HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calder favorite MacKinnon maintains top spot in Colorado Avalanche Top 20 update

Old
02-18-2014, 08:00 PM
HF Article

vCash: 500
Calder favorite MacKinnon maintains top spot in Colorado Avalanche Top 20 update

The Colorado Avalanche entered the Olympic break with a 37-16-5 record, which places them third in the Central Division behind the Chicago Blackhawks and St. Louis Blues.

Rookie Nathan MacKinnon has been a big part of the Avalanche and found his stride midway through the season when he was asked to play as the second line center in place of Paul Stastny, who was sidelined with an injury. He is quickly gaining a league wide reputation as one of the league’s most exciting young players.

In the AHL, the Lake Erie Monsters have not had the same success the Avalanche are having as their roster is riddled with injured players and had some of their better players called up to the Avalanche for short periods of time.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

This list is just one person's opinion but it's never a good thing when you have a poor group of prospects to begin with and two recent first round picks still don't crack the top five.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
RIP SvatosTheGreat

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
This list is just one person's opinion but it's never a good thing when you have a poor group of prospects to begin with and two recent first round picks still don't crack the top five.
One has been mauled by injuries, he'll make a name for himself. Maybe not with the avs but he'll get his hot in the NHL. The other sucks because he's too big for the NHL.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2MacKinnon View Post
One has been mauled by injuries, he'll make a name for himself. Maybe not with the avs but he'll get his hot in the NHL. The other sucks because he's too big for the NHL.
I think injuries have hurt Siemens' development quite a bit. He had the knee injury this season and I think he was out with a concussion for a bit when he was in junior. He's still really young though and this is his first year of pro hockey.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:35 PM
shadow1

Siemens stock has definitely fallen but he still has lots of time to develop, he's only 20.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
RIP SvatosTheGreat

vCash: 400
Quote:
I think injuries have hurt Siemens' development quite a bit. He had the knee injury this season and I think he was out with a concussion for a bit when he was in junior. He's still really young though and this is his first year of pro hockey.
If only he was a bit bigger this would've never happened!

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 09:09 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
Quote:
So let's get rid of our first for two months of Jagr or Markov!

I noticed Nate's rating has been upgraded to 9B. Didn't notice if anyone else's changed.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
I don't agree (at all) with Siemens being so low. Without flash people tend to underrate prospects. Also feel like Beaupre should have cracked the list over Stollery. Stollery isn't much of a prospect anyways.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 01:44 AM
viach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
So let's get rid of our first for two months of Jagr or Markov!

I noticed Nate's rating has been upgraded to 9B. Didn't notice if anyone else's changed.
You're right, before he was 9C like Yakupov. Now 9B.
I find it quite normal

viach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 06:36 AM
hockeyviking

i was looking at Siemens profile this is what i found

Siemens is the top Avalanche defensive defenseman prospect. While fans are impatient at his progress, his time in the minors will be invaluable when he finds himself an NHL regular.

hockeyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 07:40 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

1. Nugent-Hopkins
2. Larsson
3. Schenn
7. Rundblad
9. Niederreiter
10. Huberdeau
11. Couturier
12. Granlund
13. Landeskog

1. Galchenyuk
2. Huberdeau
3. Yakupov
4. MacKinnon

Lists are entertainment. No reason getting worked up where someone is on one.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:21 AM
a mangy Meowth
#thestructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
1. Nugent-Hopkins
2. Larsson
3. Schenn
7. Rundblad
9. Niederreiter
10. Huberdeau
11. Couturier
12. Granlund
13. Landeskog

1. Galchenyuk
2. Huberdeau
3. Yakupov
4. MacKinnon

Great post here.

a mangy Meowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
Great post here.
What am I missing with the lists? Obviously the first list would mostly be considered graduated prospects but why are there some missing? The last line is absolutely true though.

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskog View Post
What am I missing with the lists? Obviously the first list would mostly be considered graduated prospects but why are there some missing? The last line is absolutely true though.
HFs top 50 prospect lists from 2011 and 2013.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 11:04 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Seems like the list is really a bunch of stat watching. Sgarbossa has been injured and only put up 12 points, downgrade! Siemens has only played 20 games and only has 1 goal, downgrade! Bourke scoring a lot, upgrade!

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
1. Nugent-Hopkins
2. Larsson
3. Schenn
7. Rundblad
9. Niederreiter

10. Huberdeau
11. Couturier
12. Granlund

13. Landeskog

They ****ed this year up really bad. That's hilarious

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 10:04 AM
AvsGuy

Maybe this comment won't make much sense as I don't pay a lot of attention to NHL prospects in general, but I'm ok with the Avs having a "weak" prospect pool if it means that our better draft picks are making the jump to the team right away, which is the goal anyways. Duchene, MacK, O'Reilly didn't spend time on anyone's prospect list the way some other team's high draft picks have, they played right away.

AvsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 10:15 AM
calvin0416*

Only Chris Bigras looks to be good enough to make the jump up to the NHL next year. The rest of the Avs prospect pool looks to be a DISASTER. It is a crying shame to see such a weak prospect pool. Avs had better fire and hire some new scouts. That is the worst looking prospect pool I have seen and this coming from a lifetime leafs fan.

calvin0416* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Mifroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSmith View Post
Only Chris Bigras looks to be good enough to make the jump up to the NHL next year. The rest of the Avs prospect pool looks to be a DISASTER. It is a crying shame to see such a weak prospect pool. Avs had better fire and hire some new scouts. That is the worst looking prospect pool I have seen and this coming from a lifetime leafs fan.
Why wouldn't you count our last 1st round picks? Landeskog, O'Reilly and Duchene. We aren't drafting that bad. Our players just take the next step. It's not deep. But it's not THAT bad. In fact, if Hishon didn't have all these injuries, it wouldn't look that bad.

Mifroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 10:35 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy View Post
Maybe this comment won't make much sense as I don't pay a lot of attention to NHL prospects in general, but I'm ok with the Avs having a "weak" prospect pool if it means that our better draft picks are making the jump to the team right away, which is the goal anyways. Duchene, MacK, O'Reilly didn't spend time on anyone's prospect list the way some other team's high draft picks have, they played right away.
Prospect pools are a bit overrated. It is mainly for people that want to say look at how bright our future is! The best forward prospects (top 6) usually only spend another year or two in junior and then skip the AHL. Rarely (unless the team is the Red Wings) do top 6 forwards spend more than a year in the AHL. The Avs like to rush their forwards a bit as well, which I am okay with as they usually turn out fine. On defense, top 4 defense usually don't spend more than 2 seasons in the AHL and the very best usually spend less than that. IMO (and probably not a popular one at that) a really strong AHL team filled with high end prospects just signals to me that a team isn't graduating their players fast enough.

The faster a team is at graduating their prospects, the worse their pool looks. The Avs are one of the quickest teams to graduate their prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSmith View Post
Wow... the Avs drafting looks to have been really good since Pracey took over. Now they might need to improve their later round drafting, but it is far from a disaster. It is the opposite actually, I would say the Avs are easily a top 10 drafting team.

Bigras, Elliott, Condon, and Bourke could all be NHL ready next year, we will know at camp. Condon doesn't have much upside, but should be able to be a solid 4th line forward with excellent PK skills next year.

Old
02-21-2014, 10:58 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

It's a little hard to have a deep pool when the Avs didn't have a first in 08 and 12 and of course it's fantastic we have 4 high end picks in the NHL. The AHL team is full of lower round picks, the only a few high end picks, there are Hishon and Siemens, plus Heard and Elliott but almost everyone is a third and lower. This is why we NEED to draft a few more high end prospects. Bigras is one and hopefully we'll add two good ones this year. I like some of the kids in the AHL but most are just long shots.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 11:16 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

If we look at the young part of this team (26 and under) they are built like this:

ROR (23)-Duchene (23)-____
Landy (21)-MacK (18)-____
McGinn (25)-_____-_____

_____-EJ (25)
_____-Barrie (22)

Varly (25)

The wingers that are missing in the top 6 can easily be found in free agency going forward (they don't need to be great top 6 wings just complimentary). The bottom 6/bottom pairing is fairly easy to round out, though a #3C is important to find. The two difficult spots to fill are next to EJ and Barrie. I think it is safe to say that one will be filled by Bigras/Siemens going forward and that one spot will still need to be filled. Having only 1 high end need going forward with this young group (I don't say core because McGinn and Barrie are not part of the core) is quite a good position to be in. 1 good trade for a young defensmen with potential, or both Siemens/Bigras, or even 1 excellent draft pick in this next draft could solidify the young part of this team for the next 5 or so years.

The Avs need 1 more good young defensemen to have the group set, and the rest can really just be fill-ins.

Old
02-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
If we look at the young part of this team (26 and under) they are built like this:

ROR (23)-Duchene (23)-____
Landy (21)-MacK (18)-____
McGinn (25)-_____-_____

_____-EJ (25)
_____-Barrie (22)

Varly (25)

The wingers that are missing in the top 6 can easily be found in free agency going forward (they don't need to be great top 6 wings just complimentary). The bottom 6/bottom pairing is fairly easy to round out, though a #3C is important to find. The two difficult spots to fill are next to EJ and Barrie. I think it is safe to say that one will be filled by Bigras/Siemens going forward and that one spot will still need to be filled. Having only 1 high end need going forward with this young group (I don't say core because McGinn and Barrie are not part of the core) is quite a good position to be in. 1 good trade for a young defensmen with potential, or both Siemens/Bigras, or even 1 excellent draft pick in this next draft could solidify the young part of this team for the next 5 or so years.

The Avs need 1 more good young defensemen to have the group set, and the rest can really just be fill-ins.
You could just put McGinn with ROR-Duchene IMO.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Chau
HFB Partner

For the record I'm not a fan of numerically ranking players like the format I was given.

Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Averick*

We have a skeletal prospect pool. There are few good prospects but there's no meat on the bone.

Averick* is offline   Reply With Quote