HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2014, 05:19 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Nikolaj Ehlers. Mact was recently quoted gushing about his play.
Seems Mac is high on Ehlers

http://metronews.ca/sports/949090/mo...ton-oilers-gm/

Old
02-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
...and he'd have to be high to take him. Not what we need, and we don't have a pick in his projected range - unless he's planning multiple trade backs, in which case that would be an even bigger mistake in a draft where there isn't a whole lot of high end players.

Old
02-22-2014, 10:47 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
...and he'd have to be high to take him. Not what we need, and we don't have a pick in his projected range - unless he's planning multiple trade backs, in which case that would be an even bigger mistake in a draft where there isn't a whole lot of high end players.
I agree, the last thing you guys need would be a smallish winger

Old
02-22-2014, 12:44 PM
ponokanocker

I'm guessing we pick 5th. I think Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett are locks for 1, 2, and 3, with the field seeming a lot more wide open for the next few picks. Has anyone been watching Draisaitl this season? His visions is what scouts seem to love most about him, much like RNH, but with better size. Can anyone with more 1st hand knowledge chime in on the comparison?

Also, is anyone watching the Rebels this year? What does Haydn Fleury look like?

Last edited by ponokanocker: 02-22-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old
02-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Here is my top 5 for the Oilers
1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Bennett
4. Dal Colle
5. Draisaitl

Personally, if Ekblad is gone I would trade the pick

Old
02-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Lindo

I don't think we fall to less than 3rd or 4th. I don't think our goalies will play as unreal, probably a little more realistic save percentage. We probably won't be in a position to pick Ekblad, but any of Bennet or Draisaitl would be fine with me. Dal Colle seems like a solid prospect but another winger isn't what we need.

Old
02-22-2014, 02:50 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Here is my top 5 for the Oilers
1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Bennett
4. Dal Colle
5. Draisaitl

Personally, if Ekblad is gone I would trade the pick
Ekblad is #1 on my list, but I wont be upset adding a C to our prospect list.

Schultz, Nurse, Marincin, Klefbom, Gernat, Simpson, Musil >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than what we have lined up at C.

I dont want us trading the pick for a #2 d-man. We need a #1 guy or patience. I'm afraid of us throwing that asset away for a quick fix, and it will bite us in the *** longterm.

Old
02-22-2014, 03:16 PM
CurrenR

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I'm guessing we pick 5th. I think Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett are locks for 1, 2, and 3, with the field seeming a lot more wide open for the next few picks. Has anyone been watching Draisaitl this season? His visions is what scouts seem to love most about him, much like RNH, but with better size. Can anyone with more 1st hand knowledge chime in on the comparison?

Also, is anyone watching the Rebels this year? What does Haydn Fleury look like?
I have only seen Draisaitl play a few times and he has excellent vision and is just a great playmaker. One thing I seemed to notice is that his skating in general is below average in my opinion. He uses his size well to protect the puck. He reminds a lot of Joe Thornton a big playmaker who is not overly physical but can use his size very efficiently. That is only from a very small sample size of what I have seen.

Old
02-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Ekblad is #1 on my list, but I wont be upset adding a C to our prospect list.

Schultz, Nurse, Marincin, Klefbom, Gernat, Simpson, Musil >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than what we have lined up at C.

I dont want us trading the pick for a #2 d-man. We need a #1 guy or patience. I'm afraid of us throwing that asset away for a quick fix, and it will bite us in the *** longterm.
Maybe it's about time we stopped thinking about the long term.

Old
02-23-2014, 06:44 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Maybe it's about time we stopped thinking about the long term.
Not a good business strategy IMO.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:24 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Not a good business strategy IMO.
You may not have a long term if your business looks to be failing and your top employees decide to leave. It's all about risk management IMO. If we can trade the pick for a top pairing d man with some experience I'd trade it, if all your getting is another maybe you hold unto the pick IMO. A deal I wouldn't mind is our 1st for Yandle+Korpikoski. Then go hard after Morris or Girardi in Free Agency. Gives us a lineup like this going into next year.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Gordon-?
Gazdic-Hendricks-?
?

Yandle-Girardi
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz
Fedun

Trade Gagner and try to acquire a #2C RFA like Berglund or Schenn or try and sign Legwand/Statsny/whoever for the 2c spot, and add a RW like Downie through UFA and were laughing.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Mr Sakich

a quick look at remaining schedules for the bottom 5 teams. The Islanders have a very easy schedule. If you look at games vs the top 5 teams + Boston in the NHL, here is what the bottom will face

NYI - 1 game, San Jose
Flames - 3 games, 2 Anaheim, 1 San Jose
Florida - 3 games - 2 Boston, 1 San Jose
Oilers - 6 games - 3 Anaheim, 2 San Jose , 1 St Louis
Buffalo - 5 games - 2 Boston, 1 Chicago, 1 St Louis, 1 Anaheim

we play most of our remaining games vs teams in or close to the playoffs. This is where things get harder. I can see us winning 7 of our remaining 22 games and finishing with the 2nd overall pick. The teams ahead of us have easier schedules, games in hand, and more points.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
a quick look at remaining schedules for the bottom 5 teams. The Islanders have a very easy schedule. If you look at games vs the top 5 teams + Boston in the NHL, here is what the bottom will face

NYI - 1 game, San Jose (11 home, 11 away)
Flames - 3 games, 2 Anaheim, 1 San Jose (12 home, 12 away)
Florida - 3 games - 2 Boston, 1 San Jose (14 home, 10 away)
Oilers - 6 games - 3 Anaheim, 2 San Jose , 1 St Louis (15 home, 7 away)
Buffalo - 5 games - 2 Boston, 1 Chicago, 1 St Louis, 1 Anaheim (10 home, 15 away)

we play most of our remaining games vs teams in or close to the playoffs. This is where things get harder. I can see us winning 7 of our remaining 22 games and finishing with the 2nd overall pick. The teams ahead of us have easier schedules, games in hand, and more points.
Added home and away games remaining. We've been playing better of late and have a lot of home games. I'll guess we go 10-10-2. Where that leaves us, I'm not sure. Don't think Florida will be caught. Calgary is a maybe. Islanders are the scary one though - easiest schedule, but JT done for the season and Vanek and AMac soon to be traded. On the plus side, they've got a deep prospect pool and many of those guys will embrace the opportunity to audition for a top 6 role. On the negative side, their problems in net and on D are just as big as ours, except they'll only have Okposo to try and out score there way to victory.

If my prediction is right, those teams would need these records to bump us from 2nd:

CGY: 8-15-1 or less
NYI: 8-13 or less
FLA: 8-15-1 or less

Again, the Isles are the one team I worry about.

Old
02-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Mr Sakich

funny thing, the islanders are a much better road team this year, not even close

Old
02-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Oilers10

THU, 27 FEB 2014 WILD OILERS = Loss
SAT, 1 MAR 2014 FLAMES OILERS = Win
TUE, 4 MAR 2014 SENATORS OILERS = Win
THU, 6 MAR 2014 ISLANDERS OILERS = Win
SUN, 9 MAR 2014 KINGS OILERS = Loss
TUE, 11 MAR 2014 OILERS WILD = WIN
THU, 13 MAR 2014 OILERS BLUES = Loss
FRI, 14 MAR 2014 OILERS RED WINGS = Win
SUN, 16 MAR 2014 OILERS HURRICANES = Win
TUE, 18 MAR 2014 PREDATORS OILERS = Loss
THU, 20 MAR 2014 SABRES OILERS = Win
SAT, 22 MAR 2014 FLAMES OILERS = Win
TUE, 25 MAR 2014 SHARKS OILERS = Loss
FRI, 28 MAR 2014 DUCKS OILERS = Loss
SUN, 30 MAR 2014 RANGERS OILERS = Loss
TUE, 1 APR 2014 OILERS SHARKS = Loss
WED, 2 APR 2014 OILERS DUCKS = Loss
FRI, 4 APR 2014 OILERS COYOTES = Win
SUN, 6 APR 2014 DUCKS OILERS = Loss
TUE, 8 APR 2014 AVALANCHE OILERS = Loss
THU, 10 APR 2014 KINGS OILERS = Loss
SAT, 12 APR 2014 CANUCKS OILERS = Win

With a Theoretical 10-12 record for the rest of the way the Oilers will finish with 20 more points. Our current 47 points + 20 points = 67pts.

In 2011-2012 67pts would have placed us 2nd last overall. In 2010-2011 67pts would have placed us 2nd last overall. In 2009-2010 67pts would have placed us 2nd last again.

Odds of 2014 NHL entry draft:

30th place: 25.0%
29th place: 18.8%
28th place: 14.2%
27th place: 10.7%
26th place: 8.1%
25th place: 6.2%
24th place: 4.7%

This means with a 2nd last place finish we will have an 18.8% chance at the top pick. However we will only have a 43.8% chance at retaining that top two pick as any of the non playoff finishers can leap us. Based on this I suspect we have a very real chance of picking 3rd.

However, Edmonton has been playing alot better as of late and our goaltenders are playiing awesome. However we are still getting outshot heavily and are poised to insert more rookies into the lineup towards the end of the season. Alot can change in the final 22 games but I suspect we'll be picking 3rd or 4th when its all said and done. If we can't get Ekblad, Bennet or Reinhart I say we trade the pick as well. Although top D aren't plentiful and easy to obtain so this pick will likely not do us much in a trade.

I'm personally torn as I want to see Oilers improve but the top of this draft has what we need as in a top D and a 1A or 1B centerman.

Old
02-23-2014, 01:57 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Perlini had 2 goals and an assist in his 2nd game back. positionally looked better at C this time, but still inexperienced in the middle. He looks to have another step to his game now. Once again, if he can look more and more natural as C, I start to consider him as a very high pick.

Brent Moran recorded a 53 save game in a 4-1 win over a very good NB team. I was told the shots were actually around 60. He is coming a long a little bit slower than Visentin, but starting to look just as impressive some nights.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

I think if were picking 4th or 5th we trade that pick .

Old
02-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Oi'll say!

Has to be Bennet or Reinhart. Gagner will be gone and the future success of this franchise will all be riding on RNH's girl-shoulders. This will be his first healthy season of 3 if he makes it through, but if he doesn't he will have 3 injury seasons in a row.

This franchise will be in the toilet if next season sees:
Gagner gone without a 2nd line center coming back (almost certain)
Ekblad drafted (could very well happen)
RNH re-injured in the early part of next season (not unlikely)

We'll have nothing at #1 & #2 C, the cupboard will be completely bare. It will all be up to the Oilers getting another 1st overall pick.

The last thing I want to do is be committed the draft derby by next October or November but it's almost like we are on a direct course for it.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Has to be Bennet or Reinhart. Gagner will be gone and the future success of this franchise will all be riding on RNH's girl-shoulders. This will be his first healthy season of 3 if he makes it through, but if he doesn't he will have 3 injury seasons in a row.

This franchise will be in the toilet if next season sees:
Gagner gone without a 2nd line center coming back (almost certain)
Ekblad drafted (could very well happen)
RNH re-injured in the early part of next season (not unlikely)

We'll have nothing at #1 & #2 C, the cupboard will be completely bare. It will all be up to the Oilers getting another 1st overall pick.

The last thing I want to do is be committed the draft derby by next October or November but it's almost like we are on a direct course for it.
Do tell why we will be "in the toilet" next year if we end up drafting Ekblad?

Old
02-23-2014, 03:06 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You may not have a long term if your business looks to be failing and your top employees decide to leave. It's all about risk management IMO. If we can trade the pick for a top pairing d man with some experience I'd trade it, if all your getting is another maybe you hold unto the pick IMO. A deal I wouldn't mind is our 1st for Yandle+Korpikoski. Then go hard after Morris or Girardi in Free Agency. Gives us a lineup like this going into next year.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Gordon-?
Gazdic-Hendricks-?
?

Yandle-Girardi
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz
Fedun

Trade Gagner and try to acquire a #2C RFA like Berglund or Schenn or try and sign Legwand/Statsny/whoever for the 2c spot, and add a RW like Downie through UFA and were laughing.
Our players requesting to be traded are about as ridiculous as your 1-sided deals (the Yandle one is preposterous). There is no quick fixes, period. So expecting to get a Yandle caliber Dman and fix this club in 1 year is high fantasy.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:12 PM
armandh01

With our schedule I doubt we pick higher than 3rd.

These could go either way

CGY x 2
BUF
OTT
NSH
NYR
NYI
COL
LA x 2
CAR

I say 7/11 here are wins

The rest:

MIN x 2
ANA x 3
SJ x 2
STL
PHX
DET
VAN

Probably lose majority here, I say win 2 or 3/10

Giving us about 9 or 10 wins in our last 22. With potential to overachieve we'll say 11/22. Underachieving being more likely 8/22.

Last edited by armandh01: 02-23-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old
02-23-2014, 03:23 PM

I was thinking we could trade our pick if Ekblad is gone. Maybe get one of Buffalos defensemen for the pick, then pick up a #2C at free agency or maybe trade for Jori Lehterä's rights and sign him. Then we could trade Gagner for some help or just put him on the wing. I think there's a lot of things that could be done to improve this team vastly from this season to the next, if we keep Scrivens that is. Actually I would like to trade for an extended Callahan ++ for Eberle. Rangers get their all-offense goal scorer and we get a battling leadership-type to put on the 2nd line next to Perron and Gagner/FA #2C. But it seems like Callahan is already a done deal to another team so slim chance that'll happen.

Hall-RNH-Yak
Perron-Gagner/#2C-Callahan

Would look pretty good, and imagine we trade our pick for a good D man from Buffalo or some other team who's in rebuild-mode and looking for offense. There's so many ways to improve this team and I hope MacT pulls through. I can't stand another season in the toilet.

Old
02-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Seems Mac is high
Or drunk

Oh perfect. Another "one shot scorer".

The Oilers need to spend less time scouting flashy players and more time scouting lumberjacks. Guys who can really chop wood, carry water.

Old
02-23-2014, 07:45 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

I'd be ecstatic with Ekblad.
Super happy with Bennet or Reinhart.
Happy with a noticeable shrug with Dal Colle, Draisatl.
Unhappy, but not surprised, with Virtanen. Doesn't he just scream "Oiler" to you?

Old
02-23-2014, 07:52 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
With our schedule I doubt we pick higher than 3rd.

These could go either way

CGY x 2
BUF
OTT
NSH
NYR
NYI
COL
LA x 2
CAR

I say 7/11 here are wins

The rest:

MIN x 2
ANA x 3
SJ x 2
STL
PHX
DET
VAN

Probably lose majority here, I say win 2 or 3/10

Giving us about 9 or 10 wins in our last 22. With potential to overachieve we'll say 11/22. Underachieving being more likely 8/22.
Ya, I think we end up picking 4th or 5th. The flames are horrible, the isles are with out Tvares and will trade Vanek. Still think we end up with Perlini.

Closed Thread