HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great unknown stories about Messier

Old
02-11-2007, 10:55 AM
MadHookUp

vCash: 500
Great unknown stories about Messier

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...87667-sun.html

Article is titled a little weird and makes no mention of Messier on the front page, so I can see how people would skip by it. But I thought it was a good read, and I wanted to post it here. But it seems to be a bunch of stories about Mark Messier from ex-teammates. Lots of stuff I didnt know about a guy. I highly suggest some of the Messier bashers on this forum to read it.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:04 AM
WheresBarnaby

It's critical that the Rangers infuse more attitude like Mess's in the locker room. He was awesome.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:00 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I just loved the way he played the game. I remember the 1st year Edmonton was in the NHL, everyone was mocking them, especially Gretzky. Well they were struggling and needing defensive help and there was a strong rumor of Dave Maloney going to Edmonton for this big raw boned player named Messier who was have a rough intro into the NHL. Most NYR fans were dead set against the deal. I had seen some WHA games and had seen Messier. He had some much power in his stride. Reminded me of the Big M, Frank Mahovlich.

Well of course we didn't make the deal, then, the rest of course is history.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:08 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I just loved the way he played the game. I remember the 1st year Edmonton was in the NHL, everyone was mocking them, especially Gretzky. Well they were struggling and needing defensive help and there was a strong rumor of Dave Maloney going to Edmonton for this big raw boned player named Messier who was have a rough intro into the NHL. Most NYR fans were dead set against the deal. I had seen some WHA games and had seen Messier. He had some much power in his stride. Reminded me of the Big M, Frank Mahovlich.

Well of course we didn't make the deal, then, the rest of course is history.
Damn, I'd never heard that one. Wonder how Mess would have impacted the Rangers and vice versa if he had come over in 82. That would have been incredible being a Rangers fan.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:12 PM
clmetsfan

I remember the Darren Langdon story from Messier Night last year. Just a perfect example of how he would do anything to make guys feel comfortable.

That statement about wanting to be the GM was stupid, but hopefully everyone will look past it and he can start being groomed for a front office role. Mess should be back with the Rangers in whatever capacity needed.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Speedtrials

Those are great stories and I really think Shanahan is trying to fill that role with this group right now. I know it is pointless to think, but imagine what even a 34 year old Messier could do for this team.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Too bad they missed the first Russian (of the 4) to have his name on the Stanley Cup.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:50 AM
The Thomas J.*

I actually just finished reading the Latest Messier book, Good read, alot of the same stuff as Carprniello's book, but had alot more of the early Oilers days and as well as his child hood and WHA days as well. Interesting to see how he Evolved from a strong minded hard drinking diving fast living on the edge kid into the hero he is today.

Also This book picks up where Carprniello's book leaves off, goes into the Vancouver Stint, some of it we know , most of it was new to me.

I love reading little articles and stories about Mess.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:01 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
It's critical that the Rangers infuse more attitude like Mess's in the locker room. He was awesome.
yes he was .... till he lost that edge he had that he didnt care what he did and who you were ... only that his team won and he would do anything to make it so. he lost that during the world cup against the USA when he just couldnt bring himself to go after leetch to slow him down, or richter to get him off his game. jeff klein wrote in a book about messier that that was the point in his career that he lost his true ability to lead and be the player he always had been..... very interesting book

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:11 AM
Leprechaun

Classy guy. Can't help but have a tremendous level of respect for him.

Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:26 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
yes he was .... till he lost that edge he had that he didnt care what he did and who you were ... only that his team won and he would do anything to make it so. he lost that during the world cup against the USA when he just couldnt bring himself to go after leetch to slow him down, or richter to get him off his game. jeff klein wrote in a book about messier that that was the point in his career that he lost his true ability to lead and be the player he always had been..... very interesting book
I read that too, I rememer when that happened, I had a slightly diffrent take on it than and somehwhat feel the sameway now, but I can see how that would be the begining of the end as it was. I Think Mess would feel diffrently.

We will just never know what would have happened to the Franchise had Mess never left for Vancover.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:40 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I read that too, I rememer when that happened, I had a slightly diffrent take on it than and somehwhat feel the sameway now, but I can see how that would be the begining of the end as it was. I Think Mess would feel diffrently.

We will just never know what would have happened to the Franchise had Mess never left for Vancover.
im sure he wouldve seen it as partly an evolution in his character ... and it was just too bad he and NYR couldnt reach common ground to avoid the van trip

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:52 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
And he always spoke from the heart. There have been a lot of lines about his emotion, about how he should be sponsored by Kleenex. But his emotion and heart took him in a lot of different directions.
And he backed it up with his actions. That article gave a lot of examples. You hear from players all the time about how their goal is to win the Stanley Cup. But how many players who say that really, truly mean it, mean it enough to make all the sacrifices necessary? That part about Messier tearing up when Keenan showed the Yankees victory parade sums it up pretty nicely. Messier was all about winning.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:58 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...87667-sun.html

Article is titled a little weird and makes no mention of Messier on the front page, so I can see how people would skip by it. But I thought it was a good read, and I wanted to post it here. But it seems to be a bunch of stories about Mark Messier from ex-teammates. Lots of stuff I didnt know about a guy. I highly suggest some of the Messier bashers on this forum to read it.
thanks for posting that link. Those are great little anecdotes.
thanks thanks thanks.

AGraveOne is offline   Reply With Quote