HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2014, 09:25 PM
okgooil

vCash: 500
I would take anything for Hemsky. In reality if he wants to leave, I would trade him for futures just as a favor to him. send him to a cup contender.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Not sure why this board has a love affair with Clifford. The guy sucks.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:29 PM
HeavyHitter99

I'd love Brown for Gagner but how would you guys feel about King + Clifford for Gagner?

Old
02-23-2014, 09:32 PM
cyril*
Losers cheer for..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
One or two people have a "love affair" with Clifford. I agree, he's not what the Oilers need. He's basically Ben Eager and he's in the system already.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:37 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
we really want a 4th liner who can play 8 minutes a game?

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
02-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Lindo

Clifford has 5 points and a history of concussions already. His highest point pace was 23 in the lockout shortened season (14 in 48) and this year he's done nothing to suggest he can reach that level again or more. He's a 4th liner and I don't think people should be willing to overlook this because he's tough.

I don't get the attraction towards this player, we have tonnes of players that will occupy the 4th line, and if he's on our 3rd line then that is just awful. There's nothing that would point to him being capable of that so far in his career.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:42 PM
sVpph
Tron Funkin Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I'd be stoked for Tinordi. He's exactly what our defense needs.

But if they were planning on trading him, would they need to recall him for that?
I assume he was called up because a different d-man will be dealt,
That's what I was thinking too.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing. Nathan Beaulieu was playing on the 3rd pairing and got sent down for the Olympic break. Tinordi was playing well in the AHL during the break, so he earned an opportunity to play on that 3rd pairing. That's it, that's all.

Even if there was a trade, it would be for Drewiske or D.Murray, so don't get too excited folks.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Clifford has 5 points and a history of concussions already. His highest point pace was 23 in the lockout shortened season (14 in 48) and this year he's done nothing to suggest he can reach that level again or more. He's a 4th liner and I don't think people should be willing to overlook this because he's tough.

I don't get the attraction towards this player, we have tonnes of players that will occupy the 4th line, and if he's on our 3rd line then that is just awful. There's nothing that would point to him being capable of that so far in his career.
Clifford was the guy in the rumours, not necessarily the first choice among Oiler fans.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
Wilson is better defensively than Gagner and has tons of untapped potential that he showed in the shortened season last year. Arcobello is no where near better than Wilson.
Wilson isn't a world beater in two way play. In fact it's a weak part of his game. As his coach recently said about him after being a healthy scratch. Colin Wilson has been in the league 5 years now. It's not just the teams responsibility to help the player become successful. The player needs to do his part too.

I remember listening to Poile last summer talking about how they think he's finally broken through. How a few months change things. He's playing wing mostly these days but is a natural C.

Gagner brings more offense to the table and he works extremely hard. Wilson is better in the face off circle but not by a huge margin. His size is important and he has shown some offensive ability. To make this trade work, obviously Nashville has to add. I say at least Beck or Ekholm. They do have some goaltending depth too but honestly, Ekholm is a big defender with a nice shot and he does almost everything well. I think he flourishes in a more open system. Some might say Watson but he's really struggling in the AHL. I think they're keeping Forsberg too so that leaves Ekholm or Beck in my opinion anyway.

Once again, there's no reason to move him for lessor players just because some think he's overpaid.

Old
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Clifford was the guy in the rumours, not necessarily the first choice among Oiler fans.
Yeah, that's true. I'm glad it's rumoured the talks have gone off/not going to continue with LA.

Old
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Same can be said of Gagner, he sucks defensively and on draws and his cap hit for what he brings blows. Clifford at least brings something to the table if he isn't scoring. Give me Clifford and $3+ million in cap space over Gagner and then use that cap space to get a real 2C.

02-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Yeah, that's true. I'm glad it's rumoured the talks have gone off/not going to continue with LA.
Yeah I'm happy if the Oilers are still talking with LA but not about Clifford, or if the Oilers aren't talking to LA.

3rd and 4th line checkers are a dime a dozen and even a bad 2nd line center is worth 4 of those guys.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Yeah I'm happy if the Oilers are still talking with LA but not about Clifford, or if the Oilers aren't talking to LA.

3rd and 4th line checkers are a dime a dozen and even a bad 2nd line center is worth 4 of those guys.
A bad 2nd line center with a $4.8 million cap hit? I love how Gagner has all of this untapped potential yet Clifford's ceiling is already reached as a 4th liner when he's almost a year and a half older than Clifford.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Same can be said of Gagner, he sucks defensively and on draws and his cap hit for what he brings blows. Clifford at least brings something to the table if he isn't scoring. Give me Clifford and $3+ million in cap space over Gagner and then use that cap space to get a real 2C.
But why settle for something you don't have to? If they trade him for Clifford, they better be getting someone else with him.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
But why settle for something you don't have to? If they trade him for Clifford, they better be getting someone else with him.
Personally I'd move him straight up for Clifford to free up cap space to make some big FA pitches. That said I definitely wouldn't turn down something else of value coming back with Clifford.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'd rather trade Gagner for an actual player and sign a 2C in the offseason when we have tons of room to do it anyway.

I know you don't like Gagner but you should realize his trade value is much higher than Clifford + (read: 4th liner +).

Old
02-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
I'd rather trade Gagner for an actual player and sign a 2C in the offseason when we have tons of room to do it anyway.

I know you don't like Gagner but you should realize his trade value is much higher than Clifford + (read: 4th liner +).
Gagner as an RFA? Sure, Gagner as a $4.8 million cap hit? We'll see about that if/when he gets dealt. MacT will surely try and maximize the trade return, so I hope that some of you don't get pissed at MacT and think that he could've gotten Couturier if the return is Clifford and a 2nd or a prospect. Because if MacT was offered Couturier the deal would've been done by now.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Ice Whole

I think this belongs here if not, my bad but...

@RealKyper: It's believed St.Louis did ask #Lightning 4 trade when left off Canada. I'm told some #NHL clubs not sure if he still feels the same way now

Wonder if the Callahan for MSL speculation is true or if there is something to it.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post

@RealKyper: It's believed St.Louis did ask #Lightning 4 trade when left off Canada. I'm told some #NHL clubs not sure if he still feels the same way now

Wonder if the Callahan for MSL speculation is true or if there is something to it.
Is it just me or is this a little petty from St. Louis? The GM of your team is also the GM of team Canada and he leaves you off. So you request a trade?

They should be independent from each other and it screams unprofessional for a guy to request a trade for not (initially) making the best team in the world.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:35 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Is it just me or is this a little petty from St. Louis? The GM of your team is also the GM of team Canada and he leaves you off. So you request a trade?

They should be independent from each other and it screams unprofessional for a guy to request a trade for not (initially) making the best team in the world.
ya, brtual especially at the thought that Stevy put him on the team after he had a fit. He was pretty bad I though, he didn't generate any offence the whole tournament.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:

Agreed. I don't think it went down, but if it was true, I'd tell him to grow up.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:46 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

MSL handled the initial decision to leave him off poorly when he talked about it publicly. This makes him look even worse.

I feel bad for Stevie Y - he's as classy as it gets, and to be put in this position sucks. No wonder he's already said he won't GM again for Team Canada.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:49 PM
oil Leaks
Unit 01

Quote:
Clifford and Bogo seem's to be in everybody's wishlist when it comes to trade proposals.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:55 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post

I think there is legs to this rumor, Stevie Y stepped down today from Hockey Canada Executive President.

And if True, Marty St.Louis.....is a big, or should I say little

Old
02-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:

He'd been left off two consecutive Olympic rosters by his own GM despite being one of the best offensive players in the NHL.

He probably should have been more professional about it, but I suspect he was feeling significantly disrespected at that point; not to mention extremely disappointed that he lost out on his last chance for a gold medal(at the time).

Closed Thread