HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers blew it by not selecting Maatta

Old
02-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 444
the only way for Laughton to win this conversation is Maatta busting

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
I assume you mean that people won't let it go unless Maatta busts, and not that you truly believe this.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
Quote:
What if Laughton captains the Flyers to back to back titles in 2024 and 2025?

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I assume you mean that people won't let it go unless Maatta busts, and not that you truly believe this.
no, i think so because it's not like we didn't pick Zetterberg,Datsyuk,Weber in the 1st rd but because at the time Maatta sounded like the logical pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
What if Laughton captains the Flyers to back to back titles in 2024 and 2025?
if he becomes a captain then that's a good thing and bad for Giroux.

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Well Giroux may well be retired or traded by 2024.

02-24-2014, 02:04 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
no, i think so because it's not like we didn't pick Zetterberg,Datsyuk,Weber in the 1st rd but because at the time Maatta sounded like the logical pick.
While I agree it would have made sense to pick Maatta, it usually makes sense to pick the BPA. Many things can happen short of Maatta being a complete bust that would tilt the scales toward Laughton being the right pick.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:12 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Not to mention, Maatta slid about 10 spots from where he was originally predicted to go. Obviously the Flyers weren't the only team with concerns about him.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 03:03 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
then let's just Draft BPA every time because you never what could happen in the future.

i'm talking about someone who can contribute on both ends of the ice"which is the case with Maatta", we already know the result of having too many guys who can only play Defense.
actually, that's a very good argument FOR drafting BPA all the time. generally (if you are good at scouting) you end up with a much better prospect pool that way.

You also seem to believe that Maata would be able to play the same for us. The pens were good before he got there. We are not, we would probably put more pressure on this kid.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Tripod

I wanted us to take Matta because AT THE TIME, I felt he was the BPA AND he fit our need.

I will never compare Laughton to Janikowski who got drafted right after Laughton because I didn't have him up there. I had Matta going well before he did. Much like Hagg last year. He fell to us and we took him. Very happy with that.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:15 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
you leave a guy who was ranked above Trouba,Pouliot,Reinhart,Dumba
Who said the Flyers themselves ranked Maata higher than Dumba, Pouliot, Reinhart, and Trouba? Get me in on the Flyers sources you have.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Who said the Flyers themselves ranked Maata higher than Dumba, Pouliot, Reinhart, and Trouba? Get me in on the Flyers sources you have.
The scouting services didn't really see it that way neither. Maatta was behind Reinhart, Dumba, & Trouba on most of them.

Maatta:
TSN- 10
CS- 8
ISS- 12
THN- 20
Button- 28

Reinhart:
TSN- 4
CS- 10
ISS- 6
THN- 8
Button- 6

Dumba:
TSN- 6
CS- 11
ISS- 8
THN- 5
Button- 2

Trouba:
TSN- 9
CS- 9
ISS- 5
THN- 9
Button- 12

Pouliot:
TSN- 17
CS- 12
ISS- 22
THN- 13
Button- 18

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:47 PM
FLYguy3911

IIRC Button didn't even have him in his top 60 (or he might have had him as a late 2nd rounder) up until the final rankings. Button said the only reason he changed his assessment was at the urging of some people he "trusted ".

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:38 PM
lancer247

Didn't Goligoski look outstanding playing on a Pen's team with Crosby, Malkin, etc.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Didn't Goligoski look outstanding playing on a Pen's team with Crosby, Malkin, etc.
Goligoski is a top 4 defender on just about any team. I have no clue what dallas was thinking in that trade , but my god they handed some talented players to Pitt on a silver platter.

Maatta is good regardless of who he plays for. If he was a flyer the trickle down effect could have been huge. It may have led to us not signing streit.

Maatta would have been a staple for our top 4 for the next 5 years. Meanwhile where does Laughton fit in? He is going to struggle to crack our top 9 for the next couple of years especially if we resign Raffl.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:29 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Goligoski is a top 4 defender on just about any team. I have no clue what dallas was thinking in that trade , but my god they handed some talented players to Pitt on a silver platter.

Maatta is good regardless of who he plays for. If he was a flyer the trickle down effect could have been huge. It may have led to us not signing streit.

Maatta would have been a staple for our top 4 for the next 5 years. Meanwhile where does Laughton fit in? He is going to struggle to crack our top 9 for the next couple of years especially if we resign Raffl.
Wasn't Goligoski a healthy scratch several times the past two seasons?
I know he was off to a horrendous start this season. Pretty sure he was a healthy scratch then Robidas and another man went down.

Either way I'd take both Goligoski and Maatta but it is an easier transition when you are surrounded by great talent. Krug is talented but does he blow up like that on another team?

Last edited by lancer247: 02-25-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old
02-25-2014, 11:38 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Would have been nice to have Maatta and kept JVR...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:28 PM
DoobeeDoobeeDoo
The Doobster

vCash: 533
Flyers wanted Tom Wilson I believe. Scott Laughton was the closest thing to Tom Wilson on the board at the time. As a Pens fan I would love to think the Flyers blew it and overlooked Maatta, but I don't think that's the type of player the Flyers wanted at the time. Can't be upset tho, you guys struck gold with Morin & Hagg this past draft, so I think it makes up for missing out on Maatta. I really love that Olli Maatta tho.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobeeDoobeeDoo View Post
Flyers wanted Tom Wilson I believe. Scott Laughton was the closest thing to Tom Wilson on the board at the time. As a Pens fan I would love to think the Flyers blew it and overlooked Maatta, but I don't think that's the type of player the Flyers wanted at the time. Can't be upset tho, you guys struck gold with Morin & Hagg this past draft, so I think it makes up for missing out on Maatta. I really love that Olli Maatta tho.

The flyers never draft players like Olli Maatta. And that is what drives this fanbase crazy. We are a team that is in need of mobile defenders with puck skills and an offensive upside. Whereas the pens have those type of guys in spades in pouliot , maatta, despres, and letang. Morin won't be a major factor until he is 23-25, and hagg won't have the type of impact as maatta.

Old
02-26-2014, 06:43 AM
flyershockey

You have no clue when Morin will be a major factor. Not a lot of people saw Maatta making an impact at 19.

The Flyers do have prospects with puck skills and offensive upside. Hagg certainly fits the bill, Morin too. And have you forgot about Ghost and Gus?

Old
02-26-2014, 06:58 AM
lancer247

Quote:
The flyers never draft players like Olli Maatta. And that is what drives this fanbase crazy. We are a team that is in need of mobile defenders with puck skills and an offensive upside. Whereas the pens have those type of guys in spades in pouliot , maatta, despres, and letang. Morin won't be a major factor until he is 23-25, and hagg won't have the type of impact as maatta.
I think "never" ended 3 or 4 years ago. They drafted, traded for and signed guys like Ghost, Gus, Alt, Wilcox and Hagg.

Also, how do you know Hagg won't have an impact like Maata? He is just as skilled and athletic with more size already playing with men.

They obviously like Laughton more then Maata. I liked Maata at the draft and couldn't believe when he dropped to the Flyers. For whatever reason their scouts saw more in Laughton as did 20-something other scouts that passed on Maata. Let's let a few seasons play out before we judge draft picks as mistakes.

Old
02-26-2014, 07:21 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
If Morin won't be a major factor until age 23, he'll be doing it for someone else. The Flyers won't wait that long for a 1st round pick, they don't even like leaving them in the AHL for more than a handful of games.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I think "never" ended 3 or 4 years ago. They drafted, traded for and signed guys like Ghost, Gus, Alt, Wilcox and Hagg.

Also, how do you know Hagg won't have an impact like Maata? He is just as skilled and athletic with more size already playing with men.

They obviously like Laughton more then Maata. I liked Maata at the draft and couldn't believe when he dropped to the Flyers. For whatever reason their scouts saw more in Laughton as did 20-something other scouts that passed on Maata. Let's let a few seasons play out before we judge draft picks as mistakes.
If you watched the WJC , you would see that maata and Hagg just have different games.

Maatta is making an impact at the nhl level right now. His season is very impressive.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:04 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If Morin won't be a major factor until age 23, he'll be doing it for someone else. The Flyers won't wait that long for a 1st round pick, they don't even like leaving them in the AHL for more than a handful of games.
Agreed. Major factor is kind of a relative term. He may not be the shutdown dman he projects to be by age 23 but he'll be up taking his lumps no later then age 21.

I'd like to see him up around 220-225lbs when he comes up. His style of play will make him a target so I'd like to see him somewhat developed physically.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:06 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
If you watched the WJC , you would see that maata and Hagg just have different games.

Maatta is making an impact at the nhl level right now. His season is very impressive.
Maatta didn't even play in the WJC this year. By all accounts, Maatta's second appearance last year was disappointing. Hagg was good to great at times in his second appearance this year, and figures to be a top pairing guy next year. His game will be even more important for the Swedes on the North American ice.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I was just basing that off of recent comparatives suchs as Chara , Hedman, and pronger.