HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stralman: Rangers *might* start talking extension over Olympic break

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2014, 06:04 PM
  #51
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,608
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I can find very little evidence to substantiate this claim, to be honest. Stralman has been good for us, after bombing out at Toronto, Columbus, and then failing to get a roster spot on the Devils blueline. In his last 100+ games here he has 14 points. If you look at time on ice, PK responsibility, ect over the past half decade, Klein has him.

It's pretty clear that Stralman has evolved into a defensive defenseman, but he isn't as good at it as Klein. You play Klein with Marc Staal right now and he'll look pretty good as well.
Klein's been a puck possession nightmare. In the four seasons prior ending in 2012-13, Klein has played over 100 minutes with 12 different defensemen. 10 of them posted worse possession numbers with Klein than without.

__________________
Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 12:57 AM
  #52
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Klein's been a puck possession nightmare. In the four seasons prior ending in 2012-13, Klein has played over 100 minutes with 12 different defensemen. 10 of them posted worse possession numbers with Klein than without.
Exactly. This is why Strålman is so valuable. He can actually move the puck, which both Klein and Girardi are horrible at. As how the game is played today, having D-men who can move the puck and skate is incredibly important, that's how you get puck control and create pressure.

Re-signing Strålman is a no-brainer. You know what you get from him and that's exactly what you want from a player, you don't want to roll the dice and see what kind of player shows up at game night. I'm actually kind of surprised he gets no chance at the PP, as he's the least afraid to launch a slapper of all our D-men.

On a side note, who is the man who shows up on the highlight reels when it comes to big hits? Strålman. Just sign him. He's a late bloomer and found his stability as a hockey player in NY, don't throw that away for nothing. Another fun fact: he's a 7th rounder.


Last edited by Chimp: 02-11-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 04:40 AM
  #53
Sticky Fingers
Registered User
 
Sticky Fingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I don''t think Stralman does anything that Allen won't be able to with a year of training. He isn't Girardi, and we have Klein locked up on the right for cheap.

Not saying we shouldn't re-sign him, but it wouldn't be a tragedy if we went with Girardi.
If Allen can turn into a second pairing guy averaging 20 min/night in a year I'd thrilled.

Signing Stralman should be done because he will most likely come cheap for what he brings. I can imagine him being willing to not take it to UFA just because he's been a journeyman his whole career. I can see him take a "discount" to stay a Ranger. If Allen is ready in one year, you trade one of them. Win win.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:06 PM
  #54
RonGreschner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Resign Stralman trade Girardi and bring up Allen.

RonGreschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:52 PM
  #55
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
All the link says is Stralman says there's a chance there may be some negotiations over the break.

Everyone whines about Slats and his reclamation projects, but when those succeed (Jagr, Stralman, Pouliot), who remembers that we got these players for nothing or next to nothing? Everyone, including Slats, knows that most reclamation projects will fail, but it's worth trying because at the end, you still wind up with a few good players you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 10:20 PM
  #56
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGreschner View Post
Resign Stralman trade Girardi and bring up Allen.
Replacing G with Allen will make the team significantly worse.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 01:33 PM
  #57
rangersfan9
Registered User
 
rangersfan9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Replacing G with Allen will make the team significantly worse.
This.

Somehow people think that Stralman can just magically evolve into a first pair RHD. The Rangers have no shot this year if they trade Girardi. Trading Callahan wouldn't kill our chances. He is a third line RW. You can just plug JT Miller into that role and he will do fine.

rangersfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 01:36 PM
  #58
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,608
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Everyone whines about Slats and his reclamation projects, but when those succeed (Jagr, Stralman, Pouliot), who remembers that we got these players for nothing or next to nothing? Everyone, including Slats, knows that most reclamation projects will fail, but it's worth trying because at the end, you still wind up with a few good players you wouldn't have had otherwise.
Pouliot certainly isn't a reclamation project.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 01:37 PM
  #59
NYRKindms
Registered User
 
NYRKindms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Everyone whines about Slats and his reclamation projects, but when those succeed (Jagr, Stralman, Pouliot), who remembers that we got these players for nothing or next to nothing? Everyone, including Slats, knows that most reclamation projects will fail, but it's worth trying because at the end, you still wind up with a few good players you wouldn't have had otherwise.
Jagr ? I don't think so. The guy is a generational talent. Slats had nothing to do with Jagrs success except hiring him

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:52 PM
  #60
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15
 
EuroFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: west coast
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 50
He should be resigned, he isn't the best but he has found a perfect role here in NY and is simply put doing a good job don't throw that away just for replacing him with another FA (Strålman is one of few who has panned out) or a rookie before whomever forcing himself into the line up. He shouldn't be expensive to resign. Decent trade bait.


Last edited by EuroFlair: 02-20-2014 at 05:08 PM.
EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 05:10 PM
  #61
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeit View Post
He should be resigned, he isn't the best but he has found a perfect role here in NY and is simply put doing a good job don't throw that away just for replacing him with another FA (Strålman is one of few who has panned out) or a rookie before whomever forcing himself into the line up. He shouldn't be expensive to resign. Decent trade bait.
I think he should but he won't be. Girardi resigned, Klein, mcilrath for next yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 05:19 PM
  #62
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15
 
EuroFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: west coast
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think he should but he won't be. Girardi resigned, Klein, mcilrath for next yr
Yeah can not say if I would surprised if let go this summer but then again I think is a stupid waste of an asset. McIlrath will get his looks but so far hes not looked ready if he proves himself, great find a taker for Klein or Strålman and get something in return.

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:36 PM
  #63
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan9 View Post
This.

Somehow people think that Stralman can just magically evolve into a first pair RHD. The Rangers have no shot this year if they trade Girardi. Trading Callahan wouldn't kill our chances. He is a third line RW. You can just plug JT Miller into that role and he will do fine.
Callahan is 2nd on the team in minutes among forwards. He's nowhere close to being a 3rd liner.

slipknottin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:37 PM
  #64
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,612
vCash: 500
So what kind of deal is Stralman going to get?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 09:01 PM
  #65
Lindberg Cheese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
So what kind of deal is Stralman going to get?
3.5 x 3??

Lindberg Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 09:36 PM
  #66
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.
 
SwedishBullet62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,723
vCash: 500
If the money is there sign everyone (Girardi & Stralman) dont give Mcilrath or Allen a spot coming into camp make them fight and displace someone, if they bounce one of Klein or Stralman out of the lineup than that money spent will turn into some kind of asset in a trade. If we dont blow our cap on Stastny the money will be there to resign Stralman to a reasonable deal. Letting Stralman walk at this point would be asinine, hes got a handful of kids and would probably sacrifice some money for term security, give it to him he deserves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Pouliot certainly isn't a reclamation project.
Exactly, hes been a streaky 30-40 point winger his entire career, which is exactly what were getting, people thinking we pulled this guy out of the scrap heap and got more than anyone else did are ridiculous


Last edited by SwedishBullet62: 02-20-2014 at 09:43 PM.
SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 06:58 AM
  #67
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 View Post
Exactly, hes been a streaky 30-40 point winger his entire career, which is exactly what were getting, people thinking we pulled this guy out of the scrap heap and got more than anyone else did are ridiculous
Eh? He has hit 30 twice in his career and has never been close to 40.

slipknottin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 07:33 AM
  #68
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,748
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 View Post
Exactly, hes been a streaky 30-40 point winger his entire career, which is exactly what were getting, people thinking we pulled this guy out of the scrap heap and got more than anyone else did are ridiculous
Reclamation project probably isn't the right term, as that implies that he was once an established player that fell into tough times. He's always been kind of an enigma.

I think the term "reclamation project" has evolved into something people use when they talk about a player that is brought in for cheap who hasn't fulfilled his perceived potential. It's not appropriate within the literal definition of reclamation, but I think the intention is understood.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:23 AM
  #69
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,359
vCash: 500
Yeah, reclamation project implies he was once at a certain level and we were going to attempt to get him back to that level. He's an entirely different player than he was previously. A pretty good defensive-minded defender who is decent with the puck on his stick. He used to be an offensive producer from the back end with limited defensive ability. Quite the change.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:32 AM
  #70
Colby
HFB Partner
 
Colby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I can find very little evidence to substantiate this claim, to be honest. Stralman has been good for us, after bombing out at Toronto, Columbus, and then failing to get a roster spot on the Devils blueline. In his last 100+ games here he has 14 points. If you look at time on ice, PK responsibility, ect over the past half decade, Klein has him.

It's pretty clear that Stralman has evolved into a defensive defenseman, but he isn't as good at it as Klein. You play Klein with Marc Staal right now and he'll look pretty good as well.
Hockey is a territorial game. I think Stralman is better than Klein at moving the puck out of his own zone and moving the puck into the other team's zone. Even if Stralman's not the one racking up the points, by virtue of having the puck in the other team's zone 55% of the time as opposed to Klein's 45%, it gives their teammates a better chance of generating offense (and decreases the chances of the other team doing so).

And for the Staal comment, with the caveat that possession numbers aren't everything, the numbers point to Stralman being the one driving the possession for that pairing -- when they're on the ice together they have a 56.8 Corsi%, when they're apart from one another, Stralman is at 55.1% and Staal is at 45.8%.

Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:43 AM
  #71
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,263
vCash: 500
There's not a lot out there in free agency. The cap is going up. Some people say sign Stastny. Stastny might not reach free agency and he'll have offers from around the league if he does. Ditto with Vanek. Want either?--and you'll have to win a bidding war and Stastny though very good is not elite and Vanek though closer really isn't either. IMO there's similarities to him, Gaborik and Nash.

So yeah I think we could probably more than afford to bring back both Girardi and Stralman if we wanted and depending on the term I don't think that would be a bad way to go. At least we'll have an idea of what we're getting and we won't be overpaying for the Grabovski's and Moulson's.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 04:31 PM
  #72
rangersfan9
Registered User
 
rangersfan9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Callahan is 2nd on the team in minutes among forwards. He's nowhere close to being a 3rd liner.
He plays on the third line though. With Nash and Zucc, there is no room for Callahan on either of the top two lines.

rangersfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 05:03 PM
  #73
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan9 View Post
He plays on the third line though. With Nash and Zucc, there is no room for Callahan on either of the top two lines.
Except he is getting the 2nd most minutes. So there is apparently plenty of ice time for him to get.

slipknottin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 06:31 PM
  #74
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,903
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
So what kind of deal is Stralman going to get?
I'm thinking 3.33-3.75 for 4-5 yrs... that's not a major discount, he's worth 4 tops.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 01:59 AM
  #75
5 4 Fighting
Big member
 
5 4 Fighting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bk all day
Country: United States
Posts: 4,205
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
There's not a lot out there in free agency. The cap is going up. Some people say sign Stastny. Stastny might not reach free agency and he'll have offers from around the league if he does. Ditto with Vanek. Want either?--and you'll have to win a bidding war and Stastny though very good is not elite and Vanek though closer really isn't either. IMO there's similarities to him, Gaborik and Nash.

So yeah I think we could probably more than afford to bring back both Girardi and Stralman if we wanted and depending on the term I don't think that would be a bad way to go. At least we'll have an idea of what we're getting and we won't be overpaying for the Grabovski's and Moulson's.
Problem is Vanek is a much better playmaker than both of them put together. He is a very under appreciated player in the league. 40-40. Guy.

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.