HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
I said three years because that's when Eakin's current contract expires, depending on what results/locker room feed back make your decision from there
3 years is a long time to wait considering how far the team dropped the minute he stepped into the locker room.

I could be a bit more patient if the team was equal to or a bit better or worse than last season but it's like they jumped off a cliff. If some players had shown improvement that would be something but all of our young guns have plateaued.

The team had 3 points after their first 8 gp, they had 8 points at the end of Oct out of a possible 28.

Their best month so far was 13 points out of a possible 30 in Dec, but January was right back down to October's level again. They had 11 of 28 points including the two phantom points against the Sharks.

Seriously how many meaningful games have the Oilers played in the last 5 years? We had a lockout, so we were only in the playoff hunt for 6 weeks last season, this season we had 10 games or so right at the beginning of Oct but they lost almost every single one of them so it wasn't all that meaningful.

This is ******** if we start the next season with no better chances of making the playoffs than we had this season, and with virtually no chance at developing our young players.

Old
02-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Oi'll say!

I'm seriously hoping the Oilers have another 10 game skid so that there's no way for MacT to opt out of making a coaching change.

Old
02-22-2014, 07:11 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
3 years is a long time to wait considering how far the team dropped the minute he stepped into the locker room.

I could be a bit more patient if the team was equal to or a bit better or worse than last season but it's like they jumped off a cliff. If some players had shown improvement that would be something but all of our young guns have plateaued.

The team had 3 points after their first 8 gp, they had 8 points at the end of Oct out of a possible 28.

Their best month so far was 13 points out of a possible 30 in Dec, but January was right back down to October's level again. They had 11 of 28 points including the two phantom points against the Sharks.

Seriously how many meaningful games have the Oilers played in the last 5 years? We had a lockout, so we were only in the playoff hunt for 6 weeks last season, this season we had 10 games or so right at the beginning of Oct but they lost almost every single one of them so it wasn't all that meaningful.

This is ******** if we start the next season with no better chances of making the playoffs than we had this season, and with virtually no chance at developing our young players.
Eakins was signed for 4 years though, so just turfing him is a hit that Katz may not appreciate paying for, atleast with this idea, there's some bang for the buck, and the guy might learn a thing or 2 from a Laviolette/Maurice or any other veteran coach that might come here.

Old
02-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Eakins was signed for 4 years though, so just turfing him is a hit that Katz may not appreciate paying for, atleast with this idea, there's some bang for the buck, and the guy might learn a thing or 2 from a Laviolette/Maurice or any other veteran coach that might come here.
Katz should be used to throwing away money at this point.

Why worry about a couple of million lost over another coach when he's clearly willing to lose 10s of millions in revenue per year because he prefers his incompetent glory year buddies running the team instead of competent professionals.

Old
02-22-2014, 07:37 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Katz should be used to throwing away money at this point.

Why worry about a couple of million lost over another coach when he's clearly willing to lose 10s of millions in revenue per year because he prefers his incompetent glory year buddies running the team instead of competent professionals.
True enough, if Katz isn't bothered by it, that neither should we, but when the wasted dollars get to a certain point, you'd think Katz would tap his shoulder a time or two to spend more wisely.

Old
02-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
I'm withholding judgment until the season is over.

Old
02-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
What's the difference in salary of having Laviolette/Maurice and Eakins or just Laviolette/Maurice? I know they still have to pay Eakins either way, I just don't see the benefit of keeping him around.

Old
02-22-2014, 08:39 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
What's the difference in salary of having Laviolette/Maurice and Eakins or just Laviolette/Maurice? I know they still have to pay Eakins either way, I just don't see the benefit of keeping him around.
Either way, Laviolette/Maurice have the control/attention of the room so you may aswell put one of them in the head coach position. The difference would be if Katz says go ahead and fire Eakins, or he says "I'm not paying that man close to 5mil to stay at home."

Old
02-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
I'm withholding judgment until the season is over.
that is probably the best bet. they have at least looked better in the new year. if Eakins can get them to look like a legit NHL team that has 50-50 chance of winning most nights, then I will have some semblance of hope for next year, unlike now in which I have given up on next year and all but given up on this whole rebuild.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:13 AM
trexall

Ralph Krueger is the better coach and has a better understanding of the team game. He was instrumental in helping Babcock run team Canada's system to a tee.

Old
02-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trexall View Post
Ralph Krueger is the better coach and has a better understanding of the team game. He was instrumental in helping Babcock run team Canada's system to a tee.
Not much of a shocker that Krueger was there and not Eakins given their international experience, but it's still a bit of a kick in the junk to see Krueger there and now unemployed for the rest of the season while the Oilers gamble on Eakins and trade away players in an attempt to make him successful.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Kreuger isn't unemployed. He works for Southampton in the BPL.

Old
02-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Oi'll say!

I just noticed the Oilers finally passed their point total from the lockout season.

45 points in 48 games last season
45 points in 59 games this season. That's 23% more games played to get the same number of points.

I guess this is proof that the Oilers players got worse, time to make some trades right? LMAO.

Typical Oilers - no accountability whatsoever. The party line is that MacT made a great move to hire Eakins and it's unthinkable that Eakins is part of the problem. It's all on the players, mainly on the guy who played with a full face shield on.

Unless KLo hired MacT/Eakins to get Connor McDavid he's an idiot.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by trexall View Post
It looked to me, after the game, like Krueger was more in the loop among team Canada brass then Lowe. too funny. no question, the Oilers blew it on this coaching change in a big way. Not to mention that, after effectively ruining Krueger's NHL career for no reason at all, what good coach in their right mind work under Mact and KLowe?

Huge mistake # 29 of 30 in the on going debacle that is the demise of the Oilers.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
It looked to me, after the game, like Krueger was more in the loop among team Canada brass then Lowe. too funny. no question, the Oilers blew it on this coaching change in a big way. Not to mention that, after effectively ruining Krueger's NHL career for no reason at all, what good coach in their right mind work under Mact and KLowe?

Huge mistake # 29 of 30 in the on going debacle that is the demise of the Oilers.
I doubt Kreuger's coaching career can be considered over unless he decides he doesn't want to pursue it anymore. He has a lot of respect both in and outside of the NHL. He isn't dependant on his best buds for jobs(like our current GM), nor is he out of touch and past his prime(like Quinn).

Old
02-23-2014, 10:48 PM
oilphan

Is this idiot still our coach? Very excited by his tweet talking about how great 1-0 hockey games are and how that is how the game should be played.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Is this idiot still our coach? Very excited by his tweet talking about how great 1-0 hockey games are and how that is how the game should be played.
Had to go check that out -

Quote:
Looks like defence is the name of the game again. Swedes give up 1, Canada gives up 0 and both earn a shot at Gold. Love these 1 goal games.
He seems really stuck on the defense message, too bad he can't actually coach defense.

Of course, I'm sure Mactard will trade most of the offensive players on the rosters to try and float his Macdisaster of a coaching hire.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Baggers

Quote:
I actually don't think this is that big of a deal.

a) He was a defenceman in the NHL, so it's not that surprising that he looks at the game from this point of view.

b) Canada at 1-0 (both against the USA and against Sweden before they extended the league) was literally a thing of hockey- related beauty.

I think Eakins should have been sacked long ago (or not hired in the 1st place), but this doesn't bother me.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
well, then Yak is a good as gone. If they get what the need back, that will be ok. U just have to wonder how Mact could hire a guy that has no interest in the playing style of all your core players.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:16 AM
Sheikyerbouti

I loved Krueger and Renney, so I'm not one to blame the coach, but Eakins has been a disaster this far. That "crazy" man2man system of Ralph's made Dubnyk look good and kept us in games.

Eakins talks compete but it wasn't a problem under Ralph. If Renney was still here, I bet you aren't hearing Hall swearing and smacking his stick. The coaching carousal has been detrimental, no doubt, but I don't think Eakins is developing the players well enough to warrant more time. The PP has been all kinds of crazy and expecting Gag and Rnh to pin players like Thorton so we can swarm was a fool's errand.

But Mact isn't firing Eakins, he'd rather rebuild the scraps into their image. Time will tell.

Blame Katz; we could have had Nill and Ruff. I just can't get over that! Hell, we tanked our team because it was deemed too hard to get elite young talent, and it took Nill months to trade for one and draft another at 10.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
I loved Krueger and Renney, so I'm not one to blame the coach, but Eakins has been a disaster this far. That "crazy" man2man system of Ralph's made Dubnyk look good and kept us in games.

Eakins talks compete but it wasn't a problem under Ralph. If Renney was still here, I bet you aren't hearing Hall swearing and smacking his stick. The coaching carousal has been detrimental, no doubt, but I don't think Eakins is developing the players well enough to warrant more time. The PP has been all kinds of crazy and expecting Gag and Rnh to pin players like Thorton so we can swarm was a fool's errand.

But Mact isn't firing Eakins, he'd rather rebuild the scraps into their image. Time will tell.

Blame Katz; we could have had Nill and Ruff. I just can't get over that! Hell, we tanked our team because it was deemed too hard to get elite young talent, and it took Nill months to trade for one and draft another at 10.
The man to man system stuff was weird, several teams still use it to great effect. Just off the top of my head -

Detroit - "Back to Weiss, on his biggest adjustment in Detroit: playing man-to-man defence after a lifetime of zone coverage. During an exhibition loss to Pittsburgh last week, he said he was "looking to play the zone and then thought, 'Wait a minute, I gotta find somebody here."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...hls-elite.html

Colorado (along with implications of other top teams including St.Louis) - "It's man-to-man/support," Roy said of the defensive coverage he brought with him from his eight-year stint with major junior's Quebec Remparts. "More and more teams will have their defense men involved in the attack, and if you play (zone), you cannot follow them.

"All the teams that I've watched have success — St. Louis, Detroit and the other top teams — are doing it. And in order for us to have some success, there are things you have to copy, and this is one of the big things."

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...fensive-system

Judging from the results obtained under both Eakins/Kreuger, it's pretty clear that team personnel was the problem more than the coach last year(they were still hoping Whitney would be the top defenseman for example); while the coach is a much bigger part of the problem this year.

Old
02-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:

Yikes. I never even thought of that. it just looks uglier and uglier every time you turn.

well, Mact can win us over by making some savvy trades in a couple of weeks and Eakins can prove us (myself included) all wrong if the team finishes strong. they have looked better of late.

we shall see, in short order.

Old
02-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

1) Eh, short memories I guess. I seem to recall Hall being benched for periods at a time under Renney for throwing tantrums (much to this boards dismay, calling for Renney's head) and also being caught mouthing off/being pissed off on camera over having the goalie pulled in games where they were already down by 2 or 3 goals.

2) Nil traded away Louie Ericksson (with other pieces) to get Seguin. Which piece that the Oilers had (previous to Hall I guess) was remotely close to Louie Ericksson in value? And yeah, they got Nichushkin at 10 because 9 teams passed over him due to the infamous "Russian factor" its not like they found a needle in a haystack. They took a massive risk and it seems to have paid off.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:49 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Looks like defence is the name of the game again. Swedes give up 1, Canada gives up 0 and both earn a shot at Gold. Love these 1 goal games.

Right Dallas... now all the Oilers need is 6 top pairing dmen and they too will be able to play that type of hockey. I'm sure MacT is getting right on that.

Old
02-24-2014, 01:16 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Good goaltending always helps take the pressure off any other problems in your team. Scrivens and Bryzgalov have both made the net way more stable and its something we no longer have to worry about (this season anyway).

I've been kicking this around in my head though, in lieu of the romours that Mact was trying to get Maurice here as an associate coach, and mentor for Eakins. Say hypothetically Maurice agreed to this, wouldn't that neuter Eakins presence in the locker room? He would be labelled head coach, but Maurice is the one with the wisdom, so the players would be going to him with questions, and to get him to teach/show them certain things on the ice. This would be the situation even if the name is not Maurice. So my idea is this because with Eakin's contract, he is here for a while. In the off-season demote him to the associate coach role (and fire Buchburger!) , and hire the new person who is an NHL veteran as the true head coach, and have Eakins mentored this way for 3 seasons. By now (and by then) Eakins has gotten to know the players in the room, which keeps some continuity in the room, and he would learn more about coaching at the NHL level. I think this would be easier on the players in the room too, as this would be the proper set up for the chain of command.

Having Eakins as head coach, and the mentor the associate, when the mentor is clearly superior, is improper and stupid in my mind. Its putting the horse behind the wagon.
I don't think Eakins would make a good assistant. The leafs had him there in that role and instead of using it to groom him for an NHL head coaching position they preferred to make him head coach of the Marlies instead. He seems to be the type of personality that needs to be in charge.

As far as the situation goes that you're describing, it just doesn't happen where a head coach is demoted to assistant in the same organization. The players would lose all respect for him. The only time I can remember it happening in the NHL was when the Avalanche demoted Granato to hire Quennville after he couldn't win in the playoffs. Granato, in a season in a half, was about 30 games over .500. They thought there might be something worthwhile there with a bit of seasoning under an experienced coach so they didn't want to lose him. When Quennville left and they gave the job back to Granato the team floundered under him and they fired him after a season.

I just don't see enough to like about Eakins to think that taking this bizarre route would help him improve. If they are worried about having him under contract for four years and getting their money's worth then maybe they send him to the AHL if Nelson leaves the organization but even that doesn't make much sense because you have a potentially disgruntled employee that you've demoted handling all your prospects. This is why you fire the guy out right if you decide he isn't performing in the position you hired him for. Even though the Oilers march to the beat of their own drummer and do a lot of things most teams would never, ever consider doing, I doubt that even they would be this dysfunctional.

Closed Thread