, more than 5 years ago.

Seeing how amazing is your much hated Marcel in KHL, how much better he is than say our "offensive dynamo" Daugavins offensively, who more than holds his own against NLA Swiss superstars - I think the right coach (I won't help you with pointing such specimen out) could easily turn you your side in a scarier version of Switzerland.

02-19-2014, 09:02 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
I'd like to disagree on both of these statements. From two games I saw with their participation they might sport a minus sign on their chest. Still a pretty negative trapping team even when they face teams of Latvia level. But I agree, it was even worse before, say, more than 5 years ago.

Seeing how amazing is your much hated Marcel in KHL, how much better he is than say our "offensive dynamo" Daugavins offensively, who more than holds his own against NLA Swiss superstars - I think the right coach (I won't help you with pointing such specimen out) could easily turn you your side in a scarier version of Switzerland.
The point about the level of Slovak/Swiss players is somewhat arguable, however the Swiss have more depth and players who are able to play on a more consistent level than Slovakia. Slovakia is just capable of extreme lows that I'm not sure Switzerland could ever reach.

As for what you say about them still playing deffensively is true and you captured what I meant.

As for Marcel, he has played on the national team under 5 different coaches over the past few years (Hossa,Šupler, Filc, Hanlon and Vujtek) and he has played only one or at best two really good tournaments. He's best one was probably in 2008 when for once Slovakia was relying on him offensively. What he has played in recent years for the NT almost any of our young players who got left of the rosters would be able to play. Maybe he should have gotten Latvian citizenship a few years back because it seems like Dinamo Riga is the only place were he is capable of being a leader seemingly. I don't think anyone in Slovakia would mind too much. Anyway he and his generation of our European players aren't the youngest anymore and most of them have proven little to nothing for Team Slovakia (with exception of one or the other tourney) and there's little to no love for them from the fans, surely they must be bored/tired by it.

It's just finally time for a generation change, this tourney has kinda done it a bit for the NA players, but we need to build a team with a good core of young/middle-aged players from Europe, especially since we are looking at the possibility of having to play the Olympics qualification for South Korea 2018. I just don't see any place for players like Marcel on that team. They will need some veterans for sure but those veteran players need to be leaders both on and off the ice.