HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Sobre Assessment of Mike Komisarek

Old
02-12-2007, 01:36 PM
JV

vCash: 500
A Sobre Assessment of Mike Komisarek

Komisarek does not intimidate anyone. He's a bigger than avearge d-man who plays the body pretty well, doesn't take too many penalties, can't fight worth a spit, moves the puck no better than half the other d-men in the league, and has decent enough positional skills at this stage. He's reported to have a hard shot, but it's seldom on the net and and he doesn't seem to have gained any skill at getting in position to let it go. His skating is above average for a guy his size and he's still young, so there's still some upside. All things considered, though, he's unlikely to emerge as a true top-pairing guy unless paired with someone who can really control the flow in his own end. Likely a 3 or 4 guy. Not a guy to build around.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:38 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
I dont disagree with some of those statements...

But where the hell did this come from?

Last edited by GoneAway: 02-12-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old
Habs13

Insanity. Dosen't intimidate anyone? Talk to Darcy Tucker. Faught Bashear with much better results than Downey. In short, I totally disagree with your post.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
Komisarek does not intimidate anyone.
Did you miss his hit on Neil last game? We don't have a single player who can throw the body like that. Komisarek's been a consistent bright spot all year long.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
NewGuy

I'll wait for the drunken assessment.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
... you sure your a habs fan ???

you sure look like a leafs troll on that .. nice try !

komisarek is the best physical presence on our team period !!

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:46 PM
le_sean

Actually the last few games I've seen him going across ice to get the big hit when players aren't looking. Very Scott Stevens-like. One day he'll get that big hit and teams will be aware of it. I think he is improving drastically, and he just turned 25.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Pascal

Komi is great. Sure, he isn't the next coming of Bobby Orr, but I love his physical play AND his leadership. He's a great guy overall, and I think most habs fans are quite realistic in what kind of player he is/will become. He'll be a very solid physical dman with an "A" on his jersey before long.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:47 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I agree with most of the reponses, he is a very solid dman that is still very young. He hits hard and often.....is he not top five in the league in hits? Add to that his improving offence and he is a very broight spot on the point for the Habs. Is he perfect? No but no dman is. To say at this point he does not have the ability to be a top pairing dman is hogwash.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:49 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
... you sure your a habs fan ???

you sure look like a leafs troll on that .. nice try !

komisarek is the best physical presence on our team period !!

+1.

I love the way komo throws his body around, hes not afraid to go behind the net or in the corners and throw a big hit.

Huge presence on the point.

I would label him as an untouchable.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:50 PM
tritone

Quote:
Komisarek does not intimidate anyone. He's a bigger than avearge d-man who plays the body pretty well, doesn't take too many penalties, can't fight worth a spit, moves the puck no better than half the other d-men in the league, and has decent enough positional skills at this stage. He's reported to have a hard shot, but it's seldom on the net and and he doesn't seem to have gained any skill at getting in position to let it go. His skating is above average for a guy his size and he's still young, so there's still some upside. All things considered, though, he's unlikely to emerge as a true top-pairing guy unless paired with someone who can really control the flow in his own end. Likely a 3 or 4 guy. Not a guy to build around.

Maybe we should trade him for Aucoin t.r.o.l.l.i.n.g. is not good.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:53 PM
zednik20

ya...lets trade him too...

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:57 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
KOMI is great.

People like you should be brought to the town square and dealt with.....

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Komisarek will start intimidating people when we will start dropping the gloves. It tooked everything to Neil to make Komisarek to drop the gloves. Komisarek can hit big time, but I agree, nobody is afraid of him. They just continue to hit the MTL goalies because they know Komisarek wont do anything more than the others. The day Komisrarek will drop the gloves to kick a player's ass without any hesitations 1 second after he hitted our goalie, they will start to think about it. Komi dosent own this "mean streak".

But for all others aspects of his game, i thing he's a exellent D-men. He's big, somehow mobile. Good hitting habilities and he is good in defence.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Quiet Robert

I disagree with much of the OP's assessment.

Komisarek is 2nd in the league in hits, 3rd in adjusted hits. Sometimes he doesn't seem to be as aggressive as he was early in the year, although lately he has been getting his mean streak back which is when he's effective. He's still hitting, and although like most of the team he doesn't look to have the confidence of October-December, he's still eating up the minutes and playing solid physical hockey.

As for the arguments about fights, I disagree. His fight against Neil was a draw in a nothing fight. He fought Brashear with decent results. Good fight against Winchester earlier in the year in which he had his jersey over his head. I'd like to see him drop the gloves a little more often to protect the goalie when people are crashing the crease, but I understand the way the game is called these days that's not always the best idea. But he isn't afraid to get in the middle of scrums and throw him weight around. Also, Komisarek isn't really an open fighter. He grapples and uses his strength, so his fights aren't very exciting.

And his offense, though it's not coming as some people expected, is getting pretty good. He's on pace for 16 points, and if he can become a regular 20 point guy, with the physicality and defensive play he brings, that's enough to be an excellent shut down guy.

The point I do agree with is building around him. I think it was Redline Report that made the Stevens comparisons and everyone jumped all over that and got waaaaay too excited. He's not going to be a franchise guy, but if you pair him with a slick guy like Markov, Komisarek can be a very effective shut down guy. I think he could develop into a Regher, Foote type of dman. A guy who will punish you down low, isn't the best puck mover, but can produce a few points and shut-down the opposition. In my opinion he's on his way there.

At this point, the way his development is going, I think he's pretty close to being a top pairing dman, and is already easily a top 4 guy. If you don't want to use "pairings" I think you can say he's well on his way to becoming a excellent shut-down guy capable of handling most of the league's forwards and make life miserable for them in the defensive zone. Again, a few people got overexcited and were expecting franchise type of guy (but when have shut-down guys really been franchise guys?) but I like the way he's developing and he just keeps improving, which is important.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
Komisarek will start intimidating people when we will start dropping the gloves. It tooked everything to Neil to make Komisarek to drop the gloves. Komisarek can hit big time, but I agree, nobody is afraid of him. They just continue to hit the MTL goalies because they know Komisarek wont do anything more than the others. The day Komisrarek will drop the gloves to kick a player's ass without any hesitations 1 second after he hitted our goalie, they will start to think about it. Komi dosent own this "mean streak".
He did that seveal times last year but as the league is showing, you're not allowed to protect your goalie.

Example : Bouillon gets 4 mintes for pushing Neil after he slashed Huet.

Then there's the Souray on Amstrong incident. 2+5+10+Game... for defending a player in the manor you sudgest.

Old
02-12-2007, 02:12 PM
FrankMTL

I absolutely love Komi...This guy is all heart and backs down from nobody. We need more players like this on the habs. He does not get intimidated by anybody.

He'd be a number 4-5 dman right now on a top team but he's number 3-4 on our team. The guy is only 25 and has improved leaps and bounds over the course of the last year. Remember, he started his hockey career late, and the guy is still learning. He might never have the offensive upside that we thought but if he turns out to be a Robyn Regehr type player who hits like a train and plays solid defence...i'll be as happy as can be..

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
He did that seveal times last year but as the league is showing, you're not allowed to protect your goalie.

Example : Bouillon gets 4 mintes for pushing Neil after he slashed Huet.

Then there's the Souray on Amstrong incident. 2+5+10+Game... for defending a player in the manor you sudgest.
You have to admit that the 2 refs were totaly stupid to gave 2+5+10 to Souray. I would have give 2+5 to souray and 5 to Armstrong. That would have been the good way to go.

You remember when Brad Winchester and Komisarek fought ? Winchester "jumped" on Komisarek. He wasnt awaiting this. Even if Winchester ran into our goalie. That is what i mean by adding some violence. I dont say he must try to kill the other player. But sometimes, you have to show you're a willing combattent or, at least, you must keep in mind the other player will maybe try to retaliate.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
You have to admit that the 2 refs were totaly stupid to gave 2+5+10 to Souray. I would have give 2+5 to souray and 5 to Armstrong. That would have been the good way to go.

You remember when Brad Winchester and Komisarek fought ? Winchester "jumped" on Komisarek. He wasnt awaiting this. Even if Winchester ran into our goalie. That is what i mean by adding some violence. I dont say he must try to kill the other player. But sometimes, you have to show you're a willing combattent or, at least, you must keep in mind the other player will maybe try to retaliate.
I agree on the penalty to Souray and Armstong.

There was a game last year where Komisarek went after somebody that had run Huet and pummeled the guy before the had the chance to drop the gloves... I can remember who it was and I'm pretty sure he did that a few times last season.

Old
02-12-2007, 02:32 PM
kostitsyn1489

Well its pretty much like saying that Phaneuf or regher doesnt intimidate anyone because they dont drop gloves... I agree that komi could/should drop glove more often but I dont want him to spend 5 minutes in the box because the other goon is looking at him. I want komi to crush other team's best player over spending 5 minutes in the box because he fought the most useless player on the other team... Sometime when the guy is too active and he's looking at our best player you just go at him and you kick his ass like him an souray do sometimes but he muststay in his game and not running at guy like mcgreattan or brashear just for the fun of fighting them.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Kostitsyn404*

Mark my words: Within a few years Komisarek will be minimum top 2 d-man, on top of that he'll be one of the best stay at home D-men in the league. Doesn't take a genius or a scout to see his level of progession and what he is capable of.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Unlike pretty much everybody before me, I think you just share some read and you haven't actually wrote this, but still, it's confusing...

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Next Best Thing*

Yeah right! Who is this guy, let's waive him.

I can't remember exactly which game it was, maybe the last pens or first ottawa match, but he kept flattening one guy who kept trying to beat him with speed along the boards. Later on during the game he stopped doing that move when he saw Komo ahead. I guess that's not intimidation, he just had a sudden change of heart, yeah...

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Habs13

It was Goddard of the Islanders... here is the link;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEdbAyPNUTY

And some more Komisarek clips;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTvdgYBQ2ek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiHtz64QthI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Wv27cTWaE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OfTAwpdl2s

Old
02-12-2007, 02:40 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

He's really the only Habs defenceman who is willing to play physically each and every shift.

You need a few of those guys on every team.

Personally I think the Habs could use another Komi or two.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote