HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, do we still need a 2nd Line Center?

Old
02-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
So, do we still need a 2nd Line Center?

Loving the new look to the team this past week. The Avery trade is AWESOME, but I hadn't expected it to be so effective. The team looks a whole lot different.

So do we still need the big C, and are we willing to pay for it?

Horton from Fla?
Smolinski fron Chi-town....or

I'm a BIG Forsberg fan. He's been playing well with his new insert and, well we all know the risks but....

Its just so tempting from a sheer lust to see Forsberg in a Ranger sweater. I really dont think he'll be back in Philadelphia next season

Apparantly the Flyers cancelled the conference media call this afternoon after the Snider/Forsberg meeting and just offered up a big fat NO COMMENT

All ELITE SUPERSTAR GREATEST PASSER IN THE GAME ASIDE

Do we still need it or after the last two games....stand pat?

Regulars here know Im a BIG fan of Brad Richards coming here too, but I dont think TB and the Rangers will be dealing during this season.

02-11-2007, 06:13 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

The thing about any further trades is I don't know who you'd want to take out of the line up?

Hossa-Straka-Jagr is working so far.

Avery-Nylander-Shanahan is too.

Prucha-Cullen-Ortmeyer could pick it up some more again.

Hollweg-Betts-Dupuis/Orr - energy, skating, defense/fists. a good 4th line.

I kind of like the lineup right now. The only sore spot is Malik but he's slowly cleaning up his game. I doubt Florida is gonna give up Horton for Montoya straight up. We'll have to let them see what type of player Monty is next season for such a straight up trade to ever happen. Smokes is a good player and probably my top choice for rental 2nd line center but again, I'm happy to stand pat for the moment. Ask again after the 24th, our last game before the trade deadline. Of course, said players may be gone by then.

On Forsberg - too expensive. If we're even going to make the playoffs, we'll have a clearer indication in the next few games. But if we are winning all those games, then that means we are doing well as a team and probably shouldn't risk breaking that apart by trading like 2-3 players and draft picks for Foppa and possibly creating more holes in the lineup where now, it seems like everything has found its place and ROLE.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Fletch

It depends...

on what your goal for this season is. The last two games have been great, but just remember, this team has reeled off 4 or so straight games that looked like the last couple before only to fall back into mediocrity. Further, the competition didn't appear to be at its best (Holmqvist could've had a better game and WASH seems to have been playing over its head all season). Hopefully these games give this team the confidence it needs, but we've seen Straka play well at center for stretches before, but it's never been a long term solution, so I'm not sure now would be any different. For now, it looks great, what will it look like after ten games? Who knows? Had Renney been reading these forums he would've tried Straka at center back in December, at the latest, with Nylander playing with Shanny and Cullen on a third lne and perhaps we'd know by now if Straka was the solution.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:18 PM
SML

Late round pick for Smolinski is about as rich as I'm willing to spend. Has Horton even been playing Center? I thought they were using him on the wing. I'd give a 3rd for Smoke and wish him well in the offseason, then spend wisely on Drury or Briere, or whoever else pops up UFA. I think Montoya certainly winds up playing a bulk of his career in a different sweater, but I really would like to see what he's about first.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Choice

I say a resounding YES, they do still need a second line center. But the early success of the Avery trade has bought them some time to wait until up against the deadline before they decide what kind of move to make if any.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Leprechaun

It's hard to tell whether the changes that were made and the new lines are something that's going to continue to work the way it has or that will gradually fall off. I think that getting a big center at this point would simply not be worth it. I say that we ride what we have up front and, if it works, it works, if not, prepare for next season. Forget about the big center idea. If you're going to make any more upgrades, then make it on the blueline where it's needed much more.

Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:36 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Its really tough to say right now. These lines they have right now mesh so well, theres great chemistry. On the first line the guys are making things happen every shift like Jagr was able to do last year. On the second line I really think Avery and Shanny are rubbing off on Nylander because he seems to be playing with a little more toughness. The third line has a ton of energy and they also create havoc and draw power plays. And the fourth line has just been great playing physical and beating up the opponent.

But all in all it still feels like the Rangers could use one more foward. But who do they get? Do they get a winger or a center? Or do they go and get both Horton and Bertuzzi? I think if they make an addition like that they will be set to make the playoffs and go far. I really dont want to break up that 1st line though. I think if they acquire Bert and Horton they could make some lines like this with Prucha being involved in the trade:

Hossa-Straka-Jagr
Shanny-Nylander-Bert
Avery-Horton-Cullen
Ortmeyer-Betts-Dupuis/Hollweg/Orr

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Larry Melnyk

Personally, I still think this team will make the POs and possibly do something decent....

To be as good as possible, it might still be best to get that "decent" 2nd C like a Smolinkski or Stumpel....but I'm not sure that is much of an improvement over sither Straka or Avery being one of the top 2 centers...and chemistry can mean so much and it finally looks like we have it...ANd it might be best tyo just run with it up front..BY not using any assets on a center, it also makes it more possible to use some asets on a D-man...which is needed big time..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
It's hard to tell whether the changes that were made and the new lines are something that's going to continue to work the way it has or that will gradually fall off. I think that getting a big center at this point would simply not be worth it. I say that we ride what we have up front and, if it works, it works, if not, prepare for next season. Forget about the big center idea. If you're going to make any more upgrades, then make it on the blueline where it's needed much more.
Jeez, I should have read this before posting and I could have written "What he said"

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:39 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

No. This team has a good look to it. What it needs now is some tough defense...

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The team needs an upgrade on the left side of the defense more then a second line center/top 6 forward...

My targets at this point would be

Nordstrom
Gauthier
Mara

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:49 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

With all the talk of Foppa coming here to Vancouver to play with his buddy Naslund, Morrison might become available. He'd likely be a necessary salary dump to make room for Forsberg.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
AXN

Hmmm, seems we don't need a second line center. It took them a while to put one on the second line. If they did it a little sooner, we could still be in 8th spot.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:01 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Its really tough to say right now. These lines they have right now mesh so well, theres great chemistry. On the first line the guys are making things happen every shift like Jagr was able to do last year. On the second line I really think Avery and Shanny are rubbing off on Nylander because he seems to be playing with a little more toughness. The third line has a ton of energy and they also create havoc and draw power plays. And the fourth line has just been great playing physical and beating up the opponent.

But all in all it still feels like the Rangers could use one more foward. But who do they get? Do they get a winger or a center? Or do they go and get both Horton and Bertuzzi? I think if they make an addition like that they will be set to make the playoffs and go far. I really dont want to break up that 1st line though. I think if they acquire Bert and Horton they could make some lines like this with Prucha being involved in the trade:

Hossa-Straka-Jagr
Shanny-Nylander-Bert
Avery-Horton-Cullen
Ortmeyer-Betts-Dupuis/Hollweg/Orr

so lets Deal montoya, dubinsky, staal, Immonen, and Callahan while ur at it for forsberg and knuble. Id deal Prucha but not for any ufa. Horton that im willing to do, at least he aint a veteran and is a power forward who is young.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
Hmmm, seems we don't need a second line center. It took them a while to put one on the second line. If they did it a little sooner, we could still be in 8th spot.
One could argue even higher than 8th, but who knew that one trade would allow this team to find some instant chemistry.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:17 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
One could argue even higher than 8th, but who knew that one trade would allow this team to find some instant chemistry.
Only 2 games my friend, let's see if they can keep this up for a while before we go nuts about it.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Fletch

Axn...

while this configuration may be the one that gets this team in the playoffs, it may also be another spurt for this team, whivh we've seen before. We've seen Cullen light it up on a second line. We've seen dominating performances against lesser teams. Now, we're seeing that again. By the trade deadline, I think we'll have a good idea what this team has.

Old
02-11-2007, 08:35 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

If I am Sather I focus on some young center that has not had the best of seasons, Mark Bell or Brad Boyes would suit me fine. A trade for either would be more in keeping with the game plan.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The team needs an upgrade on the left side of the defense more then a second line center/top 6 forward...

My targets at this point would be

Nordstrom
Gauthier
Mara
Gross. I was actually skimming rosters of the teams that look to be out of it and I honestly only think the Rangers will make a trade for a youngish veteran type of player like a Tyutin. There are barely any guys like that available though. Some guys that caught my eye were: Rostislav Klesla, Brent Seabrook, Derek Morris, Barret Jackman, Eric Brewer, Keith Ballard, JM Liles, MA Bergeron. But its highly unlikely these guys are up for trades.

It depends on what management is looking for. They could very easily turn back to LA and see what Blake or Visnovsky will cost.

Old
02-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
If I am Sather I focus on some young center that has not had the best of seasons, Mark Bell or Brad Boyes would suit me fine. A trade for either would be more in keeping with the game plan.
No way, at the rate this forward lineup is gelling I think Sather has atleast put all trades for a forward on TIGHT hold. I really cannot see any spot in the lineup where I'd want to upgrade. If Hossa goes back to underachieving, or atleast just an ordinary checking forward, then we can upgrade that top line LW. But man, the Cop line is fine, Avery-Nyllet-Shanny is perfect, Hossa-Straka-Jagr is coming around, and there is no reason to make a trade for the fourth as rotating Dupuis/Orr/Krog is perfectly fine.

Please upgrade the defense though.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Petemo

No, we don't need a second line center anymore.

The forwards on this team, it seems, can now do it's best to carry us into the playoffs.

What we need is a top 4 defenseman.

Petemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:16 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Wow....

Amazing what one trade can do to the chemistry of a team.

I think Avery was as hungry for New York as New York was for Sean Avery.

Philly is reportedly asking for #1 pick and a prospect for PF

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Fletch

If you like the offense..

from the forwards over the last couple games, then why not like the defense? 20 goals in 11 games? That doesn't seem too bad.

Old
02-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post

I think Avery was as hungry for New York as New York was for Sean Avery.

It's so weird. Never really payed attention to LA, but I've always thought Avery along the lines of a 3rd/4th liner in the mold of a Hollweg. Boy, he is showing how far from that he is. I cannot believe how people did not tout him well. Even if he is a certified *******...he still has the goods on the ice. He is not out of place on the top two lines.

Old
02-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
from the forwards over the last couple games, then why not like the defense? 20 goals in 11 games? That doesn't seem too bad.
Then why not use Malik's plus/minus as an indicator of play? (and I KNOW, its been beaten to death) But we could certainly upgrade Rachunek, Ward has played spotty, Girardi is a green rookie playing solid, and Malik is Malik.

They could revamp the defense for all I care as long as they kept Tyutin/Roszival. Those are the only two players who have played right at or past expectations.