HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa (Merged with Poll)

View Poll Results: Are You a Hossa Supporter?
YES -I always Hoped for the best with him 108 55.10%
YES -I was not a supporter of him at the start of this season but i'm liking him now! 63 32.14%
NO - I wasn't a supporter of him and despite him playing better he shouldnt be on the Team 11 5.61%
NO - I wasnt a supporter of him from the start, still not. 14 7.14%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-11-2007, 10:55 AM
JerseyRangers

vCash: 500
Even when he wasn't scoring this season (and who on the 3rd or 4th line has been?) Marcel's backchecking, defensive game, and ability to move the puck on the boards has made him a valuable part of this team. One of the few guys who came back last season after the Olympics and played better than before.

I've advocated countless times to get Hossa on a line with Jagr. Makes too much sense. Really hard for a team to cover two big bodies like Jagr and Hossa in the defensive zone especially when they have 1 1/2 guys on Jagr most of the time. Add to that his skating ability, his work in the corners and along the boards and his ability going to the net and you've got a solid linemate for Jagr. That line of Jagr Straka and Hossa is going to get points and on top of that its going to finally allow the Rangers to address the 2nd line center problem.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 10:58 AM
NYROrtsFan

It's going to be real interesting here if Renney leaves these lines alone and lets things go as they are, to see how much Marcel can do and what his upside is. Some guys in sports just "get it" later than others and Marcel may prove to be in that boat. Just seems like he's imposing his will now on the game.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:24 AM
sickboy35

i'm liking what i'm seeing but as harvey kietel said in "pulp fiction," " lets not start !@#$%^& eachother's *^#$'s just yet?" lets give him more time with that unit then make that desision ok?

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:33 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha25Graves988 View Post
Yes I understand but i think Hossa has alot more of an upside than Ward does.

What is Hossa game, the kid is neither gonna be a good first or second liner player if not he is useless, didnt like him then and still dont now. my opinion wont change, until I see constant steadiness from him, he is to unrreliable and inconsistant. But renney and Staher are so high on him its ridiculous.

Sather likes grabbing 1st round busts and hoping they become super stars and so far he is way the **** off.

im not putting him down but he was a first rounder and he is no more than a 3rd / 4th liner, so I dont see why Sather and Renney love him so, as for everyone else on this board,well they will knock him on the reg, but he has a couple good games and now everyone loves him and im hearing ******** from every dope on here, that ll the sudden" lets lo\ve Hossa for who he is". i been on these boards for 3-4 yeas already and the same people are here and there opinions never change and neither does the retardedness.

When people are playing bad every one knocks them, when there playing great every one loves them.

once Hossa starts suckigng again I expect to see a " LETS TRADE HOSSA THREAD", its common on these boards, its almost a joke, which Is why i post like one or 2 things eevery so often, i cant even really take the board seriously, expect for maybe a couple guys like Fletch and mellrpose who seem to always have there heads straight. As for everyone else,well I dont now, I guess, the bset thing to say is your all really good people and Im lad to be a member here on HF.
You must be kidding right? Hossa has been great all year playing a strong game, he earned the right to play on the top 2 lines. Maybe, just maybe he wasnt producing because he has been playing with players all year that have no offensive ability. Hossa has shown he can create great offense with his size and now when moved up on a line with someone who can get him the puck he is letting go that great wrist shot that nobody knew he had because he would never shoot the puck or get the puck enough to shoot. He is creating space for Jagr and doing the dirty work for Jags and Straka by going in the corner and digging out the puck, winning the battle everytime it seems just like he's done all year with the bottom two lines.

You say he's nothing more than a 3rd/4th liner? Again is that a joke? Because he sure isnt playing like one and he hasnt all year. It take 2/3 of the season for Renney to finally give him a shot with some real scorers and he is making things happen and appearing on the score sheet. The goals he has been scoring have been good goals that he had to make happen. Dont make it seem like Jagr is going in on 2 on none's faking out the goalie and putting it on Hossa's tape for him to just tap in like Jags did with Hollweg. Last night in Washington, he was screening the goaltender, standing in front of the net something the rangers havent done much of this year, got the rebound and put it away. Friday night he skated into the Tampa zone, using the defensemen as a screen and let that wrist shot go from between the circles and scored.

He's always had a great defensive game and this year he has been great on the PK. He backchecks extremely well and in the offensive zone he is using his size to his advantage winning the puck. Give the guy some credit and stop being ignorant. Yes last year he was not playing well because he wasnt moving his legs, he'd always be so slow and behind the play. But this year he is hustling and skating hard EVERY shift. He has even thrown some big hits and has always made attempts to finish his checks. He earned the spot he has now and is coming alive.

I seriously dont know how you can call him a bust

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:33 AM
WheresBarnaby

I've been a supporter for a long time good to see he's finally breaking out.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:44 AM
lotus

Man who ever thought they'd see a thread about Hossa that isn't about selling him on the front page here....that's like...well....when a fat guy scores a touch down i guess

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:46 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
You must be kidding right? Hossa has been great all year playing a strong game, he earned the right to play on the top 2 lines. Maybe, just maybe he wasnt producing because he has been playing with players all year that have no offensive ability. Hossa has shown he can create great offense with his size and now when moved up on a line with someone who can get him the puck he is letting go that great wrist shot that nobody knew he had because he would never shoot the puck or get the puck enough to shoot. He is creating space for Jagr and doing the dirty work for Jags and Straka by going in the corner and digging out the puck, winning the battle everytime it seems just like he's done all year with the bottom two lines.

You say he's nothing more than a 3rd/4th liner? Again is that a joke? Because he sure isnt playing like one and he hasnt all year. It take 2/3 of the season for Renney to finally give him a shot with some real scorers and he is making things happen and appearing on the score sheet. The goals he has been scoring have been good goals that he had to make happen. Dont make it seem like Jagr is going in on 2 on none's faking out the goalie and putting it on Hossa's tape for him to just tap in like Jags did with Hollweg. Last night in Washington, he was screening the goaltender, standing in front of the net something the rangers havent done much of this year, got the rebound and put it away. Friday night he skated into the Tampa zone, using the defensemen as a screen and let that wrist shot go from between the circles and scored.

He's always had a great defensive game and this year he has been great on the PK. He backchecks extremely well and in the offensive zone he is using his size to his advantage winning the puck. Give the guy some credit and stop being ignorant. Yes last year he was not playing well because he wasnt moving his legs, he'd always be so slow and behind the play. But this year he is hustling and skating hard EVERY shift. He has even thrown some big hits and has always made attempts to finish his checks. He earned the spot he has now and is coming alive.

I seriously dont know how you can call him a bust

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Its a PP Goal

I want him to succeed but I don't think he will. History shows he won't keep this up. The trade deadline lit a fire up his arse along with the rest of the team and he will likely revert back to the old Hossa when the deadline passes or when Renney takes him off Jagr's line. When he doesn't score he doesn't bring enough to the table imo. I give him credit for playing defense and playing strong along the boards but any 4th line player can do that.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

I fought with all of u over two players this summer...Hossa and Rozisvial..

It's nice to be RIGHT about both...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:01 PM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I fought with all of u over two players this summer...Hossa and Rozisvial..
Haha i seem to remember somebody defending Rozie, I've always liked Hossa. Rozsival i stopped bashing a while ago. Now......im slowing down on Malik. I'll keep my mouth shut on him for a while.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Haha i seem to remember somebody defending Rozie, I've always liked Hossa. Rozsival i stopped bashing a while ago. Now......im slowing down on Malik. I'll keep my mouth shut on him for a while.
In Hossa case i'm shocked that he is playing this well..

In Rozsival case it was a joke the hatred for the guy....I can remember a guy telling me i didn't know anything about Rozsvial or defenseman...he knew more because he played defense in HIGH SCHOOL...IN HIGH SCHOOL...

Awesome...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:10 PM
DarthSather99

I always supported Hossa. You could see he had the talent, he's our best forward down low digging the puck out. That is a lost art on some players, keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Thank GOD the coaching staff keeps proving that they know more than most of us fans. We make too many judgements on emotions.

His good defense and hard work down low got him his ice time, now he's showing some of his offensive talents.

Congrats to him for improving his game.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:26 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Okay, I've been out of town (and missed his goals!) , but I've devoted more time on these boards to defending Hossa than any other subject.

I am thrilled to see this development - always knew he had it in him and pointed out as other aspects of his game picked up and you could see him developing more confidence. You knew that the offense was going to come eventually. I don't know that he'll ever be a 35 goal scorer, but he might - and either way, he certainly doesn't seem to be out of place among the top 6 (even when Renney had him on the second line with Shanny over the previous couple of weeks).

A month or so into the season, I said that starting with the last 20 games of last year and the playoffs, he was stepping up to be one of our best players. But he needed to add offense this season. Began to see more out of him in the offensive end - starting with hitting, then puck possession, then cycling, then that move around the net, finally passing and now scoring. While this has been going on he has been promoted line-by-line and now it's starting to pay of with numbers. Can't wait to see how he does with PP time - he could be a monster in front of the net.

I don't claim to have the accumen of other posters on the board like Fly, Edge, TB, Fletch, etc., but I want credit for being the first and most vociferous on this one, dammit!

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Larry Melnyk

I HATED Hossa and screamed agasint his trade..His play for most of last year was why...But, by the end of the year he was one of our best and hardest working forwards...ANd he found a niche as a 3rd/4th line forward...Th evidence was hard to ignore and I had no problem wth him as a 3rd/4th line forward...

But, he looks like he has taken his game up another level..I don't know if it's a permanent thing or if he truly can be a 2nd liner, but his play has been really strong...

And it has alot of implications.

His value has to be high, so maybe the Rangers can use him in a trade for young forward...

or...more likely

If Hossa truly has taken the next step (or the Rangers think he has), with the aqusition of Avery (and straka and Nylander at C), the Rangers will not look for that 2nd C and should concnetrate on our other huge need---a strong, steady, physical D-man...

We'll see...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:47 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
He IS a young player. He's 25!

What is the rush to trade him anyway? Name one forward in Hartford that will easily beat out Hossa for a spot next season? No other young player we have in Hartford has the combination of size and talent Hossa does - not to mention how far he has come in other aspects of the game.

I posted about a week ago how I'd be shocked if Hossa wasn't back next season -- well if he keeps up a 1g every few games pace (or even assists) there is 0% chance he isn't on the team next season.

We'll see lots of crying then won't we

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
He IS a young player. He's 25!

What is the rush to trade him anyway? Name one forward in Hartford that will easily beat out Hossa for a spot next season? No other young player we have in Hartford has the combination of size and talent Hossa does - not to mention how far he has come in other aspects of the game.

I posted about a week ago how I'd be shocked if Hossa wasn't back next season -- well if he keeps up a 1g every few games pace (or even assists) there is 0% chance he isn't on the team next season.

We'll see lots of crying then won't we
Not sure if that was directed to me, but I am one of the few on here that hasn't wanted the Hartford forwards called up becasue they could use more dvelopment and they couldn't provide more then what is currnetly here...The way Hossa is playing now, that doesn't change next season either nor should it, but that's a thing determined by his play the rest of the year and how everybody plays in camp...

My mentioning for a trade ws only becasue it's not a dead givcen that his play will continue and if yu can use him to get a guy like Horton, who's supposeldey on the block, then maybe you do it...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:57 PM
nyr7andcounting

Never wanted him off the team because even when he was contributing on offense, he wasn't screwing things up either. At worst, he's a 4th liner with good size, speed, and he's not bad defensively.

If he can keep the offense up than he can be a 2nd liner

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:02 PM
IanB

Last year, I dont think anyone could say that they supported Hossa. I know I didnt. He was the most invisible player on the ice for us last year, showing no effort what so ever until the playoffs. Thats why I find it hard to believe everyone is telling the truth in this poll when they say they always supported him, but thats another issue.

Early in the year I pointed out Hossa was starting to improve his game. He was handling the puck for longer periods of time, and seemed to read the play in the defensive zone better than before. Noone else agreed with me... I kept my mouth shut about it after that.

Everyone hated Renney for benching Prucha while Hossa's spot on the team was so secure (He took the spot most of us wanted Dawes to have after training camp). I think now we can all see that Hossa, right now, brings more to the table than Prucha and Dawes,and its not as though he is a veteran taking away a kid's ice time. Hossa is one year older than Prucha.

For a couple months now, Hossa has been excellent defensively - he backchecks and is always in good position away from the puck. He is incredibly strong with the puck, especially in the corners, and his work ethic has vastly improved. Thats his game - he isn't Marian, but he still has great potential of his own.

Now, Hossa is being rewarded for his consistency by being put on the top line with Straka and Jagr and immediately produces. If you pay close attention, you'll see that he and Jagr are constantly talking to one another, and you can see the influence Jagr is having. Hossa and Jagr both have great size and strength, good hands and quick release - Hossa is now starting to show it.

I believe he is confident on the ice now. I believe he has acclimated to the pro game. He is confident in his ability to read the play at the NHL pace, and he is confident in his decision making. Thats carried over to his offensive game - making plays with the puck with much more conviction than in years past, whether he's plowing his way torwards the net, or beating three capitals with a pass to set up Jagr in the slot.

Obviously the Capital's defense isn't top notch, but if he can prey off them to further build his confidence, it will help him continue to progress. We'll have to see how he fares against better defenses in the next couple of games, and if he keeps improving, we'll have to see how he reacts to having high expectations thrust upon him again. This is important for him and the Rangers - he could be our X-Factor down the stretch with Prucha's name coming up in trade talks, and the team looking for secondary scoring.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Forever Blue

It's been very frustrating watching Hossa, especially when Renney shoved him down our throats when he didn't deserve to be playing. But the past few weeks/months, his play improved, now he is playing on a line with one of the very best, and the results have been good. It looks like Renney's patience with him might be paying off.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:24 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Not sure if that was directed to me, but I am one of the few on here that hasn't wanted the Hartford forwards called up becasue they could use more dvelopment and they couldn't provide more then what is currnetly here...The way Hossa is playing now, that doesn't change next season either nor should it, but that's a thing determined by his play the rest of the year and how everybody plays in camp...

My mentioning for a trade ws only becasue it's not a dead givcen that his play will continue and if yu can use him to get a guy like Horton, who's supposeldey on the block, then maybe you do it...
No not directed at you, but there has been a lot of discussion about Hossa being waived/moved to bring up a player from Hartford.

And it's not a given, but when Shanny or Jagr take a 10 game goal scoring hiatus we don't hear anything because of their established ability. Hossa is attempting to establish himself as a very effective player for the Rangers.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I've liked Hossa the whole time, even when 85 % of this board hated him. Its good to see hes finally coming around, hopefully it keeps up and he gets better.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:02 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
T.B.: Where have you been? Not posting a whole lot lately. Either have I. Working my tail off. In fact, I've missed a few games at home.Good to see Hossa scoring some goals and the lines changed. I like Prucha on the PP with Jagr. Perhaps there is still hope though I'm concerned about fatigue for our stars. Renney must roll four lines from now on
I've had a lot less available time for much of the same reasons. My ability to post has been cut down to weekends and an odd week-night here and there. Sometimes I've been able to read at night, but did not have the time to post as there were lots of reading to catch up on.

It is good to see Hossa doing well, but as I've said, so far this has not been a new act. He has his goals in the last several games (in another thread, I even predicted that he would score last night). Now, if everything holds true, he will still have a good game on Thursday, but not get himself on the scoresheet. The next handfull of games following that, he will still play well, but slowly decreasing in his on-ice contributions. Then comes the inevitable 6 week disappearing act. Off course I hope that it is something different, but until there is any evidence of that changing, I will not hold my breath. These type of threads crop up every couple of months when Hossa has his bi-monthly hot flash. In another month or so, the ususal "I have supported him, but it is time to cut ties" threads will begin to appear.

Not to hijack this thread, but I also agree on the rolling of the lines and like you, have always advocated it. Renney tends to forget about the good uses of it after a few games.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:04 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickice View Post
Maybe if Marcel Hossa changed his surname, people would take him for what he is.
No offense, but that is a rather tiresome defense of him. Most of his doubters could care less what his last name is.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:05 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Thanks FLY for applauding my posts and giving me some recognition.

Its just I'm sick and tired of the fans that don't know the game and just love to rip players apart and never really give them a chance. Hossa as was pointed out is only 25! This WHOLE season he has worked so hard, he simply deserves to be where he is right now. Maybe he does have a little bit of his brother's skills him but we wont know that for sure unless we stick with these lines see if he can make the offense continue. I think he will be consistent because all year he has been a solid player and in reality the only thing that has been keeping him from getting going, the one missing element was a true scoring foward to play with and now he has two in straka and jags.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:19 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Its just I'm sick and tired of the fans that don't know the game and just love to rip players apart and never really give them a chance. Hossa as was pointed out is only 25! This WHOLE season he has worked so hard, he simply deserves to be where he is right now.
How does he deserve it and Prucha does not? Not being given a chance? Have you watched him play on the 2nd line for 3 moths last year?