HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hossa (Merged with Poll)

View Poll Results: Are You a Hossa Supporter?
YES -I always Hoped for the best with him 108 55.10%
YES -I was not a supporter of him at the start of this season but i'm liking him now! 63 32.14%
NO - I wasn't a supporter of him and despite him playing better he shouldnt be on the Team 11 5.61%
NO - I wasnt a supporter of him from the start, still not. 14 7.14%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-11-2007, 02:50 AM
lotus

vCash: 500
Ever since the start of the year when i saw him controlling the puck from 3 people and confused him with Jagr I've supported him. He can be so damn good. And youre not the only one who knows he didnt do this all year. You think the GM's would accept him just because of what he's done recently?

...well, probably. But thats because they see that he can be great with some motivation and teammates. There's a reason this guy hasn't been waived to play in Hartford. He would be claimed right away. no thanks on the trade, he's a huge help for us, especially right now.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 03:09 AM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Hossa's been fantastic for the last two months. One of our most unheralded players out there. And now we want to trade him?!
well said Jon.

Maybe if Marcel Hossa changed his surname, people would take him for what he is.

kickice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 03:14 AM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
I've always liked him. And appreciated him for what he is when he was playing on the lower lines, he did his job.

He's a good solid hard working player, and now he's showing a bit more to his game, so all good, I'm pleased for him.

kickice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 03:15 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

"YES -I always Hoped for the best with him "

With the exception of Tibbetts, I'd say that was true of any Ranger.

Did I think Hossa might fail (or still might fail)? YES.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 03:25 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickice View Post
Maybe if Marcel Hossa changed his surname, people would take him for what he is.
Yeah really. This poor guy has to be compared to one of the best players in the world all his career. At least we know that when he does good he has fun. After all, isn't that what gets peoples hot streaks going in the first place?

I want to see that Marcel dance again!

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I have always loved his potential. Skating, size, uses that size well, and good in the defensive zone. I must admit that his point total started to scare me, but if he stays hot for a while he could make up for it.

So Fly, the new avatar mean you don't want Renney fired anymore?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 03:52 AM

Looks like Hossa has found right place in first line. I always like him, but know he is one of my fav.

#68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 04:22 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

my friends told me he was playing good, i thought they were on crack.. i saw him play today.

i actually think hes going to be half as good as his brother

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 04:36 AM
Taz

I have felt there was something there flashes of great plays, but he was very frustrating in his production, but this season he has made me like him alot with his puck possesion and constant hardwork, it seems now he is using those traits to go towards the net and not facing the boards...

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:36 AM
Ola

I am defenitly a supporter, but I am also pretty doubtful.

I want to see him adjust and develop his game more. Explore new ways to create offense.

Marcel Hossa kind of reminds me of Mikael Renberg in one sense. Renberg plays the game one way, got good speed for a man his size, drives hard to the net, got a short stick so he can handle the puck in traffic well, and he always finnish from close range.

I've followed Renberg for 15-16 years. He is still playing the game exactly like he did when he were 18, he have never found new ways to create offense. He should be a big star in the SEL, but he still as a 35 y/o always puts his head down and drives to the net like he did when he were 18 y/o.

Hossa doesn't seem to explore his potential, he kind of drives to the net the same way all the time, if he gets enough pucks its pretty effective, if the pucks go in he scores goals. I just don't think he ever will become effective, and is bound to always be very streaky.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:41 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Marcel Hossa is the next Markus Naslund who struggled in Pittsburgh and Vancouver.Then Mark Messier showed up in Van and Naslund became a player

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
I hoped he would turn it around, he is strong on the puck, somewhat Jagresque. He just needs to keep it, he has the strength and talent he just needs the consistency to set in. Keep it up Hossa.

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:41 AM
nexusrage21

I voted that I always hoped for the best with him. Basically my feelings with him have ranged from liking him, to not really caring and back, but I've never been against him.

My Dad LOVES him though.

nexusrage21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:05 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
With the exception of Tibbetts, I'd say that was true of any Ranger.

Did I think Hossa might fail (or still might fail)? YES.
And there it is. I hope every last player on the roster becomes a Hall of Famer.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:39 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Some players with skills like Hossa, need good players to bring their skills out of them. If he turns out to be the power forward Renney thinks he can be, then good for the Rangers. At least he ups his trade value.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:55 AM
eco's bones

Like any other of our players I always hope he does well. He's made himself more useful this year as a checking line player but in some respects that may have come about due in some respect to the ineffectiveness of Hall and the lesser effectiveness of Jason Ward. The offense seems to be coming around lately for Hossa and hopefully he will be able to sustain it for the rest of the reason. He has talent and size--he's fairly reliable defensively--he needs to use all his assets consistently to become a good player and a regular NHL player. There are good signs but he needs to pass that consistency test.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:14 AM
polako

I've been a fan of Marcel's since his arrival. In the almost two years he has been here, he has become a completely different player. No longer is he a failed scorer. He has actually developed the defensive side of his game quite nicely and has been contributing in other ways (take a look at his hit count) for a good while now.

That the goals seem to be coming shouldn't cloud the fact that he does a lot of hard work in both the defensive and offensive zones.

I could have sworn this board was 70:30 Anti-Hossa, but this thread seems to suggest otherwise. I still expect a wave of "haters" to arrive.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Garv23

I'll admit HATING this guy for the first half of the season and not understanding why Renny kept him up with the team. He's really impressed me since the allstar break though. Skating hard, strong on the puck, smart plays, good shot. I'm real happy with Hossa now. Hope it keeps up.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:15 AM
True Blue

Liking him or not liking him has nothing do to with supporting him

I do not like or dislike him as a person. To me he has been a failed player sometimes and a bubble player at others, with a few odd good, brief stretches sprinkled in. However, off course I want for him to become a top-6 player. Who doesn't?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:18 AM
n_a_c

I'm not surprised that the (silent) majority support him and always did. I am one of those silent majority.

Just because he does not play up to his talent level does not mean he is worthless and should be traded. Hossa has steadily both last year and this year, and I think it is clear he still has untapped talent to learn how to utilize. That is why I would rather watch a young team (which can continually improve) than an old team (which probably can't)

It seems to me that some posters think that EVERYONE needs to be as talented as a first or second line player. Not everyone can score 40, 30, or even 20 goals. And that's life. I think that Hossa has played with a reasonable amount of heart all season, and he plays a very solid defensive game.

Add to his heart and defensive game the fact that he is improving and clearly can continue to improve - I can't imagine why you would want to trade him. I don't think he is untouchable, but I thought he was worthy of being on the team.

He was never a "problem" on the team that needed fixing.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:22 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
It seems to me that some posters think that EVERYONE needs to be as talented as a first or second line player. Not everyone can score 40, 30, or even 20 goals. And that's life.
Not EVERYONE has to be able to score 20 goals and thus, not EVERYONE belongs on the top 2 lines. The amount of goals you are capable of scoring certainlly matters a great deal if you want to consider someone a top-6 forward.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:25 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I voted, always hopeful. I think we all do that. But I have to admit I was frustrated because the guy was getting a ton of ice time and producing nothing. People will point out that he is producing now because he is playing with better players, yes that is true, but, that doesn'y necessarily mean that Colton Orr could do the same. Its all relative as to whether the player has the inert skill to begin with.

The problem, or I should say the part that goy me PO'd was the inability of our 3rd and 4th lines to generate any offense. I attribute that to the 2nd line center issue. I've said, as have others, that once that issue has been resolved many of the other problems will also be resolved by the reslotting of people to their correct slots on lines.

I did not see Hossa as part of the solution, never mind stepping up tot he 1st line. But now you have a player on that line that is go defebsively, not that Starka isn't, he is. But now you have 2 good defensive players playing with Jagr. Same holds truie on the 2nd line, Shannahan & Avery covering for Nylander. Balance is what we have now, not just offense, but defense that will translate into a good transition game.

Hossa may very well end up becoming a lesson for some NYR fans. This is what is meant by development. Players eitehr are gifted offensively or defensively. Each must add the other component to their game to play regularly in the NHL. years ago they refined their games in the minors. Today, ala Hossa, they learn on the job in the NHL. I think, at least I hope so, that what we are seeing Renney doing with Prucha is the same thing he's done with Hossa, a finished product that now is more valuable. That is coaching as much as matching lines.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:27 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Marcel Hossa is the next Markus Naslund who struggled in Pittsburgh and Vancouver.Then Mark Messier showed up in Van and Naslund became a player
Now you've gone and done it. The kid ctaches a break now every knee jerk NYR fan will be holding him up to that expectation!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
haha i love how the majority here say they always knew he would be this good. We all know thats a lie. There are only about 10% of you that supported hossa during the rough part of his progression.
Thats my whole point, but when you say that it makes people feel a bit silly so they get upset and well, blah blah blah.

2 good game suddenly everyone suupportshim, im not jumping on the Hossa is great to have and I support him band wagon. Until this kid shows some sort of steadyness and really seems to be important then i will hopefully change my opinion about him.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:52 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Not EVERYONE has to be able to score 20 goals and thus, not EVERYONE belongs on the top 2 lines. The amount of goals you are capable of scoring certainlly matters a great deal if you want to consider someone a top-6 forward.
T.B.: Where have you been? Not posting a whole lot lately. Either have I. Working my tail off. In fact, I've missed a few games at home.Good to see Hossa scoring some goals and the lines changed. I like Prucha on the PP with Jagr. Perhaps there is still hope though I'm concerned about fatigue for our stars. Renney must roll four lines from now on

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote