HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A chance for optimism?

Old
02-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Sachiko

vCash: 500
A chance for optimism?

Well, I've been as critical as the Oilers more so than most this season, and I still do believe that the playoffs are a longshot for this current crop of Oilers... however, looking at the standings coupled with some likely results in tonights NHL schedule can put this team right back in the thick of things... all they need to do is keep winning, and they could realistically, or unrealistically end up as high as 6th, or if the stars align right, even 3rd in the conference. Who knows, Calgary is still catchable at this point as well.

Looking at the standings:

Calgary - 65 pts
Dallas - 66 pts
Vancouver - 64 pts
Minnesota - 64 pts

Edmonton - 58 points

We have a game in hand over Minnesota, but Calgary and Dallas both have a game in hand over us.

So hypothetically speaking... or typing.

Calgary is in Buffalo tonight, Dallas is against Anaheim... let's say for the fun of it both of these clubs lose their games which is entirely likely.

Minnesota is in Carolina... or are they hosting, and Vancouver is playing Atlanta... two scenarios which could likely favour us if they pan out just right.

That all happens tonight suddenly the Oilers have a game in hand on Vancouver, and 2 games in hand on Minnesota.

That would get us within 4 points of Vancouver and 2 within Minnesota... considering the games in hand as victories of course. Dallas and Calgary would still be barely within reach as well, if this team can get hot and go on a little 6 or 7 game tear here.

Certainly it's far fetched that it all pans out like this, but I think some people have overlooked Dallas as a catchable team. They're very catchable, as long as this team keeps winning. Believe it or not the division crown is still not an unfathomable reality, it's not likely though unless Minnesota and either Calgary or Vancouver falter here for a little bit.

Just a little hint of optimism I guess... but hey, what do I know.. I'm not on the Oilers bandwagon.

Imagine we had beaten those horribly overrated Vancouver Canucks in each of our last 2 meetings? We'd be the ones sitting nice and pretty. 6-4 in our last 10... we need to be better than that.

Last edited by Sachiko: 02-10-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Sachiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
dhasek3910

Minnesota is hosting Carolina, and boasts a stellar home record....I'd side with Minnesota tonight

dhasek3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Sachiko

Hey, this is an optimistic thread... your pessimism is not needed.

Damn, I was hoping the game was at the RBC.

Old
02-10-2007, 04:22 PM
dhasek3910

Sorry, I'm not on the Oilers bandwagon either

dhasek3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Walsher

On top of all of this evidence for optimism - the Oilers are heading on the road where last year they were one of the best road teams in the entire NHL!

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Sachiko

And other chance for optimism... now is the time when the Oilers usually go on their longest winning streak of the season, or at least history indicates.

Old
02-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasek3910 View Post
Minnesota is hosting Carolina, and boasts a stellar home record....I'd side with Minnesota tonight
Keep in mind Carolina is in the thick of the playoff race in the East, they're 3 points from 9th (and having played 2 more games), but also just 6 back of Atlanta for the division lead, and 2 back of Pitts to climb from 7th to 4th.

Buffalo and New Jersey should be easy divisional winners, but the rest of the East is still up for grabs. There's at least 3 teams on the outside looking in that have realistic shots at the playoffs. Washington, Boston and Florida may all be to far out to make a comeback, but a streak for any of them and they're back in the hunt too. However, I wouldn't be suprised to see all 3 of those teams being sellers soon, meaning some teams may get big boosts as well from their castoffs.

Um... so, to sum up my point, Carolina needs the win and will be pressing hard to do so. And they won the cup last year, so we all know they have the capability of picking up their game.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiko View Post
And other chance for optimism... now is the time when the Oilers usually go on their longest winning streak of the season, or at least history indicates.
Additionally, they usually add 2 offensive defensemen, 1 skill forward, and a starting goaltender through trade (wait that was only last year) ah who cares - its happening again. Right?

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Never fails. Season in, season out.

The big 10 gamer was right around this time too IIRC.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Q038

hmm, optimism

Sorry, the best i can do atm is;

At least the Oilers will get a much needed extended rest this summer.. They were looking pretty worn out the start of this season....

If they win the next 9 of 11, maybe i can do better

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Cerebral

I've been optimistic all week, I still really like Edmonton's chances of making the playoffs. I doubt Minnesota loses at home to Carolina (you never know though!) but we're still easily within striking distance and those head-to-head matchups will be huge. I'm still not sold completely on Vancouver either, I wouldn't be shocked if they lost a few in a row and slid down the standings just like last year.

02-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Hate to burst anyones bubble, but DAL won 1-0 over ANA today.

But i mean... everything else could still go out way

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Sachiko

OMG.. Dallas wins, Minnesota is ahead 4-2, Calgary had a 1-0 lead over Buffalo but that game is now tied.

I think this thread is bad karma.

Old
02-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Oilerdiehard

Minnesota just keeps winning, they are more consistent than we are, unless that changes our chances are not looking great. They are ahead by 1 in the third.

If Minnie holds on to win, we go into the next game down by 8 points. I think we need to take 4 out of 5 from Minnie at least to make it. Besides not losing much otherwise.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:14 PM
AM

Win and

were in.

Lose and were out.

It was the same at the beginning of the season.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
were in.

Lose and were out.

It was the same at the beginning of the season.
It was lose a few and you are out at the beginning of the year? I guess we have been out of it for ages then.

Minnie holds on to win yet again.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:35 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 131
time to close up shop for the rest of the year

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Sachiko

Yeah... tonight was bad. We must win tomorrow.

Old
02-11-2007, 12:55 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 131
Dallas 68
Flames/Minny/Nucks 66

oilers 58

8 points

for the oilers wo make the playoffs they would have to play at a .750 clip and hope that either flames beat the crap out of wild or vice versa

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:45 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Imagine we had beaten those horribly overrated Vancouver Canucks in each of our last 2 meetings? We'd be the ones sitting nice and pretty. 6-4 in our last 10... we need to be better than that.
You can't really call the Canucks over rated simply because no one expected them to be in this situation. If anything their over acheivers.

I dont expect much out of this Vancouver team to be honest but if we can add some scoring and some defensive depth at the deadline then perhaps we could win a round or two if Louie gets on a roll.

If Vancouver makes the playoffs I dont really see them finishing any higher then 7th and most likely will end up 8th.

Thats a first round matchup vs either Nashville, Anaheim, Detroit or San Jose.

All four of those teams will be a tough matchup especially if Detroit adds some scoring as well at the deadline.

The playoffs are far from a given for Vancouver right now however one thing pretty cool about this team is that they haven't lost more then 3 games in a row this season and you figure they'll most likely end up with a 94-96 points.

Edmonton totally has a chance to make the playoffs but they'll need to have a great road trip to do so but sometimes going on the road brings a team together and you just never know.

It's far from being over but at this point i think you have to say that Edmonton is more over rated then Vancouver but its a 82 game season and if Edmonton can live up to what expectations were for them then perhaps they can squeeze into the playoffs.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 10:17 AM
OntOilFan

The Oilers can't beat teams ahead of them. Their only wins lately have been against Columbus, LA, Chicago and Colorado.

Any divisional game that's not against Colorado is an automatic loss.

There are absolutely not reasons to believe this team will win 19 of its next 27 games. Zero.

We have to turn our season around and become one of the best teams in the NHL from now until April and Calgary/Vancouver/Minnesota will have to completely implode for us to make it.

No chance.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
The Oilers can't beat teams ahead of them. Their only wins lately have been against Columbus, LA, Chicago and Colorado.

Any divisional game that's not against Colorado is an automatic loss.

There are absolutely not reasons to believe this team will win 19 of its next 27 games. Zero.

We have to turn our season around and become one of the best teams in the NHL from now until April and Calgary/Vancouver/Minnesota will have to completely implode for us to make it.

No chance.
See this is what i hate about how some hockey fans can be.

NOBODY GAVE YOU GUYS A CHANCE LAST YEAR VS DETROIT IN THE PLAYOFFS....NOBODY GAVE YOU A CHANCE VS SAN JOSE IN THE PLAYOFFS....NOBODY GAVE YOU A CHANCE TO MAKE THE FINALS....NOBODY GAVE YOU A CHANCE TO WIN THE CUP AFTER ROLOSON WENT DOWN.....NOBODY GAVE YOU A CHANCE TO COME BACK FROM 3-1 DOWN IN THE FINALS TO FORCE A GAME 7....AND YET YOU GUYS DID ALL THAT AND CAME TO WITHIN ONE GAME OF WINNING THE CUP.

With all due respect to you this is how typical band wagon jumpers are and we've got plenty of them on the Canucks board ourselves.

Edmonton goes on a winning streak here then this guy will be the first guy to jump back on the bandwagon and start planning the parade route.

The same stuff happens over there on the Canucks board.

Just read some of the posts before xmas and you'll realise that there are a lot of games still to go and Edmonton really isn't that far behind.

You've got 5 games to go vs Minnesota and Vancouver really has been 0.500 except for the fact we have a great stretch of 12 games or so.

Personally as a Canucks fan I'd be happy to see the Canucks end up with 96 points but even that is going to be hard because we need to go 15-11 down the stretch and thats not a given.

It's going to be tough for the Oilers but 27 games is a lot of hockey so relax and at least give yourself a chance because not a lot of other people will.

If Edmonton wins today then they are back within 6 points of Minnesota with a game in hand.

No doubt Edmonton needs to win but the way this Oilers team has been over the years you just know that they've got at least one big run left in them and hopefully for myself Vancouver can keep pace and Minnesota gets knocked out.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Sethis

Speaking of optimisim... anyone know when Shaggy gets back?

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote