HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers blew it by not selecting Maatta

Old
02-18-2014, 05:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Maata is a Joni Pitkanen clone. Flyers would have ruined him anyhow
I know you're joking but the Flyers didn't ruin Pitkanen. He was talented as could be & it showed in first few years here but unfortunately he was very fragile mentally.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Unstable

I wonder if there's some bias among fans. I wanted them to draft Hamilton, but have been very happy with Couts. I also wanted them to draft Maata.

But as I reflect on it, I think that in both years I did a lot more reading about defensive prospects than forwards, because I thought the team needed a good defenseman in the first place.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Rolex

At some point in time, one of Brayden Schenn, Couturier or Laughton will probably be dealt for a defenseman. Let's just see who that guy will be before condemning the Flyers for not taking Maatta. Draft choices and players are assets that get moved around. It's who they can be used to obtain that matters. If the Schenn brothers can be swapped out for an Enstrom or some other similar player who could be a top pair guy, then what? The Flyers probably thought that Maatta was a good defenseman but not a top pairing player. Perhaps one of the surplus young centers and a defenseman can get that guy.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 10:37 AM
FlyingSlovak

Remember when the Flyers picked Laughton and Maatta was still available. I was so pissed, because I had no clue who this Laughton kid was. On one Slovak board we (flyers fans) were mocked around for that. They even renamed him to LoLton

But I am not going to judge this early in their careers. A lot of time to prove for both of them. On the other hand, with our logjam at center, we could really use a player like Maatta right about now.

FlyingSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Schmidty324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
At some point in time, one of Brayden Schenn, Couturier or Laughton will probably be dealt for a defenseman. Let's just see who that guy will be before condemning the Flyers for not taking Maatta. Draft choices and players are assets that get moved around. It's who they can be used to obtain that matters. If the Schenn brothers can be swapped out for an Enstrom or some other similar player who could be a top pair guy, then what? The Flyers probably thought that Maatta was a good defenseman but not a top pairing player. Perhaps one of the surplus young centers and a defenseman can get that guy.
I would love to get an Enstrom.

Schmidty324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 06:16 AM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
Maatta should have been and will always be the right pick unless Laughton can turn into a two way +60pts center

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:40 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
Maatta should have been and will always be the right pick unless Laughton can turn into a two way +60pts center
While I would have liked to see them take Maatta as well, the kid has played half an NHL season. It's not like he's winning Norris trophies or anything. He could just as easily fall off the map after the break. Let's give Laughton a chance to play in the NHL before we start make such black and white, conclusory statements.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
While I would have liked to see them take Maatta as well, the kid has played half an NHL season. It's not like he's winning Norris trophies or anything. He could just as easily fall off the map after the break. Let's give Laughton a chance to play in the NHL before we start make such black and white, conclusory statements.
I agree it is too early, but FOR ME, I wanted Matta at that pick. Much like I wanted Hagg when we got him, and when I wanted Bjork. when we took Goul. I also wanted Hamilton...until Couts slipped, then I felt they had to take him with the upside he showed in the Q.

It WILL be years before we know who the right pick was. But seeing a pick we could have easily had, be in the Olympics playing big minutes for one of the "Big 6" teams, makes Laughton seemlike the wrong pick. Especially when we need good young D.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Reaper1097

Quote:
I agree with this.

On another note, do you think Maatta would've been the pick if he were North American? I still think flyers brass have an issue with European players, especially Dmen.

But that is just my opinion

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 08:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
I agree with this.

On another note, do you think Maatta would've been the pick if he were North American? I still think flyers brass have an issue with European players, especially Dmen.

He was playing in Canada. Wasn't an issue when they picked Sbisa.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
I agree with this.

Not at all. He was playing in london, a team the flyers are very familiar with, and he would have had a couple of years to learn from fellow countryman Kimmo.

If we had maatta right now we would be sitting pretty.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 07:40 PM
FlyingPhilly

How about we not jump the gun on Maata? He has not even played a full season in the NHL yet and some of these comments are hilarious.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
How about we not jump the gun on Maata? He has not even played a full season in the NHL yet and some of these comments are hilarious.
the hilarious thing is picking another center when you already have 3 and you leave a guy who was ranked above Trouba,Pouliot,Reinhart,Dumba

and the other hilarious thing is that you sign another center the next year.

i'm starting to think that they never planned on picking a Dman that year in the 1st rd since their main targets were Teravainen,Wilson.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
the hilarious thing is picking another center when you already have 3 and you leave a guy who was ranked above Trouba,Pouliot,Reinhart,Dumba

and the other hilarious thing is that you sign another center the next year.

i'm starting to think that they never planned on picking a Dman that year in the 1st rd since their main targets were Teravainen,Wilson.
Where did you get that from. If I remember correctly, Trouba/Reinhart were the best of the group.

Also, just because scouting agencies had him ahead of certain players, doesn't mean the Flyers did. One thing that is being overlooked is how well the Flyers draft forwards and see potential.

It's just far too early to even call Maata a top pairing all around defender or to even compare the two. He plays 17 minutes a night on a stacked team.

Let's get back to this in 4 years.

Bejesus, forgot about Murray.

Last edited by Prongo: 02-24-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Where did you get that from. If I remember correctly, Trouba/Reinhart were the best of the group.

Also, just because scouting agencies had him ahead of certain players, doesn't mean the Flyers did. One thing that is being overlooked is how well the Flyers draft forwards and see potential.

It's just far too early to even call Maata a top pairing all around defender or to even compare the two. He plays 17 minutes a night on a stacked team.

Let's get back to this in 4 years.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=79331

but they wanted Wilson over Laughton,Sanguinetti over Giroux,drafted JVR and traded him.

when you have 5 centers and you refuse to trade some of them for Weber and then you draft another one when there is someone who dropped to you who can fill a need then something is not right.

Holmgren likes to make bold moves and it got him nowhere.

as i said before Laughton have to become a pretty damn good player because if Matta turns into #4 Dman and Laughton into a decent #2center then that's a fail.

if Morin was playing in the NHL and doing great i wouldn't be hearing people saying let's get back to this in 4 years

Old
02-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

but they wanted Wilson over Laughton,Sanguinetti over Giroux,drafted JVR and traded him.

when you have 5 centers and you refuse to trade some of them for Weber and then you draft another one when there is someone who dropped to you who can fill a need then something is not right.

as i said before Laughton have to become a pretty damn good player because if Matta turns into #4 Dman and Laughton into a decent #2center then that's a fail.

if Morin was playing in the NHL and doing great i wouldn't be hearing people saying let's get back to this in 4 years
What does Sanguinetti, Tom Wilson and JVR have to do with this? Tom Wilson is playing in the NHL right now but getting 4th line minutes. He still is developing and can become a good player for the Caps. It comes down to who the Flyers thought was the better player for the future of the team when they were picking. The always go BPA and in their eyes Laughton was that guy.

Why the hell is everyone acting like Maata is a number 1 defenseman in this league already? It's unreal how fast we blow a prospect or young playing out of proportion on this website. Every player has a different development curve, they all take different paths do the NHL. Just because Maata is playing second pairing for the Pens right now on a very good team doesn't mean Laughton has to become a pretty darn good player for us right now. I am actually sure Laughton will become a pretty darn good player for us.

If Maata is a #4 and Laughton is a number 2 center, we made the right pick.

Also, if Morin was in the NHL right now, I would so be saying we have to wait and see with him. I don't make my final conclusions on players after 40 games or even one season in the NHL. Morin can be brought around the right way and come in an instantly make a contribution it would be great, that would require another year in Junior though probably. I am still in wait mode with Couts, he is still extremely young and I am not saying we should have picked Hamilton over him. All the hype Hamilton got last year and this year he has struggled.

Patience, we all preach it about Homer and then get made when he isn't using it. We want Pete Weber but don't want to trade Couts+Schenn++ for him, that's the right move. It would have depleted the depth on this team. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I can see if you think they made the wrong pick, but what I can not agree on is whether we know that right now or not. Not a chance in hell we know who is the better player of the two. Laughton is coming along very nicely and is showing great potential. Maata as well, it's a wait and see game, not we made the wrong choice.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:28 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:

Ridiculous. You don't understand value after making a statement like that. #4 defensemen are easy to find- just look at our roster now.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Flyerss

Quote:
What does Sanguinetti, Tom Wilson and JVR have to do with this? Tom Wilson is playing in the NHL right now but getting 4th line minutes. He still is developing and can become a good player for the Caps. It comes down to who the Flyers thought was the better player for the future of the team when they were picking. The always go BPA and in their eyes Laughton was that guy.

Why the hell is everyone acting like Maata is a number 1 defenseman in this league already? It's unreal how fast we blow a prospect or young playing out of proportion on this website. Every player has a different development curve, they all take different paths do the NHL. Just because Maata is playing second pairing for the Pens right now on a very good team doesn't mean Laughton has to become a pretty darn good player for us right now. I am actually sure Laughton will become a pretty darn good player for us.

If Maata is a #4 and Laughton is a number 2 center, we made the right pick.

Also, if Morin was in the NHL right now, I would so be saying we have to wait and see with him. I don't make my final conclusions on players after 40 games or even one season in the NHL. Morin can be brought around the right way and come in an instantly make a contribution it would be great, that would require another year in Junior though probably. I am still in wait mode with Couts, he is still extremely young and I am not saying we should have picked Hamilton over him. All the hype Hamilton got last year and this year he has struggled.

Patience, we all preach it about Homer and then get made when he isn't using it. We want Pete Weber but don't want to trade Couts+Schenn++ for him, that's the right move. It would have depleted the depth on this team. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I can see if you think they made the wrong pick, but what I can not agree on is whether we know that right now or not. Not a chance in hell we know who is the better player of the two. Laughton is coming along very nicely and is showing great potential. Maata as well, it's a wait and see game, not we made the wrong choice.
okay let's pretend Laughton turned into a what people project him to turn into, where are you going to put him?

Old
02-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Ridiculous. You don't understand value after making a statement like that. #4 defensemen are easy to find- just look at our roster now.
besides Timonen,Gus no one can be a solid Dman who can contribute on both ends of the ice.

yeah okay, a two way #4Dman is easy to find but a decent #2 center is impossible to find.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
okay let's pretend Laughton turned into a what people project him to turn into, where are you going to put him?
You find room for him one way or another. These things have time to develop. Laughton is still in juniors right now. He will most likely play 4th line center next year because the Flyers ease prospects into roles. After that, anything is fair game. Who knows where this team will be or even who will be on the roster. You let him develop first, then you make the decisions where to put him when he becomes what you thought he could. Maata is a far way from being a #1 or #2 defender, just like Laughton is from being a #2 center. You cross that bridge when you get there, first he has to reach his potential though.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
besides Timonen,Gus no one can be a solid Dman who can contribute on both ends of the ice.

yeah okay, a two way #4Dman is easy to find but a decent #2 center is impossible to find.
Coburn is a #3 defender. He is a better player than Gus as well. Just because he doesn't put up 40 points a year and drop 10 goals doesn't mean he isn't a #2/#3 defender. He is very reliable in his own zone, which is the very first thing you want a defenseman to be.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Flyerss

Quote:
You find room for him one way or another. These things have time to develop. Laughton is still in juniors right now. He will most likely play 4th line center next year because the Flyers ease prospects into roles. After that, anything is fair game. Who knows where this team will be or even who will be on the roster. You let him develop first, then you make the decisions where to put him when he becomes what you thought he could. Maata is a far way from being a #1 or #2 defender, just like Laughton is from being a #2 center. You cross that bridge when you get there, first he has to reach his potential though.
then let's just Draft BPA every time because you never what could happen in the future.

Quote:
Coburn is a #3 defender. He is a better player than Gus as well. Just because he doesn't put up 40 points a year and drop 10 goals doesn't mean he isn't a #2/#3 defender. He is very reliable in his own zone, which is the very first thing you want a defenseman to be.
i'm talking about someone who can contribute on both ends of the ice"which is the case with Maatta", we already know the result of having too many guys who can only play Defense.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
then let's just Draft BPA every time because you never what could happen in the future.

The Flyers do select BPA, especially in the early rounds of the draft. I don't know what you are trying to say here.

You seem to be missing the point. The Flyers management seems to think Laughton's ceiling is higher than Maata's when everything is all said and done, you know this because they drafted him over Maata. Now, you can't say we made a mistake until both players fill out their potential, which is exactly what you are doing.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:10 PM
flyershockey

Quote:

Coburn and Streit are also top four defensemen. What you're describing is a top pair defenseman.

I'm going to hold off on this one. There's a laundry list of examples of defensemen that play well during their rookie year, but then fail to progress.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

You would think Homer has drafted all centers with his first rounders during his tenure the way people ***** around here & can't grasp the concept of BPA.

2007: JVR LW
2008: Sbsia D
2009: None
2010: None
2011: Couturier C
2012: Laughton C
2013: Morin D

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote