HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Forsberg(again, rumors)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I think we have the pieces to make this deal happen without letting go of Suter or Radulov. But if it takes Radulov to land Forsberg and Poile is convinced that Forsberg is the missing link, then adios Alexander. The Cup is ALL that matters here. A healthy Forsberg gives us three nasty lines to play with. You could put an ape on the wing of Forsberg and Hartnell and that line would produce.
No doubt that I would trade a great prospect for Forsberg if we felt that it would take us over the top. We may never, get this opportunity again. But if I'm Poile, I do what I can to not put Radulov in the deal. Simply for the depth in defensive prospects in regards to our "offensive" prospects. Especially if Kariya and Hartnell walk this summer.

Old
02-11-2007, 06:11 PM
darth5
No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I think we have the pieces to make this deal happen without letting go of Suter or Radulov. But if it takes Radulov to land Forsberg and Poile is convinced that Forsberg is the missing link, then adios Alexander. The Cup is ALL that matters here. A healthy Forsberg gives us three nasty lines to play with. You could put an ape on the wing of Forsberg and Hartnell and that line would produce.
Then I would rather kiss a 'chance' at a cup run now GOODBYE. I want the team to be better, yes, but not at the cost of a key building block. Patient Poile doesn't strike me as willing to give up so much of the future. At least I hope not...

Old
02-11-2007, 06:23 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds_wizard View Post
Then I would rather kiss a 'chance' at a cup run now GOODBYE. I want the team to be better, yes, but not at the cost of a key building block. Patient Poile doesn't strike me as willing to give up so much of the future. At least I hope not...
I'm somewhere in the middle. While I don't advocate trading Radulov or Suter...I see people freaking out over the idea of trading Franson...who will be a GOOD pro, but by no means the star a Weber or a Suter could be.

We have all these blocks, and realistically, are ALL of them going to play for us? How often does that even happen. I think this is the first time that we've reached a VERY rare crux in hockey...the point when we're possibly a single piece away from being a slam-dunk contender. Forsberg could TOPPLE us over that edge...and if Franson or even Parent is what it takes...we have enough assets to cover that.

Old
02-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree. What are we building for? We're sitting as one of the "best" teams in the league (at least point wise). We may never get this chance again. A first round exit this year would be a disaster for this franchise in many, many ways.

We've put a great team together thus far. However, say we lose in first or second round. Then Kariya, Hartnell and Timonen walk this summer. Then we pickup a few injuries next year and fail to make the playoffs. Chances at winning the cup don't come all that often.

While I don't think our city will really care one way or the other, I'd like to think a deep playoff run would be good for our fan base. If anything, it helps Leipold's pocket book, perhaps delaying our move a few years. Who knows, perhaps we land Forsberg, win the cup and our attendance goes up for a while.

I know that Forsberg isn't a guaranteed parade. But adding a guy who when healthy is one of the best players in the world would be a good thing.

Its a giant risk. Do we either sit on our hands and think this team has what it takes to bring it all home? Or do we trade a bit of our future for Forsberg and hope that he helps us this offseason. And even if we trade for Forsberg, he could get injured his first game and we lose in the playoffs and Philly enjoys Radulov or Parent for a long time.

Right now, with how good this team is and with our struggles to put butts in the seats, the payoff could be huge.

Say we don't go for it all and lose. Our attendance continues to suck and Leipold moves the team. I could care less if Radulov is still in the franchise at that point. There may not be a future for us.

All things said above, I'd do what I could if I was Poile to not include Radulov considering our amount of defensive prospects.

Old
02-11-2007, 06:33 PM
darth5
No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I'm somewhere in the middle. While I don't advocate trading Radulov or Suter...I see people freaking out over the idea of trading Franson...who will be a GOOD pro, but by no means the star a Weber or a Suter could be.

We have all these blocks, and realistically, are ALL of them going to play for us? How often does that even happen. I think this is the first time that we've reached a VERY rare crux in hockey...the point when we're possibly a single piece away from being a slam-dunk contender. Forsberg could TOPPLE us over that edge...and if Franson or even Parent is what it takes...we have enough assets to cover that.
OK, I did not mean to imply that I did not want to trade ANY prospects. I could live with trading Franson, Klein, maybe (gulp) even Parent. Not Weber, not Radulov, not Suter.

Old
02-11-2007, 06:35 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
OK, I did not mean to imply that I did not want to trade ANY prospects. I could live with trading Franson, Klein, maybe (gulp) even Parent. Not Weber, not Radulov, not Suter.
And I think most teams in the "race" are in that same boat. No one can afford to trade a key roster player. If my money is on someone to get this deal done, it's either Parent or Franson and a pick\spare forward. I could live with either.

Old
02-11-2007, 06:49 PM
polar bear

I agree that Radulov is to much to ask for, that would be the beginning of the end if he we demanded he be included.

I also agree that a package of a young defensive prospect (Parent,Franson, Klein), Upshall and a 1st get this done. That seems like a very reasonable deal which would make sense from both sides given their current situations. Philly gets the building blocks they need and Nash gets the player to help put them over the top without disrupting their curent roster. Nash also has the depth in their system to handle the loss of those young players.

I think these two teams make the most sense for a deal regarding Forsberg.

Old
02-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

That actually is probably a package comparable to what it would have taken to land Chris Pronger this off-season. Forsberg is a superstar, and his place in the trade market is rare, etc. However, he has so many signficant issues attached to his health that this deal is not a slam dunk.

Forsberg's ankles aren't the only part on him that seem to fall apart at the slightest touch, his groin tears as easily as paper. The groin and ankle issues can be dated back to the Colorado days, and they are only growing in frequency and pain. This is a signficant risk, despite the talent that Forsberg brings.

Would I trade a high draft pick and an Upshall/solid defensive prospect? Yes, but I think asking for that in addition to another prized prospect might be pushing it considering all the issues involved. Maybe its not.....we will find out.

02-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Jarnberg

Parent, Upshall and a conditional 1st, which depends on how many games are played by Forsberg.

Old
02-11-2007, 07:41 PM
RaiderDoug

No Suter, No Weber, No Radulov.

Any other prospect or pick (or reasonable collection of) is fair game when trying to get Forsberg.

Old
02-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

This is why you stock up on other areas, so that you can trade for the pieces you need without said areas being dried out

I really honestly believe it'll be one of Parent/Klein/Franson and a first rounder ... AND maybe one other cheap roster player

Old
02-11-2007, 10:36 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

rumor going around is Weber +, all I can say is good luck to Philly. Not a chance in hell.. right?

Old
02-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
rumor going around is Weber +, all I can say is good luck to Philly. Not a chance in hell.. right?
that's what I'd like to say back to Philly ... if that is the asking price

Old
02-11-2007, 10:40 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
I think that's mostly wishful Flyers fans. Eklund(a flyers fan himself) is pushing Radulov, but I don't think the Flyers are getting anyone of that caliber from any team.

Franson or Parent is more likely.

Old
02-11-2007, 10:42 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

I was thinking something around Parent and a high pick.

The Canucks could throw together a similar offer but we would have to send Philly a bum like Chouinard to send some salary back. Should be a fun few weeks here.

Old
02-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Holmgren is an abitious ****-tard if that's what he's asking for.

Old
02-11-2007, 10:48 PM
braindead

I think Laakso gets put in as part of the deal since the Flyers would have a better chance of signing him this summer (given our depth I think he would look to pursue other options). I also think it will be more than Klein and less than Parent and include multiple draft picks, so.....

Laakso, Franson, 2nd, 2nd (and maybe a throw in of a foreign bit player with something interesting going on like Niko Snellman).

Old
02-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I think Laakso gets put in as part of the deal since the Flyers would have a better chance of signing him this summer (given our depth I think he would look to pursue other options). I also think it will be more than Klein and less than Parent and include multiple draft picks, so.....

Laakso, Franson, 2nd, 2nd (and maybe a throw in of a foreign bit player with something interesting going on like Niko Snellman).
quality > quantity

Old
02-11-2007, 10:53 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post

I think it would have to revolve around Parent. Franson is a stud but has some question marks with his defensive play and skating. I don't know a ton about Laakso so I won't pretend to make any judgements there.

Old
02-12-2007, 07:49 AM
RollingPredFan

I think we'd all love to have Forsberg... I wonder though if practically we would be better suited to get another player like Sillinger though.

And why would we give up Weber that would hurt our chances to win not help LOL

Old
02-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Testify

I dont want us to trade suter, weber or radulov for a rental Forsberg. plz noooo

I could live, like most of us, with dealing Parent or Klein.

Like I said before, the deal for Forsberg will be sooo overpriced, I dont want/think Poile would do something like that. Well, here again I hope!

Would love to see Peter in a pred uniform tho

Old
02-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
I think it would have to revolve around Parent. Franson is a stud but has some question marks with his defensive play and skating. I don't know a ton about Laakso so I won't pretend to make any judgements there.
Of all the defensive prospects we have, Parent is the least likely to get moved. He is our purest defensive defenseman. I doubt we move him.

Franson is a terrific skater.....I'm not sure where you read he had problems with his skating because he absolutely does not.

Old
02-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Of all the defensive prospects we have, Parent is the least likely to get moved. He is our purest defensive defenseman. I doubt we move him.

Franson is a terrific skater.....I'm not sure where you read he had problems with his skating because he absolutely does not.
But he's the one with the most trade value as well. If we want to get Forsberg without giving up Weber, Radulov, Suter, etc. then Parent will almost have to be in the deal.

When we drafted him, we took the best player available. Poile took him for this very reason, in case we needed to trade some assets.

I'd love to see Parent in Nashville, but we have enough defensive prospects to cover a loss in that area.

Old
02-12-2007, 09:43 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Oh and just so I'm on 'record' - I don't want Forsberg. I'd rather we go after someone to fit the third line efficiently than to bump Leggy and Arnott down.

Old
02-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
But he's the one with the most trade value as well. If we want to get Forsberg without giving up Weber, Radulov, Suter, etc. then Parent will almost have to be in the deal.

When we drafted him, we took the best player available. Poile took him for this very reason, in case we needed to trade some assets.

I'd love to see Parent in Nashville, but we have enough defensive prospects to cover a loss in that area.
I think Franson and Klein both offer almost identical value to Parent. Franson has tons of offensive potential in a huge frame, Klein is NHL ready and has the makings of a fast-skating, two way, top 4 defenseman.

Closed Thread