HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Deadline

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2014, 10:45 AM
  #976
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 18,376
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd be interested in MSL for Read, but not MSL for Laughton+First

DrinkFightFlyers is online now  
Old
02-24-2014, 10:48 AM
  #977
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 17,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericWONT View Post
As sweet as getting MSL would be, rumors are flying about the Rangers sending Callahan for a one for one trade with MSL.

I don't think the Flyers have anyone else to match that kind of trade with.
Matt Read. He isn't as good as Callahan, but is controlled for the next 4 years. Who would you rather have, Callahan til the end or Read for the next four? Even if they want to re-sign Cally, he is looking for 7-8 years worth up to 6.75 annually. That is just too much for Cally. I am a big fan of his too.

Prongo is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 11:11 AM
  #978
The Couturier Effect
Registered User
 
The Couturier Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 4,341
vCash: 500
This team is NOT a contender and adding MSL won't change that unless Hedman is coming back in the deal as well. Even if he hasn't shown signs of slowing down, 38 years old is 38 years old. The likelihood of him retiring after this year or the next is a lot higher than if we traded for a 30 year old. By the time this team is ready to contend, Marty would most likely be gone and the assets that were traded for him would be essentially wasted.

The Couturier Effect is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 11:18 AM
  #979
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy
 
jabba2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
This team is NOT a contender and adding MSL won't change that unless Hedman is coming back in the deal as well. Even if he hasn't shown signs of slowing down, 38 years old is 38 years old. The likelihood of him retiring after this year or the next is a lot higher than if we traded for a 30 year old. By the time this team is ready to contend, Marty would most likely be gone and the assets that were traded for him would be essentially wasted.
Agree MSL not worth giving up assets for. This teams biggest weakness is clearing the zone on the backend.

jabba2 is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 11:30 AM
  #980
Striiker
Weal's #1 fan
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,484
vCash: 500
No to MSL

No to Callahan

Neither make sense right now.

Striiker is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 11:36 AM
  #981
hatcher
Registered User
 
hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 3,559
vCash: 500
I'd be willing to sacrifice some youth for Weber. Schenn or Couts+Hagg+2 Firsts and that still leaves us Laughton,Morin,Ghost,Cousins,Alt. We would be in good shape but I don't know that would be enough to get him.

hatcher is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 11:58 AM
  #982
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Goderich, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,650
vCash: 500
I'm worried about a possible acquisition of MSL. If he went to Tampa Bay management and asked for trade because he was upset he didn't get named to the Olympic team, what happens if Berube decides to put him on the second line with Schenn and Lecavalier and not the first with Giroux and Voracek? I mean, yes, MSL is a great player, but to throw a temper tantrum and demand a trade because your own GM wouldn't name you to the Olympic Team? That's cheap and shallow.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 12:02 PM
  #983
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 74,471
vCash: 500
Giving up assets for MSL is what you do if you're in contention. The Flyers aren't in contention.

The only way I'm fine with it is if it's a complete, laughable steal.

__________________
Saturday night, I like to raise a little harm. I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 12:18 PM
  #984
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 18,376
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Giving up assets for MSL is what you do if you're in contention. The Flyers aren't in contention.

The only way I'm fine with it is if it's a complete, laughable steal.
Yeah, I think you are right. I am going to go back and change my position that I would not be interested in MSL for Read. I didn't really realize how good Read was until I was thinking about the comparison of Read to Callahan. Pretty much the same age and comparable stats. Granted, Callahan has been doing it longer and more consistently, but still.

I still wouldn't be opposed to getting MSL, even if it wasn't a "laughable steal." But no high draft picks, no Laughtons/Morins/Haags, and no Reads or Simmondses. Not really sure what I would give up, but certainly none of those (or the obvious Voraceks and Girouxs).

DrinkFightFlyers is online now  
Old
02-24-2014, 12:23 PM
  #985
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 15,010
vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah, I think you are right. I am going to go back and change my position that I would not be interested in MSL for Read. I didn't really realize how good Read was until I was thinking about the comparison of Read to Callahan. Pretty much the same age and comparable stats. Granted, Callahan has been doing it longer and more consistently, but still.

I still wouldn't be opposed to getting MSL, even if it wasn't a "laughable steal." But no high draft picks, no Laughtons/Morins/Haags, and no Reads or Simmondses. Not really sure what I would give up, but certainly none of those (or the obvious Voraceks and Girouxs).
Akeson, Manning, Lauridsen and a 3rd. GET ER DUN

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 12:24 PM
  #986
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 18,376
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Akeson, Manning, Lauridsen and a 3rd. GET ER DUN
Haha, yeah I'd love that. Not so sure the Bolts would. I don't think a deal should get done here. MSL is going to be too pricey. He may be worth the deal in some circumstances, but not the Flyers this season.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now  
Old
02-24-2014, 12:29 PM
  #987
kelmitchell
Registered User
 
kelmitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newark Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Akeson, Manning, Lauridsen and a 3rd. GET ER DUN
Oh good god sir, are you trying to destroy our team? Those are the players that we are giving to st. Louis for petierangelo jay bo Alex steen and their first!!

kelmitchell is online now  
Old
02-24-2014, 12:42 PM
  #988
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
Any additional incoming cap dollars should be towards the d. Don't see why anyone would want a 38 MSL. He doesn't put the Flyers over the top and makes it harder to improve the d next year. I am also a huge MSL fan. Just don't see the need at all.

BillDineen is online now  
Old
02-24-2014, 12:43 PM
  #989
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 15,010
vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha, yeah I'd love that. Not so sure the Bolts would. I don't think a deal should get done here. MSL is going to be too pricey. He may be worth the deal in some circumstances, but not the Flyers this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmitchell View Post
Oh good god sir, are you trying to destroy our team? Those are the players that we are giving to st. Louis for petierangelo jay bo Alex steen and their first!!
Bolts would likely add a throw in contract like Hedman to make the deal work.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 12:53 PM
  #990
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: central NH
Country: United States
Posts: 43,119
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Akeson, Manning, Lauridsen and a 3rd. GET ER DUN
the Flyers would need to send more salary then that to make it work.
I still am not buying Kyperios saying MSL is on the block. He is likely more unreliable then you know who

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 01:00 PM
  #991
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 19,040
vCash: 500
New Thread

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.