HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Cold War" | 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi | February 7-23 | Medal Count in Post #1

Old
02-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
So Glad for the Jones rink. If I had the option of choosing only one gold medal to win at these Olympics, it would have been this one. First women's rink to go undefeated at the Olympics, and the best of her generation now has the ultimate cherry on top.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 10:41 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
So Glad for the Jones rink. If I had the option of choosing only one gold medal to win at these Olympics, it would have been this one. First women's rink to go undefeated at the Olympics, and the best of her generation now has the ultimate cherry on top.
wow, you must REALLY love Jones

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Great performance by Jones as skip throughout the tournament. I really thought seveal times she bailed her club out of jams it didn't need to be in due to missed shots earlier in ends. Jones was really required to be the problem solver several times considering how many close calls and that she managed an undefeated record.

Just an excellent showing by Jones. I must have watched all the right stones but I never saw her miss a shot. She was throwing gold the whole tournament and in a different league than any of the other curlers.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
This just isn't true, otherwise 90% of the athletes who will never win a medal, wouldn't bother showing up. Many, if not most, are there to perhaps try and beat their own personal records, national records, or to take part in the grand spectacle that is the Olympics.

Yes, competition is massively important, but the nationalistic dick-wagging that goes on over combined medal totals misses the point by so much that it's hilarious.
Definitely. But Canada happens to be in a position where we send a large contingent of athletes who's "personal best" just so happens to result in a podium finish. As do the Americans, Russians, Germans, and few others in select sports.

The "dick-wagging" between the elite countries is simply a result of judging yourself against competitors of equal strength to you. There is no Canadian dick-wagging against Poland or Belarus.

Moments like the Peruvian cross country skier are fantastic. No denying it. But the context is what makes it so. It's almost unfathomable that somebody from Peru would complete an Olympic ski race, and it's judged and appreciated with that in mind. Snow-covered countries of the western hemisphere are rightfully judged with a different set of expectations. Whether or not those expectations are met just so happens to be quantified by the awarding of medals, hence the focus.

Old
02-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
wow, you must REALLY love Jones
She's been the female Kevin Martin over the last decade. A fantastic career regardless, but wouldn't be truly complete without an Olympic gold medal. And she was just fantastic this whole tournament, doing a lot of clean-up for teammates that had some frequent missed shots, as a great skip should do.

There is a lot of hullabaloo over hockey in this country, naturally. But in truth, we are more dominant when it comes to curling. And the curling Olympic gold is determined by a standard tournament. There's no denying the Olympic champion is the best. It's "legitimate" for lack of a better term. Hockey is decided by a very brief tournament in comparison to a typical domestic league championship. And Olympic gold is a very distant second to the Stanley Cup for any Canadian. So out of these two popular sports that we should be gold medal champions in, I place curling ahead of hockey in the Olympics.

As far as preferring Jones to Jacobs (if anyone wonders), the latter is pretty new to the big-time curling scene. Lack of an Olympic gold is not a "missing piece" of a great career at this point. And to be be honest, the Jacobs rink carries themselves in a rather unsportsmanlike manner and hardly endears themselves to the fans. I hope they win gold of course, but lets just say there will be no tears shed if they were to come up short.

Old
02-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
She's been the female Kevin Martin over the last decade. A fantastic career regardless, but wouldn't be truly complete without an Olympic gold medal. And she was just fantastic this whole tournament, doing a lot of clean-up for teammates that had some frequent missed shots, as a great skip should do.

There is a lot of hullabaloo over hockey in this country, naturally. But in truth, we are more dominant when it comes to curling. And the curling Olympic gold is determined by a standard tournament. There's no denying the Olympic champion is the best. It's "legitimate" for lack of a better term. Hockey is decided by a very brief tournament in comparison to a typical domestic league championship. And Olympic gold is a very distant second to the Stanley Cup for any Canadian. So out of these two popular sports that we should be gold medal champions in, I place curling ahead of hockey in the Olympics.

As far as preferring Jones to Jacobs (if anyone wonders), the latter is pretty new to the big-time curling scene. Lack of an Olympic gold is not a "missing piece" of a great career at this point. And to be be honest, the Jacobs rink carries themselves in a rather unsportsmanlike manner and hardly endears themselves to the fans. I hope they win gold of course, but lets just say there will be no tears shed if they were to come up short.
As far as Jacobs not the first curler to rub some the wrong way and won't be the last. Its part of the game and if he gets in anybodies head they have only themselves to blame. jmo

I understand theres a grassroots line in curling between playing recreational and a somewhat blurred distinction in when it gets competitive and bonspiel winning oriented and the friendliness and all but a lot of our Curlers, and certainly ones representing us internationally should be more than happy to have some rinks that rustle some feathers. Because you'll see that internationally from time to time so its good prep to have experienced it at home.

its part of the game, part of highly competitive sports. Adapt.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 11:28 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Kyle and Replacement summarized my thoughts on Canada and the Jones team winnign gold. Really happy for them, Jones obviously peaking at the right time in a stellar career.

And I agree, she bailed out her teammates a few times throughout the tournament - felt her 2nd & 3rds made a number of...imperfect shots, if not outright mistakes.

As far as Jacobs, I agree the Gold doesn't have as much urgency as it did for Jones this time around, or Kevin Martin last time.

And as far as rubbing people the wrong way, I'm pretty sure there's a whole bunch of people who don't like Kevin Martin.

I'd prefer winning over being everyone's friend, as Replacement stated.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
As far as Jacobs not the first curler to rub some the wrong way and won't be the last. Its part of the game and if he gets in anybodies head they have only themselves to blame. jmo

I understand theres a grassroots line in curling between playing recreational and a somewhat blurred distinction in when it gets competitive and bonspiel winning oriented and the friendliness and all but a lot of our Curlers, and certainly ones representing us internationally should be more than happy to have some rinks that rustle some feathers. Because you'll see that internationally from time to time so its good prep to have experienced it at home.

its part of the game, part of highly competitive sports. Adapt.
The Jacobs rink is different though. A TON of people are finding it hard to root for him after the way his rink has conducted itself. The constant broom smashing, rock kicking, and swearing after every less than perfect shot has grown old in a hurry. There is a general lack of respect for both opponents and the game itself when it comes this crew. This isn't to say nobody has ever smacked their broom or let out an f-bomb after a bad shot, but it's constant and over the top in this case. Never quite seen anything like it. As somebody in the Olympic forum put it perfectly, "they seem like guys who drive around in big trucks with balls hanging off the hitch".

Old
02-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Tw0Shoes

Quote:
Moments like the Peruvian cross country skier are fantastic. No denying it. But the context is what makes it so. It's almost unfathomable that somebody from Peru would complete an Olympic ski race, and it's judged and appreciated with that in mind. Snow-covered countries of the western hemisphere are rightfully judged with a different set of expectations. Whether or not those expectations are met just so happens to be quantified by the awarding of medals, hence the focus.
Peru IS a snow covered country in the western hemisphere.
Geography.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Tough for Groenewoud, seems like she fell during her run, but well done seeing as she's coming back from double knee surgery.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
Peru IS a snow covered country in the western hemisphere.
Geography.
I think you know what I meant.

Old
02-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Kyle and Replacement summarized my thoughts on Canada and the Jones team winnign gold. Really happy for them, Jones obviously peaking at the right time in a stellar career.

And I agree, she bailed out her teammates a few times throughout the tournament - felt her 2nd & 3rds made a number of...imperfect shots, if not outright mistakes.

As far as Jacobs, I agree the Gold doesn't have as much urgency as it did for Jones this time around, or Kevin Martin last time.

And as far as rubbing people the wrong way, I'm pretty sure there's a whole bunch of people who don't like Kevin Martin.

I think you mean Randy Ferbey.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post

Yeah, Martin and Jones will end up with similar legacies. Right down to the people who dislike them over their lineup shuffling.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:46 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I think you mean Randy Ferbey.

Him too.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

I don't know about anyone else, but I was sorta hoping that Russian women's team would have made it a little further

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 05:04 AM
Ser Woof
**** The Lounge

GOLD AND SILVER! Thompson and Serwa in women's ski cross!

Awesome! Way to go girls!

Last edited by Ser Woof: 02-21-2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: names in the wrong order
Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 05:05 AM
#ualberta

Gold and silver from Canadian women at the ski cross

Woooooooooooioo

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 05:37 AM
#ualberta

That gold and silver pushes Canada to second on the medal table

Ahead of the US

Wooooooooooooo

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 06:43 AM
SephF
See you next time

The Canadian women are kicking ass this year, good job girls.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:22 AM
oilphan

In retrospect, do you think Yak is happy he wasn't on the Russian team? Or do you think he still wishes he was?

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:28 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
In retrospect, do you think Yak is happy he wasn't on the Russian team? Or do you think he still wishes he was?
I'd assume he'd probably still want to be there. Especially being a goal scorer that could've maybe helped Russia score more than one against the Finn's.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Jacobs is commanding a pretty solid lead. 6-1 at the End 5. Great Britian doesn't seem to have the same accuracy as Canada. I think we got this in the bag.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Jacobs is commanding a pretty solid lead. 6-1 at the End 5. Great Britian doesn't seem to have the same accuracy as Canada. I think we got this in the bag.
No doubt, he's put himself in a great spot. That's stepping up in a Big spot, well done. Here's hoping he can ride the lead he's earned himself.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
8-2 now for Jacobs now. Canada is set for double gold in curling.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

And there you have it. Another Gold medal. Team Jacobs with the 8-3 win and we are now #1 in Men and Womens Curling. Let's do it for Hockey now!

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote