HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread II (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2014, 02:28 PM
  #151
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,992
vCash: 50
Congrats to Team Canada. I thought their goalies were about even.. both played really well. Offense... well an edge there to Canada as they put out more consistent and sustained pressure but I think the defense is where Canada really had the edge.

Overall they had a very solid game and squeezed out a well deserved victory.

Sweden will not be an easy opponent for the Gold medal game. The Swedes as a group likely have an advantage on the big ice and obviously their goaltending will be solid as well. I think it again comes down to how defensively constricting Canada can play to limit Sweden's chances.

I think Canada can do it... but I actually anticipate a team that will be even harder to beat than this USA team.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:35 PM
  #152
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I had a small heart attack when Marleau threw it at the empty cage from a bad angle near the end. Jesus, just eat it.
Had the exact same reaction. Reminded me of Getzlaf in the last game.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:35 PM
  #153
BleedingOil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
like i said 6-1 2-1 1-0 wtf is the difference.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:35 PM
  #154
Pablo Aimar
Registered User
 
Pablo Aimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Saving it for OT

#kunitzformvp #betterthanhall #betterthanstlouis #whosgiroux
I expect it to happen at this point. Gold wining goal by Kunitz.

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:38 PM
  #155
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,977
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Wonder how much credit Krueger deserves as Canada's big ice guru.
Probably more than he'll get. The guy is much smarter than he got credit for here

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:39 PM
  #156
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,605
vCash: 500
I can't believe people thought canada was going to lose that game

This is the best Olympics they've ever had

This team is borderline flawless defensively and Price - the only question mark to speak of - has been sublime.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:46 PM
  #157
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah like I noted after the Latvia game the Canadian D and team play has been pretty good. Not giving teams much of anything. Weren't going to give the US much either and tbh I wasn't even worried. Canada dominated this game and dictated the way it was played from the opening. Quick kept his club in it.
Yes we dominated and didnt give up much but one little slip could have turned the game right around. The US gets lucky and the puck goes off Price's foot into the net instead of sailing straight through it could have been a tie game, could have come down to a shootout and then who knows what happens.

I suspect the game against the Swedes will be similarly tight.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:50 PM
  #158
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Probably more than he'll get. The guy is much smarter than he got credit for here
I don't think he was a very good NHL coach, but he obviously knows how big ice works, and we've never seen Canada play this style of game at a WC or Olympics before.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:11 PM
  #159
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Congrats to Team Canada. I thought their goalies were about even.. both played really well. Offense... well an edge there to Canada as they put out more consistent and sustained pressure but I think the defense is where Canada really had the edge.

Overall they had a very solid game and squeezed out a well deserved victory.

Sweden will not be an easy opponent for the Gold medal game. The Swedes as a group likely have an advantage on the big ice and obviously their goaltending will be solid as well. I think it again comes down to how defensively constricting Canada can play to limit Sweden's chances.

I think Canada can do it... but I actually anticipate a team that will be even harder to beat than this USA team.
Good summary, I think goal-tending and forwards are pretty much even. Canada still has the edge on D though. Canada had a edge in play, but, a couple breaks and the US could have easily won.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:18 PM
  #160
tv14
Registered User
 
tv14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,035
vCash: 50
What a defensive clinic! Near perfect game for Canada. Hoping the offence gets going on Sunday, my heart can't handle another 1 goal game!

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:41 PM
  #161
duul
Registered User
 
duul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 50
Our defence is rock solid. Probably the best we've ever had since I started watching the Olympics at least.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:42 PM
  #162
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
So I take it that watching the gold medal game in a bar just isn't gonna happen, eh? Can't see the AGLC allowing any bars to open that early.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:43 PM
  #163
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Broncos View Post
So I take it that watching the gold medal game in a bar just isn't gonna happen, eh? Can't see the AGLC allowing any bars to open that early.
I think they did for the World cup of soccer. No selling booze though iirc.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:45 PM
  #164
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up
 
Matt Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 3,174
vCash: 50
So happy that Canada won, yall dont even know. I was getting so much flak from my American co-workers and friends before the game. Tails between their legs now.

Game is at 4 am, friggin terrible (I am a dual citizen living in California but from Atlanta...)

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:47 PM
  #165
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,605
vCash: 500
I'm in Banff all weekend.

Anyone got some suggestions for where to watch the game Sunday morning?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 04:08 PM
  #166
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
Per Dan Grummett from CTV via Twitter:

"@DGrummettCTV: AGLC now says due to the "great enthusiam" of hockey fans, they will now start serving liquor at 5 a.m. Sunday morning to coincide with game"

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 04:14 PM
  #167
Cam98
Registered User
 
Cam98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Broncos View Post
Per Dan Grummett from CTV via Twitter:

"@DGrummettCTV: AGLC now says due to the "great enthusiam" of hockey fans, they will now start serving liquor at 5 a.m. Sunday morning to coincide with game"
so its now stay up all night and continue drinking, or wake up early and let the drinking begin. lol

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 04:20 PM
  #168
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
so its now stay up all night and continue drinking, or wake up early and let the drinking begin. lol
Pretty much. I'm just curious to know which bars will actually be open. I'd prefer to stay in St Albert if I can.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 06:53 PM
  #169
BleedingOil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I can't believe people thought canada was going to lose that game

This is the best Olympics they've ever had

This team is borderline flawless defensively and Price - the only question mark to speak of - has been sublime.
but but we score enough.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 07:38 PM
  #170
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,214
vCash: 500
After the Olympics the Sc seems like an afterthought at least for this season.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 07:42 PM
  #171
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
After the Olympics the Sc seems like an afterthought at least for this season.
Really? I didn't even bother to watch most games in this tournament. Theres about a handful of teams that are contenders for the gold. The rest along for a ride.

I usually just start watching during the elimination games.

I can see people getting hyper excited because the ladies won and the Men are in the final but SC playoffs is still the best hockey found anywhere on the planet.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 07:46 PM
  #172
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Our defence is rock solid. Probably the best we've ever had since I started watching the Olympics at least.
I think the last one gives this one a run for its money.

Pronger
Neidermayer
Keith
Seabrook
Weber
Doughty
Boyle

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:06 PM
  #173
Unsustainable
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Unsustainable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I think the last one gives this one a run for its money.

Pronger
Neidermayer
Keith
Seabrook
Weber
Doughty
Boyle
On paper, that one is definitely better. Based on results though this group has performed better.

Unsustainable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:12 PM
  #174
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up
 
Matt Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 3,174
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I think the last one gives this one a run for its money.

Pronger
Neidermayer
Keith
Seabrook
Weber
Doughty
Boyle
While by name, you are correct. I believe that when you take into account the stage in his career that each player is in, I think the current roster is better. They have certainly performed better. Now if all those players were in their prime, they'd wipe the floor with this year's (we haven't seen Pies, Subban, or perhaps even Doughty in their primes).

It's close though

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:53 PM
  #175
BleedingOil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Yes we dominated and didnt give up much but one little slip could have turned the game right around. The US gets lucky and the puck goes off Price's foot into the net instead of sailing straight through it could have been a tie game, could have come down to a shootout and then who knows what happens.

I suspect the game against the Swedes will be similarly tight.
lol we could have got lucky and had a few bounces as well.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.