HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Forsberg(again, rumors)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2007, 11:01 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
If you guys had to rank the following group of defenseman, in what order would you place them:

Do so not on how they're playing today, but for the next 5-7 years.

Ryan Suter
Shea Weber
Kevin Klein
Cody Franson
Ryan Parent

Old
02-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
If you guys had to rank the following group of defenseman, in what order would you place them:

Do so not on how they're playing today, but for the next 5-7 years.

Ryan Suter
Shea Weber
Kevin Klein
Cody Franson
Ryan Parent
weber
suter
franson
parent
klein

Old
02-11-2007, 11:09 AM
braindead

Shea Weber
Ryan Suter/Ryan Parent
Kevin Klein/Cody Franson

I think both Suter and Klein are going to be substantially better than the credit they are being given now. Weber is overshadowing Suter to an extent but he is going to be great. Klein is going to be an excellent puck moving defensemen and power play guy but it gets lost in Nashville's depth and the regular expectation that he will be traded.

Old
02-11-2007, 11:19 AM
predfan24

New rumor coming from Eklund. So it's probaly not true. BUT he's now saying Philly wants Radulov. I'm sorry giving up radu for a rental is unbelievably stupid. I hope Ek is wrong on this again, of course now he's saying 1st,2nd and a prospect for him. mabye he's just making it up as he goes along.

Old
02-11-2007, 11:23 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
The nashville deal could look something like forsberg + pitkanen for webber.

Anyway, imo the deal of Belanger for Vishnevsky makes Nashville a prime candidate to land Forsberg. They needed a center more than a defenseman and they moved their newly acquired 3rd line C for another defenseman? Also, The Flyers are coveting young defensemen as a return for Forsberg..
to add on that, Nashville is very probably hard pressed to make a run deep into the playoffs..

a deal for Forsberg involving one of the promising defenders (Franson, Parent, Klein) would make sense.

Old
02-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If its a prospect and a pick, Klein and a 2nd would seem to fit the bill.....

303 - was your post a joke or legitimate about the phone call? It seems like a tongue and cheek response referencing the Dumont signing.

02-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
If its a prospect and a pick, Klein and a 2nd would seem to fit the bill.....

303 - was your post a joke or legitimate about the phone call? It seems like a tongue and cheek response referencing the Dumont signing.
no joke, was what i was told had happened..

Old
02-11-2007, 01:02 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Philly journalists are starting to spread a "Radulov for Forsberg" rumor

Old
02-11-2007, 01:09 PM
JayPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Philly journalists are starting to spread a "Radulov for Forsberg" rumor
I'm sorry, I have to chime in here. No one is going to get a guy like Peter Forsberg without paying a very significant price. No one as good as Forsberg as EVER been available at the deadline. He will go to another team and be either THE top player on the team, or one of the top 2 players on the team. To say you can get him for a prospect and picks is crazy when the bidding war and demand for him will be huge. Lets be realistic, folks.

Old
02-11-2007, 01:23 PM
handtrick

Zids plus [maybe a 2nd or 3rd pick or Upshall] for Forsberg makes the most sense to me from a value standpoint, given Zid's contract]......but I wouldn't be surprised if it is something less like Klein/Franson/or Parent, Upshall and 1st or 2nd.

I don't see Radulov being involved....UNLESS Forsberg is going to be more than a rental for the Preds AND his surgically deformed foot issue has been resolved moreso than what has been in the press.
Honestly, I can't see it though, because we aren't gonna want to eat Foppa's salary for next year.

Forsberg as a rental makes total sense though on many fronts:
-this year's long cup run, maybe even to the Stanley Cup Finals is critical to season ticket sales next year and long term viability of this franchise.
-Assuring infusion of ticket sales for the rest of the year and sellout of all Playoff games with Forsberg here.
-The Preds renting Forsberg keeps him out of Anaheim, San Jose, and Detroit.

I would bet on this one WILL happen WITHOUT disrupting our young core of Weber/Suter/Hamhuis/Radulov.

Old
02-11-2007, 01:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
I'm sorry, I have to chime in here. No one is going to get a guy like Peter Forsberg without paying a very significant price. No one as good as Forsberg as EVER been available at the deadline. He will go to another team and be either THE top player on the team, or one of the top 2 players on the team. To say you can get him for a prospect and picks is crazy when the bidding war and demand for him will be huge. Lets be realistic, folks.
oh, you mean the bidding war for an injured rental between 3-6 teams(max?)

I think you'll get a nice return, but expecting something like Radulov is only going to disappoint you.

Old
02-11-2007, 01:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Zids plus [maybe a 2nd or 3rd pick or Upshall] for Forsberg makes the most sense to me from a value standpoint, given Zid's contract]......but I wouldn't be surprised if it is something less like Klein/Franson/or Parent, Upshall and 1st or 2nd.

I don't see Radulov being involved....UNLESS Forsberg is going to be more than a rental for the Preds AND his surgically deformed foot issue has been resolved moreso than what has been in the press.
Honestly, I can't see it though, because we aren't gonna want to eat Foppa's salary for next year.

Forsberg as a rental makes total sense though on many fronts:
-this year's long cup run, maybe even to the Stanley Cup Finals is critical to season ticket sales next year and long term viability of this franchise.
-Assuring infusion of ticket sales for the rest of the year and sellout of all Playoff games with Forsberg here.
-The Preds renting Forsberg keeps him out of Anaheim, San Jose, and Detroit.

I would bet on this one WILL happen WITHOUT disrupting our young core of Weber/Suter/Hamhuis/Radulov.
I tend to agree. I could see Radulov being involved....ONLY...ONLY if Poile was almost positive Forsberg would re-sign here, and even then I'm not sure, given that Forsberg has had injury problems the past couple of years, most notably this one.

I don't understand how Flyers fans would turn their nose up at getting a top-tier, CHEAP offensive d-man...for the next three years...for 2 months of Forsberg.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:06 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I tend to agree. I could see Radulov being involved....ONLY...ONLY if Poile was almost positive Forsberg would re-sign here, and even then I'm not sure, given that Forsberg has had injury problems the past couple of years, most notably this one.

I don't understand how Flyers fans would turn their nose up at getting a top-tier, CHEAP offensive d-man...for the next three years...for 2 months of Forsberg.

While I highky doubt that Radulov will be coming to Philly, I'd be almost as surprised if Zidlicky is the centerpiece returning as well.

Flyers are more in the market for solid all-aound defenseman, or young big-physical defenseman than someone like Zidlicky.

Regarding Forsberg injury situation:

He had offseason surgery to correct the foot, ankle problems he's had, which have also led to his numerous groin issues. That problem has been corrected, the issue of late is that his footis slightly turned inward, and they've been looking to find a skate/orthodic that would stabilize his foot in the skate.

Over the ourse of the season they'd find temporary fixes, but the problem is that he's so hard on a pair of skates, he needs a new pair every 10 days or so, and they couldn't get each new skate to work correctly.

They seem to have the problem fixed as he's been the dominant Forsberg is 8 of the last 10 games or so.

For those that have Center Ice, two things to look for quickly to see if his foot is feeling well:

If he's physical and looking to hit and/or you see him making the sharp turns in the ice he's known for in either direction.

While I think Nashville certainly has the pieces to get a trade done, and I think he'd make you the favorite to win the Cup, I think he'll end up elsewhere.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:11 PM
JayPSU

Quote:
oh, you mean the bidding war for an injured rental between 3-6 teams(max?)

I think you'll get a nice return, but expecting something like Radulov is only going to disappoint you.
Expecting to get a Peter Forsberg without trading a top prospect and a top pick will disappoint you.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:14 PM
JayPSU

Quote:
I assume you're referring to Zidlicky? The reason would be, he's 30. The Flyers need building blocks, not veterans.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:20 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
I assume you're referring to Zidlicky? The reason would be, he's 30. The Flyers need building blocks, not veterans.
Only on HF is 30 "old." He's got 10 years left in him, especially with his style of game. For 3 years, he's the sort of block you can build around. It'd be a great thing to have Z feeding Carter, Richards and Pitkanen the puck...and if Downie is what i'm to read he is...the type of pest that draws more penalties than he takes...you could have a lot of PP time to reap the benefits. Preds fans(when the power play wasn't so woeful) saw how valuable Tootoo was...and saw the way our PP made teams pay..and at the time, Zidlicky was a big part of that.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:32 PM
runkle

Quote:
Only on HF is 30 "old." He's got 10 years left in him, especially with his style of game. For 3 years, he's the sort of block you can build around. It'd be a great thing to have Z feeding Carter, Richards and Pitkanen the puck...and if Downie is what i'm to read he is...the type of pest that draws more penalties than he takes...you could have a lot of PP time to reap the benefits. Preds fans(when the power play wasn't so woeful) saw how valuable Tootoo was...and saw the way our PP made teams pay..and at the time, Zidlicky was a big part of that.
I don't think Zidlicky would be bad to get as part of a return for Forsberg. The R hand shot alone makes him useful to them since there are so few on the roster.

But I don't think the Flyers are interested because of his contract when you consider they already have 3.5 per tied up in both Hatcher and Zhitnik. Rathje is not an automatic lock to retire the way everyone hoped (even though his coming back is a long shot). Gauthier is @ 2.1 and Joni Pitkanen is getting a new contract. I can't see them having 3 defensemen over 30 on our roster making more than 3 mil per year plus the other guys. If they moved 1 of Hatcher or Zhitnik, even Gauthier I would say Zidlicky would be someone the Flyers would be interested in certainly. But at this point if the Flyers wanted your D men (which you have a lot of - on the team and coming) they are probably going to be demanding someone younger.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
When a team is entering a rebuild, would you choose to build around a one dimensional PP quarterback who is 30 years of age? The answer seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Old
02-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Mythology

The Flyers have plenty of cap space and money to sign 30ish free agents this summer. No reason for them to trade for one. It's obvious they will be looking for some combo of young players, picks, prospects.

Old
02-11-2007, 03:45 PM
tnvol

He will cost more than people think. I hope he does come but it wont be cheap.

Old
02-11-2007, 04:16 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvol View Post
He will cost more than people think. I hope he does come but it wont be cheap.

If a team wants to overpay for him let them do it. he should command a good return but in no way should we be trading a radulov,weber,suter for him. i think the most we should be offering is zids,upshall, 2nd rounder. A first if we are really desperate for him. If another team offers a better package then that then they can have him.

Old
02-11-2007, 04:17 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
30 isn't old, and if he was a different type player, I could see it.

The biggest thing Zidlicky brings is his skill as a PP QB. That isn't a pressing need for the Flyers.

We're looking for defenseman that can match up against the other teams top lines on a regular basis, help protect a lead late in games. That isn't Zidlicky.

Old
02-11-2007, 04:28 PM
tnvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
If a team wants to overpay for him let them do it. he should command a good return but in no way should we be trading a radulov,weber,suter for him. i think the most we should be offering is zids,upshall, 2nd rounder. A first if we are really desperate for him. If another team offers a better package then that then they can have him.

Of course not. I wouldnt trade Radulov or Weber either. I wouldnt trade Zids either but since he is having an off year a lot of people seem to hate him now. I guess we wait and see what it takes if it happens.

Old
02-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Jarnberg

As much as I would like to get Forsberg here, trading Radulov would be stupid. I'd feel much more comfortable trading away a Parent, Klein, Franson. More so because we had a ton of good defensive prospects, meanwhile our offensive prospects are very, very thing.

Old
02-11-2007, 06:53 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
As much as I would like to get Forsberg here, trading Radulov would be stupid. I'd feel much more comfortable trading away a Parent, Klein, Franson. More so because we had a ton of good defensive prospects, meanwhile our offensive prospects are very, very thing.
I think we have the pieces to make this deal happen without letting go of Suter or Radulov. But if it takes Radulov to land Forsberg and Poile is convinced that Forsberg is the missing link, then adios Alexander. The Cup is ALL that matters here. A healthy Forsberg gives us three nasty lines to play with. You could put an ape on the wing of Forsberg and Hartnell and that line would produce.

Closed Thread