HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XIX: The Olympic Freeze

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2014, 08:50 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
I am obviously a fan of Boyle, but at this point I am more inclined to let him walk than re-sign him with Miller and Lindbergh on the way.

Old
02-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
I am obviously a fan of Boyle, but at this point I am more inclined to let him walk than re-sign him with Miller and Lindbergh on the way.
Also Cristo and Bork.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
02-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Heisenberg View Post
I think a 4 goal difference/yr for a 4th liner is relatively high in contract negotiations. And by that I mean a .8-.5 difference in annual salary.
You realize Kelly was a better player than Boyle ever was when he signed that contract? He's definitely declining, but he was worth his contract.

Nobody is denying that Boyle is important, we are saying Boyle isn't worth $2 mill even with the increasing cap.

02-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
You realize Kelly was a better player than Boyle ever was when he signed that contract? He's definitely declining, but he was worth his contract.

Nobody is denying that Boyle is important, we are saying Boyle isn't worth $2 mill even with the increasing cap.
You are saying that.

My opinion differs.

So does the opinion of others, by the looks of the conversation.

Old
02-18-2014, 09:06 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Boyle currently makes $1.7M, and that was signed as a RFA. $2M would be a great price for him, I would expect him to get an upwards of $3M per on the open market.

Old
02-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Boyle currently makes $1.7M, and that was signed as a RFA. $2M would be a great price for him, I would expect him to get an upwards of $3M per on the open market.
Please explain the #. I don't see how.

Old
02-18-2014, 09:10 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Please explain the #. I don't see how.
Just an estimate based on the current market.

02-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
Boyd Gordon, who brings less than Boyle, got 3 million.

Boyle will make money this summer.

Old
02-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Just an estimate based on the current market.
I guess we'll see. I just don't see how he gets north of 2.5 unless some team's GM ***** the bed.

Old
02-18-2014, 09:18 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Me too.But I think 1.5M is his real value. His size/reach in itself is a commodity, but he's really not good at anything. He's Gaustad all over again...

To the earlier debate, I do think Moore and Boyle make each other obsolete. Boyle has size, but Moore has speed and is cheaper... take Moore, trade Boyle to BOS for their 2nd, next year's 3rd... and learn to draft.

Old
02-18-2014, 09:28 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
I guess we'll see. I just don't see how he gets north of 2.5 unless some team's GM ***** the bed.
Lol... but yeah he'll make waaay more than he's worth!

Old
02-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Me too.But I think 1.5M is his real value. His size/reach in itself is a commodity, but he's really not good at anything. He's Gaustad all over again...

To the earlier debate, I do think Moore and Boyle make each other obsolete. Boyle has size, but Moore has speed and is cheaper... take Moore, trade Boyle to BOS for their 2nd, next year's 3rd... and learn to draft.
Boyle has size but so did Marek Malik... having size is nice if you know how to use it to your advantage.. Boyle still does not.. not talking about fighting. he is not really aggressive either with his size. David Backes has size although is 6'3 230 but he is more noticeable with it then Brian Boyle at 6'7 250

Old
02-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Boyles skating is horrible . He is light years ahead of two years ago and is still just a step ahead of Colton Orr .. He falls a minimum of once a shift

Old
02-18-2014, 09:52 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post

I think you're $1.5M is quite low, but I understand what you're saying. However, I don't think you can judge a player's value based solely on hockey skills/technique. You must consider other factors, such as grit, energy, leadership, loyalty, effect on the locker room, etc. Not that Boyle has all of those, but they add to his value. His value is somewhere around $2.25M in my eyes, based on everything. He will probably get more in an open market, but maybe not if we sign him prior to him reaching that market.

Old
02-18-2014, 09:58 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

This team is 29-17-3 since going 3-7.

To put that in perspective, if we had gone 5-5 in those games, we'd be 34-22-3, have 71 points, tied for third in the East.

This is a team that should be adding, not subtracting.

At worst, if we are trading guys, we should be making supplemental moves to counteract the loss.

Just my opinion.

Old
02-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

Quote:
.05 goals means 5 goals more per average every 100 games. 4 per season in an 82 game season.

I think it shows Kelly's offensive potential is consistently higher.
Just throwing this out there.

In 33 playoff games Boyle has 6 goals. Kelly has 12 in 90 playoff games. Actually, Boyle was held scoreless in 2010-11 so it's really 6 goals in only 28 games.

To be honest I like Boyle. I always have, probably more than most on here. I think he's a great team guy, he seems to be great in the room and he's always willing to sacrifice his body and stick up for his team mates. Most of all, the past two seasons, he's really elevated his play in the playoffs. He's one guy on this team who absolutely steps up in the playoffs.

I want him re-signed. Preferably under 2.5 a season. 2.2x4 years would be just swell by me. You need the glue guys.

Old
02-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
Just throwing this out there.

In 33 playoff games Boyle has 6 goals. Kelly has 12 in 90 playoff games.

To be honest I like Boyle. I always have, probably more than most on here. I think he's a great team guy, he seems to be great in the room and he's always willing to sacrifice his body and stick up for his team mates. Most of all, the past two seasons, he's really elevated his play in the playoffs. He's one guy on this team who absolutely steps up in the playoffs.

I want him re-signed. Preferably under 2.5 a season. 2.2x4 years would be just swell by me. You need the glue guys.

yea let's resign him so Lindberg can spend another year in the AHL Lindberg should be called up just in case Boyle walks. remember as a first time UFA, he might take advantage of that. players like him dont play long.. how many 4th line forwards that play past the age of 33 (likely a 5 year deal as an UFA)... not many...

Old
02-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
yea let's resign him so Lindberg can spend another year in the AHL Lindberg should be called up just in case Boyle walks. remember as a first time UFA, he might take advantage of that. players like him dont play long.. how many 4th line forwards that play past the age of 33 (likely a 5 year deal as an UFA)... not many...
How many 4th liners get 5 year deals?

Old
02-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
How many 4th liners get 5 year deals?
Prust got a 4 year deal so its off by one year . i think as a 1st time UFA, he might try for 5.. players like them dont last long... if i was an UFA id try to get the longest deal because at any time it could be their last...

Old
02-18-2014, 10:19 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Prust got a 4 year deal so its off by one year . i think as a 1st time UFA, he might try for 5.. players like them dont last long... if i was an UFA id try to get the longest deal because at any time it could be their last...
I'm sure Boyle would like a 5 year deal. But why would a team give it to him?

Old
02-18-2014, 10:25 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Its much better to have Lindberg develop on our 4th line when we hope he tops out as a top 6 player and bottoms out as a top 9 forward....than to have Boyle who actually fits the role of a 4th liner and reduced minutes even strength. Quality development there. Reminds me of how we attempted to develop Maholtra and Lundmark.

Boyle should be re-signed and the logic around the distaste for him is asinine.

Old
02-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Some guys here didn't think Prust would get a stupid contract, but he did. I think Boyle finds a new home this summer, something like 4/11.

Old
02-18-2014, 11:16 PM
darko

I'd give Boyle anywhere from 2 to 2.5 mill per. 3 is a bit of a reach.

Something like 3/7.5

Old
02-18-2014, 11:17 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'm sure Boyle would like a 5 year deal. But why would a team give it to him?
Because it fits his narrative, if you can even call it that.

Old
02-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Boyle has size but so did Marek Malik... having size is nice if you know how to use it to your advantage.. Boyle still does not.. not talking about fighting. he is not really aggressive either with his size. David Backes has size although is 6'3 230 but he is more noticeable with it then Brian Boyle at 6'7 250
Yea, and Malik had a pretty good career here until the end.

He's not the tough presence you want, but he does hit. He also uses his size/reach on the PK.

Who said he's Backes…? I could name a players bigger or smaller who are more or less physical. He doesn't have the skill or attitude of Backes, but what's your point? He's a 4th line center - not a first line center…

I'm not even looking to resign the guy because he'll probably get 2.5-3 million, but the hate on him is stupid. Comparing him to Backes is ridiculous.

Closed Thread