HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ice Goalie Equipment

Old
02-20-2014, 01:28 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Ice Goalie Equipment

Hi, I've been playing hockey as a skater for a couple years but have always loved playing goalie when I used to play street hockey. Now I'm looking to try it out on ice. I know its a huge investment but am willing to spend the money over time. To start with I'd like to go pretty cheap since I only play with lower league players.

So I have a question regarding gear. Has anyone heard of Powertek Ice goalie gear? I'm looking for some reviews but can't seem to find much. Probably a bad thing but was wondering if anyone had any experience. For example I'm able to buy some leg pads for $250 from a guy barely used but it sems like that's a bit cheap.

Also what's some gear that you think I can buy used and stuff I should buy new ( Jock is obvious )

How much should I realistically expect to pay?

Maybe some advice? What are some top challenges for beginner goalies?

Thanks!

pdogfizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Caeldan
Whippet Whisperer

vCash: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogfizzle View Post
Hi, I've been playing hockey as a skater for a couple years but have always loved playing goalie when I used to play street hockey. Now I'm looking to try it out on ice. I know its a huge investment but am willing to spend the money over time. To start with I'd like to go pretty cheap since I only play with lower league players.

So I have a question regarding gear. Has anyone heard of Powertek Ice goalie gear? I'm looking for some reviews but can't seem to find much. Probably a bad thing but was wondering if anyone had any experience. For example I'm able to buy some leg pads for $250 from a guy barely used but it sems like that's a bit cheap.

Also what's some gear that you think I can buy used and stuff I should buy new ( Jock is obvious )

How much should I realistically expect to pay?

Maybe some advice? What are some top challenges for beginner goalies?

Thanks!
For all of your equipment, depending on your area and what you can find new/used -- you'll be looking at 500-1000 to start.
The quality of the equipment matters at the level you start playing at too. If you can find a rookie league where they aren't firing slapshots, then you don't need as good of equipment as you would if you might be facing former junior players.
Most people will suggest jock and helmet should be your brand new purchases, potentially skates as well.

Otherwise, take the time to read up on the position... watch some youtube videos to learn technique. Practice your shuffle steps and how to get across the crease. Same with practicing getting up with either leg as depending which direction you want to go when down on your knees you'll need to pick up a different leg.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:20 PM
ganave

I would check out the Facebook group "Sell Your Goalie Gear", I bought a nearly new set of Vaughn V4\5 for less than $500. Buy your helmet new and spend at least $250 on it and get a goalie jock. I'm in year two of being a goalie and honestly you won't know what kind of pads, blocker, catcher you'll like.

That said if you want to pay for shipping I can send you a free Bauer x4 blocker and a koho catcher that's just sitting around, just PM me with your address

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 10:55 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
I would check out the Facebook group "Sell Your Goalie Gear", I bought a nearly new set of Vaughn V4\5 for less than $500. Buy your helmet new and spend at least $250 on it and get a goalie jock. I'm in year two of being a goalie and honestly you won't know what kind of pads, blocker, catcher you'll like.

That said if you want to pay for shipping I can send you a free Bauer x4 blocker and a koho catcher that's just sitting around, just PM me with your address
That would be awesome! Thank you so much Ganave! sent you a PM

Old
02-22-2014, 03:26 PM
ScJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogfizzle View Post
That would be awesome! Thank you so much Ganave! sent you a PM
If you are near Ottawa I can give you a few sticks. Got a few used less then 4 hours (im a gear *****) that retail for $150.

New; Jock.

Used; Everything else.

Key things;

helmet. Make sure its in good condition. I recommend NOT getting a Itech/Bauer 1200 or 1400. It has a plastic shell and is not safe.

Pads. Make sure they fit your knee. Measure your ankle to knee (ATK) from outside ankle bone to middle of knee if you are buying online and that should be able to show you if it will fit. If it doesn't your pads wont move properly and everytime you butterfly your knees will hit the ice.

ScJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:25 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScJeff View Post
If you are near Ottawa I can give you a few sticks. Got a few used less then 4 hours (im a gear *****) that retail for $150.

New; Jock.

Used; Everything else.

Key things;

helmet. Make sure its in good condition. I recommend NOT getting a Itech/Bauer 1200 or 1400. It has a plastic shell and is not safe.

Pads. Make sure they fit your knee. Measure your ankle to knee (ATK) from outside ankle bone to middle of knee if you are buying online and that should be able to show you if it will fit. If it doesn't your pads wont move properly and everytime you butterfly your knees will hit the ice.
No unfortunately I'm from PA in the states so that doesn't work but thanks for the offer! Also great advice. Especially since I'm just gonna be starting out and will upgrade after a couple of years.

I've been checking out the facebook page and it definitely looks like there are some nice deals. Thanks for the advice guys!