HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tracking Preds in Sochi

Old
02-21-2014, 01:53 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Canada just a superior team in every area of the ice, and a Bobby Ryan or Keith Yandle wouldn't have changed it. Superior talent, but they were superior tactically today as well.
It's one goal. While I agree Canada looked better overall, it's one goal. You can't say that Ryan wouldn't have put in a goal if he played in Brown's place. No one can. I can tell you the percentage is greater.

Canada only really had to worry about Kane, Kessel, Parise-- those guys looked overplayed as well. Our "safe guys" could do nothing with the puck against Canada's D. It did look like we were watching the Predators, minus Kane and Kessel's puck skills.

I don't pin it on David Poile, but I'm not surprised this group had trouble creating quality chances vs Canada's ultimate D.

We matched up well vs every other nation. But Canada's D wins out.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
It's one goal. While I agree Canada looked better overall, it's one goal. You can't say that Ryan wouldn't have put in a goal if he played in Brown's place. No one can. I can tell you the percentage is greater.

Canada only really had to worry about Kane, Kessel, Parise-- those guys looked overplayed as well. Our "safe guys" could do nothing with the puck against Canada's D. It did look like we were watching the Predators, minus Kane and Kessel's puck skills.

I don't pin it on David Poile, but I'm not surprised this group had trouble creating quality chances vs Canada's ultimate D.

We matched up well vs every other nation. But Canada's D wins out.
Your last point pins it pretty exactly. Canada's D was just completely superior to everything we put out there. We didn't get to the prime scoring spots, we didn't get traffic in front, we didn't generate anything in the way of rebounds, we had no offensive cycle, and failed to have much of a transition game. I just don't see Ryan changing any of that. If we want to say that "anything could have happened," then sure, why not, but I don't find that falling into very tangible criticism.

That doesn't even factor in how he may have been used by Bylsma, or who we would have replaced.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:21 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

So disappointed. Have to wait another 4 years to see the U.S. take another crack at it. For those of us born after the Miracle On Ice team( I was born in 1985) we've never seen the U.S. win gold in hockey.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Wow HF boards is still operating. I thought that jingo would have killed it....

Good game, honestly I think it was the defacto silver game. Biggest disappointment; Weber didn't punch out Suter

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:16 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Your last point pins it pretty exactly. Canada's D was just completely superior to everything we put out there. We didn't get to the prime scoring spots, we didn't get traffic in front, we didn't generate anything in the way of rebounds, we had no offensive cycle, and failed to have much of a transition game. I just don't see Ryan changing any of that. If we want to say that "anything could have happened," then sure, why not, but I don't find that falling into very tangible criticism.

That doesn't even factor in how he may have been used by Bylsma, or who we would have replaced.
I'm not just saying "anything could've happened". Ryan is a better scorer than Brown, no question. The chances are greater he could've found a way to score against Canada vs someone like Brown (among others). I'm not say he would've, but the chances are greater. That's a factual statement.

Now you can say but Ryan might have screwed things up defensively, where as we can trust Brown (something David Poile would say). That's something that's harder to measure or put probability to.

But VS Cananda, "we need goal scoring ability" to quote Dean Lombardi. We didn't have it.

I personally do not like Bylasma all that much. He's OK, but there are better coaches out there.

Old
02-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I'm not just saying "anything could've happened". Ryan is a better scorer than Brown, no question. The chances are greater he could've found a way to score against Canada vs someone like Brown (among others). I'm not say he would've, but the chances are greater. That's a factual statement.

Now you can say but Ryan might have screwed things up defensively, where as we can trust Brown (something David Poile would say). That's something that's harder to measure or put probability to.

But VS Cananda, "we need goal scoring ability" to quote Dean Lombardi. We didn't have it.

I personally do not like Bylasma all that much. He's OK, but there are better coaches out there.
Ryan's just not a player likely to assert himself off the perimeter any better than Kessel, Kane, or Parise did. He wouldn't have been a decided factor in preventing us from getting pinned in our zone and poor in transition, which was what took a lot of the steam off our attack. The chances we did create were as a result of the speed of some of the above forwards, in which sphere Brown is actually superior to Ryan.

Could he have given us a better chance? Perhaps, when factoring his lack of "complete game," as you allude to. Is the loss a result of not selecting him? No.

Agree on Bylsma to an extent. I think even Trotz would have tried to start activating defensemen a lot earlier than the US did today. While he's getting criticized a lot for all the dumping and chasing, when you consider Canada's time of possession it was the only choice for our players to make a lot of the game. I think we probably got a little too comfortable with the way our forwards were able to break down defenses earlier in the tournament, and couldn't adjust to how strong Canada's D was.

Old
02-21-2014, 04:20 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Looked eerily like a Nashville Predators playoff game.
LOL. yep, this. I was saying this during the game, several times.

edit: atleast he who must not be named didn't get gold.

LOL @ minnesota leadership. i thought you guys were supposed to be allsum at hockey.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 05:09 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Ryan's just not a player likely to assert himself off the perimeter any better than Kessel, Kane, or Parise did. He wouldn't have been a decided factor in preventing us from getting pinned in our zone and poor in transition, which was what took a lot of the steam off our attack. The chances we did create were as a result of the speed of some of the above forwards, in which sphere Brown is actually superior to Ryan.

Could he have given us a better chance? Perhaps, when factoring his lack of "complete game," as you allude to. Is the loss a result of not selecting him? No.
You can't say with certainty that he would not have scored. Just like I can't say with any certainty that he would have scored. Statistically, there's a better chance Ryan would've scored vs Brown (among others).

As for the defunct transition game (minus Suter), Yandle very likely would've helped that.

I'm not here to say it's all Poile fault. But blanket statements like "Ryan and Yandle wouldn't have helped" is just guessing and no one can say that with any certainty.

Canada's D is great, but they are not some insurmountable beast. Heck, even Lavtia and Norway scored on them.

Old
02-21-2014, 05:13 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
LOL. yep, this. I was saying this during the game, several times.

edit: atleast he who must not be named didn't get gold.

LOL @ minnesota leadership. i thought you guys were supposed to be allsum at hockey.
I personally do not think Parise is all that. He's good, but guys like Kessel and Kane are in another class with their skill level-- and certainly many others outside of team USA.

Old
02-21-2014, 05:28 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
I personally do not think Parise is all that. He's good, but guys like Kessel and Kane are in another class with their skill level-- and certainly many others outside of team USA.
Kane wasn't in another class during this tournament. I thought he was a major disappointment. Tried to do too much on his own. Didn't seem strong enough to win battles in the hard areas. Maybe he just missed a complimentary player like Toews to assert his will in open ice.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Parise's shining moment came 4 years ago. He has progressively declined since, and is on a downward production pace yet again this season.

Old
02-21-2014, 05:49 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Kane wasn't in another class during this tournament. I thought he was a major disappointment. Tried to do too much on his own. Didn't seem strong enough to win battles in the hard areas. Maybe he just missed a complimentary player like Toews to assert his will in open ice.
Yeah I expected Kane to really have a good tournament considering his talent and speed and the bigger ice. Kessel was the one that really came to play and big kudos to Kesler for sticking with it after taking a Kovalchuk slapshot to the hand. The guy could barely hold his stick but was still giving it his all.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 01:30 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I thought the team looked like they were skating in mud through much of the game. They just looked slow and as the game went on they looked like they were trying to do too much by individuals. Their passing looked like the Predators, passing too far ahead or behind someone, or just to no one.

But lets not forget that there is another game, the games aren't over, the US can still get a medal!!! A lot of people had predictions all over for the US, from Gold to a 5th place finish. And considering their history on international ice, a medal of any kind would be a success. Bring that medal home US and prove a lot of doubters wrong. USA USA USA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I was only impressed with him in the first game. From the beginning of the Russia game he looked slow and tentative doing anything. Ever since then, he hasn't really looked the same for any length of time. And I'm a fan of Kane, I was hoping he would have a great tournament.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 05:46 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
the only one I feel bad for is Poile. for him I could have stomached seeing Suter win gold.

for those who think this was effectively the gold medal game, think again… I fully expect Sweden to beat Canada. I also won't be a bit surprised if the Finns beat the US today. The Finns won't view the bronze as a disappointment, but I suspect the US will...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the only one I feel bad for is Poile. for him I could have stomached seeing Suter win gold.

for those who think this was effectively the gold medal game, think again… I fully expect Sweden to beat Canada. I also won't be a bit surprised if the Finns beat the US today. The Finns won't view the bronze as a disappointment, but I suspect the US will...
If Finland wins big today, I can't wait for the world cup of hockey with a different group of players; kane & parise don't know how to spell intensity either

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

Our team jerseys actually look really good on players/ice. I was critical at first but they grew on me. Now, I actually really like them (esp. the white one). I think it was addition of names and numbers on the jersey that tied it all in.

Russian Pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

Dang..we're down by 2 just like that. Suter didn't cover his man on the second goal.

Old
02-22-2014, 10:09 AM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Pred View Post
Dang..we're down by 2 just like that. Suter didn't cover his man on the second goal.
McDonaugh left Suter out to dry. Kane just hasn't shown up this olympics like we need him to. He had the penalty shot and several opportunities. Same with Parise. It is like watching the preds but they have a lot more skilled players.

Kane missed another penalty shot. It could be 2-2

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

Kane misses both penalty shots..

Old
02-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

The game is really heating up.

Old
02-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

Backed takes a penalty..

Old
02-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

US needs to press more with physical play.

Old
02-22-2014, 10:29 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

That reminds me: did they ever get Suter's jock out of the rafters of the Bridge?

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Woof is right

Quote:
@TPBadam: Woof RT “@AGretz: In 8 periods against Canada, Russia, and Finland the US has not scored an even-strength goal.”

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote