HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XIX: The Olympic Freeze

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2014, 11:50 PM
  #876
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I'd give Boyle anywhere from 2 to 2.5 mill per. 3 is a bit of a reach.

Something like 3/7.5
At first I expected 2.2/3yrs.

After looking at more comparable players i'm expecting 2.5/4yrs and i'm actually totally fine with that too.

10 mill for 4 years.

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 12:03 AM
  #877
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Miller Time NYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 500
If paying a guy like Boyle or Moore and extra 500k or so is the difference between keeping our bottom 6 in tact as opposed to keeping the trend of bottom 6 turnover going like we have for years count me in. The money will be there if we don't go blow it all on everyone's pipe dream Stastny.

Miller Time NYR is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 12:20 AM
  #878
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,717
vCash: 500
There will be changes next year, there always are. Only one of Boyle or D. Moore needs to be back. Carcillo and Pouliot, if they both continue, they deserve to come back for modest raises. I'd try and trade Dorsett at the deadline. Similar to Niemanen in 2006.

Miller, Fast, and Lindberg will all be pushing for spots. Duclair is a wildcard although most likely not.


Let's sat for argument sake that Richards, Callahan, and one of Boyle or D. Moore are not retained. That's three spots. One would go to UFA, two to rookies to start the year. Carcillo can always be an extra.

Would overpaying Dan Boyle for two years make sense?

I'd say Moulson but his skating does not fit AV's system.

Rather than go for the big names, make a trade...look for value, and if the Rangers have to take back a bad contract like Havlat for a year, not the worst thing in the world.

The scoring isn't consistent at all this year, so if the top six are the Stepan and Brassard line, and Hagelin is playing with Miller and Fast, not the end of the world.

If that's the case, maybe the best bet is to go after Dan Boyle in the offseason and overpay him for two years.

White Plains Batman is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 12:40 AM
  #879
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
There will be changes next year, there always are. Only one of Boyle or D. Moore needs to be back. Carcillo and Pouliot, if they both continue, they deserve to come back for modest raises. I'd try and trade Dorsett at the deadline. Similar to Niemanen in 2006.

Miller, Fast, and Lindberg will all be pushing for spots. Duclair is a wildcard although most likely not.


Let's sat for argument sake that Richards, Callahan, and one of Boyle or D. Moore are not retained. That's three spots. One would go to UFA, two to rookies to start the year. Carcillo can always be an extra.

Would overpaying Dan Boyle for two years make sense?

I'd say Moulson but his skating does not fit AV's system.

Rather than go for the big names, make a trade...look for value, and if the Rangers have to take back a bad contract like Havlat for a year, not the worst thing in the world.

The scoring isn't consistent at all this year, so if the top six are the Stepan and Brassard line, and Hagelin is playing with Miller and Fast, not the end of the world.

If that's the case, maybe the best bet is to go after Dan Boyle in the offseason and overpay him for two years.
Dan Boyle is a ****ing defenseman.... why on earth would anyone with our D corps (assuming they are re-signed) sign someone who is at the tail end of their career?

And again, you cannot afford to PENCIL a rookie into a roster spot. it doesn't work. Did ANYONE watch what happened with Kreider last year?

azaloum90 is online now  
Old
02-19-2014, 12:54 AM
  #880
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Dan Boyle is a ****ing defenseman.... why on earth would anyone with our D corps (assuming they are re-signed) sign someone who is at the tail end of their career?

And again, you cannot afford to PENCIL a rookie into a roster spot. it doesn't work. Did ANYONE watch what happened with Kreider last year?
I'm throwing out ideas. And until Girardi and Stralman are signed, sealed, and delivered, the D corp is not going to be 100% the same.

Also, if Richards is gone, somebody gotta be on the PP.

I'd rather overpay someone for two years then give Stasny the same silly contract as Richards for seven or eight years, or pay Ott like $5 million with a five year deal.

White Plains Batman is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 02:11 AM
  #881
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius
 
Glen Sathers Cigar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
yea let's resign him so Lindberg can spend another year in the AHL Lindberg should be called up just in case Boyle walks. remember as a first time UFA, he might take advantage of that. players like him dont play long.. how many 4th line forwards that play past the age of 33 (likely a 5 year deal as an UFA)... not many...
Why should we throw Lindberg in? Just because? All reports say he's developing well, but isn't ready for the NHL. Why get rid of roster players because we have prospects building up? Who's to say Lindberg won't be a worse player for the first few years of his career than Boyle is at the same time?

I know everyone here is obsessed with prospects but the goal is to build a winning team. Not every prospect we have is going to make it (not saying Lindberg won't). Actually a large majority of prospects don't become NHL regulars. Why not re-sign Boyle and make the prospects such as Lindberg, force our GM's hand and play their way onto the team? Then you have a signed roster player who will definitely be worth assets in a trade when he's under contract.

I'm also of the belief that players such as Boyle are more important than most on here think. Glue guys, veterans who are great in the room and do anything to win. Sorry, but I think the only reason to get rid of Boyle (let him walk) is if he prices himself out. Otherwise re-sign him 2.3x3 or 2.1x4.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 02:15 AM
  #882
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I'm throwing out ideas. And until Girardi and Stralman are signed, sealed, and delivered, the D corp is not going to be 100% the same.

Also, if Richards is gone, somebody gotta be on the PP.

I'd rather overpay someone for two years then give Stasny the same silly contract as Richards for seven or eight years, or pay Ott like $5 million with a five year deal.
so you're comparing overpaying an old, aging defenseman to a usable, 28 year old 1st line centerman? And you want to overpay the aging defenseman?

You don't overpay an aging UFA who wants to make his last and final pay day to simply "run the powerplay"... you sign a centerman who can do BOTH... which Stastny can do (and I don't even want Stastny, I think Richards is staying personally).

azaloum90 is online now  
Old
02-19-2014, 02:25 AM
  #883
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'm sure Boyle would like a 5 year deal. But why would a team give it to him?
Use my formula. Get a grip of what everyone think he will get. Then add a year and a bunch of millions to it. 5 years and 17.5m for Boyle?

Seriously though, I have no clue what Boyle will get but all it takes is ONE team that is small, can get nobody else, and that sees him as a 3rd line center and his price tag is all of a sudden very high for anyone that view him as a 4th lineer.

I couldn't agree more about the value if keeping out bottom 2 lines intact for once. But. What is worth more keeping Boyle at 2m more than the option or adding that 2m to a top 2 line winger? It just seems like those 2m up front in the lineup could make a heck of a diffeence. Could be the difference between resigning a kid for 1-2 years and 4-5 years.

Ola is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 05:39 AM
  #884
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Its much better to have Lindberg develop on our 4th line when we hope he tops out as a top 6 player and bottoms out as a top 9 forward....than to have Boyle who actually fits the role of a 4th liner and reduced minutes even strength. Quality development there. Reminds me of how we attempted to develop Maholtra and Lundmark.

Boyle should be re-signed and the logic around the distaste for him is asinine.
Not saying that it couldn't backfire, but Marcus Krüger has been developing fine on Chicago's 4th line.

And Krüger was a small, smart, playmaking 1C in Sweden - i.e. a much "worse" fit for a 4th liner than Lindberg.

Blue Blooded is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 07:18 AM
  #885
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,891
vCash: 500
The Hawks have Shaw and Kruger as their 3rd and 4th line centers. Kelly is the Bruins 3rd line center. Campbell is their 4th line center.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 07:19 AM
  #886
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
Why should we throw Lindberg in? Just because? All reports say he's developing well, but isn't ready for the NHL. Why get rid of roster players because we have prospects building up? Who's to say Lindberg won't be a worse player for the first few years of his career than Boyle is at the same time?

I know everyone here is obsessed with prospects but the goal is to build a winning team. Not every prospect we have is going to make it (not saying Lindberg won't). Actually a large majority of prospects don't become NHL regulars. Why not re-sign Boyle and make the prospects such as Lindberg, force our GM's hand and play their way onto the team? Then you have a signed roster player who will definitely be worth assets in a trade when he's under contract.

I'm also of the belief that players such as Boyle are more important than most on here think. Glue guys, veterans who are great in the room and do anything to win. Sorry, but I think the only reason to get rid of Boyle (let him walk) is if he prices himself out. Otherwise re-sign him 2.3x3 or 2.1x4.
Teams will be lining up to take a 4th line center signed to that contract off of Sather's hands or whoever is running the Rangers next season.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 08:10 AM
  #887
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Teams will be lining up to take a 4th line center signed to that contract off of Sather's hands or whoever is running the Rangers next season.
Interesting comment, RB... What causes you to raise this idea? Just you speculating given his age or are there rumblings somewhere?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 09:12 AM
  #888
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Not saying that it couldn't backfire, but Marcus Krüger has been developing fine on Chicago's 4th line.

And Krüger was a small, smart, playmaking 1C in Sweden - i.e. a much "worse" fit for a 4th liner than Lindberg.

and they also have a kid by the name of Joakim Nordstrom in the future as well. Hawks have good depth...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 09:16 AM
  #889
Off Sides
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 446
If it comes down to a cap crunch and the choices are keep Boyle over any of Stralman, Brassard, Zucc, maybe even Pouliot, I'm voting the later players get the contracts. I'd rather they signed D Moore short term and probably cheaper than Boyle.

Keep the top 9F thing going, Keep the top 6 D as strong as possible, worry about the 4th line later.

Off Sides is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 09:35 AM
  #890
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
If it comes down to a cap crunch and the choices are keep Boyle over any of Stralman, Brassard, Zucc, maybe even Pouliot, I'm voting the later players get the contracts. I'd rather they signed D Moore short term and probably cheaper than Boyle.

Keep the top 9F thing going, Keep the top 6 D as strong as possible, worry about the 4th line later.
The way I look at it you shouldn't pay a 4th liner 2 million and that is what Boyle will get as a UFA.

There will be changes but on paper if they do what I think they are going to do
C- Stepan, Brassard,Miller, resign Moore
RW- Nash, Zuccarello, trade for Cally, Dorsett, resign Carcillo
LW- Kreider, Hagelin, Fast, re sign Pouliott

If they want Moore, Pouliott, Carcillo back I believe they would all sign

The question is do they sign Stastny and if they strike out well then Miller is 3rd line C

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 09:37 AM
  #891
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
If it comes down to a cap crunch and the choices are keep Boyle over any of Stralman, Brassard, Zucc, maybe even Pouliot, I'm voting the later players get the contracts. I'd rather they signed D Moore short term and probably cheaper than Boyle.

Keep the top 9F thing going, Keep the top 6 D as strong as possible, worry about the 4th line later.
I wouldn't overpay Stralman. But I agree if it comes down to a cap crunch, I would choose Brass and Zucc over Boyle. What do you think Pouliot will want?

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 10:04 AM
  #892
Off Sides
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
The way I look at it you shouldn't pay a 4th liner 2 million and that is what Boyle will get as a UFA.

There will be changes but on paper if they do what I think they are going to do
C- Stepan, Brassard,Miller, resign Moore
RW- Nash, Zuccarello, trade for Cally, Dorsett, resign Carcillo
LW- Kreider, Hagelin, Fast, re sign Pouliott

If they want Moore, Pouliott, Carcillo back I believe they would all sign

The question is do they sign Stastny and if they strike out well then Miller is 3rd line C
Stastny I think he stays with Colorado but if he makes it to UFA I'd guess ~7.5M for like 6-7 years. That is a good chunk of money. But if he were willing to sign with the the Rangers, it were buyout Richards and sign him, I think that would have to be considered.

I also think that becomes a non option because I think they resign both Girardi and Callahan, just a guess really but I do not think they will be able to get what they'd want on the trade market.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
I wouldn't overpay Stralman. But I agree if it comes down to a cap crunch, I would choose Brass and Zucc over Boyle. What do you think Pouliot will want?
I would not overpay Stralman, but he is far more important to the teams win/loss record than Boyle is. Anything resembling a top 4 RD is important. The idea that McIlrath is going to come up is great and all but too optimistic for me.

Pouliot, I have no idea, I think it will come down to how he plays out the rest of the year and if other teams become interested, and if he wants to stay a Ranger. It's a gamble, did he really find a home finally here, is he the first part of the season player or the one we have seen recently. Would he be willing to sign for less to get a multi year deal, is that a good idea, I am not sure on any of those answers.

Off Sides is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 10:25 AM
  #893
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,529
vCash: 500
$7.5 million for Stastny? Were gona take the hard, correct, stance with callahan and then blow our load and overpay for Stastny? Ugh.

RGY is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 10:34 AM
  #894
Off Sides
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
$7.5 million for Stastny? Were gona take the hard, correct, stance with callahan and then blow our load and overpay for Stastny? Ugh.

I doubt it, I think he stay where he is, I think Callahan, Girardi do too. I think they both get what they pretty much want.

The question I think will become do they buyout Richards, if so are they going with Stepan/Brassard/Miller or do they use that space for a UFA center.

Not exactly what I am looking for, but I just don't see them saving spots for rookies, or saving cap space, or trading players for futures this season given where they are in the standings.

Off Sides is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
  #895
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
$7.5 million for Stastny? Were gona take the hard, correct, stance with callahan and then blow our load and overpay for Stastny? Ugh.
I could very easily make an argument that Stastny's style of play will age MUCH more gracefully than Callahan's. Stastny plays center, is good at face-offs, is also a good defensive forward.

I'm not advocating signing him, but if I were a team of another team and I had an option of 6.5 million for Callahan or 7.5 million for Stastny both over 7 years, I go Stastny.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 11:26 AM
  #896
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
****in a'....

ZUcc has a broken hand.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=705613

azaloum90 is online now  
Old
02-19-2014, 11:29 AM
  #897
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
heh...all the ppl who said dont worry about it...i'm not worried about it.

yeah, you should have worried. i was worried for sure..you dont miss an olympic game with a bruise.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 11:32 AM
  #898
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
nm, looks like its a shorter term thing


Last edited by Inferno: 02-19-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Inferno is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 11:40 AM
  #899
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,891
vCash: 500
Its a non-displaced fracture. The alignment of the bone is the same.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 12:13 PM
  #900
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Its a non-displaced fracture. The alignment of the bone is the same.
yea I think we need to chill. He is likely ok for the first game. fingers crossed

Cally likely goes to the deadline anyway even if hes dealt

Vitto79 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.