HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Out of Town Scoreboard II

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2014, 05:23 PM
henchman24
If and if...

vCash: 500
It is all about puck possession and that it directly correlates with keeping the puck towards the outside of the ice instead of the middle. Which that is true to an extent, and it does improve possession numbers in theory... but like anything hockey/sports/life, people go way too crazy with one idea. Playing the best players the most minutes, and playing to their strengths is the most important thing. A system built around that is more likely to succeed than a system that if forced upon players that don't fit. Oates is obsessed with puck possession and tailors everything towards that. He will play less talented players to give him a theoretical advantage.

Old
02-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
i think its both. personnel and coaching. many players have regressed. some very questionable decisions. notable decline on ES play. imo the roster is better than the oates has gotten out of them on ES. magic on PP, though.
Laich and Green are increasingly brittle and on the decline. Alzner and Carlson have never developed into stars. They let Semin walk for nothing. They still don't have a reliable answer for 2nd line center. Their goaltending situation is a mess. The Erat trade has been an outright disaster. The rest of the team (Fehr, Chimera, Ward) are a bunch of grinders, some overpaid. This team has no depth to speak of and horribly shaky goaltending. It's basically Ovechkin, Backstrom, and occasionally Green...who happen to be at their best on the power play.

Please tell me again why you think this team should be a force at even strength.

Apart from grabbing Grabovski off the discard pile for cheap and hiring Oates, GMGM has done virtually nothing right the last few seasons. He should've been scuttled a while ago.

Old
02-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
La Joya!

vCash: 400
The biggest problem in DC is GMGM. He turned a high flying offense into a bunch of grinders mixed in with Ovy/Backstrom. He let Semin walk for nothing without replacing him did the same with Ribs. Traded for guys like Erat, over paid guys like Ward. Not to mention getting nothing for their franchise goalie. He ran the team in the ground, after assembling a team that should've won the cup by now and be compared to the likes of the Hawks.

Old
02-18-2014, 05:37 PM
henchman24
If and if...

To be fair to GMGM, during the winter/spring of 2012 (before the deadline) they expected Kuznetsov to come over to the NHL. Once they really learned his intentions, it was too late to get anything for Semin, and they didn't want to pay him the money he was demanding.

That said, he is a terrible GM.

Old
02-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
It is all about puck possession and that it directly correlates with keeping the puck towards the outside of the ice instead of the middle. Which that is true to an extent, and it does improve possession numbers in theory... but like anything hockey/sports/life, people go way too crazy with one idea. Playing the best players the most minutes, and playing to their strengths is the most important thing. A system built around that is more likely to succeed than a system that if forced upon players that don't fit. Oates is obsessed with puck possession and tailors everything towards that. He will play less talented players to give him a theoretical advantage.
He doesn't play his best players the most minutes?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

Am I missing something here...?

Old
02-18-2014, 05:46 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Laich and Green are increasingly brittle and on the decline.
agreed.

Quote:
Alzner and Carlson have never developed into stars.
nope, but alzner has regressed under him. carlson has been up and down. maybe better overall but that is expected.

Quote:
They still don't have a reliable answer for 2nd line center.
grabo did good job there when he was healthy. though it was kind of third line as he had ward and chimera on his wings.

Quote:
Their goaltending situation is a mess. The Erat trade has been an outright disaster. The rest of the team (Fehr, Chimera, Ward) are a bunch of grinders, some overpaid. This team has no depth to speak of and horribly shaky goaltending. It's basically Ovechkin, Backstrom, and occasionally Green...who happen to be at their best on the power play.
i agree with those.

Quote:
Please tell me again why you think this team should be a force at even strength.
never said it should be force. just not this bad.

Quote:
Apart from grabbing Grabovski off the discard pile for cheap and hiring Oates, GMGM has done virtually nothing right the last few seasons. He should've been scuttled a while ago.
yup. i do think he's the biggest problem there.

Old
02-18-2014, 05:50 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
He doesn't play his best players the most minutes?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

Am I missing something here...?
Orlov only 33 games because he shoots left (Strachen was played over Orlov for a bit until he proved he was terrible), Erat getting only ~14 mintues (he isn't nearly that bad, there is feud there), Brouwer over a full minute more than MoJo, Laich getting more time than Grabo, Wilson only getting 7 minutes a game and playing him in a goon role, Orlov only having 10 minutes of PP time all season... do I need to go on?

Old
02-18-2014, 05:54 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Orlov only 33 games because he shoots left, Erat getting only ~14 mintues (he isn't nearly that bad, there is feud there), Brouwer over a full minute more than MoJo, Laich getting more time than Grabo, Wilson only getting 7 minutes a game and playing him in a goon role, Orlov only having 10 minutes of PP time all season... do I need to go on?
problem with orlov is that he's RD who is LH.

erat was RW in nashville a ton, iirc, it's his natural position and hasn't played there at all under oates.

laich has gotten more ice time than grabo bc of pk time. same with brouwer over MaJo.

Old
02-18-2014, 06:00 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
problem with orlov is that he's RD who is LH.

erat was RW in nashville a ton, iirc, it's his natural position and hasn't played there at all under oates.

laich has gotten more ice time than grabo bc of pk time. same with brouwer over MaJo.
Bold is my point. Oates won't let them play their natural position because he thinks it will hurt puck possession.

This is true. Still Brower gets more PP time than MoJo (not by a huge amount) and Grabo. Laich gets almost as much PP time as Grabo.

Old
02-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I can see why some coaches are very strict when it comes to handedness for defensemen but I don't get it for forwards. Oates is too obsessed with it.

Old
02-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Orlov only 33 games because he shoots left (Strachen was played over Orlov for a bit until he proved he was terrible), Erat getting only ~14 mintues (he isn't nearly that bad, there is feud there), Brouwer over a full minute more than MoJo, Laich getting more time than Grabo, Wilson only getting 7 minutes a game and playing him in a goon role, Orlov only having 10 minutes of PP time all season... do I need to go on?
Okay, let's not get nitpicky here. A full minute total TOI between Brouwer and Johansson? It's not like he's worlds better than Brouwer, and actually Brouwer faces stiffer competition.

As for Laich/Grabo, who knows...Grabo just seems to be one of those players coaches have a hard time trusting. Not sure why, I suppose he's rather unconventional in certain respects.

Orlov is only 22, and Wilson is only 19. I wouldn't say Oates uses him like a "goon" though just because he's been Shanabanned. He's a big, physical forward. He's being brought along slowly (though this seems a bit early to bring him to the NHL at all). He' been given a depth role and as such, he's there to dish out hits and provide energy, much like McLeod does for COL. Orlov is the same age as Barrie, and while he's talented, he's still very raw. Also being brought along slowly. I can't imagine bringing both of them up on the depth chart would do much to turn WSH's fortunes.

I won't sit here and say all of Oates's moves have been good ones. But I don't think he's hyper-focused on puck possession either. I still think this is largely the result of GMGM making a lot of bad moves and ultimately not drafting/developing talent post-Ovechkin. Ultimately I think he should be removed. He's had countless lives in Washington and the time has finally come.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:09 AM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Bold is my point. Oates won't let them play their natural position because he thinks it will hurt puck possession.

This is true. Still Brower gets more PP time than MoJo (not by a huge amount) and Grabo. Laich gets almost as much PP time as Grabo.
I'm actually OK with this, I think Brouwer is a better finisher than MoJo.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:49 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I can see why some coaches are very strict when it comes to handedness for defensemen but I don't get it for forwards. Oates is too obsessed with it.
It's like he has OCD.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:52 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Orlov is a left shot defenseman that prefers to play on the right, if I'm not mistaken.

No wonder he had a hard time making the team.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:16 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Orlov is a left shot defenseman that prefers to play on the right, if I'm not mistaken.

No wonder he had a hard time making the team.
That's right.

Old
02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Seattle getting a NHL team?

Quote:
Local sources have said the league has held discussions with potential ownership groups here about what the fee would be to land an expansion franchise to begin play in the 2015-16 season. Reports last summer had pegged it at $275 million, but sources now say they expect the price to be somewhere in the $200 million-to-$250 million range.

Any league expansion would likely involve a second team in order to balance the schedule. Potential expansion sites besides Seattle include Quebec City, Kansas City, Portland, the Toronto suburb of Markham, and even Saskatoon, and Las Vegas.
Quote:
Sources have indicated that talks between the NHL and local officials were far enough along that some type of announcement could be made within weeks of the Sochi Olympics concluding. Daly told reporters in Sochi this week that no expansion announcement was imminent.

But it’s unlikely the league would delay an announcement beyond June if it intends to have new teams in 2015-16. Expansion teams typically need a couple of summers to do proper marketing and prepare temporary arena facilities ahead of beginning play.
http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/...ttle20xml.html

Does the NHL have a rule against expansion teams picking 1st overall in their first year or did I just make that up? If not, 2015-16 would be a great year to enter the league, imagine winning the lottery and starting your franchise with McDavid. It would be great for those teams/cities and the conspiracy theorists would run wild with it.

Old
02-20-2014, 12:18 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Does the NHL have a rule against expansion teams picking 1st overall in their first year or did I just make that up? If not, 2015-16 would be a great year to enter the league, imagine winning the lottery and starting your franchise with McDavid. It would be great for those teams/cities and the conspiracy theorists would run wild with it.
I think so. The previous expansion teams could not pick higher than 2nd overall.

Old
02-20-2014, 12:32 AM
BrickAHL
EC3 GOAT

Where are they going to play? Key Arena?

Old
02-20-2014, 12:35 AM
hockeyfish

Blah, I am not looking forward to expansion.

Old
02-20-2014, 01:46 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

At least a team in Seattle should ensure Avs get to stay in Central. Tough opposition but fewer games that start very late.

Old
02-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Bubba Thudd
formerly Thubuda Bud

vCash: 6331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
At least a team in Seattle should ensure Avs get to stay in Central. Tough opposition but fewer games that start very late.
That was my initial thought, too.

02-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
BREAKING NEWS: John Tavares (knee) will miss rest of NHL season, source says. More to come. #Isles

MRI reveals torn MCL and torn meniscus for Tavares. May need surgery. Will be ready for training camp in September. #Isles

What a ****** year for Isles. The Vanek trade blowing up in their face, Tavares injured and looking at a lottery pick the year after making the playoffs.

Old
02-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Imagine what's going through Snow's head right now, it's easily possible they finish in the bottom 5 next season as well, Buffalo could get McDavid from that Vanek trade.

Old
02-20-2014, 10:07 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 140
That's too bad, at least they said he'd be ok by September. I still don't understand why they traded for a rental. I know at that time they wanted to get back in the playoff hunt but still a rental was a terrible idea.

Old
02-20-2014, 10:27 AM
henchman24
If and if...

I'd be thrilled with a Seattle franchise. It would immediately become my 2nd favorite team with my NW roots.

Closed Thread