HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc. part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2014, 07:13 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Hagg is physically ready for the NHL now... which Morin and Ghost are not (though I imagine Ghost could be for next year... Morin is a specimen but has to grow into his body), he makes grown men in probably the worlds 3rd (after NHL and KHL IMO) best league look like children at times both with both his 'finesse' (skating, balance) and 'brute' (strength, hitting) physical skills. If he can smooth over his inconsistency and have less 'brainfarts'... which I think he has to a degree this year (and his defensive ability has improved a lot IMO over the season) he is ready. He just turned 19... skates beautifully, can hit and take hits like a mack truck and is 6'2 and ~210 pounds... I imagine he will be ~220 in the next few years, and at 6'2 and 220 skating the way he does... very nice.

That being said he should be in the SHL next year... preferably getting 20minutes a night. Modo are my fave SHL team; but if they cannot guarantee that he needs to go somewhere else, he is the youngest defenceman in the league full time and would be getting 18-20+ on some rosters this year. If he can get 20 mins a night in the SHL age 19-20 and put up decent points (not as important as 'smoothing the kinks' though.) he could be very well ready to step in in 15-16.

That being said I think overall Ghost is closest to being NHL ready.
I think part of the issue with Hagg's "brain farts" has to do with the fact he gets minimal ice time. I get that ice time is earned, but at the same time, how's a young player supposed to learn when their ice time is limited? Makes me wonder if maybe Hagg should have come over to North America and play for a major junior hockey team instead. While he wouldn't be playing against men, he would certainly be getting 20+ minutes a night of ice time and get a real shot at rounding out his game.

Old
02-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Broad Street Elite

I was one of the biggest proponents for saying that Gostisbehere needs to add weight to compete at the NHL or even AHL level, but that said, in watching several of Union's games of late, I see three things that make me think he's closer than I originally thought. First, I question the accuracy of the weights that are out there, because he doesn't look nearly as thin as the numbers would have you think. Secondly, I have never seen any player in any Union game take advantage of him because of his size. Finally, he has some of the same knack for the game that allows smaller guys like Nuge (not comparing their skill levels before someone goes berserk). He understands spacing and sees the ice well at both ends such that he is very good at avoiding situations where his size can be used against him.

I think the biggest hurdle for Ghost will be a more rigorous professional schedule. You need to bounce back much more quickly than the college game requires. In my opinion, Ghost needs a cup of tea with the Phantoms this season, a full professional offseason and training camp, then some number of games at the AHL level next season before being re-evaluated.

I honestly think people are going to be surprised how just how offensively skilled and defensively competent Ghost already is.

Old
02-18-2014, 08:41 PM
FLYguy3911

People always talk about size to the point it gets so overrated. The only reason to get concerned over size is if a player doesn't have a standout trait to overcome it. Gostisbehere is a plus skater (elite at the college level), has a plus shot, and very good puck skills. He'll be fine.

Old
02-18-2014, 09:46 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
4g, 6a, +4 over 4 in the week.
And he's now been named CHL player of the week.

http://winterhawks.com/article/leier...er-of-the-week

Old
02-18-2014, 09:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

According to the guys on the London board Stolarz skated at practice today.

Edit: I found these two tweets from a guy who covers the Knights for a paper in London;

This tweet is from today:
Quote:
Knights G Anthony Stolarz has been skating the past couple of days. He should start practicing in full gear later this week.
This tweet is from a couple of days ago:
Quote:
If I was betting right now, I'd say Anthony Stolarz's first game back in net will be two Fridays from now -- Feb. 28 vs. Owen Sound.
Source: Ryan Pyette @RyanatLFPress

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 02-18-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old
02-18-2014, 10:22 PM
letterH

I know Tyrell Goulbourne wasnt a popular pick with the Flyer faithful but he has been playing outstanding on the #1 team in the CHL. Had a massive game last week, contributing offence, always #1 PK unit and kicked the crap out of a guy 6'6 and he is is 6'0. I think it will be a huge struggle for him to play regularly in the NHL but to see how far he has come and how much Kelowna depends on this guy, you never know. Remember whl.ca has every game online for about $7, bored one night you guys should check for yourselves. The Rockets website and facebook page usually have some neat little clips/stories on the players as well.

Old
02-18-2014, 10:44 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterH View Post
I know Tyrell Goulbourne wasnt a popular pick with the Flyer faithful but he has been playing outstanding on the #1 team in the CHL. Had a massive game last week, contributing offence, always #1 PK unit and kicked the crap out of a guy 6'6 and he is is 6'0. I think it will be a huge struggle for him to play regularly in the NHL but to see how far he has come and how much Kelowna depends on this guy, you never know. Remember whl.ca has every game online for about $7, bored one night you guys should check for yourselves. The Rockets website and facebook page usually have some neat little clips/stories on the players as well.
I just hope he can turn into a great fourth line player, so that pick does not seem too bad. I like Goulbourne, but the problem for me is that when he was selected there were many other solid players on the board that still remained like Oliver Bjorkstrand. OB is a winger, which is our second biggest need and he has produced very well in the CHL. Instead we pick a fighter who might have been acquirable with our 5th round pick.

Old
02-19-2014, 06:04 AM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I was one of the biggest proponents for saying that Gostisbehere needs to add weight to compete at the NHL or even AHL level, but that said, in watching several of Union's games of late, I see three things that make me think he's closer than I originally thought. First, I question the accuracy of the weights that are out there, because he doesn't look nearly as thin as the numbers would have you think. Secondly, I have never seen any player in any Union game take advantage of him because of his size. Finally, he has some of the same knack for the game that allows smaller guys like Nuge (not comparing their skill levels before someone goes berserk). He understands spacing and sees the ice well at both ends such that he is very good at avoiding situations where his size can be used against him.

I think the biggest hurdle for Ghost will be a more rigorous professional schedule. You need to bounce back much more quickly than the college game requires. In my opinion, Ghost needs a cup of tea with the Phantoms this season, a full professional offseason and training camp, then some number of games at the AHL level next season before being re-evaluated.

I honestly think people are going to be surprised how just how offensively skilled and defensively competent Ghost already is.
He'll need to build up his stamina in the AHL, IMO untill he shows he is ready to skip that league. He might have great instincts and all that, but stamina like you wrote will be an issue.

Old
02-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
He'll need to build up his stamina in the AHL, IMO untill he shows he is ready to skip that league. He might have great instincts and all that, but stamina like you wrote will be an issue.
Not sure if this is a +1 or you just stopped reading my post halfway through, but yes, the biggest hurdle for Ghost as I mentioned will be the transition to a more rigorous professional playing schedule. I believe he already has the talent to step onto the top 4 in Adirondack right now, but he will be a huge transition in terms of conditioning.

I will say that Ghost's conditioning is definitely fine in college as there are games where he is playing nearly half the game. Just an adjustment to playing every other day as opposed to twice a week, usually on weekends.

Old
02-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterH View Post
Thanks for the info.

Old
02-19-2014, 09:23 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Not sure if this is a +1 or you just stopped reading my post halfway through, but yes, the biggest hurdle for Ghost as I mentioned will be the transition to a more rigorous professional playing schedule. I believe he already has the talent to step onto the top 4 in Adirondack right now, but he will be a huge transition in terms of conditioning.

I will say that Ghost's conditioning is definitely fine in college as there are games where he is playing nearly half the game. Just an adjustment to playing every other day as opposed to twice a week, usually on weekends.
AHL schedule isn't like the NHL. Most games are on Friday, Staurday and Sunday. At a quick glance the Phantoms have 11 games during the course of the whole season not on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. The point stands, he more then definitely would struggle with playing so many back to backs and even a few back to back to backs.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
People always talk about size to the point it gets so overrated. The only reason to get concerned over size is if a player doesn't have a standout trait to overcome it. Gostisbehere is a plus skater (elite at the college level), has a plus shot, and very good puck skills. He'll be fine.
I have to admit, I get a little giddy thinking of when Gostisbehere gets to Philadelphia and he's the point man on the Power Play. That's not just a plus shot he's got, he's got an absolute bomb of a shot. Looking forward to when he gets his opportunity to tee up and fire away.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:54 AM
kjbhockey

I honestly believe we'll see Morin in the lineup before Ghost and Hagg. The Flyers are notorious for giving 1st rounders ample opportunity to make the club. I believe he belongs in the Q for another year but I just have a funny feeling he'll make the team out of camp.

I think Ghost will stay at Union for another despite being too good for the competition. The whole wanting a degree is crap. He can easily do summer classes to get a degree while turning pro.

With Hagg I have strange feeling he'll be in Sweden a few years. We don't have the best history getting europeans over to the states for whatever reason.

Old
02-19-2014, 11:01 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbhockey View Post
I honestly believe we'll see Morin in the lineup before Ghost and Hagg. The Flyers are notorious for giving 1st rounders ample opportunity to make the club. I believe he belongs in the Q for another year but I just have a funny feeling he'll make the team out of camp.

I think Ghost will stay at Union for another despite being too good for the competition. The whole wanting a degree is crap. He can easily do summer classes to get a degree while turning pro.

With Hagg I have strange feeling he'll be in Sweden a few years. We don't have the best history getting europeans over to the states for whatever reason.
The only thing I disagree with is the Hagg comment. The reason is Hagg wanting to come to NA and the Flyers close relationship with Modo. I remember Hagg saying he wants to stay 1-2 years in Sweden then talk to management where to go from there. Plus, even if he was over hear already, he attended the prospect camp. Shows he wants to be here. When is the problem.

Old
02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The only thing I disagree with is the Hagg comment. The reason is Hagg wanting to come to NA and the Flyers close relationship with Modo. I remember Hagg saying he wants to stay 1-2 years in Sweden then talk to management where to go from there. Plus, even if he was over hear already, he attended the prospect camp. Shows he wants to be here. When is the problem.
I think Hagg stays at Modo until he is fully ready to jump right into the NHL. I cannot see it being better for him (personally or for hockey reasons) to spend time in the AHL. I think he's looking at 2 more years at Modo, but that is just a flat out guess. Who knows how he actually progresses as he ages.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:40 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Does anyone know if Hagg has been signed to an ELC?

Old
02-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Haven't seen anything on the matter. Still unsigned I believe.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Coffe

Quote:

He's not on the "non-roster players" list on Capgeek so I'm guessing he hasn't. Plus I haven't heard any news about it either.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:14 PM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Giroux setting up Gostisbehere on the PP should be fun to watch.

Old
02-19-2014, 05:54 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
No.

If I'm not mistaken they now have a 4 year window to sign him to one too. So they don't have to burn a year off his ELC if he isn't ready.

Old
02-19-2014, 08:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Morin with an assist tonight (26 points in 44 games).

Rimouski has 11 games left.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 02-19-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old
02-19-2014, 08:36 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Morin with an assist tonight (26 points in 44 games).
I was hoping for a multipoint night when I saw the score was 9-3 but, he was +4 which was the second highest plus minus on Rimouski this game, so overall not too shabby.

Old
02-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
I just hope he can turn into a great fourth line player, so that pick does not seem too bad. I like Goulbourne, but the problem for me is that when he was selected there were many other solid players on the board that still remained like Oliver Bjorkstrand. OB is a winger, which is our second biggest need and he has produced very well in the CHL. Instead we pick a fighter who might have been acquirable with our 5th round pick.
Yup. Bork is who I wanted. If Bjork never makes it, then I can say I was wrong. But he is the player I wanted us to pick at that time.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
I was hoping for a multipoint night when I saw the score was 9-3 but, he was +4 which was the second highest plus minus on Rimouski this game, so overall not too shabby.
The scoring wasn't really spread out too much tonight to be fair. They had 3 players who mostly had a hand in every goal.

Old
02-20-2014, 10:23 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Goulbourne scored his 12th goal & added an assist last night (30 points in 55 games).

Closed Thread