HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Part 2 - Updated March 25th

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2014, 03:02 PM
  #76
topchowda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,086
vCash: 500
Simpson is up for the Hobey Baker award, here is the write up on him

Quote:
Named to 2013-14 College Hockey News' Preseason All-CHN Second Team ... One of 20 national candidates for the Senior CLASS Award ... UND's youngest team captain in 22 years ... Was age 20 years, 7 months, 26 days on opening night ... Two-time NCHC Defenseman of the Week ... Leads all NCHC defensemen in scoring and is tied for third in the league's scoring race with 11 points (3G, 8A) in 12 conference games ... Tied for the league lead in assists (8) during NCHC games ... Six of his 11 NCHC points have coming during NCHC, which leads all skaters ... Has 13 points (4G, 9A) in 20 games overall, tied for fourth-best among NCHC defensemen ... Leads the NCHC and is tied for eighth nationally with 49 blocked shots ... Has captained UND to a 7-game winning streak, the nation's longest active streak, collecting points in six of those seven games ... Has three goals and four assists during that stretch, including GWG in 5-3 win vs. Colorado College (Jan. 10) ... Named NCHC Defenseman of the Week on Nov. 18 after a 4-point series against Minnesota Duluth ... Had two assists in series opener and a goal and an assist in the finale ... Also received the award Jan. 13 after a 3-point series in a sweep of Colorado College ... Scored GWG with an assist in series opener and added an assist in the finale ... Blocked a UND season-high eight shots in a Nov. 9 game at Nebraska Omaha ... Received UND's Marcus & Lynn Chorney Men’s Hockey Scholarship Endowment.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 04:14 PM
  #77
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!
 
Mozesmadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Posted this in the Barons thread but it belongs here too:

For anyone wanting to see the Barons live, there playing the Marlies on Sportsnet 360 next Sunday at 2:00 MT. It's a rare chance to see how the baby Oilers are progressing.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 04:31 PM
  #78
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,582
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
http://www.soogreyhounds.com/videos

Here is the goal. It's at the 2:35 mark.

Beauty goal.
hopefully a sign that his shot is getting a bit heavier

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 04:58 PM
  #79
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!
 
Mozesmadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
hopefully a sign that his shot is getting a bit heavier
The shot was a hammer but it's great to see him jumping up like that

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 12:49 PM
  #80
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,150
vCash: 500
JonathanWillis
Talked to Oscar Klefbom today. AHL lists him at 6'3", 204lbs; he says he's playing at 215-217 pounds this season. Klefbom says he's really happy at the balance he's found between playing a heavy game in the defensive zone and keeping his speed.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 04:15 PM
  #81
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!
 
Mozesmadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Kyle Platzer had two goals and an assist today.

The trade from London to Owen Sound has worked out great so far, almost a PPG so far.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:18 PM
  #82
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
JonathanWillis
Talked to Oscar Klefbom today. AHL lists him at 6'3", 204lbs; he says he's playing at 215-217 pounds this season. Klefbom says he's really happy at the balance he's found between playing a heavy game in the defensive zone and keeping his speed.
That's promising. He's got all the physical tools to be one hell of a defender.


Isn't Jones up for the Hobey Baker as well?

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:43 PM
  #83
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,150
vCash: 500
Chase picked up 2 primary PP assists still in the 1st period. He's been picking up a lot of assists lately on the PP. The Hitmen play an umbrella and Chase is high left on the half boards on the #1 unit.

Moroz with 2G-3A-5PTS in a 12-0 blowout of Lethbridge. Both goals on the PP.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 06:06 PM
  #84
topchowda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Chase picked up 2 primary PP assists still in the 1st period. He's been picking up a lot of assists lately on the PP. The Hitmen play an umbrella and Chase is high left on the half boards on the #1 unit.

Moroz with 2G-3A-5PTS in a 12-0 blowout of Lethbridge. Both goals on the PP.
Chase and Moroz are two interesting prospects. Both look to be bottom six guys if they turn out. But both collect points in different ways

Chase has 30 goals and 39 assists (positive G:A ratio) whereas Moroz has 31 goals and 27 assists (Negative G:A ratio)

It seems like bigger prospects who put up more goals then assists in Jr. tend to do so because they are bigger than opponets, but lack the playmaking skills to become a useful pro. Then when they get to the pros, they lose the size advnatage they had in junior and top as Clifford type players.

Whereas a guy like Chase is scoring goals, but also picking up alot of assists. I think Chase has better potential as it appears he is a smarter hockey player with better playmaking skills (who can also score)

For comparison Gallagher scored 91 points (44 goals 47 assists) in 66 games in his post draft year (1.37)

Marchand scored 33-47-80 in 57 in his post draft season (1.4)

Chase is currently at a 1.17 ppg.

This doesnt take into account powerplay time, even strength scoring, or quality of linemates. But all 3 led their teams in scoring in their post draft years

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 06:16 PM
  #85
FlyingV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 355
vCash: 500
Anyone who watches the oil kings regularly got a scouting report on Reid Petryk? I know he got an invite to the oilers young stars camp, and he's playing at a ppg pace since being traded to the oil kings. Has decent size at 6'2 210, just wondering if he's an interesting player the oilers might look to sign at the echl or ahl level next year.

FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 07:10 PM
  #86
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,582
vCash: 50
Are we underrating Dillon Simpson on this board?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 07:12 PM
  #87
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Paying Off A Bet
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Are we underrating Dillon Simpson on this board?
When I have watched him I have never seen anything special although I haven't wathced him this season.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 07:25 PM
  #88
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 500
I think we have some interesting prospects for the bottom 6. We have a combination of size grit and skill

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 10:57 PM
  #89
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,582
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I think we have some interesting prospects for the bottom 6. We have a combination of size grit and skill
It's the top-six prospects that I worry about.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 10:33 AM
  #90
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
It's the top-six prospects that I worry about.
We have 4/5 of the top 6 forward spots covered for the next 2-5 years (depending on if we can convince Perron to re-sign). The only thing that's missing is a big two-way 2nd line center, which aren't exactly easy to find.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:23 AM
  #91
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,582
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
We have 4/5 of the top 6 forward spots covered for the next 2-5 years (depending on if we can convince Perron to re-sign). The only thing that's missing is a big two-way 2nd line center, which aren't exactly easy to find.
Yes, but what about injuries? Good teams have great offensive prospects that can step in when key injuries happen.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 12:14 PM
  #92
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,437
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Chase and Moroz are two interesting prospects. Both look to be bottom six guys if they turn out. But both collect points in different ways

Chase has 30 goals and 39 assists (positive G:A ratio) whereas Moroz has 31 goals and 27 assists (Negative G:A ratio)

It seems like bigger prospects who put up more goals then assists in Jr. tend to do so because they are bigger than opponets, but lack the playmaking skills to become a useful pro. Then when they get to the pros, they lose the size advnatage they had in junior and top as Clifford type players.

Whereas a guy like Chase is scoring goals, but also picking up alot of assists. I think Chase has better potential as it appears he is a smarter hockey player with better playmaking skills (who can also score)

For comparison Gallagher scored 91 points (44 goals 47 assists) in 66 games in his post draft year (1.37)

Marchand scored 33-47-80 in 57 in his post draft season (1.4)

Chase is currently at a 1.17 ppg.

This doesnt take into account powerplay time, even strength scoring, or quality of linemates. But all 3 led their teams in scoring in their post draft years
I guess Curtis Lazar looks to be a Clifford type player.

Mitch Holmberg projects to be a Clifford type player.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 06:15 PM
  #93
topchowda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I guess Curtis Lazar looks to be a Clifford type player.

Mitch Holmberg projects to be a Clifford type player.
Those are totally different styles of player. Im talking about grinders with some skill like Moroz.

Look at many of the grinders/enforcers in the league today (in the Clifford mold), and most of those guys scored 25-30 + goals in the CHL simply due to size

Tom Sesisto scored 42 goals (24 assists) in the OHL. Asham scored 45, Caron 36, King 34 goals, Lewis 29. Plus many, many others

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:10 PM
  #94
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!
 
Mozesmadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Those are totally different styles of player. Im talking about grinders with some skill like Moroz.

Look at many of the grinders/enforcers in the league today (in the Clifford mold), and most of those guys scored 25-30 + goals in the CHL simply due to size

Tom Sesisto scored 42 goals (24 assists) in the OHL. Asham scored 45, Caron 36, King 34 goals, Lewis 29. Plus many, many others
Just watch Moroz play. Don't go just off stats. He scores plenty of his goals around the net but he does have some highlight reel goals, especially in the shootout. Moroz has some nice hands, a good one timer, and has a more than capable shot. He can scrap with the best of them, and hits like a truck, I would say Moroz has more skill than any of the guys mentioned and can skate with any of them.

IMO the thing that separates him most from the above mentioned is his leadership and locker room abilities, he is an excellent team guy, he does anything to help his team.

If he develops into the guys you mentioned it would be disappointing.

I see Chris Neil in Moroz.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:18 PM
  #95
topchowda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Just watch Moroz play. Don't go just off stats. He scores plenty of his goals around the net but he does have some highlight reel goals, especially in the shootout. Moroz has some nice hands, a good one timer, and has a more than capable shot. He can scrap with the best of them, and hits like a truck, I would say Moroz has more skill than any of the guys mentioned and can skate with any of them.

IMO the thing that separates him most from the above mentioned is his leadership and locker room abilities, he is an excellent team guy, he does anything to help his team.

If he develops into the guys you mentioned it would be disappointing.

I see Chris Neil in Moroz.
I don't really watch the Oil Kings, so I cant comment on Moroz and his future as much as other posters. I was just pointing out a theme amongst big guys that can score. I don't mean to harp on the guy either, I quite like him as a prospect. If he could turn out like Neil or Kassian I would be pumped.

Scoring goals around the net is exactly what the Oilers need, but it fits the MO of bigger junior guys outmuscling smaller D to score a lot of goals

I think his transition to the AHL will be very telling, but for right now Im more than happy with his development.

He has scored more goals in 57 games than he did the past 135 games combined Pretty unreal

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 09:06 PM
  #96
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!
 
Mozesmadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I don't really watch the Oil Kings, so I cant comment on Moroz and his future as much as other posters. I was just pointing out a theme amongst big guys that can score. I don't mean to harp on the guy either, I quite like him as a prospect. If he could turn out like Neil or Kassian I would be pumped.

Scoring goals around the net is exactly what the Oilers need, but it fits the MO of bigger junior guys outmuscling smaller D to score a lot of goals

I think his transition to the AHL will be very telling, but for right now Im more than happy with his development.

He has scored more goals in 57 games than he did the past 135 games combined Pretty unreal
I agree with a lot of your points but watching this guy play there is so thing different about him IMO.

Moving on to the AHL what do you think would constitute a good season for him.

IMO, 10g/10a/20pts/100pims would be great.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 09:36 PM
  #97
Smartguy
Registered User
 
Smartguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I think we have some interesting prospects for the bottom 6. We have a combination of size grit and skill
I thought this as well, does anyone have any knowledge of how Jujhar Khaira has been doing as of late. Most fans were very intrigued with him this summer but I haven't heard much since the beginning of the season

Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 09:41 PM
  #98
topchowda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
I agree with a lot of your points but watching this guy play there is so thing different about him IMO.

Moving on to the AHL what do you think would constitute a good season for him.

IMO, 10g/10a/20pts/100pims would be great.
I think thatd be a good 1st year season. I would hope he could get up to around 35 or so points after that

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 09:58 PM
  #99
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,437
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Those are totally different styles of player. Im talking about grinders with some skill like Moroz.

Look at many of the grinders/enforcers in the league today (in the Clifford mold), and most of those guys scored 25-30 + goals in the CHL simply due to size

Tom Sesisto scored 42 goals (24 assists) in the OHL. Asham scored 45, Caron 36, King 34 goals, Lewis 29. Plus many, many others
Most players tend to score more in junior when they are nineteen and/or twenty year olds. That's really no revelation. The NHL is two levels higher than junior so almost everyone scores less in the NHL than they did in junior. Again, no real revelation there either.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 07:29 PM
  #100
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,972
vCash: 500
Watching the Canada-Latvia game today I realized that Kristians Pelss might have had an outside shot of making the Olympic team.
He wouldn't be the youngest player on the team, 6 of their players were born in the 90's. He'd be the same age as the goalie Gudļevskis. Plus he was really coming into his own in OKC and another year would have been huge. Really sucks.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.