HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Missing Opportunities

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2007, 11:00 AM
  #1
HABkings
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Missing Opportunities

Im a long time habs fan. As we have all noticed, this Bob Gainy has been GM he has been rather passive in regards to trades. With the large amount of trades that have been going on in the past few, I want to know your opinions on whether the habs are missing out on opportunities of acquire players such as Nagy, Stuart and others to come. IMO I would of expected some major shake ups to have already happened with the teams lack of success in 2007. I'd like to hope that our Habs our going to get back on track once again become a considered cup contender.
Cheers-

HABkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:03 AM
  #2
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,079
vCash: 500
Yes big time Opportunaties that Gainey dosen't do anything gets blaimed goes out there Signs Samsonov just to please the media and the fans and then gets blasted for a bad signing.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:03 AM
  #3
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABkings View Post
Im a long time habs fan. As we have all noticed, this Bob Gainy has been GM he has been rather passive in regards to trades. With the large amount of trades that have been going on in the past few, I want to know your opinions on whether the habs are missing out on opportunities of acquire players such as Nagy, Stuart and others to come. IMO I would of expected some major shake ups to have already happened with the teams lack of success in 2007. I'd like to hope that our Habs our going to get back on track once again become a considered cup contender.
Cheers-
I really don't think that Gainey has missed out on anything so far. Besides there hasn't been a large amount of trades yet. Once we find out where Forsberg is going, then you will see a large amount of trades happen.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:08 AM
  #4
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,025
vCash: 500
Keep in mind the following possibility, disheartening though it may be:
with the team in the position it is in, it may make more sense to stand pat, sink or swim with the current lineup, and maybe try again next year, rather than bet the farm on a high-profile trade that may not turn things around.

That said, I would like to see something... just not at any price.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:19 AM
  #5
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABkings View Post
Im a long time habs fan. As we have all noticed, this Bob Gainy has been GM he has been rather passive in regards to trades. With the large amount of trades that have been going on in the past few, I want to know your opinions on whether the habs are missing out on opportunities of acquire players such as Nagy, Stuart and others to come. IMO I would of expected some major shake ups to have already happened with the teams lack of success in 2007. I'd like to hope that our Habs our going to get back on track once again become a considered cup contender.
Cheers-
Bob isn't missing out on a thing! There has not been any signifcant trades made involving players that would be a good fit for the Habs. Gainey is out there looking for the best trade that will help our hockey club, he's not going to trade players away simply because the FANS or MEDIA don't care for the players, Bob is going to weigh all the options, see how much cap room he can free up and see who he would have to ship away to aquire what we are looking for. He is gonna take his time and make a move that will help the club win and fix whatever problems we have in our lineup.
Bob Gainey is doing a great job, he hasn't made any bad moves yet IMO....some may say that Samsonov was a bad signing, but how is Bob supposed to know that Sammy wasn't gonna show up to play this season?? Getting rid of Theodore and Ribiero were blessings and we are a better team for getting rid of them.
Everybody.....be patient and Bob will make a good, calculating move for the benefit of the team...you wait and see!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:21 AM
  #6
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Bob isn't missing out on a thing! There has not been any signifcant trades made involving players that would be a good fit for the Habs. Gainey is out there looking for the best trade that will help our hockey club, he's not going to trade players away simply because the FANS or MEDIA don't care for the players, Bob is going to weigh all the options, see how much cap room he can free up and see who he would have to ship away to aquire what we are looking for. He is gonna take his time and make a move that will help the club win and fix whatever problems we have in our lineup.
Bob Gainey is doing a great job, he hasn't made any bad moves yet IMO....some may say that Samsonov was a bad signing, but how is Bob supposed to know that Sammy wasn't gonna show up to play this season?? Getting rid of Theodore and Ribiero were blessings and we are a better team for getting rid of them.
Everybody.....be patient and Bob will make a good, calculating move for the benefit of the team...you wait and see!!!
Bob can do no wrong? Not all his moves are "good and calculating".

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:23 AM
  #7
HABkings
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Bob isn't missing out on a thing! There has not been any signifcant trades made involving players that would be a good fit for the Habs. Gainey is out there looking for the best trade that will help our hockey club, he's not going to trade players away simply because the FANS or MEDIA don't care for the players, Bob is going to weigh all the options, see how much cap room he can free up and see who he would have to ship away to aquire what we are looking for. He is gonna take his time and make a move that will help the club win and fix whatever problems we have in our lineup.
Bob Gainey is doing a great job, he hasn't made any bad moves yet IMO....some may say that Samsonov was a bad signing, but how is Bob supposed to know that Sammy wasn't gonna show up to play this season?? Getting rid of Theodore and Ribiero were blessings and we are a better team for getting rid of them.
Everybody.....be patient and Bob will make a good, calculating move for the benefit of the team...you wait and see!!!
Im not necessairly saying he has missed any oppertunities as of yet, but being as passive as he is Im afraid that he will...
Id like to see him make an effort for Forsberg and Doan. But I dont want to give up much for Forsberg.

HABkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:24 AM
  #8
HABkings
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
I also like the Horcoff idea.

HABkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:25 AM
  #9
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Bob can do no wrong? Not all his moves are "good and calculating".
Sadly I agree with you, but no GM is perfect all of the time.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:26 AM
  #10
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Bob can do no wrong? Not all his moves are "good and calculating".
Which moves are you talking about???

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
  #11
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Which moves are you talking about???

I think he means picking up Samsonov, but I don't think anyone could have predicted him playing so badly here in MTL.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:38 AM
  #12
simz78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
I think he should have miss on Samsonov and shouldn't have miss Dumont.

Also in the beginning of this season, i think he missed Brashear, by keeping two useless players that are Downey AND Murray. If you want a tough guy, bring a real one, otherwise get rid of these two guys and bring in some young talent.

But it's easy to second guess, it's harder to find solution (as written by R. King in today's La Presse )

simz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:39 AM
  #13
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I think he means picking up Samsonov, but I don't think anyone could have predicted him playing so badly here in MTL.
EXACTLY.....I don't see where Gainey has done anything wrong. Just because Samsonov is a big Baby doesn't mean that Gainey should be held accountable.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:46 AM
  #14
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by simz78 View Post
I think he should have miss on Samsonov and shouldn't have miss Dumont.

Also in the beginning of this season, i think he missed Brashear, by keeping two useless players that are Downey AND Murray. If you want a tough guy, bring a real one, otherwise get rid of these two guys and bring in some young talent.

But it's easy to second guess, it's harder to find solution (as written by R. King in today's La Presse )
At the time, Samsonov had more value than Dumont!!! Hind-sight is 20-20 and nobody expected Samsonov to stink it up this bad.
I don't agree that Bob missed out on Brashear either. Why would we want Brashear??? The only thing he brings to the table is toughness, we have Souray, Rivet, Komisarek, Begin, Murray and Downey that can drop the gloves when needed.....so there is no need to have a big useless goon like Brashear in our line-up and scratch somebody that might score a goal.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:46 AM
  #15
bigmcbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
The NHL is becoming more like the NFL. The offseason is the time to make major changes not the deadline. Bob should not trade 1st round picks unless this team is a sure fire cup contender

bigmcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:52 AM
  #16
simz78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
At the time, Samsonov had more value than Dumont!!! Hind-sight is 20-20 and nobody expected Samsonov to stink it up this bad.
I don't agree that Bob missed out on Brashear either. Why would we want Brashear??? The only thing he brings to the table is toughness, we have Souray, Rivet, Komisarek, Begin, Murray and Downey that can drop the gloves when needed.....so there is no need to have a big useless goon like Brashear in our line-up and scratch somebody that might score a goal.
Dumont was higher than Samsonov in my opinion, but that's always disputable.

About Brashear i think i made it clear that he would replace Downey OR/AND Murray, not Perezhogin or Latendresse, the point is that Murray and Downey are already taking roster spaces, so instead of having them, it would be better to have Brashear, or young talent that we see in Hamilton. Brashear can at least skate, something Downey has yet to learn, Brashear can fight, something Murray is not doing a lot (or not at all), and let's face it Downey and Murray are not really in the "intimidating" categories. I hate these two on the roster, plain and simple, they are the Dackell and Sundstrom of this year's edition, only for different reasons.

edit: btw i don't think Gainey is doing a bad job because of these point i just made, i like what he did so far, just answering the thread question.

simz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:53 AM
  #17
YOUTH OF HABS
Registered User
 
YOUTH OF HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: OTTAWHAT
Country: Canada
Posts: 892
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
...

To be honest, I really don't think he is missing out.

We need a face, a superstar for this team and pretty much what is available at this point is only UFA's who would be here for a few months. I don't want us to sell off our future for a rental player if we are gonna struggle to make it into the playoffs.

I would actually like to see Bob make some trades involving some of OUR UFA's like Sourray/Abby/Rivet. I think this is the perfect time to shore up on draft picks/young talent as we closer then ever to turning this team around. If we shore up now, then 2-3 years down the road use these assesets to obtain that over the to player.

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:53 AM
  #18
Brett38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Bob isn't missing out on a thing! There has not been any signifcant trades made involving players that would be a good fit for the Habs. Gainey is out there looking for the best trade that will help our hockey club, he's not going to trade players away simply because the FANS or MEDIA don't care for the players, Bob is going to weigh all the options, see how much cap room he can free up and see who he would have to ship away to aquire what we are looking for. He is gonna take his time and make a move that will help the club win and fix whatever problems we have in our lineup.
Bob Gainey is doing a great job, he hasn't made any bad moves yet IMO....some may say that Samsonov was a bad signing, but how is Bob supposed to know that Sammy wasn't gonna show up to play this season?? Getting rid of Theodore and Ribiero were blessings and we are a better team for getting rid of them.
Everybody.....be patient and Bob will make a good, calculating move for the benefit of the team...you wait and see!!!

Wow...right on!!

I think Bob may be working on something at the deadline. Probably won't be mentioned before the 26th or 27th.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:58 AM
  #19
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by simz78 View Post
Dumont was higher than Samsonov in my opinion, but that's always disputable.

About Brashear i think i made it clear that he would replace Downey OR/AND Murray, not Perezhogin or Latendresse, the point is that Murray and Downey are already taking roster spaces, so instead of having them, it would be better to have Brashear, or young talent that we see in Hamilton. Brashear can at least skate, something Downey has yet to learn, Brashear can fight, something Murray is not doing a lot (or not at all), and let's face it Downey and Murray are not really in the "intimidating" categories. I hate these two on the roster, plain and simple, they are the Dackell and Sundstrom of this year's edition, only for different reasons.

Ok....I see your point and it makes sense to have 1 useless player (Brashear) in the lineup as opposed to 2 (Murray and Downey). That would give some of the youngsters a chance to get some playing time. I don't like either of those players either.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:03 PM
  #20
Lord Horse
Next Day's News
 
Lord Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Full City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Why would we want Brashear??? The only thing he brings to the table is toughness, we have Souray, Rivet, Komisarek, Begin, Murray and Downey that can drop the gloves when needed.....so there is no need to have a big useless goon like Brashear in our line-up and scratch somebody that might score a goal.
Wrong, wrong, wrong ! Not to jump on you, because I understand your point about needing skill, but not ONE of the guys you named is a credible tough-guy threat. Brashear scares people. (Not Shanahan, but hey, who would?) He's not shy about being a true goon. And he wanted to play here. It's a bigger mistake to not have signed Brashear and kept Downey/Murray than it was to sign Samsonov IMO.

We would benefit from a punch-out artist. This team needs one badly.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:07 PM
  #21
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Ok....I see your point and it makes sense to have 1 useless player (Brashear) in the lineup as opposed to 2 (Murray and Downey). That would give some of the youngsters a chance to get some playing time. I don't like either of those players either.
Downey and Murray aren't stopping our young players from getting some playing time now. Someone has to play 4th line minutes (about 5 mins/gm)and I sure as hell don't want it to be Kosty or Grabs. Downey and Murray are fine where they are, adding Begin to that line makes it a pretty solid 4th line in my opinion.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:14 PM
  #22
simz78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Downey and Murray aren't stopping our young players from getting some playing time now. Someone has to play 4th line minutes (about 5 mins/gm)and I sure as hell don't want it to be Kosty or Grabs. Downey and Murray are fine where they are, adding Begin to that line makes it a pretty solid 4th line in my opinion.
The Habs would be better with Brashear than with Murray and Downey, Lapierre would have started the season with team and the fourth line (Bégin-Lapierre-Brashear) would have been way better than Bégin-Murray-Downey. Of course during the season Streit made a point for himself and can't be scratch right now.

simz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:28 PM
  #23
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by simz78 View Post
The Habs would be better with Brashear than with Murray and Downey, Lapierre would have started the season with team and the fourth line (Bégin-Lapierre-Brashear) would have been way better than Bégin-Murray-Downey. Of course during the season Streit made a point for himself and can't be scratch right now.
Oh your right, my bad....Mtl would have been much better with Brashear.

In the old NHL, absolutely a good fighter is exactly what we would need. But in the new NHL, Brashear at 6'2 234lbs would just be another player taking up a large space on the bench.

A plus would be he could sit at the end of the bench and look mean, also his long arms would come in handy as he passes the other players water when they come back to the bench.

My point is, he really wouldn't make a difference because he would barely be on the ice to really make a difference.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:43 PM
  #24
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,484
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure that although Dumont vs Samsonov makes us want to cry now, it was already too late, in that Samsonov had signed before Dumont had even become available. And that was already after Elias and Shanahan had been snatched up.

The only move so far that I think Gainey might've missed out on is Dupuis. But that's fairly insignificant, and maybe even redundant with Begin and Lapierre. And there's no telling what the Wild would've regarded as the Habs equivalent to Hall. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a depth addition like that (ideally Lapointe for Samsonov, which would be a money saver and a roster spot opener while also adding grit and leadership etc.)

As for Stuart, I think we have to regard Kobasew as Higgins in terms of equal-ish value. I don't think anyone would do that. Nagy isn't worth a 1st round pick, not to the Habs this year, with their current line-up. Had Phoenix been willing to take Perezhogin straight-up, maybe, but then there would have had to have been more movement to create cap space. So Murray + Perezhogin for a potential Samsonov II while allowing no other moves because of cap restrictions.

It looks like Forsberg has been priced beyond Gainey's means: two 1sts AND a young roster player/prospect is just too steep. It looks like it's now down to Guerin, Doan, and Tkachuk. I guess we'll have to see.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:10 PM
  #25
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Oh your right, my bad....Mtl would have been much better with Brashear.

In the old NHL, absolutely a good fighter is exactly what we would need. But in the new NHL, Brashear at 6'2 234lbs would just be another player taking up a large space on the bench.

A plus would be he could sit at the end of the bench and look mean, also his long arms would come in handy as he passes the other players water when they come back to the bench.

My point is, he really wouldn't make a difference because he would barely be on the ice to really make a difference.


HAHAHAHA

"A plus would be he could sit at the end of the bench and look mean, also his long arms would come in handy as he passes the other players water when they come back to the bench".

I love it!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.