HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
I'd be ecstatic with Ekblad.
Super happy with Bennet or Reinhart.
Happy with a noticeable shrug with Dal Colle, Draisatl.
Unhappy, but not surprised, with Virtanen. Doesn't he just scream "Oiler" to you?
Can he hit the crest from between the circles?

Old
02-23-2014, 09:52 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
I'd be ecstatic with Ekblad.
Super happy with Bennet or Reinhart.
Happy with a noticeable shrug with Dal Colle, Draisatl.
Unhappy, but not surprised, with Virtanen. Doesn't he just scream "Oiler" to you?
The oilers don't have anyone like Virtanen..

Old
02-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
The oilers don't have anyone like Virtanen..
TBH at his size and weight with those pims I'm guessing he's a bit like Gilbert Brule. A small guy who played like a power forward in junior and really needs to play more like a pacifist in the nhl if he wants to stay healthy.

I'm not all about drafting by size but that guy needs to weigh 225, not 180, to play like that in the nhl.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
TBH at his size and weight with those pims I'm guessing he's a bit like Gilbert Brule. A small guy who played like a power forward in junior and really needs to play more like a pacifist in the nhl if he wants to stay healthy.

I'm not all about drafting by size but that guy needs to weigh 225, not 180, to play like that in the nhl.
6'1" 210lbs. = play like a ***** or get killed in the NHL? Is this the same Virtanen that I'm thinking of?

02-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
6'1" 210lbs. = play like a ***** or get killed in the NHL? Is this the same Virtanen that I'm thinking of?
Was about to post the same thing. ISS has him at 213. Add to that the fact he is one of the youngest players in the draft (doesn't turn 18 until mid August) and may not be done growing, and it's not a stretch to suggest he plays at 220-225 by the time he is NHL ready.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Was about to post the same thing. ISS has him at 213. Add to that the fact he is one of the youngest players in the draft (doesn't turn 18 until mid August) and may not be done growing, and it's not a stretch to suggest he plays at 220-225 by the time he is NHL ready.
I've also heard from a lot of WHL fans that he is a bull on skates, very strong on his feet.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:37 PM
Craig MacAtaracts
Visually...

vCash: 855
I would be very happy coming out of this draft with Virtanen, even if we reached for him. 1D and 2C aren't the only needs on this team. I've seen this team disappear in physical games far too many times the past couple of years to believe that we couldn't use a Benn/E.Kane/Ladd type player.

On a side note, I keep seeing Virtanen listed as C/LW in some places, but I have only seen him play LW and RW. Could anyone who watches the Hitmen a lot chime in on if he is able to play centre at all? Personally, I see his game better suited to the wing, but if he able to play centre as well, that versatility could be pretty valuable.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:49 PM
17Kurri

Yes please to Virtanen. Maybe I'm the only one, but he reminds me so much of Lazar and I was fully on the Lazar bandwagon last year.

Of course, we'll have to get out of a bottom 5 finish to warrant prioritizing needs over talent, but he'll definitely be in the bpa discussion in the 4-7 range, imo.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:34 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post

You would be guessing all right.

And you would be wrong. Again.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:39 AM
Baggers

Montreal and Subban still haven't agreed to a new contract. Would you trade the Oilers' 2014 1st for Subban?

Old
02-24-2014, 12:44 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
Montreal and Subban still haven't agreed to a new contract. Would you trade the Oilers' 2014 1st for Subban?
Absolutely, but it'll take more than that. It's too bad we can't go back and deal our 1st from 2012

02-24-2014, 10:20 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Our players requesting to be traded are about as ridiculous as your 1-sided deals (the Yandle one is preposterous). There is no quick fixes, period. So expecting to get a Yandle caliber Dman and fix this club in 1 year is high fantasy.
You think Yandle+Korpikoski for Sam Reinhart or Bennett is one sided? Maybe we add a guy like Klefbom, but I personally think both centers have more value then RNH had in the 2011 draft. And the rumored asking price for RNH was Ottawa 6th overall+Erik Karlsson.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Absolutely, but it'll take more than that. It's too bad we can't go back and deal our 1st from 2012
If I were to guess, it would be the pick (which would have to be top 3) + Yak + Petry. That might get them interested enough. Then there'd still be the issue of getting him under contract, which rumours have him asking between 8-9 mil per.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:20 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I've also heard from a lot of WHL fans that he is a bull on skates, very strong on his feet.
i have seen JV more than any other draft eligible player and he is awesome. He is Andrew Ladd from 10 years ago. I have seen him play over 20 times in the last few years live he is a great player.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:21 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sVpph View Post
I would be very happy coming out of this draft with Virtanen, even if we reached for him. 1D and 2C aren't the only needs on this team. I've seen this team disappear in physical games far too many times the past couple of years to believe that we couldn't use a Benn/E.Kane/Ladd type player.

On a side note, I keep seeing Virtanen listed as C/LW in some places, but I have only seen him play LW and RW. Could anyone who watches the Hitmen a lot chime in on if he is able to play centre at all? Personally, I see his game better suited to the wing, but if he able to play centre as well, that versatility could be pretty valuable.
i have seen him take a handful of draws but no he doesnt play C

Old
02-24-2014, 12:58 PM
dyzfunctioned

I actually like Virtanen but he'd be quite the reach if we're picking top 5 IMO. I'd be pretty unhappy if we took him before any of Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett/Dal Colle... after those guys you could make a case for any of Nylander/Perlini/Virtanen/Ritchie/Draisatl though I have to admit that Virtanen is probably my least favourite of that list.

Old
02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Just an aside... but other than Ekblad this might be the weakest draft for dmen in many, many years.

There's Fleury/Honka/McKeown and not a whole lot of other decent looking top D prospects out there.

I think that will contribute as well to Ekblad going #1 with almost 100% certainty... there's such a drop between him and anything else remotely considered to be a #1 or even top pairing type dman in terms of potential.

It looks like a decent/average year for forwards but for Dmen it's pretty mediocre (again when you get past Ekblad and a couple others).

Old
02-24-2014, 02:02 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Just an aside... but other than Ekblad this might be the weakest draft for dmen in many, many years.

There's Fleury/Honka/McKeown and not a whole lot of other decent looking top D prospects out there.

I think that will contribute as well to Ekblad going #1 with almost 100% certainty... there's such a drop between him and anything else remotely considered to be a #1 or even top pairing type dman in terms of potential.

It looks like a decent/average year for forwards but for Dmen it's pretty mediocre (again when you get past Ekblad and a couple others).
I wonder if we drop to 5 if McT considers taking Fluery then with how thin the blueline prospects are.

Old
02-24-2014, 03:01 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I wonder if we drop to 5 if McT considers taking Fluery then with how thin the blueline prospects are.
i would argue that our forward prospects are way worse off than our defence prospects

Klefbom/Marincin/Nurse/Fedun/Gernat > Pitlick, Lander Kharia

Old
02-24-2014, 03:32 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i would argue that our forward prospects are way worse off than our defence prospects

Klefbom/Marincin/Nurse/Fedun/Gernat > Pitlick, Lander Kharia
I completely agree.

Old
02-24-2014, 03:52 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I agree... Oilers should be focusing on a 2C or a big winger if they don't get Ekblad.

I was just commenting generally how weak this draft is looking for dmen. Everything goes in cycles and the last few draft have been much deeper on D.

If the Oilers don't get Ekblad I wouldn't go with the "next best" D. I'd definitely be targeting Bennett/Ritchie if they choose 3rd or 4th (assuming Ekblad/Reinhart go 1-2).

If they pick at #5 I don't know who I'd choose between DalColle/Draisaitl/Virtanen/Perlini... might be hard to pass on Draisaitl at that point.

Old
02-24-2014, 04:13 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

i think at this point we should be drafting BPA for the future, regardless of position. We need depth everywhere and it starts with being able to develop players properly and in a proper timeline.

Old
02-24-2014, 04:14 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I agree... Oilers should be focusing on a 2C or a big winger if they don't get Ekblad.

I was just commenting generally how weak this draft is looking for dmen. Everything goes in cycles and the last few draft have been much deeper on D.

If the Oilers don't get Ekblad I wouldn't go with the "next best" D. I'd definitely be targeting Bennett/Ritchie if they choose 3rd or 4th (assuming Ekblad/Reinhart go 1-2).

If they pick at #5 I don't know who I'd choose between DalColle/Draisaitl/Virtanen/Perlini... might be hard to pass on Draisaitl at that point.
Draisaitl would be the BPA imo, then DalColle then Virtanen

Old
02-24-2014, 05:03 PM
phaedrusDH

still not enough love for Ritchie, i see.

Old
02-24-2014, 05:20 PM
wicked username

vCash: 50
oilers moving up?

Will the oilers keep winning games or at least get points here and there? Or did the long break ruin the momentum?

Closed Thread