HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

So, do we still need a 2nd Line Center?

Old
02-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
from the forwards over the last couple games, then why not like the defense? 20 goals in 11 games? That doesn't seem too bad.
I agree. The D and Henrik have for the most part given us every chance to win these games.

What we've needed is to score more goals.

We need to be able to roll 4 lines, and have the option of being creative with double shifting Jagr at times.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Leprechaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
from the forwards over the last couple games, then why not like the defense? 20 goals in 11 games? That doesn't seem too bad.
the defense certainly has been playing much better over the last couple of games, but i think the low number of goals against has more to do with Lundqvist's great play and a strong forecheck than it does with the improved defensive play. Even if they keep up the solid play on the blueline, I think it would be beneficial to make an upgrade. Sooner or later the deficiencies will come to light.

Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:50 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Wow....

Amazing what one trade can do to the chemistry of a team.

I think Avery was as hungry for New York as New York was for Sean Avery.

Philly is reportedly asking for #1 pick and a prospect for PF

I think adding Forsberg kills the chemisrty of the team, that they just now found. NO to Forsberg, we don't need an all-star team again. We're doomed when we have that look.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i simply do not see the Rangers trading youth for anyone over 30. If they make a trade and improve their current team, i feel it will be a long term move, like Zherdev, or Horton, etc, I just dont see them adding guys like Tkatchuk or Forsberg.

Gut feeling.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:59 PM
frozenrubber

As currently situated, yes, the Rangers still need a 2nd line center.

I hate Straka at center for oh so many reasons and it is only a matter of time when this becomes overly apparent.

Now with a more rolling four line approach we've seen, Avery can hang, but he really is still best suited in a 3rd line opposed to higher 2nd line billing.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:32 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
so lets Deal montoya, dubinsky, staal, Immonen, and Callahan while ur at it for forsberg and knuble. Id deal Prucha but not for any ufa. Horton that im willing to do, at least he aint a veteran and is a power forward who is young.
I dont know why you quote my post when clearly I suggest dealing Prucha for a young Horton. I dont remember mentionng Forsberg. Please dont pick on my post when you are the king of god awful trade proposals.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:49 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i was reading everyone's favorite rumorist Ekl%nd and it's refreshing to read that the Rangers are no longer mentioned in the Forsberg rumors. Would have cost too much! I'm not so sure Bertuzzi 1) will recover in time even play when we're pushing for the playoffs 2) recovers from his injury and is well enough to even make a difference in the few games he may or may not even play. big PASS.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 10:21 PM
NYROrtsFan

Straka hasn't necessarily worked at center in the past but now with the balance everything seems to have, it will be fine. When Straka has played center in the past, he was either on the 2nd line last year without much on the outside of him, or he was on the 1st line with Jagr. When he was there with Jagr, each team just kept throwing their best defensive players against them.

Now, with Nylander and Shanahan on the 2nd, both of those lines have just about equal ability to score. Plus, when Jagr's line isnt scoring, Straka and certainly Hossa are good enough defensively to prevent them from getting torched on that end which was sometimes the case when the Jagr line wasnt working before.

I think the team should obviously always look around, but no longer do they need to absolutely do something, but rather they can just sit back and jump on anything truly good that comes along.

I think they've already gotten the better of two deals that came along with Avery for Cliche and Dupuis for Hall, so hopefully it would be along those lines.

My gut feeling is they should leave it all alone though. And i dont see this as the case where early in the season they hit some nice streaks. Here there are actually multiple lines that can do things, while also having much more of a physical presence that seems to take pressure and attention off of guys like Jagr.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 06:35 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
i was reading everyone's favorite rumorist Ekl%nd and it's refreshing to read that the Rangers are no longer mentioned in the Forsberg rumors. Would have cost too much! I'm not so sure Bertuzzi 1) will recover in time even play when we're pushing for the playoffs 2) recovers from his injury and is well enough to even make a difference in the few games he may or may not even play. big PASS.
You think the Flyers want too much?Why would you say that?

Quote:
Rumors abound as to where Forsberg might wind up, but Anaheim appears to be an unlikely destination simply because of Philadelphia's asking price. Reports from the East Coast indicate the Flyers want two first-round draft picks and a young player already in the NHL, a hefty package that one team might be willing to give but most would not, especially for a "rental" player with serious health questions
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1577030.php

Quote:
With the Flyers' numerous holes, that price could be steep. They're likely to demand at least one young NHL roster player, a top prospect and a high draft pick.

The Predators would seem to have what the Flyers are looking for. Young blue liner Shea Weber and rookie scoring sensation Alexander Radulov could be an offer too good for the Flyers to pass up. Also, with attendance in Nashville lagging, Forsberg could be a player the casual fans would be willing to come out to see
http://www.nj.com/flyers/times/index...610.xml&coll=5

These guys are on crack

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:08 AM
JerseyRangers

I'd like to see how this team doesn over the next week or so before answering the question. If this team does well during the next week and a half or so, including the Devils home and home next week then I'd say I'm pretty comfortable. I'd still love to see us get another d-man but haven't heard of much that is available right now.

As to Forberg if Nashville really offered Weber and Radulov then they are nuts and there is nothing in our system that could match that. The only way I can see us getting Forsberg is if the asking price really drops.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You think the Flyers want too much?Why would you say that?

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1577030.php

http://www.nj.com/flyers/times/index...610.xml&coll=5

These guys are on crack

...... I think they are on something more than crack good lord!!!!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:59 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Here are some the rumors/speculation regarding Forsberg

Quote:
Forsberg wants out of town. He wants to be traded to a contender and has even hinted that he'd like to play somewhere in Canada.

The Flyers current asking price is a bit too rich for some. One executive from another team privy to what the Flyers have asked for thus far confirmed a rumor to the Daily Times that the Flyers have asked for at least one first round pick, in some instances two, as well as a prospect type of player with experience already in the NHL, preferably a defenseman.

Forsberg's list of preferred destinations are, in no particular order, Anaheim, Detroit, Nashville, Vancouver, Montreal and San Jose.

Forsberg is not willing to guarantee that he would re-sign with the Flyers in July when he officially becomes an unrestricted free agent
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=18170&rfi=6

Old
02-12-2007, 12:08 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
...... I think they are on something more than crack good lord!!!!
Looking at what Phoenix got for Nagy and what the Flames traded for Stuart,the prices are insane.Calgary gave up Kobasew and Ference for two rentals.That would be like the Rangers giving Prucha and another player for Stuart and Primeau.Calgary will get a fourth round pick from Boston through the Capitals(the Jurcina pick) if Calgary doesn't re-sign Stuart

At these prices,the Rangers should trade Nylander for a first round pick

Old
02-12-2007, 12:23 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
I say a resounding YES, they do still need a second line center. But the early success of the Avery trade has bought them some time to wait until up against the deadline before they decide what kind of move to make if any.
Exactly!

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Edge

Thing the question falls into two areas.

Do we still need a 2nd line center? Yes.

Will we find one before the playoffs? Not sure.

I still think Avery is best as a third line center and while is certainly a passable second line center, probably isn't the long term solution up there.

Same with Hossa, who while performing well, just does not strike me as an answer as a first line LW.

I think you have to mindful of what works for now vs. what works over the long term.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Stormer

Edge, Do you see any of the kids comming up this year if we go for the run. Your comment about what works for us now and what works for us in the future is very interesting.

Do we try to play the odds and make the playoffs and maybe the second round. Is it worth one or two yougnsters gaining this experience or is it too costly a risk not to make the playoffs at all with say two kids in the line up?

Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Edge, Do you see any of the kids comming up this year if we go for the run. Your comment about what works for us now and what works for us in the future is very interesting.

Do we try to play the odds and make the playoffs and maybe the second round. Is it worth one or two yougnsters gaining this experience or is it too costly a risk not to make the playoffs at all with say two kids in the line up?
Personally I'd rather let the kids stay in the minors right now, I think they could use it.

But I also think the real key is to differentiate between what is passable now and what is probably not going to work long term.

Hossa is doing a good job right now with Jagr, but I personally would not bank on him being a solution to the position over the long haul.

I think Avery can play as a second line center, but I think ideally it'd be best to have him as a very good third line center than a passable second line center.

Having said that, I don't know if there are many options to change that for THIS season. The Rangers might very well be at a point where because of cost, they work with what they've got. whether that's enough or not, I don't really know.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote