HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/LAK] Oilers acquire Ben Scrivens for 3rd round pick

Old
01-16-2014, 04:27 PM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Likely. Desperate move by a desperate man.

He is finding out that he has very few options.

Nobody of any worth is willing to come here if they have a choice J Schultz notwithstanding. Not easy to build a team that lacks veteran presence under those circumstances.

You are pretty much left with the draft and other team's garbage.
Pretty much spot on here IATL. This team has few options left. Throw massive money at FAs or hope the recently drafted players turn this thing around themselves.

God this is depressing.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Mr Positive
Four-NinetySeven-Ten

vCash: 2000
At the very least, Scrivens seems much more suited to our team than Dubnyk. For us lateral movement and skill is worth more than surface area.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 04:32 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Pretty much spot on here IATL. This team has few options left. Throw massive money at FAs or hope the recently drafted players turn this thing around themselves.

God this is depressing.
The worst part is there isn't a lot of hope down the pipeline. The Oilers drafting at least to me is beginning to look a bit suspect as I don't see a lot of up arrows for anyone. I really liked Lander for one when we drafted him, but I never realized until watching him was how slow and what little offence he brings.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 04:33 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
At the very least, Scrivens seems much more suited to our team than Dubnyk. For us lateral movement and skill is worth more than surface area.
He might look bigger in the net as well.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dem

If we can't keep the puck in the oppositions end for sustained periods... no goalie is going to help us.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:

God this is depressing.
We as fans need to lower expectations.

Another two or three years of suckage AFTER this season.

We should have enough talent acquired through the draft to compete at that time.

The only fly in the ointment will be if we start getting trade demands from the likes of Hall, Nuge, Yak etc.

If that happens then all bets are off.

It looks like management/coaching is here to stay for the duration. Unless the "Lowe must go" movement really takes off.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 04:37 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola1279 View Post
The worst part is there isn't a lot of hope down the pipeline. The Oilers drafting at least to me is beginning to look a bit suspect as I don't see a lot of up arrows for anyone. I really liked Lander for one when we drafted him, but I never realized until watching him was how slow and what little offence he brings.
We arent really hurting for offense, at least as far as forwards go. Everything else is what we need. We have some of that on the way. Gernat, Musil, Marincin, Nurse, Ekblad (possibly), Davidson, Fedun on defense and Ewanyk, Moroz, Kessy, (size and grit up front).

We are weak as far as goalie an center prospects go. That will likely be the focus of the next couple of drafts (center). Not sure what their plan is for goal. Looks like they are trying to find a diamond in the rough, aka another Roloson. That's a pretty low percentage play imo.

Old
01-16-2014, 04:40 PM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Quote:
We as fans need to lower expectations.

Another two or three years of suckage AFTER this season.

We should have enough talent acquired through the draft to compete at that time.

The only fly in the ointment will be if we start getting trade demands from the likes of Hall, Nuge, Yak etc.

If that happens then all bets are off.

It looks like management/coaching is here to stay for the duration. Unless the "Lowe must go" movement really takes off.
Trade demands from the draftees at some point in the future seems to be an inevitability.

Old
01-16-2014, 04:42 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Trade demands from the draftees at some point in the future seems to be an inevitability.
One would think so, but maybe they are happy running things here? They seem to have all their buds here and are in charge of their own little fiefdom. Maybe they dont want to venture into the unknown and give that up?

Old
01-16-2014, 04:54 PM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Quote:
One would think so, but maybe they are happy running things here? They seem to have all their buds here and are in charge of their own little fiefdom. Maybe they dont want to venture into the unknown and give that up?
Ok, that's probably the worse case scenario. The kids being happy enough just getting rich and fat playing for a team they control. Especially if they don't care what the results are.

Yup, I'm thoroughly depressed now.

Old
01-16-2014, 05:02 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'd be much more wary of the Scrivens move if he was coming right from Toronto - in fact, i was a little surprised Bernier went from LA in that move.

Now that he's had half a season working with Ranford and they've worked on his technique, I'm more optimistic.

And if it bombs terribly, we're out a 3rd round pick who wouldn't likely have amounted to anything anyway.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:08 AM
Komarov47

I think his lateral move were really quick, i liked the way he played. A lot quicker than Bryzgalov.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Oil In My Veins

Thought this was an interesting read from Jen Scrivens and I'd share it here. This is just a blurb:

'A lot of people ask how much warning Ben gets before a trade. That day, he was already seated on the Kings plane to St. Louis when his coach told him. He grabbed his bag and left. It’s that simple. From the moment he found out, maybe half an hour passed before the deal was announced on Twitter. He was given just enough time to return home, pack a bigger bag and catch a different plane to meet the Oilers in Minnesota.'

http://theroyalhalf.com/trading-places-jen-scrivens/

Oil In My Veins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:55 PM
oiler-dude

Interesting that her first guess in the offseason when Ben told her he was traded, was Edmonton. Seems she's embraced the move, which is nice to see. Hope Scrivens re-signs!

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:44 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
Interesting that her first guess in the offseason when Ben told her he was traded, was Edmonton. Seems she's embraced the move, which is nice to see. Hope Scrivens re-signs!
I'm assuming that was because it was one of the best places for him to come career wise.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 09:08 AM
LTIR

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'm assuming that was because it was one of the best places for him to come career wise.
I am assuming she wanted to get her worst fear out of the way first.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Tw0Shoes

God you guys are depressing.
Most likely it was the way he asked the question.. GUESS WHERE WE'RE GOING?
Really there were 2 options, his hometown or hers.
Jesus.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Dabomb

I'm not sure if Scrivens is our answer in goal but the feeling and confidence I have in our goaltending right now is probably at the highest its been in a very long time. REALLY hoping he will re-sign here.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Judging by his technique and competitiveness, I believe he is the answer. MacT needs to write that cheque on or before March 5th, and spend every waking moment after pursuing NHL defensemen.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:18 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

vCash: 50
If MacT gave both Scrivens and Bryz 3 year deals at $2.5 million each per year and they both accepted those deals... would everyone here be happy with those contracts?

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
If MacT gave both Scrivens and Bryz 3 year deals at $2.5 million each per year and they both accepted those deals... would everyone here be happy with those contracts?
I think the jury is still out on Bryzgalov. He shows a lot of fight and the skill is there, but he's sloppy and too emotional. Have to see if he can shake the rust by the end of the season. If not, I don't think he's a good fit as a tandem starter.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Or the Eakins connection.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'd be happier with a 2-year deal for Bryz, but the money is right as spending a total of $5M on capable goaltending would be nice.

Oil In My Veins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 10:52 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola1279 View Post
In Lander's defense, he has never been given the chance to play more than a fourth line role in the NHL, and he's scoring in buckets in the AHL right now. He isn't the best skater, true, but I would like to see him given a chance before we write off his offense.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:43 AM
mangdas

Someone mentioned a few posts ago that the pipeline is pretty thin for goalies with the Oilers. Don't forget that the Canucks got Lack and Eriksson from over in Sweden. I suppose that has more to do with pro scouting but still hope that the Oilers can get some good goalies in the system.

mangdas is offline   Reply With Quote