HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread II (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Old
02-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post

This has to be a new golden era for Canadian hockey with this group of players and coaches, top down. I mean incredible, back to back Golds! We're the best baby! Couple moments I got chills down my spine and said "wow..." as to how beastly they were. Smart, fast, strong, skilled, full of heart and determination. Crazy!
This team is good, really dominant D, good coaching, team with a plan that sticks to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
To think how much better Canadian hockey is going to get think about Mackinnon, Hall, Seguin, Mcdavid, guys like Peitrelangelo, Subban, and many more future stars on D. We haven't seen a superstar goalie like roy, brodeur, ect but they can put out a very dominant team
I can't get this line of thinking at all. I think we're on a dryspell right now with upcoming players and no Crosbys and Toews coming down the pike.

As evidenced by our World Junior crash and burns we should be enjoying these Oly wins right now. Because I see some bare spots up ahead. This was a veteran team that got us the win at the Olympics this year. I don't see as much up and coming that are going to be this good. I don't see a single Doughty or Weber coming up. No Prongers. This could be some lean times.

As far as Subban he's 24.5yrs old and couldn't crack the Oly starting lineup . He'll be close to 29 by the next Olympics. I hardly see him as anything more than a blip on the Oly radar. One and out. If the NHL continues to compete.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 12:20 PM
schutney

You're a real downer. Half this team is in their mid 20s. Assuming the NHLers go in 2018. More than half the roster will still in be in it's prime. Doughty, Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, Tavares, Bergeron, etc. are all in their early or mid 20s.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 12:25 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I see some bare spots up ahead.
Yes, your pessimistic predictions have worked so well the last two Olympics.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
This team is good, really dominant D, good coaching, team with a plan that sticks to it.

I can't get this line of thinking at all. I think we're on a dryspell right now with upcoming players and no Crosbys and Toews coming down the pike.

As evidenced by our World Junior crash and burns we should be enjoying these Oly wins right now. Because I see some bare spots up ahead. This was a veteran team that got us the win at the Olympics this year. I don't see as much up and coming that are going to be this good. I don't see a single Doughty or Weber coming up. No Prongers. This could be some lean times.

As far as Subban he's 24.5yrs old and couldn't crack the Oly starting lineup . He'll be close to 29 by the next Olympics. I hardly see him as anything more than a blip on the Oly radar. One and out. If the NHL continues to compete.
I disagree. Your examples are bit off. A crash and burn in the Juniors represents the far future. Imo a dry patch wouldn't happen unless we had 5 consecutive years of bad performances.

Subban is just one promising young player for Canada for the near future. Doughty is the same age and neither player is in their prime.

We'll still get a few Olympics out of Crosby and Weber. A lot could happen in that time. Young players tend to get better over time. Maybe we won't have a new Weber but we'll have a whole new team with a whole new character to it.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
You're a real downer. Half this team is in their mid 20s. Assuming the NHLers go in 2018. More than half the roster will still in be in it's prime. Doughty, Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, Tavares, Bergeron, etc. are all in their early or mid 20s.
This is absolute BS.

7players in the Gold Medal match are low to "mid 20's"

Last edited by Replacement: 02-23-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old
02-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Yes, your pessimistic predictions have worked so well the last two Olympics.
I called a Canada win in this OLY. Never worried once. This team was dominant defensively and like I said its what was going to win in this tourney. Great team we have now. But I don't see young players coming up that look to be as good.

Old
02-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
I disagree. Your examples are bit off. A crash and burn in the Juniors represents the far future. Imo a dry patch wouldn't happen unless we had 5 consecutive years of bad performances.

Subban is just one promising young player for Canada for the near future. Doughty is the same age and neither player is in their prime.

We'll still get a few Olympics out of Crosby and Weber. A lot could happen in that time. Young players tend to get better over time. Maybe we won't have a new Weber but we'll have a whole new team with a whole new character to it.
Doughty and Weber are gods. Doughty still young and a couple Oly's left in him. But like I stated I don't see a younger Canadian D anywhere that is anywhere close to those 2. Lets keep in mind as well that Doughty has looked like gold since he was draft age. This guy was always going to be a great D and with those signs being very early. Do we have anybody on this scale coming up?

Old
02-23-2014, 12:46 PM
The Bored Man

Quote:
This is absolute BS.
Quote:
This is absolute BS.
10 players age 23-26. 11 if you include Stamkos. Crosby and Toews were the best forwards. Doughty was the best defenceman. Price was nearly flawless.

Elite young/youngish players like Hall and Giroux didn't make it. Three of the last four first overall picks were Canadian, and the next two will likely be as well. There is no shortage of upcoming talent.

Old
02-23-2014, 12:49 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Such a good team. I'm truly envious of the Blackhawks (Toews), Preds/Kings (Weber/Doughty) and Red Wings (Babcock)

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 12:51 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Doughty and Weber are gods. Doughty still young and a couple Oly's left in him. But like I stated I don't see a younger Canadian D anywhere that is anywhere close to those 2. Lets keep in mind as well that Doughty has looked like gold since he was draft age. This guy was always going to be a great D and with those signs being very early. Do we have anybody on this scale coming up?
Did you forget all about Pietrangelo? If anything we may get lucky and our D could actually Improve depending on how some LH dmen turn out. Nothing wrong with a d corps of say:

Vlasic-Doughty
Alzner-Pietrangelo
Staal-Subban
Murray

With them all in there prime. Our forwards might decline but its not like we'll be losing Crosby, Toews, Bergeron for the next Olympics, and we could be adding guys like Hall, and RNH both in their primes to take over for Getzlaf, Perry etc...

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:05 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
I was going to respond to Replacement but you took the words out of my mouth, the players you just mention will make it impossible for many of the up-in-coming players to even make it on the team. To me 2010 was a veteran team, and had more contributions from the vets. No offence to this team but on forward you had guys like St. Louis, Marleau, who were easily replaceable, and young goalie in Price, and guys like Peitrelangelo, Doughty looking at more years of Olympic glory.

World Juniors have no relevance to me that's more of an indicator of depth in how it relates to winning as opposed to high end talent coming up. World Juniors usually doesn't even indicate if players on those teams will ever be future NHL stars. 4 years changes alot of things and this time around we have more certainty to say a Hall, Mackinnon, Seguin, even a Nurse, Reinhart's, (any of the three), Dougie Hamilton Mcdavid could be on this team.

Who knew 4 years ago Subban would be on this team, or Carey Price (all the talk was about him being traded) for every d-man not named Doughty or Weber, and was about to retire there was question marks d-men always have question marks because its a longer development time.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:12 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Outstanding effort, the team play was really inspiring. these guys really bought into the Babcocks system and it was domination. Realize how good our D is, particular Webber, Keith and Doughty. THese guys are all hall of fame D men.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Oi'll say!

Pretty cool all the stuff that Getzlaf and Perry have won together:
2 Oly Gold Medals,
1 Stanley Cup
1 WJC

By the end of their careers they may have played the most shifts together of any two forwards and won the most stuff.

It woud be kind of cool if they won a world championship but they got the triple crown, that's the main thing.

I think Anderson and Messier come pretty close to this with all the Cups they won together on different teams, and Canada Cup championships but they never won a WJC together.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:34 PM
shogun99

Maybe these Olympics will show the young Oilers that they need to commit to defence first. If teams with virtually no talent like Latvia can commit to defence and be successful I can't see how the Oilers can't become a successful team once they commit to a defensive system.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:50 PM
schutney

Quote:
This is absolute BS.

7players in the Gold Medal match are low to "mid 20's"
Not sure how you can really refute that players on this team will represent the core in 2018. For example, you actually could have your 4 centers already penciled in for 2018 in Crosby, Toews, Tavares and Duchene. Then you still have Stamkos and Bergeron who can play wing.

On D you would still have Pietrangelo, Subban, Doughty who wouldn't be 30. Then Price in net, I have just named 9 guys who are on this team that will still be under 30 in 2018. As others have mentioned before you seem kind of like a bitter dude on the forum which is fine as it relates to the Oilers but to Team Canada it's just wrong.

Edit: Crosby will be 30*

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:56 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Ya, and there is tons of talent to take the older players spots. I thought the real core of the team was Crosby, Toews, Keith, Doughty, Weber and Price. All will be back, add Stamkos, TAvares, Nuge, Hall, Giroux, Sequin, Couture, MAkinnon, McDavid perhaps.

If anything the 2018 team looks to be stronger than this years team.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
10 players age 23-26. 11 if you include Stamkos. Crosby and Toews were the best forwards. Doughty was the best defenceman. Price was nearly flawless.

Elite young/youngish players like Hall and Giroux didn't make it. Three of the last four first overall picks were Canadian, and the next two will likely be as well. There is no shortage of upcoming talent.
The recent picks don't exactly exude confidence. Hall I like but Mackinnon and RNH to me are some evidence that the quality of top drafts is going down in recent years. By pretty much any opinion the last few years hasn't featured the strongest draft.

Really it is interesting that the last superstar imo drafted #1 was Crosby in 2005. Some would say Stamkos I guess but I'm not so sure.

Crosby, Toews, Doughty are gods going forwards anyway. I just don't see younger players in that class tbh and I don't think I'm too far off with that. All of those players were great and known to be great at draft age. Maybe we have some late bloomers in the under 24 mix that will still astound.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The recent picks don't exactly exude confidence. Hall I like but Mackinnon and RNH to me are some evidence that the quality of top drafts is going down in recent years. By pretty much any opinion the last few years hasn't featured the strongest draft.

Really it is interesting that the last superstar imo drafted #1 was Crosby in 2005. Some would say Stamkos I guess but I'm not so sure.

Crosby, Toews, Doughty are gods going forwards anyway. I just don't see younger players in that class tbh and I don't think I'm too far off with that. All of those players were great and known to be great at draft age. Maybe we have some late bloomers in the under 24 mix that will still astound.
Superstars are pretty rare. You are a real downer lol. THere are piles of very good young Canadian players.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Not sure how you can really refute that players on this team will represent the core in 2018. For example, you actually could have your 4 centers already penciled in for 2018 in Crosby, Toews, Tavares and Duchene. Then you still have Stamkos and Bergeron who can play wing.

On D you would still have Pietrangelo, Subban, Doughty who wouldn't be 30. Then Price in net, I have just named 9 guys who are on this team that will still be under 30 in 2018. As others have mentioned before you seem kind of like a bitter dude on the forum which is fine as it relates to the Oilers but to Team Canada it's just wrong.

Edit: Crosby will be 30*
I like Pietrangelo but I must be the only one other than Babcock that is pretty unimpressed with Subban.

Bergeron is a bit older and great player but lots of miles already. Will be 32 in next Oly.

Look, Canada has great players, great team and I said that. But our under 24 complement is not so great. That's been my point all along. I don't know anybody can argue with any seriousness that we have guys upcoming that are anything close to Crosby, Toews, Doughty who were always going to be great. What young Great can't miss player is there on THAT level? I think its a fair question.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Superstars are pretty rare. You are a real downer lol. THere are piles of very good young Canadian players.
Doughty, Crosby, Toews, Stamkos are within years of draft age. All were considered greats when drafted.

Again who in the under 24 and considered great? I'm amazed nobody is seeing this. If I'm wrong the responses should be obvious.

edit: absolute silence, no response. Not surprising.

edit ptII still waiting for that response which must be harder to come up with than originally thought..

Last edited by Replacement: 02-23-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old
02-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Doughty, Toews, Stamkos all became better than projected going into the draft.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 02:28 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Doughty, Toews, Stamkos all became better than projected going into the draft.
Anybody that couldn't see Doughty was going to be legendary needs their hockey eyes examined. If ever there was a D to build a franchise around. Doughty is one of the best D to ever play hockey. Only 24 and anybody that saw this guy play would know he was a great, was always a great. Drew Doughty was can't miss great.

How long of NHL play did it take for Toews and Stamkos to look great.

Again, I'm saying theres few if any Canadian players under age 24 defining in this way.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:29 PM
The Bored Man

Quote:

Stamkos won the Rocket Richard as a sophomore and scored 60 in 2012. Tavares was a Hart nominee in his third year and was second in league scoring before the break. Why the comparison to Crosby? You're saying that no other player is as good as the world's best player? No ****, eh?

There is no shortage of talent, no evidence at all to suggest that Canada will suffer from some decline against other countries. Not that it matters what anyone says. You're on another one of your pot-stirring crusades so this thread's gonna be unreadable for the next few hours.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Stamkos won the Rocket Richard as a sophomore and scored 60 in 2012. Tavares was a Hart nominee in his third year and was second in league scoring before the break. Why the comparison to Crosby? You're saying that no other player is as good as the world's best player? No ****, eh?

There is no shortage of talent, no evidence at all to suggest that Canada will suffer from some decline against other countries. Not that it matters what I say. You're on another one of your pot-stirring crusades so this thread's gonna be unreadable for the next few hours.
In several posts on the topic I've stated players under 24. In several posts I've mentioned Stamkos being one of the young greats along with Doughty, Crosby, Toews, (Stamkos is 24)

Again, if you wanna play, what great Canadian player under age 24 comes anywhere near these guys. You could say Tavares. That's it.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:37 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
In several posts on the topic I've stated players under 24. In several posts I've mentioned Stamkos being one of the young greats along with Doughty, Crosby, Toews, (Stamkos is 24)

Again, if you wanna play, what great Canadian player under age 24 comes anywhere near these guys. You could say Tavares. That's it.
Name some greats from other countries under 24...

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote