HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Has Renney lost faith in Weekes?

Old
02-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Has Renney lost faith in Weekes?

Has Tom Renney lost faith in backup Kevin Weekes?

So far, Weekes stats have been 4-6-2 in 14 Games played, sporting a 3.39 GAA and a .879 Save %...

What are your thoughts?

This is NOT a "lets bash Weekes" thread, but rather looking at wanting to start the King every remaining game...

GO RANGERS!

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:44 PM
gaglinefan

vCash: 500
Weeks

I think Henrik is starting because he is the #1 and he deserves to . With groups of days off he is clearly rested and getting to the top of his game again. I am sure Weeks starts in a spot role and that's it.

Last edited by gaglinefan: 02-11-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Typo
gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I dont know if Renney has lost faith in Weekes or what. But Lundy loves the spotlight in big games and all these games are pretty big right now, and he seems comfortable in all of them, I think once he starts looking or feeling uncomfortable in a game either he'll tell Renney to switch it up or Renney will just see it and switch it up. Lundy is well conditioned and I think he stand this many games and now he gets a 5 day break before the next game.
That's my thought about it.

LET'S GO REANGERS!!!!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:47 PM
bar down*

Send a message via AIM to bar down*
who cares? weekes sucks. montoya should be the back up and weekes should be somebody else's problem.

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Has Tom Renney lost faith in backup Kevin Weekes?

So far, Weekes stats have been 4-6-2 in 14 Games played, sporting a 3.39 GAA and a .879 Save %...

What are your thoughts?

This is NOT a "lets bash Weekes" thread, but rather looking at wanting to start the King every remaining game...

GO RANGERS!
Well, heres the thing about Weekes, Hes not as bad as some people make him out to be, but he is nowhere near the level of Henrik.

Last year Renney had to ease Henrik along, but now, Henrik has more or less arrived. Its his show.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:05 PM
broadwayblue

Weekes is a career 3GAA. And he's not even a streaky goalie at that...meaning he's always going to give up 3. He's not a #1 and therefore shouldn't be getting quality starts. He is a serviceable backup and nothing more.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:08 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

We're in a playoff hunt, you go with your best goalie. Lundqvist is our guy despite his horrid game against Detroit. If we are gonna make the playoffs its gonna be with him leading the way in net. Theres no time for rests. Especially when we have 4 days off now.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:18 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
We're in a playoff hunt, you go with your best goalie. Lundqvist is our guy despite his horrid game against Detroit. If we are gonna make the playoffs its gonna be with him leading the way in net. Theres no time for rests. Especially when we have 4 days off now.
Agree.

If we were in the same position as we were last year at this time, Weekes would be getting some games.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:26 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Weekes is a UFA so who cares. Montoya will be on the squad next year, if not Valiquette will be the backup with Montoya waiting in the wings down in Hartford should Lundqvist get hurt or stumble. Weekes has been eratic at best, horrible most nights. You can tell immediately based off of the 1st shot he faces what you will get from him.

He was another one of those fill in players, brought in to plug a gap until Lundqvist or Montoya were able to step in. Besides all of the above we are in a fight for a playoff spot and there is no time to work Weekes in by throwing away a game for him to get the rust off. He is though a good team mate. Too expensive in today's NHL to be a backup.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:34 PM
SML

Does this guy even travel with the team anymore? Yeah, he's lost faith in him, if he ever had any. Weekes NEVER turned in a performance that made me think he should be starting. EVER. The guy let in so many first shots, so many backbreaker goals, I can't begin to count. You at least hope your goalie can give your team a cnahce to win... Weekes did and always has done the exact opposite. Putting him in net is like starting the game down 1-0, more like 2-0. If you don't blow the doors off the other team offensively, it's a loss.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:37 PM
crisb

We are in a very tight race, you have to play your starter.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:41 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
who cares? weekes sucks. montoya should be the back up and weekes should be somebody else's problem.
Why do people continue to put down Weekes over Montoya. Weekes is a seasoned NHL proven goaltender. Weekes is sitting only because Lundqvist is playing well right now, and there's no reason why he can't continue to go for a while.

Enough with the Montoya stuff, the guy's been injured, and there's no reason to think he's going to come up and play better then Weekes has, in a backup role.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:59 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Henrik has a GAA of under 2 in his last 6 or games, I think it is.

That's why Weekes has been playing at all; Henrik is red hot, no need to play the backup

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:03 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I also think that if we make the playoffs Renney wants Henrik to be at the top of his game. The only way he'll get there is if he plays a lot. Look at Brodeur.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:10 PM
kovalev27hf

haven't YOU lost confidence in weekes??

the guy is terrible those numbers are disgusting he's a complete nightmare for us and as someone said he's an automatic 3 PLUS goals against. these games are all tight playoff like games you can't afford to go into games knowing your gonna give up 3 plus a night. forget this guy the schedule is forgiving henke has days off he'll go the rest of the way. MAYBE weekes gets chicago and columbus this month but i'd be surprised if you see him in more than 2 or 3 games the rest of the way. shocked actually if its even that

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:22 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev27hf View Post
haven't YOU lost confidence in weekes??

the guy is terrible those numbers are disgusting he's a complete nightmare for us and as someone said he's an automatic 3 PLUS goals against. these games are all tight playoff like games you can't afford to go into games knowing your gonna give up 3 plus a night. forget this guy the schedule is forgiving henke has days off he'll go the rest of the way. MAYBE weekes gets chicago and columbus this month but i'd be surprised if you see him in more than 2 or 3 games the rest of the way. shocked actually if its even that
I think your forgetting that Weekes was only pulled once I believe, and that most of his losses, have come from the team not playing D in front of him- not because of his poor play. Yes he does tend to let in an bad goal here or there, but you know what, Hank let up some butes during the DET game too.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:30 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
I think your forgetting that Weekes was only pulled once I believe, and that most of his losses, have come from the team not playing D in front of him- not because of his poor play. Yes he does tend to let in an bad goal here or there, but you know what, Hank let up some butes during the DET game too.
Forget about him giving up the occasional bad goal or his team not playing well in front of him...all you need to know is that in over 300 NHL games he has given up 2.9 goals on average. When he starts you can bank on it taking 4 goals to get 2 points. Even in the new NHL that's too much to ask from your offense every start. He's a great teammate and person, but he's not a #1.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:44 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Forget about him giving up the occasional bad goal or his team not playing well in front of him...all you need to know is that in over 300 NHL games he has given up 2.9 goals on average. When he starts you can bank on it taking 4 goals to get 2 points. Even in the new NHL that's too much to ask from your offense every start. He's a great teammate and person, but he's not a #1.
I agree he's not a #1, he's a decent #2, and IMO better than Montoya would be.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Vito_81

How much is Weekes making this yr? just curious because I wouldn't mind him as a back up for Miller next year after Biron leaves via UFA. That is of course if his price tag isn't too big.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:54 PM
broadwayblue

I think Weekes is making 2mil this season.

Old
02-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Vito_81

2 million is a bit too much for Weekes IMO. But with the number of UFA goalies out there this coming offseason plus the fact that this has not been one of Kevin's finest seasons, like Klingsor said, I think he can be signed for less.

I've always liked Weekes' game and I really would like to have him as Miller's backup next year if he would sign for a million or less.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 03:36 PM
SML

I don't think Weekes makes an NHL roster next year, actually. In a post cap league, he isn't worth the money. How would YOU go from making 2 mil plus to signing for less than 1 mill? He's good, but not great. He's been beaten out every place he's ever played. I seriously could see him signing over in Europe somewhere, banking on having a huge, Tim Thomas type season in hopes it rejuvenates interest in him. The problem is, he has never thought of himself as a backup. Outside of Theodore, is there a goalie making less of an impact per dollar than he is? Dunham didn't play anywhere last year did he? But he's back. The only way I see him getting a contract is if somebody has a major unexpected injury to a starter they were depending on to play most of their games. Otherwise, I think he's finished.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 03:57 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

No....

he'll go next Sunday vs Chicago

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Fletch

Renney...

doesn't like changing things up. Lundqvist has been playing very well, and with the All Star Break rest, had gotten some ample rest. The problem is, Lundvist can easily tire, and in that tired game, the Rangers may lose as a result, and when Weekes comes in the next game, you may see the same thing. Weekes probably should've been sent to HFD for a tune-up game or two (on a conditioning stint), and in the process, he'd be warmed-up for the next game and we don't have to see a tied Lundqvist in one game and a cold Weekes in the next game.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Fletch

Sml...

if the market for Weekes was under $1MM, I'm sure he signs and proves himself again. He's proven to be a good teammate and I think if you ask Lundqvist what he's meant to him, I'm sure he'd say a lot. He can play. He can't play 15-20 games in a season and be effective though. He's what, 32? He's a decent goalie who can be valuable somewhere.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote