HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
5 goalie interference penalties... The guy likes the blue paint it seems

Old
02-17-2014, 09:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
A fair amount of those penalties are okay in my book.

:O

10 Roughing penalties. Nioce.

Needs to tone down the Tripping/Highstick though.
Yeah those stick infractions need to be toned down. That's 26 pim's right there. I like that he has 5 goalie interference penalties as well because it shows that he's around the net and/or crashes the net.

02-17-2014, 09:57 PM
DousedInOil

Meanwhile Reinhart has 9 PIMs.

Old
02-18-2014, 12:54 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
That's really interesting... A hold a trip, and this fight.

Old
02-18-2014, 01:10 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Which means that he's less likely to give the opposition PP's which is a good thing. But personally I'd like to see our next core player have some bite to his game, not Alex Burrows' kind of bite either for the record! Ekblad and Bennett have that, Reinhart doesn't seem to have it.

Old
02-18-2014, 02:19 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Ekblad...Reinhart...Bennett...Ritchie

That would be my current order of preference for the Oilers but honestly I could see Ritchie being an impact player on the Oilers and my gut really wants to take him if they pick say #3... my head of course says a solid #2C would be the prudent choice but I just can't help but think that Ritchie could have a massive impact in the "Smurfish" top 6 for the Oilers.

Old
02-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
That's really interesting... A hold a trip, and this fight.
Did surprisingly well (though Morrissey isn't exactly a tough guy either). To only take 2 minors all year is a testament to how good his positioning and anticipation of the play is. I get the Toews comparisons, could definitely be that type of player with a bit more size and strength. It's not like Toews is a bang and crash type of guy, just a hard competitor for loose pucks and getting to the front of the net. I haven't seen that type of tenacity from Reinhart, but everything else about him screams Toews. The kid will win a Selke at some point in his career.

Old
02-18-2014, 10:59 AM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

That would be my current order of preference for the Oilers but honestly I could see Ritchie being an impact player on the Oilers and my gut really wants to take him if they pick say #3... my head of course says a solid #2C would be the prudent choice but I just can't help but think that Ritchie could have a massive impact in the "Smurfish" top 6 for the Oilers.
I agree with your order, but I might put Virtanen in the mix with Ritchie, like his game and he is a solid kid with good tools.

Old
02-18-2014, 06:22 PM
40oz

New ISS ranking is out, top 5 is unchanged (Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennet, Dal Cole, Nylander)
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=114013

Old
02-21-2014, 09:54 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Watched Bennett last night A couple of very nice assists, nhl ready shot, and isnt afraid to get dirty to get where he wants to go. He already looks bigger than RNH. I will have no issue with him being our pick.

Perlini came back from injury last night and damn he looked good. He played C for the first time, and looked a little out of place at time. But if they keep him there, it will be interesting to see how he plays down the stretch. If he looks natural by the end of the season I could see him going 4th overall.

Old
02-21-2014, 10:25 AM
blupye

My friend was at the Halifax Mooseheads vs PEI Islanders game the other night and saw MacT there. Who could he possibly scouting there? I am thinking a lower round pick but we do not have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Ehlers is projected to be a 1st rounder but he is a smaller forward which we don't need. Any thoughts?

Old
02-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Natepollock92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

Ekblad>Bennett>Reinhart>Virtanen

Ekblad is a no brainer, Bennett adds that grit and strength that we need for a 2c(he remind anyone else of Getzlaf?), Reinhart is a decently sized 2c but sorta the same thing as RNH, the reason I chose Virtanen is he has that size and skill but hes just such a great skater and to have that triple threat in such a young player thats an amazing package.

Old
02-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

If we fall out of the top 3 picks what about Ritchie? That guy is everything that we don't have up front, big, mean and physical.

Old
02-21-2014, 12:37 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If we fall out of the top 3 picks what about Ritchie? That guy is everything that we don't have up front, big, mean and physical.
Yeah I'd expect out of the top 3 picks, we'd look at Ritchie, Virtanen, and Draisaitl.

It might also depend who, if anyone, Mac T moves out of our current top 6 forwards.

Old
02-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
I really hope the pick is traded if we fall out of the top 3. We don't have 3-4 years to wait on a prospect.

Old
02-21-2014, 03:13 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
He's the one I'm hoping for after Ekblad. I've always said don't draft for need, but we could really use him. Guys like that are never available unless you draft them

02-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
I really hope the pick is traded if we fall out of the top 3. We don't have 3-4 years to wait on a prospect.
We'll still need prospect in 3-4 years. I have no problem trading a pick if we're going to get somebody that will help us now and going forward but there's not a lot of teams willing to give up a decent current player for a draft pick that like you say will help in 3-4 years. Sure package it with something else but the deal still has to make sense and there's not always a lot of options.

Old
02-21-2014, 03:53 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
He's the one I'm hoping for after Ekblad. I've always said don't draft for need, but we could really use him. Guys like that are never available unless you draft them
There's no way that the Oilers should pass on Reinhart or Bennett if Ekblad is off the board. Center is a much bigger need than another winger even if he is a power forward. Drafting Ritchie will also mean that they will more than likely keep Gagner since the draft is pretty much the only way to get a legit top 6 center.

I think this physicality thing is overrated anyway. What they need in the top 6 is a center who can play a 200 ft game and isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas.
If the Top 3 are off the board, i really hope that MacT either takes Draisaitl or trades the pick.
Fill out the bottom 6 with strong, physical forwards of which we have plenty in the system.

Old
02-21-2014, 06:46 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
We'll still need prospect in 3-4 years. I have no problem trading a pick if we're going to get somebody that will help us now and going forward but there's not a lot of teams willing to give up a decent current player for a draft pick that like you say will help in 3-4 years. Sure package it with something else but the deal still has to make sense and there's not always a lot of options.
The prospects we will need in 3-4 years are cheap bottom sixers who are useful. I think our core forwards are pretty much set and our D prospects are one of the best in the league. Those picks can be found in the 2nd/3rd rounds

Right now we need a top pairing D

Old
02-21-2014, 08:22 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Just keep the pick and draft high (whether it's 1,2,3,4,5). The only assets this team has that are decent are those high picks they've accumulated (plus Eberle) and there is nothing they'll get in return for say that 4th or 5th pick that's going to turn this team around on a dime.

They definitely need more help going forward in terms of solid talent (as evidenced by their roster and lack of depth among their forwards in the Oilers prospect pool).

Adding a talent like Bennett/Ritchie/Virtanen (even if they draft 3/4/5) is a solid move and I have no faith that what they will obtain by trading that pick will be a significant asset on this team in 3-4 years.

Old
02-21-2014, 08:41 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Watched Bennett last night A couple of very nice assists, nhl ready shot, and isnt afraid to get dirty to get where he wants to go. He already looks bigger than RNH. I will have no issue with him being our pick.

Perlini came back from injury last night and damn he looked good. He played C for the first time, and looked a little out of place at time. But if they keep him there, it will be interesting to see how he plays down the stretch. If he looks natural by the end of the season I could see him going 4th overall.
Perlini is the most underated guy in my books. I would take him 3rd right now after Ekblad and Rienhart.

Old
02-21-2014, 09:21 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

With Tavares and Barkov out any one think we will leap frog the flames, panthers and islanders? We can't go any higher, but, I think a good chance we pick 5th. Perlini would be my guy with that pick.

Old
02-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

My current top 5 is Reinhart > Ekblad > Bennet > Dal Colle > Draisaitl

I really like Ritchie, but he would pretty much have to turn into Lucic for that pick to be worth it. Dal Colle may not be as big or mean, but he still has size and i take him over Ritchie quite easily based on everything else.

I think we end up with either Ekblad or Draisaitl. Just my feeling based on how Mac T will see a way to potentially fill the biggest holes while adding size.

Reinhart is my favorite (by a large margin actually), regardless of him being average size. But i don't think we get the #1 pick this year, and he should be it. Fingers crossed on lottery day.

Old
02-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
My List for our pick:
1-A.Ekblad
2-S.Reinhart
3-S.Bennett
4-J.Virtanen
5-L.Draisaitl
6-M.Dal Colle
7-N.Ritche
8-J.McCann
9-B.Perlini
10-A.Kempe

Old
02-22-2014, 01:59 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blupye View Post
My friend was at the Halifax Mooseheads vs PEI Islanders game the other night and saw MacT there. Who could he possibly scouting there? I am thinking a lower round pick but we do not have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Ehlers is projected to be a 1st rounder but he is a smaller forward which we don't need. Any thoughts?
Nikolaj Ehlers. Mact was recently quoted gushing about his play.

Closed Thread