HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

With Our Current AHL Situation, Do You Try To Sign Cogliano And Chorney This Year???

Old
02-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
With Our Current AHL Situation, Do You Try To Sign Cogliano And Chorney This Year???

I've watched both of these players a handful of times this year, and both look like they could play proffessional hockey next season. However they have to deal with our current AHL situation. Here are the players that they would likely be competing with next season for AHL jobs...

Forwards
Schremp?
Jacques?
Brodziak?
Pouliot?
Trukhno
Bodie
Rohlfs
Spurgeon
McDonald
Goulet

Defensemen
Gilbert?
Roy?
Syvret?
Young
Bisaillon

Both collegians are exceptional talents that should be in the top 1/2 of each list on the depth chart. That said, part of me would like to see Cogliano stay in the NCAA and challenge for the Hobey Baker next year and have a similar season to what TJ Hensick is having. IMO he should have a smoother transition to teh AHL than Schremp has this year just based on his skating alone. It seems like the guys that started out very well in the AHL as rookies this season are very good skaters. His skill-set has really impressed me of late too, he is far from a Todd Marchant clone. Both will be smallish proffessionals, but both have speed and hockey IQ on their sides. If we have a true split affiliation next year, I would sign at least Chorney, and possibly Cogliano if Pouliot has finally taken the step to be a career NHLer. What are everyone else's thoughts???

02-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Soli
"Punish & Enslave"

It's all dependant over if we get an AHL team or not. Even with half a team, we could possibly store Syvret, Gilbert/Roy, and Chorney there. It's a kick in the pants to Young, but Chorney has more upside.

If we have the rights to out own AHL team, sign Chorney, let Cogs decide what he wants to do. It wouldn't hurt him to be the big dog on his NCAA team.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:11 PM
s7ark

Tough call. But, if we can get 1/2 a team or more then yes. We sign these two and keep Hrabal and Trogdor in Europe. I sure would like our own team though, so we don't have to make those choices.

Still, Chorney and Cogliano are now stars on their teams. They have little else to learn from the NCAA. The quicker we get them into the AHL, the quicker they will be ready to play for us. I would think we would sign them for sure, if they show interest in leaving college.

I think both are ready though and we should get them into the A.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
It's all dependant over if we get an AHL team or not. Even with half a team, we could possibly store Syvret, Gilbert/Roy, and Chorney there. It's a kick in the pants to Young, but Chorney has more upside.

If we have the rights to out own AHL team, sign Chorney, let Cogs decide what he wants to do. It wouldn't hurt him to be the big dog on his NCAA team.
You nailed that on the head!

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote