HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Larry Brooks' column has Flyers rumors

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 06:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 989
Larry Brooks' column has Flyers rumors

In today's New York Post, Larry Brooks says Sean Burke is headed to the Flyers with Phoenix seeking either of the Flyers' two first rounders from the 2003 draft. He then says the Kings might take Patrick Sharp or the Flyers first pick in 2004. I think he means the Coyotes because there is no previous mention of the Kings. And, by the way, do the Flyers have a first round pick in 2004? He says "first pick" so that could be a second rounder I guess. He also says Ron Hextall was in Chicago scouting Alexei Zhamnov.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/15859.htm

Old
02-01-2004, 06:30 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
The Flyers 1st rounder this year is in Edmonton. As for the two first rounder from last year, I'd love to get Carter for Burke, but I don't see that happening. As for Richards, I'm not sold on him, but Flyer Nation is, so they can keep him. To me, Patrick Sharp is just an ehh player, so I'd hope he is the throw in, and not the key. There are suddenly a lot of Burke rumors, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt soon.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:31 PM
blah

I don't see how the Flyers could afford to get Burke and Zhamnov.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah

Hope to god as deep at center as we are that Zhamnov's last on our list of potential Flyers. This doesn't come close to addressing a need that we currently have. Burke would be too expensive to give up one of carter or Williams for...not that he wouldn't be a good pick up for the playoffs...Please don't do either deal Clarkie. We need to keep some youth, especially at center.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:40 PM
blah

Flyers need a first line Left Wing more than anything. Zhamnov ever play there?

Old
02-01-2004, 06:48 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Flyers need a first line Left Wing more than anything. Zhamnov ever play there?
You mean, Donald Brashear isnt good enough for the top line?

Old
02-01-2004, 06:53 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Hope to god as deep at center as we are that Zhamnov's last on our list of potential Flyers. This doesn't come close to addressing a need that we currently have.
Does anyone else get the feeling that someone in the Chicago organization is trying to create a market for Zhamnov by spreading these rumours? He doesn't address the issues of the Flyers nor Canucks AT ALL, yet continually I hear these sorts of rumours. And now he's a "hot commodity" playoff rental. That's pretty impressive for a guy who has 5 career playoff points.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
Does anyone else get the feeling that someone in the Chicago organization is trying to create a market for Zhamnov by spreading these rumours? He doesn't address the issues of the Flyers nor Canucks AT ALL, yet continually I hear these sorts of rumours. And now he's a "hot commodity" playoff rental. That's pretty impressive for a guy who has 5 career playoff points.

Pretty weak defensively, not exactly a great fit in Philly...Russian to boot. Don't think Clarkie will throw a match on that fire. Good point about the rumors starting though...we'd all like to think that doesn't happen in todays NHL.

Old
02-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Too bad Zhamnov doesn't hit like Danny Markov...

I could see them throwing together a package of picks and/or prospects to land Burke. I'm not sold on Richards either, but I do like what I've seen of him.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:17 PM
FlyerFire

screw Burke

rather have Fernandez anyways.we've already tried Burke and he SUCKED for us.NO THANKS

Old
02-01-2004, 08:35 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
I don't see why to flyers could wnat to get Burke or Zhamnov.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:41 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellionhellion2002
rather have Fernandez anyways.we've already tried Burke and he SUCKED for us.NO THANKS
He sucked for the Flyers, then he met Benoit Allaire, who turned him into a Vezina caliber goaltender. If you honestly believe Fernandez is a better goalie than Sean Burke at this point, or even a better option for backup duty in Philadelphia, you need to pull your head out of 1999.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Larry Brooks has you talking and that's all he cares about. His rumors are widely unsubstantiated. He should sponsor Spector and start a magazine of completely made up rumors

Old
02-01-2004, 08:46 PM
epa80

Send a message via AIM to epa80 Send a message via Yahoo to epa80
Sean Burke testified for Dave Babych a few years back in his injury lawsuit vs. the Flyers team physician, Dr. Art Bartolozzi. That in and of itself means Clarke will not deal for Burke, let alone his awful 1999 run with the Flyers. Bob Clarke does not rebuild burnt bridges, he allows them to stay burnt to a crisp.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:53 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
I only have one question here.

A well-connected informant reports that the Coyotes believe they'll wind up trading goalie Sean Burke to the Flyers, who have shown far more interest in the veteran goaltender than the Rangers. It's believed that Phoenix, stocked in nets throughout the organization, is seeking either of last year's Philly first-rounders, centers Jeff Carter or Mike Richards. If unable to get that bounty as payment for the veteran who hasn't won a playoff series since his freshman 1988 season in New Jersey the Kings might take 22-year-old center Patrick Sharp and this year's first Flyers draft selection.

Why are the Kings mentioned at all in this? It's about Phoenix and Philly?

Old
02-01-2004, 09:00 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8

A well-connected informant reports that the Coyotes believe they'll wind up trading goalie Sean Burke to the Flyers, who have shown far more interest in the veteran goaltender than the Rangers. It's believed that Phoenix, stocked in nets throughout the organization, is seeking either of last year's Philly first-rounders, centers Jeff Carter or Mike Richards. If unable to get that bounty as payment for the veteran who hasn't won a playoff series since his freshman 1988 season in New Jersey the Kings might take 22-year-old center Patrick Sharp and this year's first Flyers draft selection.

I made that point, too in my original post. I think he meant the Coyotes, though maybe he means a three way deal. Either way, he made a mistake in his story.

Old
02-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Larry Brooks has you talking and that's all he cares about. His rumors are widely unsubstantiated. He should sponsor Spector and start a magazine of completely made up rumors
True. He also suggested a week or two ago that the Rangers should trade Kovalev for Khabibulin, and what a great deal that would be. He makes his rumors up, and his own trade ideas aren't so hot either.

Old
02-02-2004, 03:00 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
He sucked for the Flyers, then he met Benoit Allaire, who turned him into a Vezina caliber goaltender. If you honestly believe Fernandez is a better goalie than Sean Burke at this point, or even a better option for backup duty in Philadelphia, you need to pull your head out of 1999.
Hate to tell you this, but Burke looked this good before he got to Phoenix and met Allaire. Burke was doin a much under appreciated job in Florida, but got screwed.

Old
02-02-2004, 03:14 AM
herecomesdabus

Don't believe anything Brooks writes. He has about as much creditabilty as Bruce Garrioch.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:21 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Cechmanek must be coming back!

Old
02-02-2004, 05:13 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Cechmanek must be coming back!
So thats why Sharp moved from #32 to #9.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:47 PM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
So thats why Sharp moved from #32 to #9.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
02-02-2004, 08:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You must have ordered your Patrick Sharp jersey today.

It's ok, I got an Adam Deadmarsh one and then he got hurt

Old
02-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Lambert Closse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
In today's New York Post, Larry Brooks says Sean Burke is headed to the Flyers with Phoenix seeking either of the Flyers' two first rounders from the 2003 draft. He then says the Kings might take Patrick Sharp or the Flyers first pick in 2004. I think he means the Coyotes because there is no previous mention of the Kings. And, by the way, do the Flyers have a first round pick in 2004? He says "first pick" so that could be a second rounder I guess. He also says Ron Hextall was in Chicago scouting Alexei Zhamnov.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/15859.htm

please see attached list of traded picks for the 2004 draft as collected by brodeur

Closed Thread