HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Crystal Ball (no, really).

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I never claimed point totals for anyone besides Comrie and Smyth did I?

Well you kind of shot yourself in the foot with your comments. First you say that the Oilers would need someone to put up a similar amount of points in order for Comrie and Smyth to hit 70, but then you bring up Tanguay and Morrison, who got nowhere near the point totals that their linemates got....

Not sure what you are trying to prove here.
I was referring to another poster for the Hemsky and York point totals. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

OK, so we can look at it from two ways then. One way would be to say that for a player to get 70 points, which Tanguay and Morrison are examples of, you need your linemates to put up huge points. The opposite view, as you stated, would be that since their linemates put up 100 points each and they only put up 70 points, it appears that the third player doesn't need to put up similar numbers. It all depends on who you replace who with in the analogy. If you replace Smyth and Comrie with Forsberg and Hejduk (or Bertuzzi and Naslund), then your view works. If you replace Smyth with Tanguay and Comrie with Morrison, then my view does.

But here's something to think about. Forsberg and Hejduk are natural 90 point scorers. They've proven they can score those points. Tanguay benefitted from that, and his 70 points are more a result of feeding off his linemates than creating his own offense. Same thing with Morrison. That's the reason for the discrepancy . That's why Tanguay and Morrison only scored 70 points when their linemates each scored 100.

Ask yourself this: are Smyth and Comrie proven, natural 70 point scorers, such that Hemsky's or Dvorak's points are more a result of feeding off of Smyth and Comrie than due to their own offense? Or is it the other way around? Are Hemsky and Dvorak counted upon to create a significant amount of offense on their own, such that Smyth and Comrie will need them in order to put up 70 points? Be honest. Smyth has only scored 70 ONCE, and that was with Weight and Guerin/Carter. Comrie has never scored 70.

This isn't about possibilities here. I mean, Josef Beranek once scored 50 points in a season. So it is POSSIBLE that he could do it again. But what is a realistic expectation for him? So Smyth and Comrie could both score 70 points; I'm not denying that. You posted in response to my post in response to another poster. My argument with you is out of context, because I'm not saying it's impossible for Smyth and Comrie to score 70 points. That poster said it would be a "horrible disappointment" if we only had one 70 point player. I'm saying that it wouldn't be so bad if we had one, and that it is unreasonable to expect two.

Old
12-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Mizral

Bumping some posts, I'm looking at some old posts and I find some of 'em like these very very interesting!

I'm pretty pleased with my predictions so far, though I'm wrong on a couple too (Reasoner, Dvorak, and Torres).

Old
12-24-2003, 03:29 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Bumping some posts, I'm looking at some old posts and I find some of 'em like these very very interesting!

I'm pretty pleased with my predictions so far, though I'm wrong on a couple too (Reasoner, Dvorak, and Torres).
Well, I don't think anyone thought Torres would have this many goals so far, so that's forgiveable. Dvorak has special circumstances, and Reasoner's been hurt. Pretty good list, Mizral, plus you had the G giving up 240 which would be a dream at this point but it looks like the rest of us were farther off.

Still, there's alot of season to go.

Old
12-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Well, I don't think anyone thought Torres would have this many goals so far, so that's forgiveable. Dvorak has special circumstances, and Reasoner's been hurt. Pretty good list, Mizral, plus you had the G giving up 240 which would be a dream at this point but it looks like the rest of us were farther off.

Yeah, I'm still hoping Dvorak can start putting up way more goals in the 2nd half (get to at least 24 would be nice), and Chimera can turn things around.

As for the goals against, maybe I just had less faith in the defense/goalie you guys did. The forwards I never questioned. This bunch can score. This is part of the reason why I'm dumbfounded that when people make posts about 'how to fix the Oilers', they have more forwards coming to Edmonton.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:45 AM
Mizral

Quote:

Thought I'd rebump this, things are a bit further along.

Kudos to the guy who had Torres at, I believe 15 goals or so. You'll probobly be the closest of us all guessing his stats.

You know, looking back on this really makes me dissapointed in Radek Dvorak. I really thought he would have a great year, but he's really not doing anything all that special so far. Maybe he'll come back and have a better year next year.

If not for York's injury, I think he would have hit 70 points, I really do. Though, injury or not, I think he'll lead the team in points.

Lots of dissapointment with Smyth, but another one is Brewer whom isn't really doing anything offensivly. On the other hand, Cory Cross is outstanding offensivly in comparison.

I have a feeling Jarrett Stoll is gonna have a big year next year. He is really progressing along quite nicely.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:52 AM
Lowetide

I think we all have a few hits and a few misses, probably would have lost a few $$ in Vegas if we'd laid bets.

I would like to point out my Horcoff prediciton is stunning!

Old
02-02-2004, 02:55 AM
Mizral

Quote:
I think we all have a few hits and a few misses, probably would have lost a few $$ in Vegas if we'd laid bets.

I would like to point out my Horcoff prediciton is stunning!
You're probobly dead on on your Dvorak numbers too. I way overestimated him. 32 goals. Yeesh, 22 would be nice now.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:58 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
You're probobly dead on on your Dvorak numbers too. I way overestimated him. 32 goals. Yeesh, 22 would be nice now.
Yeah, but there's been alot going on with Dvorak. A sick baby, a wife a long ways away, it was a nightmare for him at the beginning.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:28 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey

Georges Laraque (5-6-11) Another step back, Lowe is happy he only signed for one year.

Steve Staios (4-16-20) Looks tired going in to the playoffs due to 23 minutes per game - Staios-style.
Jason Smith (1-13-14) Plays his heart out, and leads by example. Still making terrible outlet passes. Scores only goal in last game with a beautiful end-to-end highlite-reel effort.
Alexei Semenov (6-7-13) Scores a few powerplay goals, but shows a bit of sophmore jinx. After about 20 games in-and-out of the pressbox, starts to pull things together again during the stretch drive.

Goaltenders
Tommy Salo (60 GP, 29W, 0.912, 2.41) A slow start sees him watching Conklin from the bench for much of late October and November, but draws in right before the Heritage game - agianst Toronto and gets a shut out. From that point on he goes on a tear and starts to win back the fans.
Ty Conklin (28 GP, 12W, 0.901, 2.64) A great training camp gives MacT the confidence to dress him as Salo slumps, but proves he's not number one material yet and starts to slump a bit in mid-November.
My forward line predictions are terrible, but these aren't too far off.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:45 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
My forward line predictions are terrible, but these aren't too far off.
I don't have much to add here, except to say The Office is a brilliant show.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:52 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace
I don't have much to add here, except to say The Office is a brilliant show.
I just saw the first few episodes over Christmas and laughed my ass off! It's a shame they're only doing the two seasons (from what I've heard).

Old
02-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Digger12

Quote:
I just saw the first few episodes over Christmas and laughed my ass off! It's a shame they're only doing the two seasons (from what I've heard).
I don't know who that guy is in your avatar, but he makes me snicker every time I see him. Dude's got rhythm.

Old
02-02-2004, 09:12 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I don't know who that guy is in your avatar, but he makes me snicker every time I see him. Dude's got rhythm.
He's from The Office - a BBC show that just won the Golden Globe for best comedy series. Its a mockumentary type show done in the style of Venture magazine, about an office manager who thinks he's the best there is - but he actually sucks and everyone hates him.

To see where I got my avatar, check out this clip - it's awesome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffic...t/dancer.shtml

Old
02-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Digger12

Quote:
To see where I got my avatar, check out this clip - it's awesome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffic...t/dancer.shtml
That was gold!

Hilarious how the clapping slowly subsides as the guy just keeps going...then the little golf clap at the end.

Closed Thread