HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Toughest Ranger Team You've Ever Seen

Old
02-13-2007, 01:58 AM
TomLaidlaw

vCash: 500
Toughest Ranger Team You've Ever Seen

With all this dead time in between games figured I'd throw this out there and kill some time and get everyones thoughts. I have been watching this team for a long time and I was trying to figure out which team was the toughest that I've seen. There were some old time teams that came to mind that had Beck, Laidlaw, Hospodar, and Fotiu on it.

One team really stuck out in my mind though, the 1992 team...Tie Domi, Joey Kocur, Adam Graves, Mark Messier, Jeff Beukaboom, Jay Wells, Esa Tikanen, and Kris King. That was a pretty nasty team. Anyone remember any teams that were tougher than that team?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:08 AM
Pogo

I'm 23 so that 92 team is one of the first I remember and is definitely the toughest I can think of. Back then we always had tough guys coming in like on the 93-94 team when we brought in the otherwise useless Nick Kypreos. Those Tie Domi Bob Probert fights are a staple in my childhood.

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:26 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Orland KurtenBach-C, Reggie Fleming=RW, Vic Hadfield-LW. Didn't need anything else.
Kurt could punch like a heavyweight fighter, He got a clean punch on you and you wereout cold. One of the best fighters and a guy who could play the game, not a goon like in the 80's through now.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 06:26 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
With all this dead time in between games figured I'd throw this out there and kill some time and get everyones thoughts. I have been watching this team for a long time and I was trying to figure out which team was the toughest that I've seen. There were some old time teams that came to mind that had Beck, Laidlaw, Hospodar, and Fotiu on it.

One team really stuck out in my mind though, the 1992 team...Tie Domi, Joey Kocur, Adam Graves, Mark Messier, Jeff Beukaboom, Jay Wells, Esa Tikanen, and Kris King. That was a pretty nasty team. Anyone remember any teams that were tougher than that team?
Tikkanen wasn't on the 1991-92 team.I agree the 91-92 team was the toughest Rangers team I have seen in my 20 plus years of watching this team.That was all because of Roger Neilson.Roger was known as "Captain Video" because he was the first coach to use video in preparing his teams.Roger was all known to like the tough guys.When he coached the Maple Leafs in the late 1970's,they had a playoff series against the Islanders in 1978.Roger had Dave "Tiger" Williams and Jerry Butler brutalize the Islanders.When the Rangers had the incident in the 1990 playoffs with the Islanders(James Patrick giving Pat LaFontaine a concussion on a clean hit and then Al Arbour sent out the Islanders to start the brawl with the Rangers),Arbour brought up the 1978 playoffs series when the Leafs gooned up the Islanders in his comments after the game.The NY media especially Joe Lapointe of the NY Times hated Roger's tough minded hockey style

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Badko

Don't remember the year (getting old does that to ya), nor all the players so maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

There was a brief period one year when the Rangers had Marty McSorley and Shane Churla, among others. I thought, for that brief period, they had some pretty tough hard nosed guys.

Anyone remember the others on that team?

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:16 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badko View Post
Don't remember the year (getting old does that to ya), nor all the players so maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

There was a brief period one year when the Rangers had Marty McSorley and Shane Churla, among others. I thought, for that brief period, they had some pretty tough hard nosed guys.

Anyone remember the others on that team?
I think Ulf Samuelsson was there too. Not tough in the McSorley/Churla mold, more in the Kasparaitis/Brad McCrimmon style of tough hitting with the occasional knee check to make the other team keep their head up.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:17 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Orland KurtenBach-C, Reggie Fleming=RW, Vic Hadfield-LW. Didn't need anything else.
Kurt could punch like a heavyweight fighter, He got a clean punch on you and you wereout cold. One of the best fighters and a guy who could play the game, not a goon like in the 80's through now.
Kurtenbach was possibly the best fighter I ever saw in the NHL. Best Kurtenbach moment:

Kurtenbach checked Cowboy Bill Flett of the Flyers. Flett threw down his gloves and turned to face Kurtenbach. When he saw it was Orland he just picked up his gloves and skated away. I think I wrote that here before but it remains one of my favorite moments at the Garden.

The second best Ranger was easily Steve Vickers who scored a couple of KO's one season. After that no one would go near him. Hadfield was also good and every time that Chicago came to town you could count on Hadfield beating up Keith Magnuson, who was no slouch himself. Domi was also a great scrapper. By the time we got Kocur he was no longer a great fighter, but still a good one.

The toughest Rangers team would have to be from the early 70's. In addition to those already mentioned they had Park who would take on anyone and usually did, one of the reasons it will be sad when they retire the #2 jersey.

If we want to talk about the Rangers' grittiest team it may have been under Ted Sator. His teams played hard every night.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Jackson Ranger

I would agree the 91-92 team was the toughest. But the 89-90 comes in a close second. Guys like Mallette, Poeschek, Nilan, King, Janssens, Moller and Kisio were tough to play against.

Also, the 85-86 team had what a lot of people here describe as "team toughness". Gresch, Osborne, Paiment, McPhee (my favorite), MacLelland, Laidlaw and Melnyk (not the poster).

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:31 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I would agree the 91-92 team was the toughest. But the 89-90 comes in a close second. Guys like Mallette, Poeschek, Nilan, King, Janssens, Moller and Kisio were tough to play against.

Also, the 85-86 team had what a lot of people here describe as "team toughness". Gresch, Osborne, Paiment, McPhee (my favorite), MacLelland, Laidlaw and Melnyk (not the poster).
You can add Bob Brooke to the '86 list, he was a tough hockey player too.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Fletch

My memory's short...

but that 91-92 team was tough, although Tikannen came to the Rangers in March 1993.

That was the team that Neilson put out Domi-King-Kocur out there at the end of a playoff game against the Devils - sweet...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:33 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I was gonna mention the 89-90 team as well. Dont forget Mark Hardy and Lindy Ruff - Sandstrom had a little nasty streak to him as well.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:

Maybe on paper but you couldn't name more people that were busts in the toughness department, Osbourne never a NHL fight Paiment was tuff but 56 yr old by that time Laidlaw didn't fight since his rookie year and Melnyk was willing but think Hollweg.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
here is my votehttp://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000481992.html

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Kurtenbach was possibly the best fighter I ever saw in the NHL. Best Kurtenbach moment:

Kurtenbach checked Cowboy Bill Flett of the Flyers. Flett threw down his gloves and turned to face Kurtenbach. When he saw it was Orland he just picked up his gloves and skated away. I think I wrote that here before but it remains one of my favorite moments at the Garden.

The second best Ranger was easily Steve Vickers who scored a couple of KO's one season. After that no one would go near him. Hadfield was also good and every time that Chicago came to town you could count on Hadfield beating up Keith Magnuson, who was no slouch himself. Domi was also a great scrapper. By the time we got Kocur he was no longer a great fighter, but still a good one.

The toughest Rangers team would have to be from the early 70's. In addition to those already mentioned they had Park who would take on anyone and usually did, one of the reasons it will be sad when they retire the #2 jersey.

If we want to talk about the Rangers' grittiest team it may have been under Ted Sator. His teams played hard every night.
Vickers could fight, when he wanted too but noit extremley tough...Unfortuantely, we had a few guys that could fight back then--but they had to get really pissed....

ONe tough Ranger team, I think was in the 73-75

Scrappers like Jerry Butler, Ted Irvine, Bert Wilson, ROn Harris along with tough players liek Tkachuck, Fairburn, maybe even Derek Sanderson and guys like Park, Greschner and Vickers when they chose to get mad..

And one guy to mention after Orland Kurtenbach is REGGIE FLEMMING. one tough *******

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:03 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
my first days of watching as a child was that 91-92 team. can't think of any that rival the early 90's teams in that way. the fights, along with this new guy named messier, i was hooked. my uncle took me to my first game that season. the garden, the excitement, the fights, the goals, mario, jagr's mullet, this guy my family called beezer. just awesome, loved those early 90's teams. kris king, tie domi. nobody ****ed with mess/leetch/gartner

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Maybe on paper but you couldn't name more people that were busts in the toughness department, Osbourne never a NHL fight Paiment was tuff but 56 yr old by that time Laidlaw didn't fight since his rookie year and Melnyk was willing but think Hollweg.
I agree about Laidlaw but Osborne would drop the gloves if need be that year. That whole team stuck up for one another, hence my comment about team toughness. They played a Flyer team that year with Brown and Hospodar and were not intimidated at all.

As for Kurtenbach and Fleming, never had a chance to see them but from the information out there, I wish I had.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Tikkanen wasn't on the 1991-92 team.I agree the 91-92 team was the toughest Rangers team I have seen in my 20 plus years of watching this team.That was all because of Roger Neilson.Roger was known as "Captain Video" because he was the first coach to use video in preparing his teams.Roger was all known to like the tough guys.When he coached the Maple Leafs in the late 1970's,they had a playoff series against the Islanders in 1978.Roger had Dave "Tiger" Williams and Jerry Butler brutalize the Islanders.
Man, I remember that series well...Jerry Butler ramming Bossy form behind and putting him out...Lanny MacDonald with the series winner...I won $250 on that series...Was up at College in upstate NY with a sea on Long Islanders...had so many bets..Watching that final game in a bar, screaming like Hell when the Leafs won--and having a donnybrook with those sore heads later on..The good old days..

Old
02-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Larry Melnyk

Another tough team was the 80-81 team that went to the 3rd round....Fotiu, A pre-Gillies Hospodar (who had become a Garden hero), Beck at his toughest, the Maloneys, Laidlaw, Kostopolous, Cam COnnor and even guys like Tkachuzk, Vickers anbd Greshner..

I think that was the year they had the brawl with the Kings in the POs..Boxcar smacking around a few playerx including a goalie....Nicky Flying down from the press box to attack an out of uniform King player that got near the action...Yep, old time hockey..

Old
02-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Garv23

McPhee was one of my favorites. For a smaller player he could do some damage. I remember him destroying Dave Brown once. Kris King, Nilan, Domi, Janssens, Wells, Fotiu, Beck, all tough. Another favorite smaller player of mine was Paul Broten. Tough as nails. And Melnyk...man, I think that dude was just nuts. I'm convinced there were times he purposely blocked shots with his face.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:32 AM
eco's bones

I started following the Rangers in 71-72--by that time Kurtenbach was I believe a Canuck--but he had a reputation--the best fighters IMO that I've seen as Rangers were Kocur and Fotiu. There were other good to very good ones--for his size George McPhee was really tough. Domi, Langdon, King, Beck, Park (used to go)--Vickers could really fight but it took a lot to make him mad, Graves, Nilan, Gresch, Teddy Irvine--Sather even.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Another tough team was the 80-81 team that went to the 3rd round....Fotiu, A pre-Gillies Hospodar (who had become a Garden hero), Beck at his toughest, the Maloneys, Laidlaw, Kostopolous, Cam COnnor and even guys like Tkachuzk, Vickers anbd Greshner..

I think that was the year they had the brawl with the Kings in the POs..Boxcar smacking around a few playerx including a goalie....Nicky Flying down from the press box to attack an out of uniform King player that got near the action...Yep, old time hockey..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3iPkffrJuI

Watch 2:20 secs into it when Don Maloney does a flying tackle to help a ranger who was down.... notice guys like DUGUAY and other non-tough guys, getting involved.... THAT's team toughness.

and of course, my favorite, Nick Fotiu at 3:12 (or just watch from maloney spot on as hospodar punches goalie..hehe)... Nick comes down to the stands in his white suit to beat the guy who grabbed hospodar. CLASSIC!!

Fotiu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Badko

Found the year I was referring to. It was the 1995-96 team.

In addition to Messier, Graves, Ulf Samuelsson, Kevin Lowe and Beukeboom, that year included Pat Verbeek, Langdon, Sergio Momesso, Kypreos, Bill Berg, Kocur, Ian Laperriere, Churla, and McSorley.

That group could certainly handle itself.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:03 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
When the Rangers had the incident in the 1990 playoffs with the Islanders(James Patrick giving Pat LaFontaine a concussion on a clean hit and then Al Arbour sent out the Islanders to start the brawl with the Rangers),Arbour brought up the 1978 playoffs series when the Leafs gooned up the Islanders in his comments after the game.The NY media especially Joe Lapointe of the NY Times hated Roger's tough minded hockey style
For those unfamiliar, here's the hit on LaFontaine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2DJdmQCi0o

And here's the subsequent brawl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gaSTZto3fs

Also, for Rangerboy or anyone else, Leetch missed the playoffs...what injury did he suffer?

Last edited by nyranger61494: 02-13-2007 at 01:22 PM.
nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Taz

2002-2003 were pretty tough:

Purinton
Barnaby
McCarthy
LaCouture
Oliwa
Petrovicky
Gordie Dwyer

and others like:

Lindros
Holik
Messier
Cross
Kasparaitis

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000482003.html

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Man, I remember that series well...Jerry Butler ramming Bossy form behind and putting him out...Lanny MacDonald with the series winner...I won $250 on that series...Was up at College in upstate NY with a sea on Long Islanders...had so many bets..Watching that final game in a bar, screaming like Hell when the Leafs won--and having a donnybrook with those sore heads later on..The good old days..

2007. Man, time is sure going by fast.....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote