HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are The Rangers Less Popular Than They Used To Be?

Old
02-13-2007, 12:47 AM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
I was there last night and at the game back in November. There were definitely more Ranger fans at the game in November (40-50%).

Last I'd say maybe 20% and that's probably pushing it. I could hear some faint Ranger chants several sections away, but I think I was the only Ranger fan in my whole section.

There were lots of Ranger fans at warmups though. I got there real early to stake out a spot near the tunnel where the Rangers come out. I got glove taps from pretty much everyone on the team and Nylander gave my Dad a puck because he was wearing a Team Sweden jersey. A perfect night overall.

P.S. I went to the Caps practice facility in Virginia that morning and saw Pascal Dupuis warming up with Coach Pelino. Can't really evaluate him that much off an individual warmup, but he sure looked happy to be wearing a Ranger sweater.
OMG dude.
I was there in warm ups.
I saw Nylander give the puck to somebody, I was right there on the other side of the tunnel taking pictures, I bet you saw me or were in one of my pictures there.

How do you post them on here?

You said you were at both games this season, and that this one in Feb had a lot less fans than in NOV, maybe it was an off night?
You think?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:49 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I was there last night as well. Saw a lot of jerseys but not a whole lot of noise. I tried to get a few lets go Rangers chants going and minus a couple of pockets nobody was into it. Not even after we went up 4-2. Very disappointing. There were louder Rangers fans vs the Coyotes and this was just a train ride away.
I agree.
I was there in warm ups and thought wow we are going to dominate, only to then see we had much less than 1) normal in DC for NYR 2) normal for anybody in DC 3) than we have in BOS.

What gives?
Bad night?
Why? Inconsistgent season, Cap promo?

Old
02-13-2007, 01:01 AM
MountVancouver'94

After spening my whole existence in Manhattan...I now live in DC as of this past year. I have gone to both NYR games down here, aswell as other Caps games simply because of my love for Hockey. And let me tell you...PITTS in town, it's 60-40 Penguins fans...Philly, 70-30...etc. etc. They can't get anyone ot come see Ovi...and yes they can't even get Rangers fans to travel here on the road anymore. Back in the early 90's, the road tour was : BOS (the Graden), Philly (The Sloppy Rectum), DC (the old Cap Center!!!) and the occasion igloo. Hell I loved it more than going to the MSG.

It's a damn shame...as a huge hockey fan, we need cities like DC & Pitts, and Boston to flourish in the NHL. I want people to sell out arenas. I don't want hockey to ever go away again.

P.S. At this past Sat's game down here in DC...I was wearing a "Brashear Is Garbage" T-Shirt during warmps. (anyone see me???).I planted myself right behind the Caps net and pressed my chest up against the glass for the entire pre-skate. Brashear and Heward shot pucks at my face and gave me nasty looks. But not one fan said a word to me...

Man do I hate Donald!

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:15 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVancouver'94 View Post
After spening my whole existence in Manhattan...I now live in DC as of this past year. I have gone to both NYR games down here, aswell as other Caps games simply because of my love for Hockey. And let me tell you...PITTS in town, it's 60-40 Penguins fans...Philly, 70-30...etc. etc. They can't get anyone ot come see Ovi...and yes they can't even get Rangers fans to travel here on the road anymore. Back in the early 90's, the road tour was : BOS (the Graden), Philly (The Sloppy Rectum), DC (the old Cap Center!!!) and the occasion igloo. Hell I loved it more than going to the MSG.

It's a damn shame...as a huge hockey fan, we need cities like DC & Pitts, and Boston to flourish in the NHL. I want people to sell out arenas. I don't want hockey to ever go away again.

P.S. At this past Sat's game down here in DC...I was wearing a "Brashear Is Garbage" T-Shirt during warmps. (anyone see me???).I planted myself right behind the Caps net and pressed my chest up against the glass for the entire pre-skate. Brashear and Heward shot pucks at my face and gave me nasty looks. But not one fan said a word to me...

Man do I hate Donald!
1) Are others on here right that in the first game, we had a lot more fans?

2) Back in the 90s, did we have a lot of fans in PHI and BOS?
It always seems like we don't have in PHI many fans but do in BOS, was this the case then?
Thanks.

Old
02-13-2007, 07:05 AM
Dash2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucker View Post
1) Are others on here right that in the first game, we had a lot more fans?

2) Back in the 90s, did we have a lot of fans in PHI and BOS?
It always seems like we don't have in PHI many fans but do in BOS, was this the case then?
Thanks.
Like I said before, I was at the game back in november and it seriously felt like almost half of the arena were Ranger fans. It might have only been 40% tops, but from the sound of things, it was significantly more than saturday's game.

I'm sure an overwhelming majority of Ranger fans at Caps games are just transplanted New Yorkers like myself, I don't really see people making that kind of road trip in a 82 game season, but I have heard of some.

My friend from back home took the train down here for november's game, but I wasn't able to get him to do the same for last weekend. I can't even find anyone to meet me in Philly for a weekend game. Either people don't care enough or I just have really lazy friends.

Dash2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:35 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVancouver'94 View Post

Man do I hate Donald!
WHERE DO I GET ONE OF THOSE T-SHIRTS???!!!

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote