HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do we get better moving forward? No pun intended

Old
02-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Really.. Last time i checked this year the defense was carrying the team and to make matters worse d men are being used in the shootouts because the forwards can't again "get it done"

So how am i incorrect? I am talking about this year not the past.
I should clarify to some degree:

Our top 6 does "stink". Outside of Smith and Fisher, and to a lesser extent, Legwand, we have not had "top 6" production out of the remaining cast. What I was disagreeing with is the idea that Trotz would give minutes to the non-grinders. He has always tended towards spreading the wealth, and he has typically given his third line tweeners an extremely high proportion of minutes relative to other coaches around the league.

02-18-2014, 09:08 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I should clarify to some degree:

Our top 6 does "stink". Outside of Smith and Fisher, and to a lesser extent, Legwand, we have not had "top 6" production out of the remaining cast. What I was disagreeing with is the idea that Trotz would give minutes to the non-grinders. He has always tended towards spreading the wealth, and he has typically given his third line tweeners an extremely high proportion of minutes relative to other coaches around the league.
For sure i agree with that. But Nystrom should not be getting more minutes than some of are supposed top line guys like was discussed above. If the top line forwards were actually producing i don't think Nystrom would be getting the minutes he is.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:19 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Looking at the toi of our forward a is frustrating to say the least. Offensive players need the ice time to produce, Trotz isn't going to give top line minutes, he is going to go with his balance, limit mistakes, role the lines as much as possible. Since the end of the Leopold era, it has gotten even more restrictive. Leopold wanted a more aggressive team and we were back then.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 10:22 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
The way Trotz uses centers, they will always be more defensive than offensive.
Yes, we know, we've heard your Legwand > Zetterberg rationale.

The exagerration of Trotz's system around here is getting ridiculous. We have bottom 5 forward talent, NO QUESTION. When you have that, you are going to struggle to score.

When Trotz had decently talented guys like Sullvian, Arnott, Dumont (which by no means compare to the elite teams of the NHL), we were top 10 in every scoring category.

And even if the conspiracy theorist words of "Legwand > Zetterberg" (triggrman) and "Crosby may not score 15 goals in the Trotz's system" (all a buch of BS).. guess what, Poile is in charge of the coach and ultimately should be held accountable for the end-result.

If Trotz is holding everyone back, that's up to Poile to fix.

But the real fixin needs to be done with the guy who got us a bottom 5 talent to begin with.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 11:35 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Our offense will always struggle under the current system IMHO. It's too restrictive.
Is our system all that different today then it was in the mid-00s? Or is the name on the back of the sweater - like in 05-06 we had 2 pt/game players and YPerrault putting up 57 in 69 games, and in 06-07 our top 6 all put up 54 pts or better, and 2 guys on the 3rd line put up right at .6/game?

Somehow I just don't see Fish/Horny/Wilson/Smith/Spaling the equal of either group.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Looking at the toi of our forward a is frustrating to say the least. Offensive players need the ice time to produce, Trotz isn't going to give top line minutes, he is going to go with his balance, limit mistakes, role the lines as much as possible. Since the end of the Leopold era, it has gotten even more restrictive. Leopold wanted a more aggressive team and we were back then.
...which is normally a reasonable approach, because if your opponent only have a small number of top line forwards that are played constantly, you can focus exclusively on them and point and laugh at everyone else, then tear them apart when they're tired in the 3rd. The problem is that such an approach requires depth of decent talent - not top talent, just decent - and while the Preds have had that in the past, right now they don't.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 12:23 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Yes, we know, we've heard your Legwand > Zetterberg rationale.

The exagerration of Trotz's system around here is getting ridiculous. We have bottom 5 forward talent, NO QUESTION. When you have that, you are going to struggle to score.

When Trotz had decently talented guys like Sullvian, Arnott, Dumont (which by no means compare to the elite teams of the NHL), we were top 10 in every scoring category.

And even if the conspiracy theorist words of "Legwand > Zetterberg" (triggrman) and "Crosby may not score 15 goals in the Trotz's system" (all a buch of BS).. guess what, Poile is in charge of the coach and ultimately should be held accountable for the end-result.

If Trotz is holding everyone back, that's up to Poile to fix.

But the real fixin needs to be done with the guy who got us a bottom 5 talent to begin with.
This coming from the same guy that was on here screaming about how Legwand sucked because he liked kinky sex.

Yes, before Zetterberg was well established in the NHL I said that Legwand and Erat were every bit the player Zetterberg and Datsyuk were. I made the statement after Zetterberg had played 2 seasons in the NHL and had not broke the 45 point mark for a season.

I also thought Adam Hall would be a legit powerforward.

I've never cared about worrying about a players sex life though, you however, cannot say the same thing.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...and+zetterberg

Old
02-19-2014, 12:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Is our system all that different today then it was in the mid-00s? Or is the name on the back of the sweater - like in 05-06 we had 2 pt/game players and YPerrault putting up 57 in 69 games, and in 06-07 our top 6 all put up 54 pts or better, and 2 guys on the 3rd line put up right at .6/game?

Somehow I just don't see Fish/Horny/Wilson/Smith/Spaling the equal of either group.
You could be right, since most of the current players have only played here we have no way to know for sure.

I just go back to what Kesler said about playing against us and it was like we don't even try to score, just defend.

Seems like our system after the Detroit series became way more restrictive and has gotten worse and worse. Maybe it's just the players, I have no idea.

I do know, this supposedly is the team Trotz helped Poile design, so to me, it's the what he wanted.

I think the best thing we could do it get rid of both Poile and Trotz.

Old
02-19-2014, 01:44 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
This coming from the same guy that was on here screaming about how Legwand sucked because he liked kinky sex.

Yes, before Zetterberg was well established in the NHL I said that Legwand and Erat were every bit the player Zetterberg and Datsyuk were. I made the statement after Zetterberg had played 2 seasons in the NHL and had not broke the 45 point mark for a season.

I also thought Adam Hall would be a legit powerforward.

I've never cared about worrying about a players sex life though, you however, cannot say the same thing.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...and+zetterberg
No you are putting words in my mouth. I eluded to past incidents and you are making up every other part of it of what those incidents actually are. Those are incidents that other people on this board know and for good reason should not be talked about. Even a guy in Detriot eluded to the same incidents a couple of days ago on the main board-- and that Ken Holland may not to trade for Legwand because of it. Read into what you will- but that's all I'm going to say about it. Ask someone in the known if you want to know more. It also happens to be big reason why Legwand has never gotten true respect from Preds management.

Meanwhile, you are just trying to deflect attention away from you Legwand>Zetterberg statements. And yes, Zetterberg was outproducing Legwand at the time too. You used the same "it's Trotz' system " tired arguments to justify it.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:20 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

You're right. How could I ever think that the all mighty Trotz and his this wonderful offensive system was to blame and that Poile has not given him the correct players to play in.

When Trotz said this summer these are the players he personally targeted with Poile he was just lying to protect Poile right?

I mean the proof is in the pudding right, when Trotz had the Kariya's and Sullivan's the team produced offensively? I'd also point out that your hated Legwand had his best years then. I'm guessing you'll say, "it was a contract year" "he hasn't done it since" but we've not had those type wingers since either.

I could give a crap less if we keep Legwand or get rid of him. At this point, it's the 2 leaders I want gone.

I could also care less about someone's sex obsessions, as long as they're not doint stuff that's illegal, pedophiles or rapist.

Also, the link I attached has the date on the Legwand, zetterberg discussion.

Also, I was talking about Wilson, don't know why Legwand was even brought up other than you trolling me for the 2005 Zetterberg comment.

Last edited by triggrman: 02-19-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old
02-19-2014, 04:22 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Also, I was talking about Wilson, don't know why Legwand was even brought up other than you trolling me for the 2005 Zetterberg comment.
Because you've been saying the same stuff ever since. "It's Trotz's system for centers". Same logic you used to explain how Legwand > Zetterberg... and have been using same line for at least 10 years.

But we can be in agreement. We both want Poile out of here. I've actually said I'm neutral on Trotz. Changing him isn't going to make us a good team, but now would be the time to try if ownership feels like they have a great candiate somewhere. We still aren't going to be a good team, but it's a good time to test out a head coach

Old
02-19-2014, 05:30 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Well I have been consistent with my hate for his system.

Maybe it is more Poile, I don't know. I just think it's time for a change.

Old
02-19-2014, 05:41 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Well I have been consistent with my hate for his system.

Maybe it is more Poile, I don't know. I just think it's time for a change.
I agree

Old
02-24-2014, 07:50 PM
PFL615

Quotes by Fenton a bit ago on twitter from interview Ryan Miller radio guy in Milwaukee

Fenton: "I don't believe that we'll be in on the Thomas Vanek or Matt Moulson sweepstakes, or any of the guys that are unrestricted."

Fenton: "We won't be renting a star player...but we will look at different pieces that might be able to help us in the future."

Fenton:"Could I say that this is one of these years where we're looking to make a blockbuster to help us? It'd have to be the perfect deal."

Fenton:"We are preparing like we are going to try to add something. We're preparing like we could be making a couple moves to look at the future."

Fenton: "We're going to look at our game Thursday night and Saturday afternoon and then on Tuesday and see where we are."

Old
02-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Filipthefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
Quotes by Fenton a bit ago on twitter from interview Ryan Miller radio guy in Milwaukee

Fenton: "I don't believe that we'll be in on the Thomas Vanek or Matt Moulson sweepstakes, or any of the guys that are unrestricted."

Fenton: "We won't be renting a star player...but we will look at different pieces that might be able to help us in the future."

Fenton:"Could I say that this is one of these years where we're looking to make a blockbuster to help us? It'd have to be the perfect deal."

Fenton:"We are preparing like we are going to try to add something. We're preparing like we could be making a couple moves to look at the future."

Fenton: "We're going to look at our game Thursday night and Saturday afternoon and then on Tuesday and see where we are."
I really dont know if this frightens me or excites me ........ I am really leaning to frighting

Filipthefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

So this to me means we are looking at Gagner or similar players signed for an additional year or two. I think we should sell honestly. 6th from last ... Overall. This team is not very good. I get that we are "close", but so are multiple other teams. Let it ride unless it is a hockey trade or for the future as he said. Move Legwand if there is no plan to resign him.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 08:54 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Well, I'm encouraged that he believes that we won't trade for a rental and that whatever pieces we're interested in will be a move for the future as well.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 08:55 PM
PFL615

I'm not sure what is going to happen to change anything later this week and against Pitt. Peka isn't going to be playing and i don't see the forwards coming in and beating doors down.
The only blockbuster would involve Weber IMO. That is real interesting on that quote.... Who else would be a blockbuster on the Preds?

Old
02-24-2014, 08:57 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Well, I'm encouraged that he believes that we won't trade for a rental and that whatever pieces we're interested in will be a move for the future as well.
I agree. Makes me think some more young talent like FF..

Old
02-25-2014, 12:20 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
I agree. Makes me think some more young talent like FF..
If we get any kind of player similar to FF I will be ecstatic

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Preds33

Quote:
I'm not sure what is going to happen to change anything later this week and against Pitt. Peka isn't going to be playing and i don't see the forwards coming in and beating doors down.
The only blockbuster would involve Weber IMO. That is real interesting on that quote.... Who else would be a blockbuster on the Preds?
Who said the blockbuster had to already be on the Preds? Poile may manage to "Steal" another player like he did last year. I know that wasn't "Blockbuster" but we don't know what he has up his sleeve.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:22 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Who said the blockbuster had to already be on the Preds? Poile may manage to "Steal" another player like he did last year. I know that wasn't "Blockbuster" but we don't know what he has up his sleeve.
Lol what "Blockbuster" the Preds going to obtain without using Weber? Seriously?

Old
02-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Lol what "Blockbuster" the Preds going to obtain without using Weber? Seriously?
I am not saying they will, but Poile may be able to fleece someone, it's not likely though.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
There are plenty of "Blockbuster" trades that only involve 1 star player: Ryan, Nash, Richards, Carter, etc.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Legwand gets the silent treatment
(Post)
Quote:
“Obviously it’s up to me,” Legwand said. “It’s a decision in my hands and my family’s hands so we’ll make it when it’s the point in time to make it.”

The Predators played better prior to the Olympic break and moved to within the eighth spot in the conference standings. Any desire the team had to move him probably decreased as a result.

Still, his expectation is that he will go somewhere even if it does not happen before the end of this season. Just as he and franchise leaders have not talked about trade possibilities, they also have not discussed a new deal once the current one runs out.

“You always have options,” Legwand said. “Obviously, the ball is in your court. They haven’t said anything all year. Do they really want me here? Or do they want me gone? I don’t know. If they wanted me here, they’d say something. They haven’t said anything.”
Kind of shocking that he hasn't been sat down and talked to considering he's both, needing a new contract and potential rental player for another team.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote