HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PowerPlayManager #11 - LIVE Hockey Draft this Saturday!

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2014, 12:02 PM
tujague

vCash: 500
I skipped this last season, but the surprising OTS post had me kind of excited to see how I stacked up despite not spending more than 165M on any starters. I think I'll lose ground again when they start phasing in the young studs they've bought.

Code:
Pos   Bombsville       	        Rat	|	Pos  Boilermakers       	        Rat	|	Pos   Coronas       	        Rat
G1	Kenneth Shipp	        42	|	G2	Kirk Spicer    		46	|	G3	Lenkauskas		        47
LD1	Valis Grincas	        43	|	LD2	Tobias Hrebec             46     |      LD3   Zebec                        43	
CD1	Joel Sauvage		50	|	CD2	Gwendel Piras		55	|	CD3	Name Nikoloski		55
CD1	Henry Grigorovich		47	|	CD2	Chard McIntyre		51	|	CD3  some Vaicevicius            44
RD1	Leroy Blount		45	|	RD2	Kyrylo Agapiv		44	|	RD3  Name Adamu               51
LM1	Martin Svorad		46	|	LM2	Maks Keber	        	42	|	LM3	Zak Aldridge		64
CM1	Danny Crabbe		44	|	CM2	Konstantin Vrseký     	50	|      CM3  Thomas Ashcraft          54
CM1	Leonard Stamper		##	|	CM2	Victor Taganovich	52	|      CM3  Name Scotto                51
RM1	Juraj Krajco	        	47	|	RM2	Max Mark		       48	|	RM3	Name Steins		55
CF1	Anne Dekker		75	|	CF2	Hudson Young		78	|	CF3	Pavel Palous		79
CF1	Raymond McCready	68	|	CF2	Sandy Beast		70	|	CF3	Rname Blechta		78
Goalie (-4 vs Boilermaker, -5 vs Corona): A bit behind. I was hoping Shipp would be closer to Spicer. Bad ratio maybe? Although I thought I was on the Spicer ratio...

LD (-3, E): Not too bad. I still need an upgrade at SD though. They both have better youngsters in the wings.
CD1 (-5, -5) (-4, +3): My two CDs aren't great, but they'll hold the fort until Strickland/Carpenter are ready. Not that those guys are world beaters, but they will be an upgrade and good enough until I have the other positions sorted out.
RD (+1, -6): Blount is a solid guy to have. I think he'd make a great universal 3rd guy in a rotation. And yet he somehow starts on the NT somehow.

LM (+4, -18): Fuk Zak Aldridge. Oh my god. I thought I was happy with my current and future SMs, but this area needs an upgrade after this comparison.
CM (-6, -10) (-#, -#): So does this area. Still. Stamper hasn't played yet.
RM (-1, -8): Not awful, but the depression that is the rest of the mids makes this seem worse than it might otherwise be.

CF (-3, -4) (-2, -10): McCready has no chem right now. This will get better. But not really. My guys are old. And the future is just more of the same. Good enough against most teams, but I need a stud to compete with the top guys on even terms. I don't even think I can afford a real upgrade, so I'll have to start shopping for a prospect. I'm not sure if I could afford that either.

EDIT: I wanted to add the Betamax and Fakeballers, I have the numbers, but I ran out of steam and time.

Last edited by tujague: 02-17-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old
02-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

i should be a day or two away from being able to use the market.. The new debate I read is arena vs. facilites. What say you fine folks?

Old
02-17-2014, 01:01 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
i should be a day or two away from being able to use the market.. The new debate I read is arena vs. facilites. What say you fine folks?
If you are selling out, bump up your rink a bit. If not, leave it.

Make sure you win as much as possible. That's the main thing. OTR! OTR!

Old
02-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

I upgraded A&B to large standup's I believe and they should be done in the next couple days. . I can't remember what my facilites are at.

Old
02-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
Today, I went H/H to his L/L. I don't know why he doesn't bump that up to N/N at least. Especially on the road. He has to know by now that I'm going for it at home every time. Right?

I also play the Coronas, Betamax and Fakeballers at home in the first half. Holy cow. I'm going to have a rough second half. Hopefully I can get my points the first time through.
My thought process is that the marginal expected increase in points due to playing N/N this early in the season does not make up for the marginal expected decrease in points over the next 39 matches and the marginal expected decrease in performance in the NC and ChL matches (17 additional competitive matches last season).

Quote:
EDIT: Aw, come on! I scored 5 straight goals in handball to tie the game at 31 with 1:13 seconds left. Then gave up the winning goal with 47 seconds left and nothing else happened.
I seem to have found my stride again in handball and it just so happens that my players have plenty of energy left.

Quote:
Goalie (-4 vs Boilermaker, -5 vs Corona): A bit behind. I was hoping Shipp would be closer to Spicer. Bad ratio maybe? Although I thought I was on the Spicer ratio...
Shipp is not on the Spicer ratio. He's also 92 OR points back in the attributes that matter and 21 experience behind. That said, Shipp's ratio may be better than Spicer's (for IGRs) if he's only 4 behind.

Quote:
LD (-3, E): Not too bad. I still need an upgrade at SD though. They both have better youngsters in the wings.
CD1 (-5, -5) (-4, +3): My two CDs aren't great, but they'll hold the fort until Strickland/Carpenter are ready. Not that those guys are world beaters, but they will be an upgrade and good enough until I have the other positions sorted out.
RD (+1, -6): Blount is a solid guy to have. I think he'd make a great universal 3rd guy in a rotation. And yet he somehow starts on the NT somehow.

LM (+4, -18): Fuk Zak Aldridge. Oh my god. I thought I was happy with my current and future SMs, but this area needs an upgrade after this comparison.
CM (-6, -10) (-#, -#): So does this area. Still. Stamper hasn't played yet.
RM (-1, -8): Not awful, but the depression that is the rest of the mids makes this seem worse than it might otherwise be.

CF (-3, -4) (-2, -10): McCready has no chem right now. This will get better. But not really. My guys are old. And the future is just more of the same. Good enough against most teams, but I need a stud to compete with the top guys on even terms. I don't even think I can afford a real upgrade, so I'll have to start shopping for a prospect. I'm not sure if I could afford that either.

EDIT: I wanted to add the Betamax and Fakeballers, I have the numbers, but I ran out of steam and time.
I'd like to see those guys added as well. As an FYI, I've been focusing on adding some depth rather than starters the last couple of season.

Old
02-17-2014, 05:35 PM
tescosamoa

Quote:
I upgraded A&B to large standup's I believe and they should be done in the next couple days. . I can't remember what my facilites are at.
Large stands all around and work on the HR to 10

Then upgrade players (10k for the best you can get ) and save up for the first triple.

Old
02-17-2014, 07:57 PM
tujague

Code:
Pos  Boilermakers       	        Rat	|	Pos   Boronas       	        Rat
G2	Kirk Spicer    		46	|	G3	Lenkauskas		        47
LD2	Tobias Hrebec             46     |      LD3   Zebec                        43	
CD2	Gwendel Piras		55	|	CD3	Name Nikoloski		55
CD2	Chard McIntyre		51	|	CD3  some Vaicevicius            44
RD2	Kyrylo Agapiv		44	|	RD3  Name Adamu               51
LM2	Maks Keber	        	42	|	LM3	Zak Aldridge		64
CM2	Konstantin Vrseký     	50	|      CM3  Thomas Ashcraft          54
CM2	Victor Taganovich	52	|      CM3  Name Scotto                51
RM2	Max Mark		       48	|	RM3	Name Steins		55
CF2	Hudson Young		78	|	CF3	Pavel Palous		79
CF2	Sandy Beast		70	|	CF3	Radovan Blechta		78
The Big Dogs. Much tighter than I expected. I'm assuming Jalon gets a better IGR than Sandy Beast by now? Other than that, the only difference is the two SMs. And maybe the RD. Freaking Zak Aldridge is skewing everything. +17 on the next best LSD? Retire already.

Obryantj's transition to the new blood will be huge. He has to hit it right to stay in contention with the market abuser.

Code:
Pos  Betamax       	        Rat	|	Pos   BakeFallers       	        Rat
G2	Leo Pajari    		39	|	G3	Mubariz Mupsidedowne 35
LD2	Leon Romo                  43     |      LD3   Dave Eaton                  39	
CD2	Phillip Woody		55	|	CD3	Arpad Igrenyi		44
RD2	Kyrylo Agapiv		44	|	CD3  Miroslav Nestrak             52
LM2	Georghe Sisu        	47	|	RD3  Clark Schilling               39
CM2	Jiri Janacek		       47	|	LM3	Harold Buckley		35
CM2	Dragutin Boros     	49	|      CM3   Norman Chester          39
CM2	Andrej Darvill              	49	|      CM3  Mohd Atiq bin Sulong      49
RM2	Redouan Lucas		 47	|	RM3	Danijel Bobetko		40
CF2	Lenny Cosby		63	|	CF3	Christian Davidson       55
CF2	Ricky Schoenecht		71	|	CF3	Zdenek Pasecky		53
It's amazing how little is separating the Betamax/Bombsville from the top two. It's really only a few players. Unfortunately, for the Betamax, his two weakest positions are goalie and forward.

The Fakeballers are in trouble. And zomg is obviously a much better in game manager than I am.

Code:
Pos   Canucks' OAP       	   Rat	|	Pos   Bombsville      	       Rat
G1	Rod MacNeil	        	39	|	G2	Kenneth Shipp    		42
LD1	Allan McDermott		44	|	LD2	Valis Grincas		43
CD1	Tyson Borden		50	|	CD2	Joel Sauvage		50
CD1	Thom Knight		44	|	CD2	Henry Grigorovich		47
RD1	Darren Barber		41	|	RD2	Leroy Blount		45
LM1	Vicente Dawdy		46	|	LM2	Martin Svorad		46
CM1	Léon Lineham		44	|	CM2	Danny Crabbe             44
CM1	Dwight Gartlan		40	|	CM2	Leonard Stamper		##
RM1	Liks Sedej	        	45	|	RM2	Juraj Krajco		       47
CF1	Vincent Sharrard		79	|	CF2	Anne Dekker		75
CF1	Michal Himper		73	|	CF2	Raymond McCready	68
I threw canucks in there, too. Where do you rank in Canada, C? Our teams are crazy close.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:11 PM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
My thought process is that the marginal expected increase in points due to playing N/N this early in the season does not make up for the marginal expected decrease in points over the next 39 matches and the marginal expected decrease in performance in the NC and ChL matches (17 additional competitive matches last season).
I think I need to take points from you whenever possible. I guess I'm not important enough for you to worry about that yet

If I win the game's I'm supposed to win, then those 3 points will get me into position to challenge the Betamax. Or stave off the Fakeballers.

Quote:
I seem to have found my stride again in handball and it just so happens that my players have plenty of energy left.
Yeah. I screwed that up again. I just didn't care about it early enough. I should have switched to Low in the beginning. Now that I have made the switch, I just have to avoid any more injuries to my key players.

Quote:
Shipp is not on the Spicer ratio. He's also 92 OR points back in the attributes that matter and 21 experience behind. That said, Shipp's ratio may be better than Spicer's (for IGRs) if he's only 4 behind.
I think he is. I'm pretty sure I took Spicer's attributes during one of his hot streaks and plugged that in to Shipp's auto-practice. I guess it's possible I switched to another goalie though. I do sometimes find super star or NT players that I really like and I'll emulate them.

For a bit. I like to mix it up. No rhyme or reason why, of course. That would make too much sense.

Quote:
I'd like to see those guys added as well. As an FYI, I've been focusing on adding some depth rather than starters the last couple of season.
Done.

And I know who you're buying. I wanted to get most of them myself You're team is going to explode in a season or two.

Old
02-17-2014, 10:23 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Code:
Pos   Canucks' OAP       	   Rat	|	Pos   Bombsville      	       Rat
G1	Rod MacNeil	        	39	|	G2	Kenneth Shipp    		42
LD1	Allan McDermott		44	|	LD2	Valis Grincas		43
CD1	Tyson Borden		50	|	CD2	Joel Sauvage		50
CD1	Thom Knight		44	|	CD2	Henry Grigorovich		47
RD1	Darren Barber		41	|	RD2	Leroy Blount		45
LM1	Vicente Dawdy		46	|	LM2	Martin Svorad		46
CM1	Léon Lineham		44	|	CM2	Danny Crabbe             44
CM1	Dwight Gartlan		40	|	CM2	Leonard Stamper		##
RM1	Liks Sedej	        	45	|	RM2	Juraj Krajco		       47
CF1	Vincent Sharrard		79	|	CF2	Anne Dekker		75
CF1	Michal Himper		73	|	CF2	Raymond McCready	68
I threw canucks in there, too. Where do you rank in Canada, C? Our teams are crazy close.
I'm about #3 or #4. I don't have the depth some of the other guys do but I think I have some better youth than them. I suppose we'll find out in a few seasons when they mature.

Old
02-18-2014, 12:29 AM
fakezomg

Quote:
The Fakeballers are in trouble. And zomg is obviously a much better in game manager than I am.
Not getting good youth pulls from my SA makes it hard to keep up. I've had high level facilities for quite a while now, and it just hasn't paid off compared to the rest of you guys. Just as a rough comparison of current rosters - Boilermakers have 6 National Team players, 4 U20, and 4 U17 that have come from his own SA, FC Corona has 2 NT and 3 U17 quality players on the team, but he's also sold a bunch of pulls that were good enough to make the roster of the youth teams. Arlington Betamax has 5 NT, 5 U20, and 1 U17 players, Bombsville Atomics have 4 NT, 2 U20, 2 U17, and I've got 0 NT, 1 U20 player, and 1 U17 player came from my academy that I sold because he's not that good, but I guess the team is desperate for defense.

So, that's a pretty big disparity in the quality of youth pulls over the last 5+ seasons, which means I'll steadily be falling behind, except for the occasional multi-hundred million dollar purchase, until my squad of purchased 18-year-olds gets in their mid 20s, and are ready to start.

Heh, maybe an undocumented feature of PRO Pack is that you get better youth pulls?! Considering my hockey team has only one U18 player, and my handball team has no national team players, I wouldn't be surprised...

In other news, I picked up a 56 year old, 87/87 physiotherapist for only 20k. I see 57 year old, 200 OR coaches only go for around 2.5 million, so I guess my plan to not train up replacements, but instead just buy them when I need them, is financially sound.

Old
02-18-2014, 08:44 AM
tescosamoa

need to figure out how to embed google doc

Last edited by tescosamoa: 02-18-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: could not embed google doc so deleted
Old
02-18-2014, 08:53 AM
tescosamoa

. mmmm

Last edited by tescosamoa: 02-18-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: .
Old
02-18-2014, 10:30 AM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
I'm about #3 or #4. I don't have the depth some of the other guys do but I think I have some better youth than them. I suppose we'll find out in a few seasons when they mature.
That's where we differ. I definitely do not have better youth than the Boileronas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakezomg View Post
Not getting good youth pulls from my SA makes it hard to keep up. I've had high level facilities for quite a while now, and it just hasn't paid off compared to the rest of you guys. Just as a rough comparison of current rosters - Boilermakers have 6 National Team players, 4 U20, and 4 U17 that have come from his own SA, FC Corona has 2 NT and 3 U17 quality players on the team, but he's also sold a bunch of pulls that were good enough to make the roster of the youth teams. Arlington Betamax has 5 NT, 5 U20, and 1 U17 players, Bombsville Atomics have 4 NT, 2 U20, 2 U17, and I've got 0 NT, 1 U20 player, and 1 U17 player came from my academy that I sold because he's not that good, but I guess the team is desperate for defense.

So, that's a pretty big disparity in the quality of youth pulls over the last 5+ seasons, which means I'll steadily be falling behind, except for the occasional multi-hundred million dollar purchase, until my squad of purchased 18-year-olds gets in their mid 20s, and are ready to start.
What are your average pulls like? I don't get the super stars (although they look a lot better now that I have SA15), but my soccer SA regularly puts out 3.5 star players. Sometimes those guys are useful, sometimes they are fatally flawed. But it's a fairly consistent stream of 3.5 star players. I kind of expect one every week now. I don't always get one, but I always expect it.

Hockey is completely different. I went 7-8 seasons with only one good pull. And I haven't had anyone with starter potential, youth pull or otherwise, reach 18 & 6/6.

Old
02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
tujague

Anyone who is considering joining, now is a great time to start a hockey team. The regular season ends tomorrow. We'll get bonuses paid out for standings. Next is the playoffs, and we get another bonus after that. And finally there's a short off-season that you can use to help you learn your way around the site without getting crippled in league play.

So you're basically getting free money with which to start your team off right. Do it.

If you do join, click through the images on the first post. That way we know how many people join through HFB. And if you stick around, let me know and I'll pass your credits back to you.

Old
02-18-2014, 12:04 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Anyone who is considering joining, now is a great time to start a hockey team. The regular season ends tomorrow. We'll get bonuses paid out for standings. Next is the playoffs, and we get another bonus after that. And finally there's a short off-season that you can use to help you learn your way around the site without getting crippled in league play.

So you're basically getting free money with which to start your team off right. Do it.

If you do join, click through the images on the first post. That way we know how many people join through HFB. And if you stick around, let me know and I'll pass your credits back to you.
Good point! Thanks again for maintaining all this for us tj, it is greatly appreciated.

Old
02-18-2014, 05:44 PM
fakezomg

Quote:
What are your average pulls like? I don't get the super stars (although they look a lot better now that I have SA15), but my soccer SA regularly puts out 3.5 star players. Sometimes those guys are useful, sometimes they are fatally flawed. But it's a fairly consistent stream of 3.5 star players. I kind of expect one every week now. I don't always get one, but I always expect it.
I don't keep track, so I couldn't tell you what the real average is, but it feels like I get one 3.5 star player per month. The problem is, 3.5 star players aren't good enough to keep on the roster given the extra player fees, and no one even wants to buy them off me for a million (I don't see a point in selling them for 10k and adding to my # of transfers). So, unless they have really high OR, I'm not even going to bother pulling anyone less than 4 stars from now on.

Once my 18-year-olds get in their 20s, things will be swell, but for now I'll just try to hold on as best I can. In case you didn't notice, that CF free agent went for 800 million, so it looks like another season of sitting on my money till I can afford a quality upgrade.

Old
02-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Handball Question: Who defends against an attacking Left Wing - my defensive Left Wing or my defensive Right Wing?

Old
02-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Cory
Hockeytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakezomg View Post
I don't keep track, so I couldn't tell you what the real average is, but it feels like I get one 3.5 star player per month. The problem is, 3.5 star players aren't good enough to keep on the roster given the extra player fees, and no one even wants to buy them off me for a million (I don't see a point in selling them for 10k and adding to my # of transfers). So, unless they have really high OR, I'm not even going to bother pulling anyone less than 4 stars from now on.

Once my 18-year-olds get in their 20s, things will be swell, but for now I'll just try to hold on as best I can. In case you didn't notice, that CF free agent went for 800 million, so it looks like another season of sitting on my money till I can afford a quality upgrade.
That's so weird. I'm selling a d-man in hockey who is 15 and was a 3-3.5 star pull. He's already guaranteed to go for $1 million. No idea why; I posted his Qs and a couple that count are fairly low. Not sure what the big draw on him is. If anyone can figure it out, please share. I'd like to know if it's worth keeping more mediocre players. Mark Snow

Old
02-18-2014, 08:30 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
Handball Question: Who defends against an attacking Left Wing - my defensive Left Wing or my defensive Right Wing?
Your Left Wing is on your left side of the field, which is their right side of the field. Thus, their Right Wing.

Old
02-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
Your Left Wing is on your left side of the field, which is their right side of the field. Thus, their Right Wing.
Makes sense - just wanted to be sure before I face off vs the best handball player in Canada Jonas Vinnicombe

Old
02-18-2014, 11:04 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
Makes sense - just wanted to be sure before I face off vs the best handball player in Canada Jonas Vinnicombe
You can do whatever you want to block him. He still destroys me every game.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:33 AM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

Ok, who's the jersey maker here?

Old
02-19-2014, 06:29 AM
tescosamoa

My backup keeper in handball will be a winger the next 5 days. :-)

Old
02-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Cory
Hockeytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tescosamoa View Post
Cory the first week the RFA ,UFA market is high But you should be able to snag some good 29 year old's for cheap. I would look for 26 and 29 year olds in the the 1000 to 700 range. Upgrade every position and then next season grab a whole new first line again in the 1200 to 850 range. Goal this season with the new players is to finish in the 12-16 range and build chemistry for your back up, easy win games / injury replacement players. Season two upgrade all the positions again with UFA and RFA. Season 3 play with your team and then start to upgrade again as their contracts end.

More importantly you are going to need a stadium to cover those costs. So I would recommend you stop with the facilities except for the maint. Make it the goal to be able to spend 81M at the end of the season on a triple max.

Tough spot you have for spending money.
Been following this so far. At first, I was worried I was bidding too high on FAs. Then I saw how often I was outbid, how often the contracts were extended if I wasn't, and how much similar players went for on the regular market and decided I was comfortable with what I was bidding. Snagged a new goalkeeper today. I might have overpaid for him by $1-2 million, but it was one of my weakest spots and I think he's really going to help keep me in games. Or I could simply be basing that off his previous sales and not current market value and I'm fine.

Tonight it looks like I'm picking up a CM and a defender as long as neither team decides to match at the last minute. For the CL on the CM I feel like I might have overpaid, but compared to the regular market, it's still not too bad. It's a bit of a crapshoot. I throw out a bunch of bids each night and check the next morning to see what sticks.

EDIT: Big thanks to Mr. Orange for making it easier to sift through the FA market and separate the studs from the duds.

Last edited by Cory: 02-19-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: PPMe rocks
Old
02-19-2014, 08:08 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Ok, who's the jersey maker here?
I used to in the past, but I'm a bit out of practice. Send me a PM on PPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Big thanks to Mr. Orange for making it easier to sift through the FA market and separate the studs from the duds.
Glad you're finding it useful!

Closed Thread