HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tracking Preds in Sochi

Old
02-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

vCash: 500
Kane takes a penalty. Finland scores. This game may be over now..(((

Russian Pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 10:55 AM
INDhockeyfan

Kane really being the goat today. He has a penalty and now Finland scores on the PP 3-0.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

Alright, I'm out. 0:4. Terrible.

Russian Pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Jarnberg

Poile even comes up short in the Olympics...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It is poetic that Poiles hand crafted US roster is abysmal in the playoff portion of the Olympics and cannot score. It is so fitting.

That aside, I'm not so sure the results would have been different irregardless of gm.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 11:32 AM
INDhockeyfan

I put this on the players and coaching more then Poile. The team they had was good they just didn't come thru in the big games. If they had another day to recover after losing to Canada today may have been different. It was gold or bust for them while Finland was more than happy to win the Bronze.

Old
02-22-2014, 11:36 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
It is poetic that Poiles hand crafted US roster is abysmal in the playoff portion of the Olympics and cannot score. It is so fitting.

That aside, I'm not so sure the results would have been different irregardless of gm.
I don't think this team failed due to its makeup. As I called yesterday, the bronze medal wasn't enough to inspire the team to play today, which is pathetic.

I think the loss to canada was just mental… they have our number. Canada really isn't scoring either they just managed to score a single goal when it really mattered

as I said before, I hate this for Poile, and I really hate that Rinne wasn't the goalie for Finland, and that Hornqvist somehow got left off of team Sweden.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I have no idea why Hornqvist didn't make the tourney, and it does suck rinne is out.

I believe Bylsma is a huge reason the US were puny in the elimination rounds and against tough teams.

I also think there were issues with the teams build. Too much focus was placed on "grit, leadership, physicality" and not enough on creativity, transition game, and passing. Certain players are roster locks. But. The depth and bottomo half of the roster is not. Orpik? Martin? Brown? So many questionable decisions and it did not pay off.

Old
02-22-2014, 12:00 PM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I have no idea why Hornqvist didn't make the tourney, and it does suck rinne is out.

I believe Bylsma is a huge reason the US were puny in the elimination rounds and against tough teams.

I also think there were issues with the teams build. Too much focus was placed on "grit, leadership, physicality" and not enough on creativity, transition game, and passing. Certain players are roster locks. But. The depth and bottomo half of the roster is not. Orpik? Martin? Brown? So many questionable decisions and it did not pay off.
Yandle and Bobby Ryan are probably the only 2 players left off that were questionable and I don't think they would have made much difference. Paul Martin getting injured really hurt. USA still doesn't have the depth that Canada has especially with d men. Look at Canada's d men compared to the US. They are the ones making the difference for Canada right now as they aren't scoring much either.

Old
02-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Jarnberg

Poile picked the right players. We had injuries. The players failed. There wasn't any good players available anyway.

The excuses above that no doubt will be posted again and again sound just like the same excuses posted when the Preds flamed out of the playoffs in the exact same fashion.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 12:27 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
Yandle and Bobby Ryan are probably the only 2 players left off that were questionable and I don't think they would have made much difference. Paul Martin getting injured really hurt.
You got to plan for injuries. Yandle was a bigger omission than Ryan. Justin Faulk over Yandle??

Yandle would've helped the transition game, with or without Martin. And the guy can create offense.

All the "safe picks" such as Brown over Ryan do not surprise me.

I don't think Bylsma is a great coach. But in end, it was one goal. You have to score goals to win in hockey. A concept USA and the Predators only seem to take lightly. "We need goals"-- Dean Lombardi.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 12:31 PM
PFL615

So much for those high character blue collar guys Poile hand picked.

The US team mailed it in and embarrassed USA hockey in my opinion.

The excuses are laughable and like the poster said above the whole world got to see a Nashville Predators team with more skill. Can't get it done and flop aka poop the bed when things get tough ala Playoffs.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 01:17 PM
hockey diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
So much for those high character blue collar guys Poile hand picked.

The US team mailed it in and embarrassed USA hockey in my opinion.

The excuses are laughable and like the poster said above the whole world got to see a Nashville Predators team with more skill. Can't get it done and flop aka poop the bed when things get tough ala Playoffs.
Ditto. And Bylsma as coach was obviously a bad choice.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 01:36 PM
glenngineer

We lose 1-0 to the best team in the world and that's bad or an indictment on how Poile put the team together? We had what, 6 of the 11 top scorers in the NHL on our team, or it might have been goal scorers so either way, we had enough fire power. I watched the game and I have to say, it could've gone either way. No one player or team looked dominant out there. Both teams had good chances, they scored on a tip. Quick and Price both played amazing. Poile was not the problem.

I like to think this team on D is only going to get better once guys like Jones and other young kids start coming up through the system. The US is not as far behind as we once were. THe one thing we lack is a top center, other than that, we compare pretty well against Canada.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 01:44 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I watched the game and I have to say, it could've gone either way.
I think the first 10 or so minutes were pretty clearly in the USA's favor and the last 50 were quite comfortably controlled by Canada.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm sorry, but the excuses have to stop. Poile built this team. He chose the coach (who may be the worst coach outside of Russia's coach). He decided to choose grinders and character guys to fill out the lower lines rather than some of the higher skill players. This is what Poiles MO is. He builds a good, not great team, that competes well, but fails in big moments.

Poile is a great hockey mind and a good builder, but his vision has never proven successful, likely because when it comes to forwards, he undervalues skill and overvalues 'grit' and 'character'. When the playoffs occur and the elite teams remain, all teams have character and leadership, and it often comes down to that extra bit of skill that we do not have on the roster.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Enoch: 02-22-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old
02-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Kamikazepants

Call me crazy, but the roster was fine. There was plenty of skill, (Parise, Kessel, Kesler, Pacioretty, JVR, Pavelski) plenty of grit (Backes, Callahan, Brown) solid defense and proven big game goaltending. Orpik being included was probably my biggest gripe with the roster. I find little fault in the roster.

Hated the coaching choices though. Just referencing Pens fans, I haven't heard many positive things about Bylsma. Surely there are better choices than Bylsma and Laviolette, but I don't claim to know much about US coaches.

Frankly I thought yesterday had more to do with Canada than the US.

Kamikazepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 05:42 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

I almost wanna go over to the Olympics threads and say, "Welcome to our world, USA hockey fans."

And I agree with K-pants: the loss to Finland was more because of how we lost to Canada than anything else. Give this team one more day to mentally get over the loss in the semis, and the game might have gone differently.

(Instead, the Finns would have beat us 5-2 instead of 5-0...)

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 05:56 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazepants View Post
Call me crazy, but the roster was fine
VS an NHL team, yes this roster is "fine". VS other all-star teams? There were some questionable choices. Even at the time of selection, many people noted going with "safe" guys over the guys with more skill. And when push came to shove, we scored 0 goals.

I did not like the Bylasma choice at all. He's been living off his Stanley Cup in his first year. If Pittsburgh flames out again, I'm sure the'll be fired. I'm surprised Shero has waiting this long.

Team USA needs to go with Dean Lombardi next time around, and CERTAINLY a different coach.

Roster-wise you can only question a few decisions-- the safe over skill selections. A donkey could've picked the rest of them.

Last edited by dulzhok: 02-22-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old
02-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Kamikazepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
VS an NHL team, yes this roster is "fine". VS other all-star teams? There were some questionable choices. Even at the time of selection, many people noted going with "safe" guys over the guys with more skill. And when push came to shove, we scored 0 goals.

I did not like the Bylasma choice at all. He's been living of his Stanley Cu his first season as HC of the Pens. If Pittsburgh flames out again, I'm sure the'll be fired. I'm surprised Shero has waiting this long.

Team USA needs to go with Dean Lombardi next time around, and CERTAINLY a different coach.

Roster-wise you can only question a few decisions-- the safe over skill selections. A donkey could've picked the rest of them.
Can you elaborate on who was snubbed and who they would replace?

Edit: should have looked further up

Yandle, eh. Heard some good things and bad things about him. Meanwhile Faulk is excellent and I'd have a hard time putting Yandle in his place. Orpik's or Martin's place? Yes please.

Ryan would help as a goal scorer, but goal scoring was far from the issue, until Canada at least.

Guys like Backes Brown and Callahan are quite important. You need them when you have guys like Kane and Kessel who are allergic to board battles and contact and grinding it out. Give me balance, at least one line of it.

Last edited by Kamikazepants: 02-22-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Kamikazepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 08:26 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazepants View Post
Guys like Backes Brown and Callahan are quite important. You need them when you have guys like Kane and Kessel who are allergic to board battles and contact and grinding it out. Give me balance, at least one line of it.
We had four lines of "balance, grit and character". And we had 0 goals.

Old
02-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the only one I feel bad for is Poile. for him I could have stomached seeing Suter win gold.

for those who think this was effectively the gold medal game, think again… I fully expect Sweden to beat Canada. I also won't be a bit surprised if the Finns beat the US today. The Finns won't view the bronze as a disappointment, but I suspect the US will...
Survey says XXX

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 09:33 AM
INDhockeyfan

Canada was the best team. They dominated Sweden the same way they did the US. When it counts their best players show up. Crosby hadn't scored a goal all tourney and he scores today. Towes scores and played great defense the whole tourney. Carey Price stepped up and played great in goal with 2 shutouts in the last 2 games.

I don't think the US would have beaten Canada regardless of who they selected. The only reason it was 1-0 was because of Quick otherwise it would have been worse. If Kane had made that 1st penalty shot I think the US may have beaten Finland as getting a lead after a tough loss makes things easier. Even the 2nd penalty shot to make it 2-1 would have swung momentum. Kane didn't come thru when we needed him and he knows that more then anybody. We needed better leaders on that team then Parise, Suter, and Dustin Brown along with a better coach to get those guys ready for Finland. The gold or bust mentality pretty much sunk us for the bronze medal game. In 4 yrs some younger players like Jones will be ready and maybe we'll get a better coach.

Olympics is over and now time to switch back to complaining about the preds.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:56 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Survey says XXX
well I was 1 for 2….

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 10:18 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Some of you guys do realize that Poile didn't build this roster by himself, right? There was a committee who had incredible input into who was and wasn't on the roster. The Poile bashing isn't anything new, but when the entire blame is being put on his shoulders for a meltdown that no one saw coming it's just a bit silly. How much credit was thrown his way for the Silver medal team in 2010?

Poile has his many flaws for sure, but come on. At least be fair about the criticism.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote