HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2014, 08:50 AM
russ99

vCash: 500
Reason #2848 that Eakins is in way over his head:

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6717

Still, we just can't go into another year with yet another new head coach. So we need two things:

1) Eakins has to recognize that his ideas aren't the only way that works. True, he may be different in the room, but everything he's said in the press leans this way.

2) We need to dump the all assistants and get him some experienced help, especially in areas where he has philosophical deficiencies, such as zone entry, power plays, handling player workloads, mentoring defensemen, etc.

MacT may need to take as bold a step as bringing in someone as associate coach on the offensive side of things.

Old
02-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Yep Halls two best assets are zone entries on the rush, and his shot on the power play. Eakins neutered both.

Old
02-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Reason #2848 that Eakins is in way over his head:

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6717

Still, we just can't go into another year with yet another new head coach. So we need two things:

1) Eakins has to recognize that his ideas aren't the only way that works. True, he may be different in the room, but everything he's said in the press leans this way.

2) We need to dump the all assistants and get him some experienced help, especially in areas where he has philosophical deficiencies, such as zone entry, power plays, handling player workloads, mentoring defensemen, etc.

MacT may need to take as bold a step as bringing in someone as associate coach on the offensive side of things.
just more weirdness. It looks more and more like Eakins is not coaching the players he's got, he is trying to break said players into the player-types he wants for the team he invisions.

Just what did Mact so love about this guy? when you love a guys philosophy on what makes a championship team, do you not consider the actual players you've got? I think Mact completely forgot about this vital aspect when he pulled the trigger on Kruger. It was an impulse move completely shrouded in emotion. he saw stars after interviewing Eakins, and after a few martinis in Lowe's room, he pulled the pin. Now he's got a coach that is more suited for a bunch of hacks, working with elite, but very raw skill.

Old
02-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
just more weirdness. It looks more and more like Eakins is not coaching the players he's got, he is trying to break said players into the player-types he wants for the team he invisions.

Just what did Mact so love about this guy? when you love a guys philosophy on what makes a championship team, do you not consider the actual players you've got? I think Mact completely forgot about this vital aspect when he pulled the trigger on Kruger. It was an impulse move completely shrouded in emotion. he saw stars after interviewing Eakins, and after a few martinis in Lowe's room, he pulled the pin. Now he's got a coach that is more suited for a bunch of hacks, working with elite, but very raw skill.
Your description of Eakins perfectly describes Mactavish's coaching philosophy over the course of the 9 years he ran the Oiler's bench, which then answers the second question of why Mact would be enamoured with Eakins after one interview.

Tearing down players and discarding anyone who didn't fit the narrow definition of what inflexible coach thinks a hockey player should be was the norm in Edmonton for a very long time. It's unsurprising that the coach who brought that mentality to the bench for so long, made it his first move as a new GM to re-establish that ideology within the organization.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:05 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Your description of Eakins perfectly describes Mactavish's coaching philosophy over the course of the 9 years he ran the Oiler's bench, which then answers the second question of why Mact would be enamoured with Eakins after one interview.

Tearing down players and discarding anyone who didn't fit the narrow definition of what inflexible coach thinks a hockey player should be was the norm in Edmonton for a very long time. It's unsurprising that the coach who brought that mentality to the bench for so long, made it his first move as a new GM to re-establish that ideology within the organization.
I suppose. that philosophy in Mact's time was understandable under the circumstances. low budget players like Greer, Moreau, Rem Murray, etc, and grind it out, out work the opposition, dive on the grenade style made sense.

I guess, if mact wants to use the assets he's got to get more of these type of players, while still keeping at least 4 of his elite players, it could work. its a solid theory. put can it be done and soon enough to keep me (and Hall/Eberle) interested? He can't allow this team to finish in the bottom five again. His 7 months to drastically improve this team.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:44 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
I suppose. that philosophy in Mact's time was understandable under the circumstances. low budget players like Greer, Moreau, Rem Murray, etc, and grind it out, out work the opposition, dive on the grenade style made sense.

I guess, if mact wants to use the assets he's got to get more of these type of players, while still keeping at least 4 of his elite players, it could work. its a solid theory. put can it be done and soon enough to keep me (and Hall/Eberle) interested? He can't allow this team to finish in the bottom five again. His 7 months to drastically improve this team.
It's not really understandable. A team that needed to excel at drafting and development to remain competitive; was instead terrible and drafting and tore down players that showed even a hint of promise before losing them to other organizations who struggled to build them back up again(most were lost causes by that point though).

If you put any stock into Tyler's conclusions(which you do since you were quoting and presenting a response regarding those conclusion), then you can already see it happening again. Hall's game is being torn down to a more simplistic approach to conform to how Eakins feels the game should be played as opposed to what Hall is good(if not outright dynamic) at; that's a classic Mactavish coaching move.

It's a script we've all seen before. It's one where the talent heads to greener pasture at the first opportunity they get(if not outright forcing the move), and the team tops out as a contender for scraping into the playoffs on the last day of the season, and nothing more.

Old
02-21-2014, 02:25 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

The only bad thing about the 1-0 victory by Canada is that Eakins will make the Oilers watch it 10,007 times so they can emulate that kind of win.

Old
02-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
It's not really understandable. A team that needed to excel at drafting and development to remain competitive; was instead terrible and drafting and tore down players that showed even a hint of promise before losing them to other organizations who struggled to build them back up again(most were lost causes by that point though).

If you put any stock into Tyler's conclusions(which you do since you were quoting and presenting a response regarding those conclusion), then you can already see it happening again. Hall's game is being torn down to a more simplistic approach to conform to how Eakins feels the game should be played as opposed to what Hall is good(if not outright dynamic) at; that's a classic Mactavish coaching move.

It's a script we've all seen before. It's one where the talent heads to greener pasture at the first opportunity they get(if not outright forcing the move), and the team tops out as a contender for scraping into the playoffs on the last day of the season, and nothing more.
If their plan is to change all the players they drafted, one must question why they drafted them in the first place. Yak is a perfect example of this. didn't they scout him? Surely, they knew (or should have) that the kid has the defensive awareness of a 10 year old.

if Mact doesn't like any of the players he's got, it seems strange that he would hold at least 7 of them as untouchable. Will the morphing of Hall into a 200' player hurt him or help him? At this point, I would say it will help him. As you state, there is a risk. I certainly feel they would have been better off going forward with Kruger than with Eakins. We shall see if the Eakins gamble (and it is a huge gamble) will work out.. I would say, at this point, it is more likely to fail than to succeed.

Old
02-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Oi'll say!

Funny that the talk about Eakins dies down after Scrivens has a couple of completely unrealistic performances in net and the Oiler have an improbable "points in games they shouldn't have gotten points in" streak.

The Oilers were playing well enough to earn some points in a few games before the Sharks game but that was it. Pretty much everything after that was fluke.

I don't care how many coaches they have had recently, Eakins is a bad fit for this team and most likely the nhl in general. I'm not sure what else he can do to prove it. He needs to go.

Old
02-21-2014, 11:38 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Funny that the talk about Eakins dies down after Scrivens has a couple of completely unrealistic performances in net and the Oiler have an improbable "points in games they shouldn't have gotten points in" streak.

The Oilers were playing well enough to earn some points in a few games before the Sharks game but that was it. Pretty much everything after that was fluke.

I don't care how many coaches they have had recently, Eakins is a bad fit for this team and most likely the nhl in general. I'm not sure what else he can do to prove it. He needs to go.
scary things is that is precisely what happened last year, leading up to the TDL; prompting Tambo to stand pat because 'we don't want to send the wrong message' and 'we believe in this group'. Will Mact fall victim to another mirage?

Old
02-22-2014, 12:09 AM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
scary things is that is precisely what happened last year, leading up to the TDL; prompting Tambo to stand pat because 'we don't want to send the wrong message' and 'we believe in this group'. Will Mact fall victim to another mirage?
I'll have to disagree since at that deadline we were at least within striking distance of making the playoffs. There is no hope of that this season. We will be sellers.

Old
02-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
I'll have to disagree since at that deadline we were at least within striking distance of making the playoffs. There is no hope of that this season. We will be sellers.
well, that's true. Still wont give Tambo any slack for standing pat. he should have been trying to improve the team (water under the bridge, tho). In this regard, I will give Mact credit, he recognizes that this group will never just grow into a champion; he sees that moves will need to be made.

Old
02-22-2014, 01:14 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
well, that's true. Still wont give Tambo any slack for standing pat. he should have been trying to improve the team (water under the bridge, tho). In this regard, I will give Mact credit, he recognizes that this group will never just grow into a champion; he sees that moves will need to be made.
Like trading real NHL dmen for prospects who are nowhere near ready to contribute and help the team win games now?

He is a bumbling moron.

Old
02-22-2014, 02:09 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
If their plan is to change all the players they drafted, one must question why they drafted them in the first place. Yak is a perfect example of this. didn't they scout him? Surely, they knew (or should have) that the kid has the defensive awareness of a 10 year old.

if Mact doesn't like any of the players he's got, it seems strange that he would hold at least 7 of them as untouchable. Will the morphing of Hall into a 200' player hurt him or help him? At this point, I would say it will help him. As you state, there is a risk. I certainly feel they would have been better off going forward with Kruger than with Eakins. We shall see if the Eakins gamble (and it is a huge gamble) will work out.. I would say, at this point, it is more likely to fail than to succeed.
Don't know why they draft players they feel the need to tear down, but the results are not only obvious - but also spectacularly bad.

The Oilers haven't been a competitive franchise since 2006, and they are still trying to jam that square peg in the round hole while the rest of the league stands around snickering at how bad they are.

Old
02-22-2014, 03:12 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Like trading real NHL dmen for prospects who are nowhere near ready to contribute and help the team win games now?

He is a bumbling moron.
You can't actually believe that.

The guy has improved our team ON PAPER at every single position. Getting Scrivens and Bryzgalov were godlike moves. Getting Perron and Gordon who have been two of our best players all year. Getting Belov and Ference who have both been regulars and one is our captain.

It is his first season as our GM and he has made a bunch of moves so far to improve. Smid had terrible numbers and guess what, we have Marincin playing far better than Smid ever did.

Old
02-22-2014, 03:54 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

He is a bumbling moron.
well, it seems like a strange trade, but let me ask you this: what would the Oilers' record be had they not made the Smid deal? (here's a hint: no better and maybe a bit worse, for, as Duul said, the move made room for a much better Marincin).

I'll give Mact a flyer on the Smid deal. a pretty meh D-man for a prospect. not exactly an earth shattering deal. Mistake? not a big one, tho.

Old
02-22-2014, 09:39 AM
armandh01

My issue with any trades is always going to come back to whether or not this sh**** coach costs us good players due to his inabilities to utilize anyone to their strengths.

Old
02-22-2014, 03:15 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post

Good goaltending always helps take the pressure off any other problems in your team. Scrivens and Bryzgalov have both made the net way more stable and its something we no longer have to worry about (this season anyway).

I've been kicking this around in my head though, in lieu of the romours that Mact was trying to get Maurice here as an associate coach, and mentor for Eakins. Say hypothetically Maurice agreed to this, wouldn't that neuter Eakins presence in the locker room? He would be labelled head coach, but Maurice is the one with the wisdom, so the players would be going to him with questions, and to get him to teach/show them certain things on the ice. This would be the situation even if the name is not Maurice. So my idea is this because with Eakin's contract, he is here for a while. In the off-season demote him to the associate coach role (and fire Buchburger!) , and hire the new person who is an NHL veteran as the true head coach, and have Eakins mentored this way for 3 seasons. By now (and by then) Eakins has gotten to know the players in the room, which keeps some continuity in the room, and he would learn more about coaching at the NHL level. I think this would be easier on the players in the room too, as this would be the proper set up for the chain of command.

Having Eakins as head coach, and the mentor the associate, when the mentor is clearly superior, is improper and stupid in my mind. Its putting the horse behind the wagon.

Last edited by yukoner88: 02-22-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old
02-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
Good always helps take the pressure off any other problems in your team. Scrivens and Bryzgalov have both made the net way more stable and its something we no longer have to worry about (this season anyway).

I've been kicking this around in my head though, in lieu of the romours that Mact was trying to get Maurice here as an associate coach, and mentor for Eakins. Say hypothetically Maurice agreed to this, wouldn't that neuter Eakins presence in the locker room? He would be labelled head coach, but Maurice is the one with the wisdom, so the players would be going to him with questions, and to get him to teach/show them certain things on the ice. This would be the situation even if the name is not Maurice. So my idea is this because with Eakin's contract, he is here for a while. In the off-season demote him to the associate coach role (and fire Buchburger!) , and hire the new person who is an NHL veteran as the true head coach, and have Eakins mentored this way for 3 seasons. By now (and by then) Eakins has gotten to know the players in the room, which keeps some continuity in the room, and he would learn more about coaching at the NHL level. I think this would be easier on the players in the room too, as this would be the proper set up for the chain of command.

Having Eakins as head coach, and the mentor the associate, when the mentor is clearly superior, is improper and stupid in my mind. Its putting the horse behind the wagon.
So.. Do they just fire the mentor after three years?

Old
02-22-2014, 03:26 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
So.. Do they just fire the mentor after three years?
I said three years because that's when Eakin's current contract expires, depending on what results/locker room feed back make your decision from there

Old
02-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
I said three years because that's when Eakin's current contract expires, depending on what results/locker room feed back make your decision from there
And if they are both well received? It wouldn't be fair or make sense to fire one or the other.

Old
02-22-2014, 04:22 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
And if they are both well received? It wouldn't be fair or make sense to fire one or the other.
But that's a problem we could deal with in 3 years if it came to that, and would be a good problem to have. Worrying about something like that is over thinking imo. If we come out of this with two people that make the team successful, and we have to choose one or the other, or both, that's not a bad thing to have to deal with. Especially if its a solution to the problems now, which are directly from a lack of leadership in the room

Last edited by yukoner88: 02-22-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old
02-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
But that's a problem we could deal with in 3 years if it came to that, and would be a good problem to have. Worrying about something like that is over thinking imo. If we come out of this with two people that make the team successful, and we have to choose one or the other, or both, that's not a bad thing to have to deal with. Especially if its a solution to the problems now, which are directly from a lack of leadership in the room
Well then I definitely hope we have that problem in three years

Old
02-22-2014, 05:16 PM
yukoner88

Me too Nilsson

Old
02-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Then it makes perfect sense that MacT would do it lol.

Closed Thread