HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Frustrated with the Oilers?

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 10:20 PM
oilbaron

vCash: 500
Frustrated with the Oilers?

Call 414-4000, press 5, and then press 1.

Let the man know how you feel.

Old
02-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Oi'll say!

Pretend you're a season ticket holder when you do it, unless you're from New Westminster. The man listens to seasons tickets holders.

Is that # for real?

Old
02-02-2004, 04:34 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Is that # for real?
Its administration

Old
02-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Mr Sakich

I was real upset on Saturday night but yesterday changed my mind. I took my daughter sledding in the mountains and had a perfect day. We all have to prioritize and spectator sports just went down a notch or two.

As for being frustrated, tell me another team with our payroll that is a playoff team 7 of the last 8 years. It isn't mngt's fault that Tommy has let us down, or Oates. or Comrie, or Smyth. The players play the game and mngt put a pretty good team out there. Right now, my anger is at the CBA which does not allow for a level playing field. We are the poor cousins of the nhl. Must be nice to be the flames with and extra 4 mill in salary. That would pay for Lang (his contract is 5 mill but spectors say the caps will eat a mill)

Follow this link and it becomes a little harder to get worked up over something as trivial as the plight of the oilers.

http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/mess...hreadid=115608

Old
02-02-2004, 09:45 PM
barto

Well, you could also argue that it IS management's fault for either bringing those guys in (Oates) or sticking with them too long (Salo?), or not being able to get the most out of them (Smyth, Comrie). If you look at LA and how *decimated* they've been with injuries, you can easily argue that their higher payroll means NOTHING, yet they're in the thick of things for a playoff spot while the Oilers look on.

So you could suggest that it took Lowe too long to get something back for Comrie & that what he got back wouldn't help the team this year, that the 'gamble' on signing Oates hasn't worked out as far as points-production goes, and then you can suggest that MacT didn't maximize his remaining assets very well (getting those players to reach their potential) like Smyth, Hemsky, maybe Brewer for a good chunk of the season, maybe Salo...

This was a season that started full of promise, and was going reasonably well until the Heritage Classic. What the heck happened??

Losing Reasoner hurt a LOT, obviously. Salo and Brewer were playing poorly at the start of the year, and Semenov couldn't even crack the lineup most nights. Smyth at center didn't work out, Hemsky regressed rather than progressed, Horcoff couldn't get back to the strong play he had shown the latter part of last season, Laraque was invisible, Isbister injured & ineffective most nights, ad nauseum.

Bright spots? Torres, obviously, and York showed us a lot (again). Dvorak overcame a slow start to be one of our best players. Ulanov's signing was genius, although in retrospect, about 3 months too late.

And yet, until the last 70 seconds of the LA game, the Oilers were *still in the hunt*! It's just bloody amazing, really.

But if most of us fans were deflated after the loss to the Kings, imagine how the players must feel... Going to be a big gut-check to see how they come out tonight!

Bart

Old
02-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
But if most of us fans were deflated after the loss to the Kings, imagine how the players must feel... Going to be a big gut-check to see how they come out tonight!

Bart
That's what I'm waiting for too...how much fight is left in them after such a humiliating defeat on national television? According to Guy, that dressing room after the game was an TOMB.

Even though our record against Anaheim is very good, I think tonight's going to be a tough one to gut out.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Mr Sakich

I was in the dressing room after the Hockey Day in Canada loss to the nucks two or three years ago. The room felt like a tomb that night as well. These guys have a lot of pride and it hurts every time they lose.

Next night, they played one of their best games that I ever saw ( a thrilling come from behind to beat Montreal). I think they will be fine tonight. They may not win, but I don't doubt their charactor.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:16 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I was in the dressing room after the Hockey Day in Canada loss to the nucks two or three years ago. The room felt like a tomb that night as well. These guys have a lot of pride and it hurts every time they lose.

Next night, they played one of their best games that I ever saw ( a thrilling come from behind to beat Montreal). I think they will be fine tonight. They may not win, but I don't doubt their charactor.
unfortunately, this is not the same team from two years ago. No Weight, No Marchant, No Niinimaa...no leadership. Thats the problem with having a young team. They get discouraged too easily.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:33 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto

Bart

Irregardless of win or lose, the amount of effort, heart and desire to perform will go along way to what forms my opinion of this team for next year.

As it sits, I still like the team in general and I look at games like Saturday and honestly believe the team played well enough that they deserved to win. Much like many nights this year.

However,since it appears to be in the cards for the Oil to miss the playoffs this year, I want to see what these guys are made of. Are they competetors and refuse to pack it in or are they also rans that are now looking ahead to an early summer.

Despite their position in the standings, there is still alot to learn about this team.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Irregardless of win or lose, the amount of effort, heart and desire to perform will go along way to what forms my opinion of this team for next year.

As it sits, I still like the team in general and I look at games like Saturday and honestly believe the team played well enough that they deserved to win. Much like many nights this year.

However,since it appears to be in the cards for the Oil to miss the playoffs this year, I want to see what these guys are made of. Are they competetors and refuse to pack it in or are they also rans that are now looking ahead to an early summer.

Despite their position in the standings, there is still alot to learn about this team.
Great point copperand blue

I bet oiler mngt feels the same way. Remember what they all said about pouliott - he came to play every night in spite of his team losing 30 in a row.

Closed Thread