HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Have you guy's seen the standings?

Old
02-12-2007, 01:11 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan View Post
Remember the Ranger's aren't on the ice again until Thursday... we'll see how far away we are by then.
This is true but by then we'll have a lot of games in hand so it's not such a horrible thing as long as we keep winning. Plus maybe we'll get lucky and TB, NYI and TOR will have bad games until then.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I think with a few 3 or 4 game winning streaks this team can actually get into the PO's fairly high. With some teams struggling and the Rangers having some games in hand on those teams(Carolina and I think Montreal also) this is a prime time to get those points. They just need to come out with a strong game against Carolina on thursday, it wont be easy but I feel like they can take the 2 points from the 'Canes.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I think with a few 3 or 4 game winning streaks this team can actually get into the PO's fairly high. With some teams struggling and the Rangers having some games in hand on those teams(Carolina and I think Montreal also) this is a prime time to get those points. They just need to come out with a strong game against Carolina on thursday, it wont be easy but I feel like they can take the 2 points from the 'Canes.
totally agree with King Henrik...we should beat the Canes and we will do nicely with the games in hand

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:00 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The Rangers destiny is less about where they stand right now so much as which Rangers team shows up.

The one that hustles and plays with some semblence of unity or the one that looks lost out there.

The issue for this team has been and will continue to be consistency.
One can make the same argument for any mediocre team. All teams, even the bad ones, from time to time look like Cup winners. The definition of mediocrity is inconsistency.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
One can make the same argument for any mediocre team. All teams, even the bad ones, from time to time look like Cup winners. The definition of mediocrity is inconsistency.
Yes and No.

I think all mediocre teams have their up's and down's but there are many ways to get to that point.

Some are inconsistent, some underachieve, some overachieve. Some just can't hang with certain teams.

I do, at the end of the day, believe the Rangers can hang with most teams. It's a matter of effort more than anything else.

For example the Islanders and Rangers are both pretty close right now, but I believe if they both played to their abilities the Rangers are a better team.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Fletch

That's the key, Edge...

if Kovalev played to his abilities, he would've been a top 5 NHLer over the last 10 years (and that's even if all others played to their abilities too). The one difference between the Rangers and Isles is the Isles get up for every game. The Rangers do not (perhaps they think they're better than other teams on paper too often, which they are). The li'l engines that could very often run out of steam during the stretch run; we'll see what happens here. If you had to make a prediction, you'd likely predict the Isles fall out while the Rangers make a real surge and leapfrog into the middle when all's said and done, but as we've seen with these Rangers (and you probably remember talking about this in December), they'll win four (against mediocre teams), then go back to losing a couple here and winning a couple there.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
If you had to make a prediction, you'd likely predict the Isles fall out while the Rangers make a real surge and leapfrog into the middle when all's said and done, but as we've seen with these Rangers (and you probably remember talking about this in December), they'll win four (against mediocre teams), then go back to losing a couple here and winning a couple there.
If I had to make a prediction (based on past experience) the team will win a few, lose a win, win a few etc...and stay just close enough to seem like they could make it, but in the end fall short.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Leprechaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The Rangers destiny is less about where they stand right now so much as which Rangers team shows up.

The one that hustles and plays with some semblence of unity or the one that looks lost out there.

The issue for this team has been and will continue to be consistency.
It think it would be more accurate to say that the issue has been and will continue to be the consistency of their work ethic.

Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
It think it would be more accurate to say that the issue has been and will continue to be the consistency of their work ethic.
Probably a better way to word it.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 08:38 PM
broadwayblue

so when should we expect to receive our playoff invoices? i'm guessing they'll be arriving in the mail in the next couple weeks.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
If I had to make a prediction (based on past experience) the team will win a few, lose a win, win a few etc...and stay just close enough to seem like they could make it, but in the end fall short.

Yeah....They've been doin that for years. I can definitely see them going on a two game losing skid at the end of the season and them not having enough points to get into the playoffs...It's too bad they couldn't have got some wins against the Islanders.

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:56 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Food for thought

http://newyorkrangers.com/pressbox/p...es.asp?id=2672

Quote:
In each of the past four NHL seasons, a team with fewer than 27 wins after 56 games not only made the playoffs but also went to the Conference Finals. Last season it was Anaheim, which had 26 wins through 56 games. In 2004, it was San Jose, also with 26. Both the Ducks and Sharks won 17 of their final 26 games to get into the playoffs. In 2003, Anaheim had 26 wins after 56 games and needed only 14 more victories down the stretch to qualify.

"Look at Calgary when they went to the finals in 2004," said Avery. "I think they were in 10th or 11th place at one point. "I remember they were trying to catch us when I was in L.A., and they did, and then they went on a run to the finals. And the same thing with Anaheim prior to that. They played great, too."
You gotta believe

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:04 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
You gotta believe
You figure a team would be better suited entering the playoffs fighting for a spot than losing x games in a row.

After looking at the standing and the schedule, I get the feeling that the Rangers and Islanders will be fighting for the 8th spot in the last week of the season.

02-13-2007, 01:47 AM
Leprechaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
After looking at the standing and the schedule, I get the feeling that the Rangers and Islanders will be fighting for the 8th spot in the last week of the season.
That would certainly make things interesting. It was obvious the end of the season would interesting but a race with the isles would make it that much more so.

Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote